Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2017.12.16 - Houston, TX @ Day for Night Festival

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
    I also echo the statements that I'm hoping for a stellar light production for this show. If it were to happen anywhere, I'd think it would happen there.
    Forget it. I asked 'kraw' and he denied. The visuals will be the same as we saw till now, he told me.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Ah that's a bit of a bummer. If they're going for the stripped down look I much prefer the 2009 can lights.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid A View Post
    TY playing on the blue stage makes me nervous. May have to skip St. V.
    Because of the size of the stage area?

TY Midnight-2AM Sunday night.... really? That's where the choped & screwed aardvark fighting a yak set needs to go. Don't people work anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
    I'll never forgive myself for not making plans to go to this festival mooonths ago before other plans got in the way. D': I hope everyone has an amazing time. Gonna have to go next year, NIN or not.

I also echo the statements that I'm hoping for a stellar light production for this show. If it were to happen anywhere, I'd think it would happen there.
    If you decide to go, do not buy tickets until 2 weeks out. You'll get 40-50% off their ridiculous prices when they realize they aren't ACL yet.

Quote Originally Posted by witte View Post
    Forget it. I asked 'kraw' and he denied. The visuals will be the same as we saw till now, he told me.
    Bummer indeed, mentioned earlier but I really think this is a missed opportunity for TRez to flex his artsy muscles to do something unique given the concept of this festival. lollapalooza/FYF/ACL are all essentially the same with little quirks, this seems genuinely different. NIN can go back to their standard(really good) visuals for the other fests.
    Last edited by ekrekel; 12-05-2017 at 02:19 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Yea, that space just doesn't look very big at all. Not complaining about that! All of the Tomorrow's Modern Boxes shows have started super late like that. His two shows in CA leading up to this one don't start until 10pm. And that's just when the opener starts. I'll definitely be flying home tired af Monday.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Who is ‘kraw’? And also, if Trent wanted to surprise us and keep it secret how would anyone know?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by streetman View Post
    Who is ‘kraw’? And also, if Trent wanted to surprise us and keep it secret how would anyone know?
    John Crawford, the current NIN Art Director. Rob's replacement. I hope there is a surprise but I'm convinced NIN isn't getting paid a ton and offsetting any custom dev would be tough with a festival that is currently selling tickets for 40-50% off.
    Last edited by ekrekel; 12-05-2017 at 03:38 PM.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    If you decide to go, do not buy tickets until 2 weeks out. You'll get 40-50% off their ridiculous prices when they realize they aren't ACL yet.
    For sure. After seeing how the prices were handled this time around I'm definitely gonna hold out for a discount next year.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    John Crawford, the current NIN Art Director. Rob's replacement. I hope there is a surprise but I'm convinced NIN isn't getting paid a ton and offsetting any custom dev would be tough with a festival that is currently selling tickets for 40-50% off.
    Why are you convinced they aren't getting paid a ton? I'm not disagreeing or anything, I'm just curious. Just because it's a festival show in general or something else?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iamclassic View Post
    Why are you convinced they aren't getting paid a ton? I'm not disagreeing or anything, I'm just curious. Just because it's a festival show in general or something else?
    I'm sure that's worked out ahead of time and not dependent upon ticket sales. This fest obviously is having trouble selling tickets (did last year as well) and may be strapped for cash trying to get this thing off the ground. Part of me thinks that TR/MMR being fans of these types of art installs may support it by taking less.

On the Thom Yorke discussion; I found some pictures of the Blue Stage area from last year(festival map). looks like a good amount of space, but it's a really long space and easy to wind up waaaay in the back or stuck on the side.

Last edited by ekrekel; 12-06-2017 at 08:37 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks for posting those pics. I'd only seen a couple others, but those give a much better feel for it. Total EU rave vibe. People on Reddit are saying that room filled up super fast last year.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    TY playing on the blue stage makes me nervous. May have to skip St. V.
    If you're into St.V setlist Spoiler: it looks like she plays mostly the same setlist every time in chronological order of her discography. 40 mins of early stuff then 40 mins for the latest album in its entirety. That lines up with her odd 1 hour 20 minute set time. I'm mostly into the new stuff, but might start thinking about bailing out after Young Lover to get inside for TY

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    If you're into St.V setlist Spoiler: it looks like she plays mostly the same setlist every time in chronological order of her discography. 40 mins of early stuff then 40 mins for the latest album in its entirety. That lines up with her odd 1 hour 20 minute set time. I'm mostly into the new stuff, but might start thinking about bailing out after Young Lover to get inside for TY
    I'm not a huge fan but I wanted to check her live show out. I'm really only going to this for NIN and TY though so I'm more than likely going to be at the blue stage for the duration of her set.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I am so fucking excited to see NIN again. This will be the third time since September as well as just my third time seeing them and I'm just as excited as the 2nd time. I don't know if this is a temporary obsession or not, but I'm riding the NIN high for as long as I can sustain it (financially & if it continues).

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'm sure that's worked out ahead of time and not dependent upon ticket sales. This fest obviously is having trouble selling tickets (did last year as well) and may be strapped for cash trying to get this thing off the ground. Part of me thinks that TR/MMR being fans of these types of art installs may support it by taking less.

On the Thom Yorke discussion; I found some pictures of the Blue Stage area from last year(festival map). looks like a good amount of space, but it's a really long space and easy to wind up waaaay in the back or stuck on the side.

Other than the nearby toilets overflowing, Blue is the best stage. All of the nearby light installations are nifty too.

Seriously, I know people are a little “eh” over the ticket prices dropping but this is the coolest fest I’ve ever been to, and I’ve been to most of them.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Downtown Houston is awesome, it makes for a cool view and atmosphere being in the middle of the town, tons of bars and clubs for afterparties, plenty of food...an awesome venue indoor and out, badass lineups and cool light shows.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Saw RTJ in the pouring rain last year...check out the backdrop. So excited.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Which stage is this and are you in some sort of vip area?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Which stage is this and are you in some sort of vip area?
    Green. And no, I bailed on Aphex so I couldn’t get a good spot.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Hope the forecast holds for no rain Saturday

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Hope the forecast holds for no rain Saturday
    Rain? The forecast I'm looking at has Saturday as sunny and 66.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by streetman View Post
    Rain? The forecast I'm looking at has Saturday as sunny and 66.
    Holds for no rain on Saturday.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    looks like they rotated some stages, specifically blue and red turned south facing and moved yellow inside. Hopefully that makes the TY sight lines a little better. Also people spilling in from Green won't be entering the crowd from the side.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    What time are you going to show up for TY? I'm thinking 9pm

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'm going to aim for 9:50 so I don't have to hear any of the Corbin set. Maybe a little earlier to get a jump on the Justice people waiting for his big hit (the one that goes ).

Sat is pretty straight forward. Show up sometime before 6, wander around lookin at lights, then Red stage all night for Pretty Lights - James Blake - NIN
    Sunday is Phantogram - Babyfather - Solange / Mount Kimbre - St. Vincent - TY

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    96 hours away from my first ever live NIN show. Super psyched!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    check out Cardi B if you can. Loving her verse on the new G Eazy track:

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Latest forecast is a cold Saturday and a decent Sunday. Few things for all the newbies to town:

There is no event parking. You’ll have to park in day lots and then renew at night. Best recommendation is to park along the Metrorail line and ride in. Park and Rides along the route are a good option.
    Downtown Houston is fun and really safe, but there are a lot of pickpockets. Last year, DFN recovered a bag with hundreds of cell phones.
    The interior is a gigantic hotbox. If you don’t like the smell of weed, upstairs for light shows might be a no-go.
    It’s a VERY OLD post office so unless they fixed it there were lots of bottlenecks trying to get from inside to out. Also, the toilets inside overflowed and sewage went everywhere.
    There are a lot of empty dark spots in the venue so once again, be aware.
    Will Call is a clusterfuck. If you’re going WC, my condolences.
    Explore the post office!! It’s cool as shit and there are so many cool hidden things in the nooks, stairwells, etc.
    There are tons of amazing places to eat and get drunk at downtown in Market Square and by the convention center. The bar scene is on Main in Market Square off of the rail.
    DO NOT GO TO THE MCDONALDS!
    The mall is closed on the weekends/downtown is huge so if you end up in the business district it’ll be abandoned. Very M-F. Same things for the tunnels. Mostly weekday.
    The movie theater used to be an awesome Sundance and now it’s an AMC so don’t go.
    Hotels in downtown are booked. Check the Med Center. Stay near the rail!! I’m staying at the downtown Doubletree.
    If anyone wants food/beer recs let me know.

I’m going to head over to the NIN Stage around 8:30 after Laurie.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Thanks for those tips! Bring on the weekend! Haven't had a NIN fix since the NIN/SG tour

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Forecast now showing PM showers Saturday...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Forecast now showing PM showers Saturday...
    Festival, Rain, T-Rez, Fink. Sounds like we have 4 ingredients for another one of these.....

Hey I can dream right?