Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Fragile 5.1 (or Atmos??) mix

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The Fragile 5.1 (or Atmos??) mix

What happened to it? Trent said it was done by Alan Moulder years ago.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Sandbag has received the orders and you will receive a shipping update soon.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Maybe it will show up as a new Deviations?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I suspect it has been permanently shit canned.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    I have a theory about this. Dolby has a new version of surround sound called Atmos. I found out about it recently because of the box set reissue of R.E.M.'s Automatic For The People. This will be the first album mixed in that format. So that got me thinking... I could totally picture TR having scrapped it so it could be redone to this new spec.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by klyrish View Post
    Sandbag has received the orders and you will receive a shipping update soon.
    I received an email update that a free Tension BRD (and apology) will be shipping with the TF 5.1 mix due to the inconveniences.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    s̶o̶o̶n̶

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    I have a theory about this. Dolby has a new version of surround sound called Atmos. I found out about it recently because of the box set reissue of R.E.M.'s Automatic For The People. This will be the first album mixed in that format. So that got me thinking... I could totally picture TR having scrapped it so it could be redone to this new spec.
    If you have the right surround sound setup that can truly process Atmos, it sounds amazing. It's no joke.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by piggy View Post
    Have a gander at the final sentence on today's announcement. It's a possibility...
    https://www.nin.com/the-social-netwo...tmos-3d-audio/

THIS WEEK MARKS 10 YEARS SINCE THE RELEASE OF THE ACADEMY AWARD-WINNING SCORE FOR THE SOCIAL NETWORK. IN CELEBRATION OF THE ANNIVERSARY, TRENT AND ATTICUS HAVE CREATED A NEWLY REMIXED VERSION OF THE SOUNDTRACK IN DOLBY ATMOS 3D AUDIO, PROVIDING AN IMMERSIVE LISTENING EXPERIENCE. THE NEW ATMOS MIX IS CURRENTLY ABLE TO STREAM RIGHT NOW ON AMAZON MUSIC HD. CLICK HERE.

LOOK FOR THIS TO BECOME MORE WIDELY AVAILABLE ON OTHER SUPPORTING SERVICES.

FROM TRENT:
    WHEN WE FINISHED THE SCORE, WE WERE IN A PHASE WHERE WE INTRIGUED BY THE POSSIBILITIES OF MIXING IN SURROUND. AT THE TIME, 5.1 WAS THE FORMAT OF CHOICE. OUR INTENTION WAS TO SPEND THREE DAYS AFTER FINISHING THE STEREO MIX AND ADAPT IT TO 5.1… THIRTY DAYS LATER WE FINISHED! WE FOUND THE MATERIAL WAS VERY SUITED TO THE SPACE AND WE WENT A LITTLE CRAZY.

JUMP TO THE PRESENT WHERE ATMOS HAS BECOME A VIABLE FORMAT AND WE THOUGHT IT WOULD BE COOL TO “ADAPT” THE APPROACH OF THE ORIGINAL 5.1 MIX INTO THE EXPANSIVE CANVAS ATMOS PROVIDES. OUR RESULTS ARE LIVE ON AMAZON MUSIC RIGHT NOW – CHECK IT OUT.

WE WERE GOING TO OFFER THE OPTION TO PURCHASE A DOWNLOAD, BUT WE COULDN’T GET IT TOGETHER TO PROVIDE THE MOST VIABLE FORMAT (STAY TUNED). WE ARE CONSIDERING MAKING SOME ULTRA HD BLU-RAY DISCS FOR YOUR HIGHEST-QUALITY ATMOS LISTENING PLEASURE.

UP NEXT, THE FRAGILE?
    Last edited by TheBang; 10-02-2020 at 07:22 PM. Reason: added announcement text

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Just saw it, and came here to post. This needs to happen and hope it’s not a tease. Or something that he keeps getting asked about for years on end like Tapeworm lol.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I read that final sentence, and the only thing that popped in my head was "Shut up, Trent."

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    this had better not be 'soon'. dammit.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Translation: “we’ve found another way to make you buy the fragile again. Still no deluxe yet.”

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Put those Ultra HD BluRay discs inside a vinyl sized album cover with a color booklet & I'll drop cash like I'm at the club.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    So, quick question: having this on Amazon Music HD means that Trent turned his back to iTunes? or simply iTunes can't handle that format? Same goes to spotify.

In their web site says you can try the service for free for 90 days, sounds like a good deal if you feel curious about listening to it.
    Last edited by alfonso99; 10-03-2020 at 11:26 AM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alfonso99 View Post
    So, quick question: having this on Amazon Music HD means that Trent turned his back to iTunes? or simply iTunes can't handle that format? Same goes to spotify.
    Trent stopped working for Apple Music a while ago, so there's no need for exclusivity anymore.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

In their web site says you can try the service for free for 90 days, sounds like a good deal if you feel curious about listening to it.
    spotify & most other streaming services deal in stereo only.

amazon HD uses different stuff and can offer music in surround formats. bullshit that it's not included with prime and requires an additional subscription, though. also haven't read up on device capability or anything. i don't have a surround receiver capable of atmos (just have a 5.1 setup) but i'm definitely interested in checking out the new TSN mix.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    No mention about ATMOS required overhead speakers, because hardly anyone understands how ATMOS works and why you should go and spend money on this latest bullshit (you should not).

I'm sure all seven people in the world who have correct ATMOS speaker setup and room treatment are enjoying it, but for the most people it's just the shiny new logo, new beautiful receiver so it must be good when I paid for that, and it does make SOME sound, but they couldn't even tell if e.g. one of their speakers had wrong polarity...
    Last edited by Substance242; 10-03-2020 at 02:32 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

If Trent truly cares about audio quality, he should've left Apple a long time ago. Even Amazon are offering lossless and HD music because they know this is where we're heading. Delivering 4K HDR and now hi res audio to customers. I heard even Spotify is discussing offering lossless music. Finally catching up.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    No mention about ATMOS required overhead speakers, because hardly anyone understands how ATMOS works and why you should go and spend money on this latest bullshit (you should not).

I'm sure all seven people in the world who have correct ATMOS speaker setup and room treatment are enjoying it, but for the most people it's just the shiny new logo, new beautiful receiver so it must be good when I paid for that, and it does make SOME sound, but they couldn't even tell if e.g. one of their speakers had wrong polarity...
    True, many people who have 5.1.2 (or more) system can't tell if a channel had reverse polarity, or simply don't care.
    For years I thought Dolby Atmos was a dead format, but it's clear that this is the direction musicians are currently interested in, if they want their music to be delivered in surround.
    King Crimson's debut album, mixed in Dolby Atmos by Steven Wilson is coming out later this year. SW's new solo album is also mixed in Atmos.
    Now Trent is offering TSN and teasing The Fragile mixed in Atmos, which probably won't be released for another decade, but if you want the high-end system I see nothing wrong with people making the move now.
    Just make sure you have proper 7.1 or 5.1.2 system with height speakers, as you mentioned.
    He should've been more clear since Atmos is not mere 5.1, although there are some speakers that integrates 2 height speakers into the front ones.
    Also there are virtual DTS:X/Dolby Atmos compatible soundbars, which reportedly can handle 7.1 signals, but I think that's a hoax. The expensive ones might work, but a soundbar that costs $1500? Fuck that.

In short, if you don't know what Atmos is and don't have time for research, you need two more speakers hanging from the ceiling.
    If you think that's ridiculous, save your money. If Trent is the only artist you follow who mixes in Atmos, it's probably not worth it unless you're rich.
    But if you never had a surround sound system and interested in how music can be delivered in 5.1 (or higher), it's worth an upgrade.
    Last edited by Lerxto; 10-03-2020 at 05:41 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It's too early for early Atmos adoption.
    I spent a bit of time researching Atmos enough to know it's a pass for me until mass adoption.
    Then this week I looked into Sony's Tempest 3D Audio and was hopeful for the future of sound.
    https://www.tomsguide.com/features/p...u-need-to-know

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Early? it's been in home theater for going on four years now, that's practically ancient at this point.

Though I agree: until it's a little cheaper to implement - and the speakers make more sense vis-a-vis the up-firing vs. the height-adjusted - then it's going to be 5.1 for me.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Early? it's been in home theater for going on four years now, that's practically ancient at this point.
    Sad but true.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Maybe someone here can help me navigate this?
    My Samsung s9 has Dolby Atmos, Windows 10 has a 7 day trial of Dolby Access,
    I can run a trial of Amazon Music HD, but neither the desktop app nor the mobile app actually support 3d Audio from what I gather.
    Any research only suggests an Echo Studio device has being supported.
    That seems way too limited of supported device structure for this to even be implemented.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Instead of something shiny like Atmos, they should put out a vinyl only quadrophonic mix of the fragile. No download codes!

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    The Fragile in 5.1 please. The next phase in the evolution of surround will involve a speaker in your mouth & 1 up your ass.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    The Fragile in 5.1 please. The next phase in the evolution of surround will involve a speaker in your mouth & 1 up your ass.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post

12" sub up the butt? Putting the ASS!!! in BASS!!!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)