Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Hurricane Harvey Disaster, 2017, Updates

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Hurricane Harvey Disaster, 2017, Updates

Last edited by allegro; 08-30-2017 at 08:33 PM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    It's good to know that animals are being saved. I'm hearing some very positive stories about a mattress man opening his store so that people can sleep there or a restaurant just giving out free food. A cop paid for a family's supplies. It's things like this that make me know that in times that are horrible that there is some hope in the world.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Kinda Harvey related.
    Tropical storm Irma has formed and gaining strength. Currently Cat 2 hurricane. Expected to reach at least Cat 3.
    Its path is unknown but it could follow same path as Harvey or steer north.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/us...his-week/85617
    Last edited by Deepvoid; 08-31-2017 at 11:18 AM.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Ugh, that's horrible. Horrible.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Moved from President thread:

https://www.today.com/pets/hurricane...m_npd_td_fb_ma

This guy found a scared Cooper's Hawk sitting in the front seat of his cab that refused to leave, coolest friggin' story: http://nypost.com/2017/08/27/frighte...arvey-in-taxi/

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Quebec was generous enough to offer help by sending blankets, beds and Hydro crew but Secretary of State Rolando Pablos declined and asked that we pray for them instead.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...rvey-1.4267387

I mean .. don't know what else to say.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    With Irma now on the full warpath following Harvey's destruction last week, it's scary to think they're are another 2 building up as we speak. Jose behind Irma which is due to become a Hurricane by this evening, and Katia on the Gulf of Mexico...fuck!

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Quebec was generous enough to offer help by sending blankets, beds and Hydro crew but Secretary of State Rolando Pablos declined and asked that we pray for them instead.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...rvey-1.4267387

I mean .. don't know what else to say.
    I don't think a Secretary of State of a state has the authority to make that determination; I think that's a GOVERNOR'S call, through a specific department related to disaster relief.

Edit: Okay, there appears to be some confusion.

Earlier this week, Quebec's International Relations Minister Christine St-Pierre called her Texas counterpart, Secretary of State Rolando Pablos, to offer the province's help with emergency relief efforts.
    Technically, the Sec'y of State of a STATE is NOT that counterpart.

Not at ALL

A State's Secretary of State maintains and issues business licenses and driver's licenses, and handles the commissioning of Notary Publics.

SEE THIS.

Pablos did indeed ask for Quebecers' prayers, Taylor said, but he also informed St-Pierre that his office isn't responsible for determining disaster response needs. She was directed instead to the Department of Public Safety.

​"Contrary to what has been reported in the media, Secretary Pablos did not decline the minister's offer, but instead made sure Quebec made contact with the proper Texas state agency that receives assistance and aid from foreign governments," said Ann-Clara Vaillancourt.

Having now contacted Texas' Department of Public Safety, Quebec will be sending 5,000 emergency hygiene kits.

"We really appreciate all the support and all the offers that we've gotten not just from the government, but from the people of Quebec," Taylor [Pablos' Press Secretary] said.
    Last edited by allegro; 09-09-2017 at 10:15 AM.

Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Wondering if these massive hurricanes have any correlation to the recent solar eclipse.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deepvoid View Post
    Wondering if these massive hurricanes have any correlation to the recent solar eclipse.
    See this: http://www.pbs.org/newshour/updates/...s-hitting-u-s/

Here’s why so many hurricanes are heading toward the U.S. Masters said “the Atlantic is primed for making major hurricanes”right now due to three major ingredients.

First, and most pertinent, is weak wind shear. Hurricanes lose potency when winds near the ocean surface blow at one speed and direction while winds in the upper atmosphere blow another. This difference — or shear — causes a hurricane to physically tilt, like a top, which dampens the force of the winds emanating from it.

“Right now, the shears are pretty low, and as you can see the storm looks pretty symmetrical,” Philip Klotzbach, an atmospheric scientist at Colorado State University, told the NewsHour.

The other two ingredients are warm Atlantic ocean temperatures that extend deep underwater and high levels of moisture in the air. Irma is brewing where sea temperatures hover around 85 degrees Fahrenheit, which are ideal for fueling intensification. Meanwhile, the air has 55 percent relative humidity, which is a little on the dry side, Masters said, but still enough to make a strong storm.

Irma is following on the heels of Harvey, because of a change in air pressure along the East Coast, Klotzbach said.

"Typically, over the last 10 to 12 years, we tend to have a ridge of low pressure along the east coast, which has helped steer the storms away,” Klotzbach said. But this invisible ridge has pushed westward this year, leaving the eastern seaboard, the Caribbean and the Gulf of Mexico exposed to hurricanes.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    but climate change is a hoax because science is fake news racism in America is over and and, there's a gay Liberal under my bed and other scary things
    -Louie

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalChaos View Post
    climate change causes solar flares
    you may appreciate this you may not some time ago company i worked for had purchased about ten blades after got everything installed as soon as the db came up it would sag-fault, core dump and crash, i spent like a week going through the logs running the core through gdb and nothing they had a very large support contract, management finally pressured me to call support, something i still have trouble with, after ages on the phone going over all the info i had gathered he said," you know the was a lot of solar activity last week that's probably it"i ended up getting management in an office and saying" tell them what you just told me". turns out it was an Apache bug. to this day when something fucked-up and unexplained happens, we still use it, such as"Trump just got elected", probably solar-flares!
    -Louie
    y

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    And now an 8.4 earthquake just hit the south coast of Mexico...that whole area of the world is just getting wrecked right now!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...arning-tsunami

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Earthquakes? Climate change.