Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Punisher - Netflix Series

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    8 episodes in. When the show is fun, it's fun. But there are plot contrivances through the roof, and I can bring myself to care about next to nobody but Punisher and Microchip - this is what happens when you need to scramble create an original supporting cast where next to none exists for the character...a supporting cast of detectives who are really, really shitty at their jobs.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I have to say this is probably my favorite from Marvel/Netflix shows. Berenthal is absolutely amazing. Not that I would care that much, but what's up with the metacritic score?

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I just hit episode 10, why the hell are they pulling this non-linear shit all of a sudden? i can't stand when shows do this, one of my biggest pet peeves.

Sure let's start post-incident and see exactly what happened from 100 different perspectives. Just show the god damn thing from a to b, jesus tap dancing christ!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Well, that was a good five episodes' worth of plot stretched over 13.

I'm starting to think a Netflix checklist is necessary for these things:

-Protagonist hangs up their suit
    -Detectives bumbling
    -Protagonist severely injured midway through plot
    -Protagonist picks up his shit and rocks the house after he dons his signature outfit in the last two episodes

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    This has to be my favorite Marvel series to date. Those last four episodes, goddamn. It jumped up a notch:

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Side note: I’m so glad they did not hold back on the brutality and gore on this. Exactly how a Punisher series should be.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Safe to assume this barely references the larger Marvel Universe in any way? I've only watched the first episode.

They need to make these newer seasons of the Netflix shows 8 episodes each. It's clear 13 is overkill.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Fucking LOVED it.
    Only thing that really irked me was the age discrepancy with his kids. In DD, the daughter is like five or six, right?

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Yea, I don't get any negative reviews this thing gets. I'm not really that crazy about comics as a whole and I've only ever really cared about batman and ninja turtles mostly because they were the shit growing up. Generally I think we are too flooded with them in entertainment right now. But this show was fucking good. It wasn't overly cartoonish and over the top with bad comic book jokes and one liners everywhere. You could have even had the same show about a regular dude not named the punisher and it would still have been good. I also don't really agree with everyone that it was too long. I think they used the extra time to build most all of the characters up so that by the time they met their fate it actually meant something.

And maybe its just me, but I'm pretty sure this is the only netflix show so far that has somehow managed to comment on political issues without shoving either right or left ideology down anyones throats. It was more or less "here's the fucked up world we live in" and left the viewer to come to their own conclusions. It neither glorified violence nor did it pretend as though its never necessary in such a world and for a show in 2017 I found that refreshing.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Just finished watching... yeah, I dug it.

Not sure what a S2 would look like though.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Not entirely a shock, but Season 2 is a go.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I just finished it last night and while there were a few episodes that were a little on the slow side, I still enjoyed the character development. I loved the show as a whole and can't wait for Season 2 and Spoiler: to see what they do with Jigsaw now that he's about to be in full-on villain mode!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    Side note: I’m so glad they did not hold back on the brutality and gore on this. Exactly how a Punisher series should be.
    While I agree, I think the gratuitous violence makes the lack of hard-swearing and nudity that much more obvious.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    While I agree, I think the gratuitous violence makes the lack of hard-swearing and nudity that much more obvious.
    I really don't care about the lack of nudity in a TV show, but you are 100% about the lack of swearing. This show should have been chock-full of the many variations of "fuck."

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    I really don't care about the lack of nudity in a TV show, but you are 100% about the lack of swearing. This show should have been chock-full of the many variations of "fuck."
    It's not that I'm dying to see nudity, I have the internet, it's just so distracting when they have such graphic sex scenes, yet you never see a tit.
    Like this show is CLEARLY not meant for kids, so why hold back there?
    I had the same issues with Daredevil and Luke Cage (didn't watch Iron Fist or Defenders, but I assume those were the same). The Marvel Netflix shows have become masters of showing as much side-boob as science will allow without showing any nipple. And Luke Cage was especially bad when it came to language where every other word was "nigga" but not one person knows the word "fuck"? Makes no damn sense and it hurts the immersion IMO.
    Last edited by imail724; 12-13-2017 at 06:16 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Just finished this in about 2 nights and really enjoyed this first season. Everyone said it was really slow in the beginning, but for me, I was so invested in the characters and what was going on that each episode kind of flew by for me. Bernthal is such a good actor and plays Castle so fucking good it really is engrossing at times and a pleasure watching him just destroy people. Not so much in this season though; man, he gets his ass kicked sooo much here it was tiring at times. I know he wasn't 100% pretty much the entire season, but for someone that was going toe to toe with Daredevil and getting the best of him at times, I was kind of like "Really?" Ben Barnes was great here as Billy really playing the role as the friend/villain and thought he was more of the stronger villains we have seen in the batch of Marvel shows we have received so far. Castle and Lieberman's relationship was funny as hell with great chemistry to boot.

The worst characters on the show were Dinah Madani and her mother (Fucking hell I could not stand any scenes with them) by far for me. She wasn't believable at all, along with her little partner or anyone in Homeland for that matter with the exception of Carson Wolf which was kind of a bad-ass. Karen Page and Castle's relationship is weird but I get it between them two, but just...fucking...get it on already. I figured she would pop up again at the end in some form, but I guess they're saving that for the next season, but she is another character I do not care for at all.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    The worst characters on the show were Dinah Madani and her mother
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Karen Page... is another character I do not care for at all.
    So, basically, you don't like any of the female characters on the show except Leo?

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Baphomette View Post
    So, basically, you don't like any of the female characters on the show except Leo?
    Leo is boss. I would have liked to see a bad-ass female whipping some ass here at least.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I guess it's finally official...

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    I guess it's finally official...

I mean we all knew it was happening, but it still sucks. Here's hoping there's truth to the rumor that Hulu will eventually pick up the Marvel Netflix shows (at least Daredevil and Punisher)...

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    So sorry for my ignorance on the subject of streaming platforms, but does Disney part own Hulu or something? If they do end up picking these shows up, what's to stop the same situation happening again 5 years from now?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    So sorry for my ignorance on the subject of streaming platforms, but does Disney part own Hulu or something? If they do end up picking these shows up, what's to stop the same situation happening again 5 years from now?
    Disney and Fox each owned a 30% share of Hulu prior to Disney's acquisition of Fox. After buying Fox, they now own a 60% majority share of Hulu and many are speculating that they will put all of their newly acquired R-rated content (Alien, Predator, Die Hard, Deadpool, etc...) there as opposed to the family friendly new Disney + streaming service.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Disney and Fox each owned a 30% share of Hulu prior to Disney's acquisition of Fox. After buying Fox, they now own a 60% majority share of Hulu and many are speculating that they will put all of their newly acquired R-rated content (Alien, Predator, Die Hard, Deadpool, etc...) there as opposed to the family friendly new Disney + streaming service.
    Gotcha, thanks