Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: NIN Lyrics Database / Stats

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

NIN Lyrics Database / Stats

This is something that I actually mostly put together shortly after Hesitation Marks was released, but I never quite got to the stage where I felt it was releasable. It's been running through my head since December, when NTAE came out, and then just a few days ago, a post by @sweeterthan apparently provided me with the impetus to clean it up a bit and put it out in the wild.

So, have you ever wanted to know exactly how many NIN songs contain the phrase "the skin?" How about "blood?" Well, wonder no longer:

http://apocalyptech.com/ninlyrics/

Do let me know if something in there doesn't seem right, or if you've got suggestions for different ways for it to do things. I'm reasonably pleased with it!

If you're github-savvy, it's all available at https://github.com/apocalyptech/ninlyrics

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I realize that I'm probably the only one to actually care, but I finally got Bad Witch imported into this thing. No huge changes to the data, of course, though it does solidify my long-held suspician that Trent is becoming more obsessed with modes of entry and egress in modern-day NIN: three songs which mention doors, now, all starting from Hestitation Marks: http://apocalyptech.com/ninlyrics/in...on&phrase=door

Chilling, I know. I look forward to his next project, which will undoubtedly feature some choice words about revolving doors.

Edit: after some random clicking-around, I do find the increasing frequency of "anymore" over the years to be somewhat interesting: http://apocalyptech.com/ninlyrics/in...phrase=anymore
    Last edited by xolotl; 09-21-2018 at 11:47 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    This is awesome. I haven't quite ever wondered for the pure numbers sake, but the data analytical side of me wants to check this out further

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xolotl View Post
    I realize that I'm probably the only one to actually care, but I finally got Bad Witch imported into this thing. No huge changes to the data, of course, though it does solidify my long-held suspician that Trent is becoming more obsessed with modes of entry and egress in modern-day NIN: three songs which mention doors, now, all starting from Hestitation Marks: http://apocalyptech.com/ninlyrics/in...on&phrase=door

Chilling, I know. I look forward to his next project, which will undoubtedly feature some choice words about revolving doors.

Edit: after some random clicking-around, I do find the increasing frequency of "anymore" over the years to be somewhat interesting: http://apocalyptech.com/ninlyrics/in...phrase=anymore
    Wonder if the ‘anymore’ thing increasing is just an age thing, like all the stuff you can’t do anymore because of getting older

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I realize that I'm probably the only one to actually care
    You're not. This is fantastic!

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    You're not. This is fantastic!
    Hell yes @xolotl . I appreciate your work here! I only didn't care because I just now became aware of it.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Heh, now my wry self-deprecation sounds like I was fishing for compliments or something. Anyway, glad y'all are enjoying it, feel free to hit me up with feature requests, etc, if there's something useful it could be doing that it's not currently doing.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Can you filter out unique words that were only used once (or another small number) in whole discography or in a certain album or in a certain time?

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Fucking nerd.

I love it.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    That's actually a very useful tool for a project of mine. You'll end up in the thank you notes for sure.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Do let me know if something in there doesn't seem right, or if you've got suggestions for different ways for it to do things. I'm reasonably pleased with it!

Just a note: The word "she" in the search does not produce the song "Suck" from the line "She makes it sweeter than the sun." <3

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dedevoce View Post
    Just a note: The word "she" in the search does not produce the song "Suck" from the line "She makes it sweeter than the sun." <3
    Oh, bother, you posted this ages ago and I'd missed it until now. I'll take a peek, thanks!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    I'm curious how many times Trent has "become" something/someone else. Or is becoming. Or thinks he's becoming. Or is afraid/worried of becoming.

I'm saying at least a dozen.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    I'm curious how many times Trent has "become" something/someone else. Or is becoming. Or thinks he's becoming. Or is afraid/worried of becoming.

I'm saying at least a dozen.
    I’ve noticed this too and I’m not gonna count any covers or pre-PHM work.

Pretty Hate Machine is full of lines about turning into things (a very common word as well for him) but I think the first appearance of the actual word is “I hate myself for what I’ve become” on Broken. Hurt and The Becoming further it and then The Fragile era is fucking overdrive for it — We’re In This Together, Even Deeper, The New Flesh, La Mer, Deep, The Great Below, Where Is Everybody and The Big Come Down all reference Trent or something else becoming things. So that’s 8 for one era alone already getting it at 11.

With Teeth I think only has one use of the word on Only despite being an album all about change and transformation so that should get it up to a dozen unless if I forgot one.

Then you’ve got Me I’m Not, Everything, Dear World, Shit Mirror, In Two, Vessel, Branches Bones and The Warning and you’ve got 20 songs using the word. If you counted lyrics about “turning” you’d probably have another 20, and this is assuming I’ve not forgotten some uses.
    Last edited by implanted_microchip; 11-01-2018 at 06:48 PM.

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    @xolotl

Nitpicking because I love this idea and I'm bookmarking it forever - Now I'm Nothing and +Appendage are missing! Appendage is always an argument of course if it's truly a song or an extension, personally I like it a song. And to be super pedantic, 999999 does have lyrics!

Also how do you stand on songs we have lyrics for but are unreleased? Thinking Just Do It and the WT songs (and A Minute to Breathe because why the fuck WASN'T it a NIN song?)

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Nitpicking because I love this idea and I'm bookmarking it forever - Now I'm Nothing and +Appendage are missing! Appendage is always an argument of course if it's truly a song or an extension, personally I like it a song. And to be super pedantic, 999999 does have lyrics!
    Ah, good points all. I'd have been on the fence about Now I'm Nothing if they haven't been playing that live for awhile now. I'll get all three of those (NIN, +A, 999999) added in this afternoon.

Also how do you stand on songs we have lyrics for but are unreleased? Thinking Just Do It and the WT songs (and A Minute to Breathe because why the fuck WASN'T it a NIN song?)
    Re: the unreleased stuff, I'm inclined to leave those out, on account of the unreleasedness, though perhaps I could do something funky and have an extra checkbox or something to include 'em. I suspect that probably won't happen, though, so those in particular will probably be left out.

A Minute to Breathe is certainly a good point... For that matter, especially with Atticus being "officially" NIN now, I wonder if it makes sense to have HTDA stuff on there too. Hrm.

Edit: NIN, +A, and 999,999 are now in there, btw!
    Last edited by xolotl; 11-05-2018 at 02:51 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dedevoce View Post
    Oh right, as I'm adding in these other things in here, I see from my notes that I'd purposefully omitted Suck since it was originally a Pigface song. Though since TR was there writing it with Martin+co, an argument could certainly be made to include it here as well. I'd obviously fallen on the "don't include it" side when I'd put this together; I may be leaning the other way now...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Found the Gnome user

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thyn View Post
    Found the Gnome user
    Hah! Well, Linux, certainly -- I think Firefox just defaults to a gtk+ look-and-feel, which is what Gnome uses as well. If we want to talk Loonix window managers and desktop environments, I'm actually in the wouldn't-touch-Gnome-with-a-ten-foot-pole crowd.