Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: And All That Could Have Been - 4K Upscale?

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

And All That Could Have Been - 4K Upscale?

As I'm sure most of you know, Rob Sheridan did a Patreon watchalong of AATCHB over the weekend. In preparation, as an experiment, he up-converted a few songs to 4K and uploaded them to his YouTube:

He also shared his process on how he did the upscaling, so I was wondering if anyone would be willing to recreate this for the whole show. I don't have the software, nor would I know how to deal with any issues or advanced options that might arise, so I wanted to see if anyone else on here would be willing to take this on. Let me know!

https://www.patreon.com/posts/614308...eid=7cff66acc6

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Wasn't this already attempted? I coulda sworn someone took a crack at upscaling the main program, with the bonus songs thrown in too.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Wasn't this already attempted? I coulda sworn someone took a crack at upscaling the main program, with the bonus songs thrown in too.
    Yeah, seems like something that would've been done before, but I definitely don't have a copy if it was.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    WHILE I'M HERE, does anyone know how to make fillow's multi cam edits SMALLER, in terms of file size?

I know it HAS to be possible; I have lots of HD prints of movies and rock shows at a fraction of the size.
    Last edited by elevenism; 01-25-2022 at 11:59 PM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Yeah, seems like something that would've been done before, but I definitely don't have a copy if it was.

I don't think he ended up posting a public link but this thread discussed the results one guy had.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Here is the process Rob used, per his newsletter:

What did you use to upscale the footage?

There are many ways to upscale, but for I used Topaz Video Enhance AI (which has a full-featured free 30 day trial) in two passes with a particular goal of preserving the original look of the material - not trying to make it look like pristine HD-filmed footage. The standard definition digital video look of AATCHB was important to the raw, "amateur" feel of the film. It was captured and presented that way for a reason, so I was pleased that some careful upscaling was able to preserve the SD look while adding a fresh veneer for HD screens.

I began with a Quicktime rip of the footage direct from the commercial DVD. In Topaz, I first tried upscaling in one pass with the Gaia model, and it looked okay but kept a lot of unwanted noise. I got better results by doing it in two passes. For the first pass, I used Artemis LQ and upscaled it to 1080p (1440x1080px in 4:3 aspect ratio) in Prores (don't use MP4/MPG or anything that compresses it). Then I used Artemis HQ to upscale the 1080p version to 4k (2880x2160px in 4:3) Prores. I don't know if it was the source rip I was using, but I found that keeping the sound through all of that messed up the audio-video sync and seemed to degrade the sound quality, so I used Premiere to drop the source audio back in to the 4k video and it aligned just fine. Then I exported with Media Encoder to compress it for YouTube.

Edit: looks like this was also included in the post @Toadflax posted. Can everyone see that or only subscribers? At any rate...
    Last edited by cdm; 01-26-2022 at 11:38 AM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    On a related note, did anyone watch the Patreon event? Anything interesting in Q&A?

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    On a related note, did anyone watch the Patreon event? Anything interesting in Q&A?
    I didn't but he said a transcript will be posted at some point.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Honestly, having watched the original DVD on a 4K TV, I don't think there's much room for improvement by upscaling the footage to 4K. 4K upscales can be interesting, but at the end of the day, you're still upscaling SD quality footage.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I’m not personally interested in upscaling the video but I’m reminded that I still haven’t sorted out a definitive digital rip of my DVD. Last time I tried makemkv choked. I wanted to avoid transcoding if possible. The holy grail would be both dvd’s content and all extras in a single container.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Honestly, having watched the original DVD on a 4K TV, I don't think there's much room for improvement by upscaling the footage to 4K. 4K upscales can be interesting, but at the end of the day, you're still upscaling SD quality footage.
    I did an A/B test of my DVD vs. Rob's upscale, and the results were significant enough for me to want a full upscale. He made sure not to make anything look like fake HD, so it's just an all-around clearer image without losing the feel of the original.