Page 37 of 66 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 47 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1973

Thread: Add Violence

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I liked NTAE and it's subtle Fragile callbacks, and Less Than for being a banger...this thing is a suffocating nightmare. Probably the darkest thing he's done in a long time. "Are you sure this is what you want?" and then the loop disintegrating, what even?

I finished the EP confused and baffled...like a good NIN album.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    What I like the most about NTAE/AV is that Trent finally got rid that boring verse/chorus/verse/chorus/noisy outro song structure, ever-present since WT.
    Would it has to do anything with Atticus hanging around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Forgive me, but I did not really want this to be already released, I am mentally prepared for TOMORROW evening... :-) But OK, I'll plug in and press ENGAGE tonite, yeah!

But first spending all day at work, I don't want the first listen here on crappy headphones. Everything has its time, sometimes more times... what...? OK. ;-)

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I can see where your all coming from with it sounding like it's a 'Goodbye', but i personally think it's less a send off to NIN and more a celebration of NIN and what Trent can do with it. All the call backs to previous albums and tying them all together whilst doing something new with it.

That's my take anyway, there probably is more here then what we've found (we haven't even got the Physical Component for AV yet and the 3rd EP) I'm excited to see where NIN goes in the future

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eluus View Post
    Hello, I'm new here. I have been reading you for a long time, I never created an account.
    Add Violence is great, I agree. But I was wondering ... Don't you think all that stuff is ... a goodbye ?
    I mean, all the olds halos are or will be remastered in the store. EVERYTHING in NTAE or AV is related to something in the past, like the lyrics, the sounds (for almost every tracks you can tell "hey, it remind me of ... ") or even the Year Zero ARG. But that's all, there is no ARG, just some details.

So, for me, it's clearly a retrospective. Maybe not THE END of Nine Inch Nails but maybe, at least, the end of an era.
    Don't you think ?
    Goddamm it...

I swear if TR is taking notes from his mentor and knows that he is dying or some shit and the last EP comes out as a farewell I will punch you.

EDIT: wait,why did he perform "I Can't Give Everything Away" last night??? ... Mother f...
    Last edited by Reznor2112; 07-20-2017 at 09:47 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I'm thinking the Add Violence title came from critique notes someone provided during production, like "Dude, add some violence to this". If this sort of connection between album title and album tone is to continue, I want the next one to be titled This One's for the Children.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    That's my take anyway, there probably is more here then what we've found (we haven't even got the Physical Component for AV yet and the 3rd EP) I'm excited to see where NIN goes in the future
    Assuming he is going to keep the levels of intrigue/mystery going to keep us all on our toes, 3+ weeks for the AV Physical Component arrival (perhaps longer with shipping delays etc) is a long time away in this day and age. Wonder what to expect to keep the mystery(potential ARG or whatever you want to call it) going until then. If the AV Physical Component is a manual for the machine, perhaps we will see a virtual machine pop up waiting to be tinkered with....

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    If you haven't figured it out yet listen to the First few words of the EP , he tells you what you did wrong on NTAE and how to hear his message ,which is telling you basically the same thing in every song in both EPs. It's by design that The lovers and Dear World use some of the same lines. Listen To Less Than very closely for major clue, and every song after very closely, Focus on what he is saying in each song , if you can't hear it try closing your eyes it's by design to make you work for it. Don't "look" for clues with yoyour eyes open "Listen" with just your ears if you really want to know the point of the last 2 EPs... if your not sure about the meanings of these songs than he's talking to you cause once you hear him Its unmistakable... it's Genius what he did ,I love it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ekrekel View Post
    I'm thinking the Add Violence title came from critique notes someone provided during production, like "Dude, add some violence to this". If this sort of connection between album title and album tone is to continue, I want the next one to be titled This One's for the Children.
    The Album Title being in all Uppercase letters is a Clue also especially the first word

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GregBull View Post
    If you haven't figured it out yet listen to the First few words of the EP
    While I'm excited to think that there is a really cool, overarching purpose and point to these EPs, apart from just some really awesome music, your continued teasing posts do nothing to convince me that you've actually figured anything out. "I know a secret that's so awesome but I'm not going to tell you about it" just screams "give me attention," to me. If you really do think you've figured this out, just start another thread on here with "[SPOILERS]" in the title or something. Until then, I'm not buying it.

I would certainly love for you to prove me a wrong, cynical jerk.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    With The Background World in mind for a vinyl release, TR and co may keep this ep to a single sided 12" but putting the 6 minute version of TBW with a run out infinite loop of the loop featured on the digital release. Maybe? It wouldn't have the gradual distortion.

Just curious how this will translate to a physical medium like vinyl. I guess William Basinski is a perfect example of how it can be done though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm sure Greg found some sort of meaning for him and just wants us to come to the same conclusion.
    But sadly, the lyrics are so generic it's hard to make anything out of them, regardless how close you listen.
    If your conclusion is that he's telling us to focus and listen, to not miss the important parts, and giving him our attention, that's such a broad generic theme that it's hardly an instruction.

Either post your conclusion or stop teasing everyone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    His tone of voice on The Lovers is very similar to his tone of voice on In This Twilight. Something about the way it seeps into the mix reminds me of In This Twilight as well. I don't think the songs are connected tho, could be a red herring.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eluus View Post
    Hello, I'm new here. I have been reading you for a long time, I never created an account.
    Add Violence is great, I agree. But I was wondering ... Don't you think all that stuff is ... a goodbye ?
    I mean, all the olds halos are or will be remastered in the store. EVERYTHING in NTAE or AV is related to something in the past, like the lyrics, the sounds (for almost every tracks you can tell "hey, it remind me of ... ") or even the Year Zero ARG. But that's all, there is no ARG, just some details.

So, for me, it's clearly a retrospective. Maybe not THE END of Nine Inch Nails but maybe, at least, the end of an era.
    Don't you think ?
    Oh, don't depress me with that talk! I think we already had an end of an era though with the whole Wave Goodbye Tour. I think we're actually living in a new era already that started with Hesitation Marks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    If you haven't figured it out yet listen to the First few words of the EP , he tells you what you did wrong on NTAE and how to hear his message ,which is telling you basically the same thing in every song in both EPs. It's by design that The lovers and Dear World use some of the same lines. Listen To Less Than very closely for major clue, and every song after very closely, Focus on what he is saying in each song , if you can't hear it try closing your eyes it's by design to make you work for it. Don't "look" for clues with yoyour eyes open "Listen" with just your ears if you really want to know the point of the last 2 EPs... if your not sure about the meanings of these songs than he's talking to you cause once you hear him Its unmistakable... it's Genius what he did ,I love it.
    WTF, are you Yoda?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by madpew View Post
    I'm sure Greg found some sort of meaning for him and just wants us to come to the same conclusion.
    But sadly, the lyrics are so generic it's hard to make anything out of them, regardless how close you listen.
    If your conclusion is that he's telling us to focus and listen, to not miss the important parts, and giving him our attention, that's such a broad generic theme that it's hardly an instruction.

Either post your conclusion or stop teasing everyone.
    I said i'll give everyone 24 hours , but if you guys want it here it is just a few notes...

1. less than = "Focus , you didnt even notice ( on NTAE) he talks about he's giving you NIN music , but you have to take care of yourself , his hands are full, did it fix what was wrong inside? but you can justify the missile trails across the sky (because you see them )
    2 The lovers= Everyone seems to be asleep, i can hear hear you breathing ,free me into the arms of the lovers( this track is made with binaural rythyms that when listened to with headphones by sweepping from one ear to the other cause a state of slight hypnosis , This track is basically the same as Dear world just with more Violent and intense Binaural Beats used with the same message ... Dear world has the same type of back and forth left to right , right to left sounds that flow. The confusion and seduction. Dear world In a deeper voice the first line he says is "Hey look , You didnt even notice" which is what he says back in Less than but instead of nicely saying hey look, he says "Focus you didnt even notice" hes giving you a command in a poppy song and asking in a darker sounding song .
    3.This isnt the place = He is reminding you of his older album especially TDS but this isnt the place to look anymore for the meaning i know you guys hear the piggy shaker and the Hurt piano sample at the beginning.
    4. Not Anymore =" suprise i must a let it be known, I started to turn into somebody else. I found myself even believing that. Tick tick tick time, my feet are nailed to the floor , I always thought their would be more", he's discussing how many people still listen to music in general the way that people use music as background noise in the car or while their doing stuff. They dont take time to actually listen carefully to the music without external simulation. They dont give it their full attention.When TDS came out there were no cell phones which are a constant distraction. The interviews aren't hard to find where he says all of this. He says in the song he knows who he is , Maybe it will happen to someone else but that doesn't happen anymore, but what Am I doing this for , but not anymore, you just need to wake up.
    5.The Background World- The title is a big clue that he buried his message in the background of the songs or parts of them that you probably choose to skip over . " you left me here , what am i supposed to do, I never dared to look inside, just lie you told me to. I'm going into you again ( then of course the "Closer" starts, I know you saw it to, now i will keep myself awake , at my risk of me, i feel it reaching through, there is no moving past, there is no better case, there is no future ... Binaural rythyms again which cause the state of hypnosis the big clue is the "now i will keep myself awake , at my risk of me, i feel it reaching through" which many of us did when i heard that i was like wtf. Then he says the "only thing i've done is put myself in the background world." Are you sure this is what you wanna hear as the "closer" beat comes back in, which then continues on till the end but getting more and more uncomfortable , till you hear the guy at the end saying "I'm pretty sure that there is no way out" all the way till its unrecognizable this leads into branches/bones you'll recognize similar noise at the beginning
    Then go to NTAE and listen again the songs are much clearer, "Not the actual events" i beleive refer to the titles of the songs because they all have to do with our ability to listen and pay attention and hearing him. In Dear world he says "I'm locked inside here, I have to stay , The people who won't hear Go Away" then he ends Burning bright with "Its so hard to find me here anymore " meaning his words not what surrounds them. HE says in the pre-chorus break through the surface And that you will see him burning bright like a field on fire " i never caught any of that stuff till I listened to both albums headphones on Eyes closed and listened as carefully as I could

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    There are a good amount of reports to support the theory that certain specific Binaural Beats can help with ADD and ADHD I wouldn't be surprised if he used some of those on this album to get us to Wake Up and stop being so distracted.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This thread has literally turned into the looped ending of "The Background World"

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Are you sure?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Okay, soooo This isn't the Place is finally growing on me. I actually really like the groove of the song. Just wish there was more singing than just at the end. I'm not a big fan of songs like this usually. Just seems like an instrumental with lyrics thrown in to make it a "song". Overall, love the new EP, although Burning Bright might still be my favorite of the EP Trilogy. Still letting all the songs marinate, but right now I would say my order of preference for AV is:

Less Than
    The Background World (The first 4 minutes-hope at least half the song gets cut when Trent does "different versions" for the full album.)
    Not Anymore (this song is so weird, I love it)
    This isn't the place (this is really growing on me)
    The Lovers (Don't really dig this song-reminds me of a combination of Running, Disappointed and Dear World. Dear World's my least favorite on NTAE too.)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bachy View Post
    Are you sure?

I am , But you have to find those clues yourself throughout all the songs to prove it to yourself if you really want to get it. it doesn't matter if no one believes me. I gave clues but people just wanted answers (hmmm alil ADD there aint it) I just approached it like a musician( would i want people distracted when listening to my songs, no ) so i chose to not be distracted and it was very clear. The title has Attention Deficit Disorder int he title ADD all uppercase letters, NTAE is mixed ,VIOLENCE is also Uppercase to appear uniform and throw people off. Remember Trent believes in approaching music as an experience that should have your attention, but in todays age nothing has our full attention anymore, but back before cell phones and tablets music would have peoples full attention when you think of Pink Floyd, Bowie , people experienced them .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xolotl View Post
    While I'm excited to think that there is a really cool, overarching purpose and point to these EPs, apart from just some really awesome music, your continued teasing posts do nothing to convince me that you've actually figured anything out. "I know a secret that's so awesome but I'm not going to tell you about it" just screams "give me attention," to me. If you really do think you've figured this out, just start another thread on here with "[SPOILERS]" in the title or something. Until then, I'm not buying it.

I would certainly love for you to prove me a wrong, cynical jerk.
    Honestly , Id prefe people to do what I did , which was listen to it back yo back 5 or 6 times, once your get used to the uncomfortable or hypnotizing beats you hear past them and hear what he says in every song ,if u didn't I'd rewind and listen to the line again. This took hours... but it was worth it. But people just want answers no patience lol and I was the same way till what this EP taught me , the proper way to hear an album without distractions.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Instantly better than NTAE, and I really enjoyed the hell out of that EP. Not Anymore is fucking fantastic, and that time change shook me on the first listen. I also love the concept of the second half of The Background World. I'm assuming they are just constantly copying the previous copy of that loop, degrading the files integrity each time.

I still don't quite understand the full concept here on this trilogy, but the music has been great. I feel like NIN hasn't sounded this dark and angry since the Fragility days.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I just approached it like a musician( would i want people distracted when listening to my songs, no ) so i chose to not be distracted and it was very clear.
    I'll say again that I certainly do hope that you've got some insight that none of us have come up with yet. However, I think it's naive/arrogant of you to believe that nobody else has been listening to this stuff with the same care as you. We're a fanbase of very obsessive folks who generally drop everything that can be dropped when new NIN gets released, and this release has been holding many of us in very rapt attention. I don't buy that you've got some kind of superhuman ability to focus on a song that much better than the rest of us. Perhaps you do! As I say, I'm waiting for proof before I buy it, though.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'll say again that I certainly do hope that you've got some insight that none of us have come up with yet. However, I think it's naive/arrogant of you to believe that nobody else has been listening to this stuff with the same care as you. We're a fanbase of very obsessive folks who generally drop everything that can be dropped when new NIN gets released, and this release has been holding many of us in very rapt attention. I don't buy that you've got some kind of superhuman ability to focus on a song that much better than the rest of us. Perhaps you do! As I say, I'm waiting for proof before I buy it, though.
    Read the Big post below...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Its not super human ability, give yourself a test . Listen to the tracks that are tough to hear with your eyes open and headphones on then close your eyes and do it again and see if you hear things just alittle clearer ... thats all I did laydown , relax and listen front to back Eyes closed turn your phone off

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Read the Big post below...
    I read all of your posts. Still no clue about what the secret theme is.

I'm glad you've discovered listening with your full attention though. Good music deserves it.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Add Violence

All that teasing and "open your mind" stuff, for pages and pages, and your big revelation is a direct interpretation of "focus," and "pay attention" to the lyrics? Uh, yeah dude, that's what we're all doing.

This isn't a trilogy about how to listen music properly. My opinion so far is that it's a critique of the "new normal" that is life in 2017, and the decision to remain blissfully ignorant (asleep) or to wake up and hold ourselves and our leaders accountable. Check out my post a page or two back about the way the album ends for some of my thoughts.

I'm not claiming to know anything here, or to have "figured it all out" by any stretch. I could be 100% wrong. That's just the lens through which I'm viewing the EPs at the moment.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Its not super human ability, give yourself a test . Listen to the tracks that are tough to hear with your eyes open and headphones on then close your eyes and do it again and see if you hear things just alittle clearer ... thats all I did laydown , relax and listen front to back Eyes closed turn your phone off
    Do you really think none of us have done this several times over by now? Clearly you are having some sort of epiphany that the rest of us aren't.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Emil Dorbell View Post
    I read all of your posts. Still no clue about what the secret theme is.

I'm glad you've discovered listening with your full attention though. Good music deserves it.
    Thank you, I just wanted to point people in the right direction but people called that teasing , and just wanted answers so i posted that big thing not with every clue , to hopefully get people to Listen closer .