Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Less Than

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I dig the old school "Tempest"-style video game in the video. I like the track; definitely have to give it a few more listens.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    You can't judge the whole ep on one song. Imagine if we got dear world (which I love by the way) before burning bright. Everyone would say it's really nothing new. I've been at work and only heard up to the chorus but I like what I hear. If the NTAE concept holds true, every song will have a different sonical vibe while retaining cohesiveness. I'm way excited. The note changes were surprising to me, in a really good way. Undecided on the portion of the video I saw though.
    I think if Dear World was first, we would have thought darker HM. With the vocals being done in an interesting fashion.
    I feel like this song has an analog 80's video game/horror/scifi FILM aesthetic and I probably would say that without the video. I will def dig this ep if it takes that approach in different directions. Of course I love NTAE, but more of the same probably wouldn't be as exciting as it sounds.
    Last edited by OSLIN; 07-13-2017 at 12:36 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Is anyone talking about the video and hidden meaning behind it - Polybuis is quite interesting. Sorry if I missed it if we have, these threads are on fire http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles...ng-arcade-game

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    I like the song well enough I get squeamish when Trent makes allusions to Chem trails.
    "And you can always justify the missile trails across the sky"

I think that it's just a comment on how the right and corporate democrats always find a way to justify violence and war. Direct comment on Trump's strike against Syria a few months back.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clarktrent View Post
    "And you can always justify the missile trails across the sky"

I think that it's just a comment on how the right and corporate democrats always find a way to justify violence and war. Direct comment on Trump's strike against Syria a few months back.
    Umm. Missile trails are MISSILE TRAILS! Not chem trails lol. This is clearly the Capital G of today.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    I really like the music video

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I completely agree. Seems like the lyrics are aimed at Trump voters (and I am more than okay with that). I love this song, and it is total driving music.

Quote Originally Posted by streetman View Post
    Umm. Missile trails are MISSILE TRAILS! Not chem trails lol. This is clearly the Capital G of today.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    On repeat since this morning. NTAE was a 10/10, this song somehow is even better than anything on that EP.
    Welcome to bonertown.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    I dig the old school "Tempest"-style video game in the video. I like the track; definitely have to give it a few more listens.
    For some reason, it's reminding me of the Star Wars arcade game.

On the other hand, nearly everything reminds me of the Star Wars arcade game. I think it damaged my brain.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadflax View Post
    Who are you speaking to here?
    Well um, you I guess, comparing a whole albums vibe to one songs vibe. No offense whatsoever but it doesn't make sense until said album is out. Maybe AV ends up being the weirder and darker of the two (and I hope it is). We all know we can't fully go by TR'S description. With teeth is more like 7 or 8 good punches to the face.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    fuck that. good riddance, glitchy bullshit.
    I initially logged in just to like this post.

Mentioned
    91 Post(s)

Less Than

You didn't even notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The closest thing to Year Zero, but more aggressive. I love it. (!!!)

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick999 View Post
    Well um, you I guess, comparing a whole albums vibe to one songs vibe. No offense whatsoever but it doesn't make sense until said album is out. Maybe AV ends up being the weirder and darker of the two (and I hope it is). We all know we can't fully go by TR'S description. With teeth is more like 7 or 8 good punches to the face.
    Where did I say anything about the rest of the album? I was saying how much I liked the lack of "singles" on NTAE and that I was hoping that would be the case with all of the EP's. Shit, the last track on Add Violence is 11.5 minutes long- I certainly don't expect that to sound anything like Less Than!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    After about six listens, I like it, but I'm not in love with it. I'm very much reminded of THTF in that it's a political, arena-rocky single. A million times better though, fucking outstanding chorus. Good, not mind-blowingly amazing to my ears. Absolutely not judging the whole of the EP by this though - an 11-minute track sounds very promising.

Cripes, I love when NIN do videos though. <3

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Sounds to me like Mariqueen sings on this one, too. Check out this clip from the very last chorus, I isolated the backing vocal panned slightly to the left. Seems like her voice.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    I've been listening to this on repeat since it came out.

Im so happy it's made me forget I'm on my period.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by renton44 View Post
    I completely agree. Seems like the lyrics are aimed at Trump voters (and I am more than okay with that). I love this song, and it is total driving music.
    "Less Than" deplorable.

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by botley View Post
    Sounds to me like Mariqueen sings on this one, too. Check out this clip from the very last chorus, I isolated the backing vocal panned slightly to the left. Seems like her voice.
    He said they hired some vocalists, one of whom was Sharlotte. Seems like he would've mentioned Mariqueen if she was on it, too, but that does indeed sound like her atonal wailing (which I don't mean in a bad way).

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    On repeat since this morning. NTAE was a 10/10, this song somehow is even better than anything on that EP.
    Welcome to bonertown.
    Yeah man, I'm digging it. It's more on the catchier side of a With Teeth / Hesitation Marks style, but Trent is a master of noisy ear candy so anytime he ventures into this category I'll always be a fan.

I kind of wish he'd release more material like "She's Gone Away" that just sound brooding, a little uneasy on the ears and organic ... but I think that's because of my natural love for the sound he crafted on The Fragile.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Definitely my kind of NIN song. One listen and I'm pretty sure it's going to be one of my favorite of all time.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    It's a threesome between PHM, YZ and With Teeth and I fucking love it so hard.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    This is more so related to the video - all I can think about while watching the video is if the woman's eyeballs were the controller joysticks (they would even fit right into an eye socket if you think about it). And if her eye balls were joysticks then would Trent be on the sticks playing the game? Or someone else? - And no, I am not high right now!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I watched the video at 0.25x speed. A couple of subliminal messages flash on the screen throughout the video, like in the urban-legend Polybius: "[I CAN'T SEEM TO WAKE UP]" and, adapted from the lyrics, "[I THOUGHT IT WOULD FIX ME]."

Despite the far less graphic imagery, and less obviously fatal outcome, this video actually reminded me of the one for Happiness in Slavery, although this one starts in media res. A person has completely unified themselves (or has been hypnotized into becoming unified) with a machine that slowly transforms them into something else (it appears that the woman's eye color changes to become more translucent after what looks like a hand pressing out from inside the screen, Videodrome (?) style).

Anyway, ... uh, we're all video game (internet included) addicts/capitalist mind control victims (see the Polybius legend) and have been for awhile now.
    Last edited by Pbgut; 07-13-2017 at 01:44 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by d1stinct View Post
    This is more so related to the video - all I can think about while watching the video is if the woman's eyeballs were the controller joysticks (they would even fit right into an eye socket if you think about it). And if her eye balls were joysticks then would Trent be on the sticks playing the game? Or someone else? - And no, I am not high right now!
    Stop hogging the bong and pass it already, dude. Some people...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Damn this is a fucking awesome NIN song. Very surprised after the last EP. Wow I fucking love it honestly.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I can't wait to hear Robin wail on this track live.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Arstechnica.com is one of my favorite tech sites, I was shocked to see them with an article about the new song and the process of how the video was... obtained. Great article if you're interested in the video and the game.

- https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/...h-nails-video/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm addicted to this song! Feels like it's got some PHM sprinkled on there.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post

the video looks great but it is also just Mariqueen playing video games.
    FYI you did a racism.