Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Thread: Less Than

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Did anyone else catch this at the end?

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    so initially I had only listened to the song twice over the period of 2 days..but then parts of the song were playing in my head in the shower... it's so catchy.... So now I keep listening to it. fuck. it's actually a damn good song.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    There is not 1 NIN song from the past 12 years that I ever listen to. The Fragile is immature. TDS and With Teeth are the only albums that endure for me. That's where I am in the state of NIN.

Less Than is super generic NIN. This is my opinion. It's just absolutely generic.

NIN is no longer part of my musical ecosystem. To me it's that group that I listened to in high school. Trent's lyrics are atrocious. Absolutely atrocious. That's my opinion. Less Than merges atrocious generic lyrics with super generic NINian song structure and sound.

I don't know why NIN gets a pass with most music critics. Fancy production does not equal good songs. All Trent has is sound design talent now as far as I'm concerned. Hang up the gloves Trent. It's over. Create sounds for younger artists to use. Your formula is tired. Your age has limited your range. Your brain has lost its neuroplasticity. I feel embarassed listening to cheesy "superhero" themes shit out by Trent again and again since the year 2000. Deep, Less Than, all of Year Zero, Came Back Haunted...

Rant over. NIF. Nine Inch Fails.

Quote Originally Posted by cashpiles View Post
    so initially I had only listened to the song twice over the period of 2 days..but then parts of the song were playing in my head in the shower... it's so catchy.... So now I keep listening to it. fuck. it's actually a damn good song.
    Sooo, does this mean they're back to being Nine Inch Fails Nails again?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    I haven't had a single NIN song stuck in my head this much since Year Zero. I am so excited by what's going on right now.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Detunez View Post
    A belgian magazine about video games featured the new Nin song on their frontpage.

https://www.9lives.be/video/nine-inc...met-videogames

Polybius is an interesting game, it is part of a legend which states that the FBI used a hypnotizing addictive game to brainwash people back when Arcade machines where still a thing.

Edited post:
    Did anybody else notice the whistle like sound starting from 1:66 up to 2:00 in the song ?
    yeah i've been thinking about this the past few days, the "Polybius" legend is famous for its "Mind Control / Mind Altering" abilities, could this not fit in to a new ARG?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polybius_(video_game)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...arcade-cabinet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Just back from my holidays and only managed a few listens so will wait before I make my judgements but it's quite catchy and feels in line with the recent NIN sound.

Some good news is my TF Deviations and NTAE Physical Components arrived while I was away.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Twiggy View Post
    Just back from my holidays and only managed a few listens so will wait before I make my judgements but it's quite catchy and feels in line with the recent NIN sound.

Some good news is my TF Deviations and NTAE Physical Components arrived while I was away.
    you received the physical component from the UK Store ? :O

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuenthez View Post
    you received the physical component from the UK Store ? :O
    I ordered from the UK Store but it seems the packages have been sent from the US, but I was assuming this was the case for all unless they had different distribution locations.

I love the Less Than video, a simple but cool idea.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I ordered from the UK Store but it seems the packages have been sent from the US, but I was assuming this was the case for all unless they had different distribution locations.
    Actually no, some other guys who ordered from the UK store (including me) haven't received the physical component along with Deviations. (Anyway that's not the good topic for me to talk about this but good to know)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuenthez View Post
    Actually no, some other guys who ordered from the UK store (including me) haven't received the physical component along with Deviations. (Anyway that's not the good topic for me to talk about this but good to know)
    I would contact Sandbag about it. But hopefully your copies arrive soon.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I would contact Sandbag about it. But hopefully your copies arrive soon.
    We already did, with "funny" answers like "we don't have it, we wait for a refill"...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    heheeh, i guess a few issues with it. I was surprised mine showed up as I thought I would be chasing it still.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Less Than video has over 1,000,000 views now! Yay!

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    I get the nin chills all over my body from this song every damn time I listen to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    This song is a grower for me. It didn't mesh into my tastes quite readily. It sounded like it was too much like the things I like, trying too hard to emulate something of that vein, but not quite making it. However, in the last two days, it's been stuck in my head, on repeat, even as I listen to all the other songs.
    Last edited by mostlymad; 07-19-2017 at 06:55 PM. Reason: o

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Hi, anybody speaks English much here? :-)

LESS THAN, less than... what? Is this deliberately open, or does it have some specific meaning?

(I'm trying to understand english lyrics since 1988 - who would forget when Black Celebration appears at home - but sometimes I wonder.)

Btw, at first I had suspicion that this is mastered way too loud (and it is) and it is too straightforward, but the song RULEZ! :-)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    Hi, anybody speaks English much here? :-)

LESS THAN, less than... what? Is this deliberately open, or does it have some specific meaning?

(I'm trying to understand english lyrics since 1988 - who would forget when Black Celebration appears at home - but sometimes I wonder.)

Btw, at first I had suspicion that this is mastered way too loud (and it is) and it is too straightforward, but the song RULEZ! :-)
    It seems deliberately left open. A trick singers do to keep an audience relating to songs. However, I think I've seen it mentioned that TR has impostor syndrome, and think it links a bit to that feeling. At least, I get the sense it's being a little mean-spirited, asking "did it fix what was wrong with you?" like that.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    This song is great in so many ways. Has anyone else already mentioned the perhaps obvious reference to Bret Easton Ellis' "Less Than Zero"? Not the superficial adaptation into a movie, but the actual novel.

Last edited by hobochic; 08-08-2017 at 06:57 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Substance242 View Post
    LESS THAN, less than... what?
    Well, less than whatever the current benchmark of being worthy consists of. Less smart, less attractive, less interesting than whatever is currently demanded by all of our surroundings.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    This video contains some interesting info on the video game Polybius, pertaining to the music video Less Than.
    The Angry Video Game Nerd - Polybius Episode 150
    Last edited by OSLIN; 10-26-2017 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Video isn't about NIN's music video just the game that is referenced in the music video

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OSLIN View Post
    This video pertains some interesting info on the video game Polybius, pertaining to the the music video Less Than.
    The Angry Video Game Nerd - Polybius Episode 150
    I think that was just a clip from the game itself.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I always thought of the "Are you less than" as similar to The Becoming "killing away all my bad parts" ....

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HWB View Post
    I think that was just a clip from the game itself.
    Yeah, it just tells a little bit of the history of the game which may show what NIN is reflecting a little in that video. I just found it interesting, most of the video is just a joke. I found the first 4 minutes rather entertaining when it came to the history of the game.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegro View Post
    It's like this

Less Than new live visualiser please.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Once again I'll probably be the only one thinking that "Less than" is the worst track of the trilogy

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by notsoprettynow View Post
    Once again I'll probably be the only one thinking that "Less than" is the worst track of the trilogy
    Probably. It's definitely the most "radio friendly" and commercial sounding songs of the three releases. I'd say one of the instrumentals from Bad Witch would be my vote for the weakest song out of the trilogy, but that's for another thread.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by notsoprettynow View Post
    I used to think it was just a "fine" track until I heard it live, and now I love it! I'm glad they played it on tour because it slaps!

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trollmanen View Post
    Probably. It's definitely the most "radio friendly" and commercial sounding songs of the three releases. I'd say one of the instrumentals from Bad Witch would be my vote for the weakest song out of the trilogy, but that's for another thread.
    Mention The God Damned Song.