Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 28 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Xbox Thread

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

The Xbox Thread

Playstation and PSN has one so why not Xbox? I have both systems yet tend to play my 360 more.

Anywho, anyone get the new Dashboard and Update yet?

I have, it's just awful to look at. I can't stand it.

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Really? I've had it for a while now since I got in on the "Whatever the fuck it was that got me in early" thing. I dig the new look/arrangement of things. The Cloud storage is good stuff too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The new layout reminds me of the PS3 in that all the categories are horizontal across the top and you scroll through them. I like how it kicked me out of an online MW3 match to make me update. It's not like I wanted to finish a game I started.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've never seen the PS3 dash but this update smacks a little too much of Microsoft's tendency to bundle everything in Windows into categories to make everything 'slicker' only to destroy a huge chunk of usability in the process—I'd rather have a folder full of three dozen icons than one with only eight in it that I have to decipher to figure out how to get to device drivers (control panel, I'm looking at you!). Granted, it'll no doubt be easier to navigate once I've had the chance to play around with it a bit but it doesn't flow quite as intuitively as the last overhaul did. We'll see.

At any rate, I was dorkily excited about Facebook integration when they sent the last email out so I can't really complain, can I?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hula View Post
    I've never seen the PS3 dash but this update smacks a little too much of Microsoft's tendency to bundle everything in Windows into categories to make everything 'slicker' only to destroy a huge chunk of usability in the process
    That is what they were going for. Windows Phone 7 looks like this and Windows 8 does too, so I guess we have to get used to it.
    I have a WP7 device (wanted to see what it was like) you do get used to it - I'm looking forward for the new Xbox Companion app to be available for my phone - it will allow my to control my Xbox with it...apparently.

RE: The Metro interface, I've learned to respect it - it keeps the interface clean - I do wish there was a bit 'more' under the hood - especially in Windows 8 - it feels like a tacky add on...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've never seen the PS3 dash but this update smacks a little too much of Microsoft's tendency to bundle everything in Windows into categories to make everything 'slicker' only to destroy a huge chunk of usability in the process—I'd rather have a folder full of three dozen icons than one with only eight in it that I have to decipher to figure out how to get to device drivers (control panel, I'm looking at you!). Granted, it'll no doubt be easier to navigate once I've had the chance to play around with it a bit but it doesn't flow quite as intuitively as the last overhaul did. We'll see.
    At least they now made the game the default option when the machine starts up. Before they had that fucking Spotlight thing and you were forced to scroll up just to play the game in your system. I know it wasn't a huge problem, but the Xbox is a gaming system first, and a multimedia system second. The main focus should be on playing a game. Saving your game to the cloud should prove to be nice, though.

At any rate, I was dorkily excited about Facebook integration when they sent the last email out so I can't really complain, can I?
    There was actually Facebook on there before, though I'm sure it has been redesigned in a big way. When I saw it before, which was right after it launched, it was very limited. I believe the interface was dodgy as well. I never used it, but my friend did briefly. Twitter had an app too, but I never used that either. There is really no need for me to do either of those on my Xbox when I have a computer and Android, plus I don't have a chat pad. If you could take screen shots and post them to Facebook or Twitter, then I might use it. The only games I've played that allowed screenshots to be taken in game are Black Ops and MW3. I'm not even sure if you can share them through social media, though. I only remember seeing the option to share with others who have the game.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I've only had a 360 for about 6 months, and yesterday my little brother decides to pick it up and drop it. Now the disc drive is sort of stuck somewhere between open and closed, damn thing won't budge! I was totally up for Rayman Origins aswell, that game looks amazing on a good HD tv. Well, it was nice knowing you Xbox.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I hated the old dashboard, and am very happy to have something new.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    My disc tray has resisted opening for the past month. All of the "fixes" seem ridiculous (use a paper clip to force it open, break apart the drive and create an insulated washer-device..etc). It'll open but I need to continually spam the open button until it does so. I'm just whining...thanks for listening.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfoot View Post
    At least they now made the game the default option when the machine starts up. Before they had that fucking Spotlight thing and you were forced to scroll up just to play the game in your system. I know it wasn't a huge problem, but the Xbox is a gaming system first, and a multimedia system second. The main focus should be on playing a game.
    Actually, this is a good point. Today, I keep noticing that I try to scroll to get to the game out of habit when the system boots up only to realise it's already highlighted—it makes a lot more sense this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfoot View Post
    There was actually Facebook on there before
    I knew that much but I was under the impression that the new layer of integration would function the way that defunct Xbox Gamercard app on Facebook did—posting your achievements to your wall as you unlock them, posting which games you're playing, etc. I haven't been able to get it to do this so far and while it's not a big deal if I can't (it's about as useful a function as the music tracker on Pidgin, which was also a pain in the butt to configure), if it turns out that this is a gold-only feature (on top of the Facebook app on your Xbox and the Cloud function), I'll not be best pleased. At the moment it doesn't make much sense to go gold if you're not a multiplayer gamer and while the Cloud storage might be enough to eventually convince me to pay for membership, the ability to posts achievements to Facebook isn't really something that I'd dream of paying for.

/mini-rant

Anyway, I'm used to the interface to a certain extent now and I don't hate it. It's still taking me a while to figure out where to go for certain features but the categories are, for the most part, logical.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I knew that much but I was under the impression that the new layer of integration would function the way that defunct Xbox Gamercard app on Facebook did—posting your achievements to your wall as you unlock them, posting which games you're playing, etc. I haven't been able to get it to do this so far and while it's not a big deal if I can't (it's about as useful a function as the music tracker on Pidgin, which was also a pain in the butt to configure)
    I don't care about posting my achievements to Facebook. It's already bad enough that the achievement system has altered the way I play games. I completely know what you mean about Pidgin, as I have gone through that same thing more than once.

if it turns out that this is a gold-only feature (on top of the Facebook app on your Xbox and the Cloud function), I'll not be best pleased. At the moment it doesn't make much sense to go gold if you're not a multiplayer gamer and while the Cloud storage might be enough to eventually convince me to pay for membership, the ability to posts achievements to Facebook isn't really something that I'd dream of paying for.
    I didn't look into that because I'm not sure I'm going to use the feature. If I plan on recovering my gamertag at someone's place I may do that. Hell, I may end up doing it anyway just to take advantage of the feature. It depends on if it also saves locally. I don't want trust Microsoft's servers enough to have that be my only save. It would be a nice backup, or a way to transfer to another system, but not something I would use exclusively. As for paying for Gold, it's a no-brainer for me since I really enjoy playing multiplayer games, but it also has the added benefit of Netflix. I don't think that is available to Silver members. Also, even though I rarely use it, the Last.fm application is nice to have.

Anyway, I'm used to the interface to a certain extent now and I don't hate it. It's still taking me a while to figure out where to go for certain features but the categories are, for the most part, logical.
    I only used it a little bit and my first impression isn't a very good one. I'm not one to get mad at things I can't control, like this, so I'll be fine with it but I have at least one issue so far. Before you scrolled up and down to go between categories and then horizontal to choose in those categories. This is essentially the same idea as the PS3, just rotated, and it worked pretty well. My only issue was defaulting to the fucking Spotlight instead of My Xbox. Now, however, they've rotated it so the category is chosen at the top, but rather then scroll up and down like on the PS3, you just get a few things to choose from. If you scroll to the right when you are on the last thing in the category, it takes you to the next category, rather than taking you to another page of icons in the current category. There might be some logic behind this, but I don't like it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Anybody else get that email from Micro$oft about the free Gold trial this weekend? lololol

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    100% xboxer here. Only got around to looking at the new dashboard today (while watching AVOTT, heh). They have changed it. We fear change. Oh well.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I just now noticed that they changed the 'game details' button on the Xbox dash to X instead of Y; Y is now 'eject'. How does it make sense to change the button that people have learnt to use to install games to eject them instead? Gah. I hate it when services change tiny details for absolutely no reason. It's going to make about 0.0001% difference in my Xbox experience in the long run, but it's annoying nonetheless.

ANYWAY. Bought Brink for 3 quid at the Game sale yesterday as I've heard it's worth about that much, but I still wanted to give it a shot. From what I can tell thus far, it's basically Team Fortress 2 only with better graphics and a ~serious plot~. Like, there's even a red and a blue team. And you have to defend control points. Eh.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I just now noticed that they changed the 'game details' button on the Xbox dash to X instead of Y; Y is now 'eject'. How does it make sense to change the button that people have learnt to use to install games to eject them instead? Gah. I hate it when services change tiny details for absolutely no reason. It's going to make about 0.0001% difference in my Xbox experience in the long run, but it's annoying nonetheless.

ANYWAY. Bought Brink for 3 quid at the Game sale yesterday as I've heard it's worth about that much, but I still wanted to give it a shot. From what I can tell thus far, it's basically Team Fortress 2 only with better graphics and a ~serious plot~. Like, there's even a red and a blue team. And you have to defend control points. Eh.
    That confused and made me a slight irritated as well. I have only really had my Xbox a year and I knew the button setups like the back of my hand. That was a bone thrown in the gear. Also, I hate that when you click the guide button on the controller and wanna turn the game off it's called Xbox Home no longer Dashboard. WTF?

Brink is ok, I borrowed it from a friend in June, gave it back to him and now I have it again since he had no room for it after he moved. I lack motivation to play.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    If true, this is absolute bullshit. Hard to believe and I don't but always the possibility...

http://www.gamesta.com/rumor-xbox-72...ve-disc-drive/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    If true, this is absolute bullshit. Hard to believe and I don't but always the possibility...

http://www.gamesta.com/rumor-xbox-72...ve-disc-drive/
    I think what developers are failing to factor into things with their newfound digital obsession is the fact that a lot of people don't have superfast broadband and are still to this day having their download limits capped. I know I'd probably buy a quarter of the games I do now if I had to download them all; waiting three hours on a shitty connection for a download is a little more hassle than going to the store and buying a copy which is physically yours.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I have to agree that not having the disc is going to suck. But I really have to say that places like Gamestop which seem to whore out resales like crazy is what helped push this.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    yeah, this would be a disaster.

edit: i'm all for the resale market. if they kill the resale market, it would be wise to lower the price of games to compensate, as i'm sure games people are uncertain about/aren't so great will fail completely.
    Last edited by frankie teardrop; 03-09-2012 at 03:59 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I got a new slim for xmas and it has already froze more times than my two previous xbox's. Whether it's over heating or just cant handle the game. If I had know Slim meant sacrificing functionality I would have invested in real Xbox.

Also kinda annoyed I've 1000/1000 a few games but they don't show up in that list because they include DLC achievs too. greasy

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PooPooMeowChow View Post
    I got a new slim for xmas and it has already froze more times than my two previous xbox's. Whether it's over heating or just cant handle the game. If I had know Slim meant sacrificing functionality I would have invested in real Xbox.

Also kinda annoyed I've 1000/1000 a few games but they don't show up in that list because they include DLC achievs too. greasy
    I own one of the first line slim consoles. Only game that freezes on mine occasionally is Gears of War 3 and that's because the game does it, not the console. I've had no game freezes whatsoever aside from Gears 3 and both Fallout games (also the games themselves).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Mine has frozen many times playing Battlefield 3 and Dead Island. Both are installed on my HD. I can totally understand it being the games but I can't help but feel like the Slim is some how to blame. oh well

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Your gamerscore along with many others glitched. They put a fix out already.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I meant if you go to your achievements on the dashboard(or what ever it's called now), there's a panel for games you have 100% achievements. In order to get 100% achievements you have to buy which ever DLC has achievements. I think you should get 100% for getting all base game achievements.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PooPooMeowChow View Post
    I meant if you go to your achievements on the dashboard(or what ever it's called now), there's a panel for games you have 100% achievements. In order to get 100% achievements you have to buy which ever DLC has achievements. I think you should get 100% for getting all base game achievements.
    It's always been like that. The add-on DLC achievements raises the completion percentage. Always has, always will.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Does anyone else think this is a terrible idea?

Microsoft announces $99 360/Kinect bundle, but requires a 2-year Xbox Live Gold contract for $15 a month.

$15 a month for 2 years is $360 (lololo), meaning in total, you're paying a little over $460 bucks for this bundle

Regular Xbox 360/Kinect bundle on Amazon.com = $280
    Two years of Xbox Live Gold = $5 a month, or $120
    Total = $400

You're still getting screwed out of $60 with this bundle!

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Yea, I dont understan who would be dumb enough to pull that off. I mean even the less fortunate kids are able to get gaming systems. I dont even know what the hell is the point to this.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Yeah man....first time I saw it on Twitter I thought 'there has to be some insane catch'. Pretty damn bunk...

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Exactly. And I can see the whole "paying less now and making payments over time" thing, because that's basically what drives a good portion of our economy - but this is a game console, not a car. I would think it'd be better to just buy everything at regular cost, then buy a couple games with the extra $60, which you'll inevitably have to spend on games anyway.

(For the record, I don't have a 360, but I was waiting to see what this bundle was all about. Now I'm definitely not going to bother with it. Black Friday, it is!)