Likes Likes:  0
Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Gotham (FOX Series)

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Gotham (FOX Series)

So, no thread for this show? Much more deserving than me tossing my two cents to talk about it in a DC thread or any other related Batman conversation piece.

Where to begin?

I slept on this show for a few years, I LOVE Batman (see my current avatar choice?) and this show sparked interest until I learned it was way, way before the time the Caped Crusader prowls the city. The show's focus would be on corruption in Gotham City and center on rookie detective Jim Gordon before he became the Commissioner we all know and love in the Universe. Then, of course, there is a young Bruce Wayne with yet another adaptation story of how he came to be. I love the character but the amount of times the origins of him are done in media I'm kinda over it. I was also expecting a Batman universe spin on the typical police procedural show that has dozens of versions on normal network tv.

HOWEVER....

The villains are to be a huge center of the show as well. Regardless I still never looked into it due to the time slot and the fact I didn't expect it to last on a channel like FOX. Boy, was I wrong and STUPID for not watching this way sooner.

I snapped up both seasons on blu-ray via a sale at Best Buy last month and I pretty much have plowed through them extensively quick. I am halfway through season 2 at this moment. Let's have some discussion before season 4 happens! Speaking of which,

Selina Kyle should be be showing her evolution to Catwoman this season!

I plan to buy season 3 on blu-ray ASAP when it is released at the end of August to be able to tune in to the show on season 4's premiere.

Any fans?
    Last edited by Space Suicide; 07-09-2017 at 05:16 PM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I hate to be that guy but I am a huge fan of Robin Lord Taylor's Penguin as he clearly steals the show for me. So much ambition, ferocity and outright believable acting its unreal.

I also am really in love with the Cory Michael Smith portrayal of one of my most favorite and underutilized (in film) Batman villains in Edward Nygma/The Riddler. He truly brings a good sense of heartbreak to the role as he portrays both a likable GCPD employee and a sadistic and brilliant psychopath. I know he and Penguin come into their own in season 3 but I got a bit of episode watching to do until then.

I'll write more later.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I watch this.
    I think it's pretty great overall, but... David Mazouz is totally failing at being Bruce Wayne, IMO. I'm not really familiar with all the versions of the character, but isn't he supposed to adopt a smartass dandy persona? Or is that reserved for when he gets older? So far, it's like he's already Batman Jr in all but name and appearance.
    Also, nobody seems to die in Gotham ever. Endless resurrections are getting old.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I watch this.
    I think it's pretty great overall, but... David Mazouz is totally failing at being Bruce Wayne, IMO. I'm not really familiar with all the versions of the character, but isn't he supposed to adopt a smartass dandy persona? Or is that reserved for when he gets older? So far, it's like he's already Batman Jr in all but name and appearance.
    Also, nobody seems to die in Gotham ever. Endless resurrections are getting old.
    Does the show get heavily involved with it? If so, I assume it's near end of 2 or in season 3.

The Batman universe has supernatural elements and villains that cheat death numerously so it isn't a stretch entirely. Though I know what you mean...Spoiler: I know Jerome Valeska gets revived in season 3 with a New 52 stitched face Joker look and I hate that because he was a good character and they had to have Galavan kill him near the start of season 2. Why kill a character you'd eventually revisit?

I know I haven't watched to season 4 yet but I know some stuff in 3 unfortunately.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Had to bail early on in season 2. Show was embarrassingly bad. Looks pretty though.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Had to bail early on in season 2. Show was embarrassingly bad. Looks pretty though.
    Same. I enjoyed season 1 but it went way off the rails in season 2.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kdrcraig View Post
    Same. I enjoyed season 1 but it went way off the rails in season 2.
    I wasn't a huge fan of Galavan but Ed Nygma Spoiler: killing Ms. Kringle and Mr. Freeze's emergence and origins couldn't be stomached?!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    As idly curious about the show as I am, it sounds like Smallville all over again, as in "Let's ostensibly tell a story about this character before he became this character but include his entire supporting cast, people he has no real business meeting yet, and entire rogues gallery, that way if the show fails we haven't actually damaged the character and brand's reputation". All the benefits of a Batman show and no risk.

Just put him in the fucking suit and call him Batman you chucklefuck executives, I'm not doing this shit again

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    As idly curious about the show as I am, it sounds like Smallville all over again, as in "Let's ostensibly tell a story about this character before he became this character but include his entire supporting cast, people he has no real business meeting yet, and entire rogues gallery, that way if the show fails we haven't actually damaged the character and brand's reputation". All the benefits of a Batman show and no risk.

Just put him in the fucking suit and call him Batman you chucklefuck executives, I'm not doing this shit again
    I've always been a HUGE Batman lover and am always fascinated by villains in literature, gaming, television and films so I understand why that's an angle for this show.

I never watched Smallville so couldn't tell you how it compares.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I happen to quite like Gotham as a wacky alternate universe where shit is just different but familiar, i haven't read every Batman comic there is but maybe that is what saves this show for me. *shrugs*