Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: Megadeth

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Megadeth

The last of the big four to get their own thread.

Even though their body-of-work has been uneven for the last 20 years, Dystopia ranks among their best albums, imho. It was surprisingly good, given how weak Super Collider was, and how half the band had left during production.

My top 5 would be maybe, and in no real order:

Peace Sells
    Rust in Peace
    Countdown to Extinction
    Youthanasia
    Dystopia

Saw them last Sunday in Boston. Awesome show. Saw them in 2000, opening for Motley Crue and they kind of sucked. The bill was just not a good fit.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I lost respect for Mustaine after he became a Reborn Christian. Not because of the religion aspect but because his personality and attitude changed.

However Rust in Peace is an amazing album and one of the absolute best From the 1990's.

Holy Wars is my favorite song. I find it hilarious a song from 1990 is still relevant and as potent now in 2017.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I lost respect for Mustaine after he became a Reborn Christian. Not because of the religion aspect but because his personality and attitude changed.

However Rust in Peace is an amazing album and one of the absolute best From the 1990's.

Holy Wars is my favorite song. I find it hilarious a song from 1990 is still relevant and as potent now in 2017.
    I hear you, but he's always been a little temperamental. He went off at some guy in Boston while he was telling a story, picked on someone else too. Most people would have just ignored them. I'd highly recommend you check out Dystopia, excellent album.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    it is SHOCKING how good Dystopia is considering what their output has been over the last few records, plus with what a right wing loon Mustaine is now. Dystopia really is solid. It has alot of songs that find that middle ground between heaviness & catchiness/accessibility that those big 90's era Megadeth songs were able to:

Maybe Chris from LoG being in the studio band to record drums created some real inspiration. It's funny that Mustaine has been putting out new records very quickly over the last decade, like every 2 or 3 years. Records that no one asked for, and no one really liked. Then he pulls this out of nowhere. Pretty cool. Almost makes me want to see him live but that fucker won't get any of my $ with the ugly shit that comes out of his mouth when he's not performing.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    it is SHOCKING how good Dystopia is considering what their output has been over the last few records, plus with what a right wing loon Mustaine is now. Dystopia really is solid. It has alot of songs that find that middle ground between heaviness & catchiness/accessibility that those big 90's era Megadeth songs were able to:

Maybe Chris from LoG being in the studio band to record drums created some real inspiration. It's funny that Mustaine has been putting out new records very quickly over the last decade, like every 2 or 3 years. Records that no one asked for, and no one really liked. Then he pulls this out of nowhere. Pretty cool. Almost makes me want to see him live but that fucker won't get any of my $ with the ugly shit that comes out of his mouth when he's not performing.
    Awesome album, best since The System Has Failed. The band will enter the studio this year to start the follow-up. Megedeth, Anthrax and Metallica all released great albums last year.

http://loudwire.com/dave-mustaine-me...dio-late-2017/

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Don’t listen to megadeth. But hope he recovers.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Life long fan here, although I wouldn’t call myself an super-fan or anything like that. Not to turn this into a pissing contest or anything, but Megadeth’s output since the 80’s is WAY better than Metallica. They’ve had some classic albums even after the glory days of 80’s thrash at its peak.

Also well wishes to Mustaine. Might not be the most popular guy but whatevs, guy is a legend in metal. Was 50/50 on seeing them in Milwaukee on the 4th (first it was Ozzy canceling, then Megadeth- his opener- ended up being the replacement in a huge ampitheatre) but obviously health comes first.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    My best wishes to Dave, sad to see anyone in music get afflicted with any kind of illness, especially cancer.

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    I’m sitting here on vacation and listening to RIP, probably for at least the 100th time (over the course of history- not my vacation). Remembered this Onion article for some reason. Some fun reading, cheers...

https://entertainment.theonion.com/h...h-s-1819578062

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    I’m sitting here on vacation and listening to RIP, probably for at least the 100th time (over the course of history- not my vacation). Remembered this Onion article for some reason. Some fun reading, cheers..?

https://entertainment.theonion.com/h...h-s-1819578062
    That's great. Imagine a world where Cliff didn't die and Dave wasn't fired from Metallica...

Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    That's great. Imagine a world where Cliff didn't die and Dave wasn't fired from Metallica...
    the Cliff situation is obviously tragic and sad. As for Dave getting booted it seemed to work out for everyone, and us as fans got two incredible 80s thrash bands (and more music) out of it.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krazy View Post
    the Cliff situation is obviously tragic and sad. As for Dave getting booted it seemed to work out for everyone, and us as fans got two incredible 80s thrash bands (and more music) out of it.
    Yeah, but still, I wonder what that lineup could have achieved, kind of like a finished Back to the Future with Erik Stoltz.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Yeah, but still, I wonder what that lineup could have achieved, kind of like a finished Back to the Future with Erik Stoltz.
    Dave is far too good of a guitar player to be in Metallica. Although it would have likely been better financially (assuming they gained the same popularity with him) Megadeth is a much better fit as far as pairing him with good musicians over the years and an infinitely better band. The current lineup with Dirk is honestly their strongest, at least since the classic RIP lineup. I can’t wait to hear what they have cooked up.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    The current lineup with Dirk is honestly their strongest, at least since the classic RIP lineup. I can’t wait to hear what they have cooked up.
    I saw them in Austria back in February (for free, I would never give Dave another dime of my $ after the horrible views he's spouted over the years) and they were tight as fuck. They sounded fantastic.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I like it when people bring up Megadeth, because it's a great opportunity to point out that their song "A Tout Le Monde" is the single silliest "rawk moment" ever. It is such complete bullshit songwriting it's astounding.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Megadeth beer Unibroue | À Tout le Monde | Belgian-Style Dry, Hopped Saison | is delicious.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    another episode of gibson icons, dave mustaine this time. this is good stuff as with all the other icons episodes: