Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: The Twilight Zone

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

The Twilight Zone

Any fans? Surely there are on this forum. I'm not talking the 80's or the 2003 versions I mean the classic 1959-1964 goodness! My ass so would've watched this every week if I were alive then.

I was about to gear up for the annual New Year's Eve/Day SyFy marathon as per usual but luckily my grandparents got me the Definitive Collection of this for Christmas aka every episode, every season, 28 discs total.

Anyways, what's your favorite episodes? Let's discuss and be nerds or awesome people. Your call.

Some of my favorites are Death's Head Revisited, He's Alive!, Night Call, The Lonely, The Obsolete Man and Five Characters in Search of an Exit to name a few.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I've seen a few, but they can't get any more creepily ironic than a child who escaped the Vietnam War, acting in a Vietnam War battle sequence and being killed by a crashing helicopter (along with Vic Morrow and another...). Rod Serling would have just shaken his head in amazement.
    EDIT: For those who don't know, it was during the filming of Twilight Zone: The Movie in 1982...
    Last edited by Fixer808; 12-28-2011 at 02:27 AM. Reason: CONTEXT, BITCHES

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I don't think I've ever seen a single episode all the way through. Just bits and pieces. Maybe when I was younger and I just don't remember.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I look forward to the New Years Eve SyFy marathon every year but I do believe that the whole series is now on Netflix Instant which makes the marathon on SyFy, with all of it's commercials, somewhat OBSOLETE.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EPICRAGE View Post
    I look forward to the New Years Eve SyFy marathon every year but I do believe that the whole series is now on Netflix Instant which makes the marathon on SyFy, with all of it's commercials, somewhat OBSOLETE.
    Netflix has all of the half-hour episodes. It is missing Season 4 (hour-long episodes), which admittedly, wasn't that great overall anyway.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    The classic TZ is, to me, perfect TV. There isn't a single episode I can think of that isn't absolutely brilliant. Rod Serling was a genius and way ahead of his time.

One of the things I like is spotting now-famous, but then-unknown actors. There's a surprisingly large amount of them.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Finally was able to watch most of the series a few months back when it dropped on netflix instant watch.

A few of my favorites:
    Judgement Day
    Third From the Sun
    The Hitch-hiker
    The Howling Man
    The Invaders
    A Hundred Yards Over the Rim
    The Silence
    It's a Good Life
    Five Characters In Search of An Exit
    To Serve Man
    Four O' Clock

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    A Hundred Yards Over the Rim
    Egh, I hate that episode. It's just so...I don't know. Not one of the best to me.

I love To Serve Man, I forgot about that one.

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Most of my favorites tend to have a political slant, like Four O'Clock, where the main character is a utter asshole.

Another favorite of mine is the one about Mardi Gras masks.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    Most of my favorite tend to have a political slant, like Four O'Clock, where the main character is a utter asshole.

Another favorite of mine is the one about Mardi Gras masks.
    The Masks! I love that one.

It's also the only original TZ episode directed by a woman, Ida Lupino

Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Oh, and Stopover in a Quiet Town was downright creepy the first time I saw it.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Started watching Night Gallery, Serling's follow-up to TZ, more horror, less sci-fi, but has the same feel. Good show.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)

The Twilight Zone

So, I'm loving this (the new series w/ Jordan Peele)... and I just would like to hear that other people are watching it, or what they think about it. I'm in the middle of the third episode, and I just had to pause it to exclaim my love for this.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    I'm very interested in checking this out, but I just can't bring myself to pay for a streaming service for one or two shows. I'm a huge fan of the original, so I'm going to need to separate the two when I do watch it, because I know there's no way it will ever be in that league, but it definitely seems like it could be good for what it is.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I have CBS AA because I wanted to watch Star Trek. So far I am very happy with the new TZ series.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    I'm very interested in checking this out, but I just can't bring myself to pay for a streaming service for one or two shows. I'm a huge fan of the original, so I'm going to need to separate the two when I do watch it, because I know there's no way it will ever be in that league, but it definitely seems like it could be good for what it is.
    For what it’s worth, I signed up for a free month, and when I went to cancel the auto-renewal, they gave me two free months. Do with that information what you will...

On a quick note, really liking the reboot! It feels a liiiittle “Twilight Zone lite” so far, but I haven’t been unimpressed by anything yet. Next episode with Steven Yeun looks awesome, can’t wait.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 04-16-2019 at 02:38 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Overall, I've been enjoying the new series, but does anyone else think the show is a bit preachy and heavy-handed with the social commentary?

Not All Men didn't even make sense. If the meteorite wasn't really responsible for the men acting crazy, why did their eyes turn blood red? And what is the episode saying? Virtually all men are potential rapists and murders and will act on that innate impulse because of a magic rock from outter space? Most of the men wouldn't even be aware of the meteor shower and wouldn't have used that as an excuse.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Three episodes into season 2 of the latest revival and I love it. I liked the first season but it was a little uneven, but I really like season 2 so far. Just really gripping stories, very much in the style of the original series.