Faceplams Faceplams:  0

Thread: The Witcher Netflix Show

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

The Witcher Netflix Show

Looks like Netflix is ready to turn The Witcher into a TV Show

http://www.kotaku.co.uk/2017/05/17/n...a-tv-programme

The original author of the books, Andrzej Sapkowski, will be be a consultant on the show, saying "I’m thrilled that Netflix will be doing an adaptation of my stories, staying true to the source material and the themes that I have spent over thirty years writing. I’m excited about our efforts together, as well as the team assembled to shepherd these characters to life."

Now given how much the Witcher has been made popular by the games and how much Andrzej ...dislikes them (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...ed-the-witcher), it's safe to assume it won't be anything like the games, at least not anything like Witcher 3.

Personally i'm a little apprehensive. I loved Witcher 3, both Gameplay and Story were fantastic, and i've heard mixed things about the books (many people online claim the first book is the only one worth reading!) i'm worried it'll just end up being like a bit of a Game of Thrones clone

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Halfway through episode 1. It’s really good!

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    going to give this show a chance. only thing i know about it is it's a video game series, and I'm just kinda getting into the mythical/lore type stuff (i.e., I downloaded Skyrim on switch and am hooked)

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    i binge watched the whole thing. i wasn't too impressed. sort of a poor man's GOT. i think the difference is GOT came from books & this came from a video game originally. some will like it i suppose.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Actually I think the video game came from the books.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
    Actually I think the video game came from the books.

OK. not familiar with them. regardless, didn't like the show much.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    First episode done, and it is just not gripping me. I just ain't feeling the characters. Someone who said poor man's GOT nailed it. I found the writing lazy and predictable. I especially loathe the score, can be quite cheesy at times. There's these big emotional music cues when a certain character dies that you had maybe 2 minutes with and a couple of lines of dialogue and you're supposed to be moved by their death, but you're not since you barely got to know the character. Let's hope it gets better.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    First episode done, and it is just not gripping me. I just ain't feeling the characters. Someone who said poor man's GOT nailed it. I found the writing lazy and predictable. I especially loathe the score, can be quite cheesy at times. There's these big emotional music cues when a certain character dies that you had maybe 2 minutes with and a couple of lines of dialogue and you're supposed to be moved by their death, but you're not since you barely got to know the character. Let's hope it gets better.
    it doesn't get better. just my opinion. seem like they pulled a bunch of elements from stuff like LOTR & GOT & mashed it together. the special effects are pretty laughable in some spots. between this & 6 underground, netflix hasn't been quite as shiny. think i'm ditching it at end of month. i will say "the 2 popes" was surprisingly good & have high hopes for the adam sandler film. watching a lot as i'm in holidays hiding out mode.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    3 episodes in and I’m loving it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    it doesn't get better. just my opinion. seem like they pulled a bunch of elements from stuff like LOTR & GOT & mashed it together. the special effects are pretty laughable in some spots. between this & 6 underground, netflix hasn't been quite as shiny. think i'm ditching it at end of month. i will say "the 2 popes" was surprisingly good & have high hopes for the adam sandler film. watching a lot as i'm in holidays hiding out mode.
    Just wrapped it up.. I felt it did get better as it went along. I was kinda skeptical at first. Many in this fantasy genre seem to be inspired somewhat by Tolkien, but you do realize this came out prior to Game Of Thrones though right?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckrh View Post
    We gave up after episode 4 lol.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    We gave up after episode 4 lol.
    I did kill the Netflix subscription today. Cost cutting measure. When I first got it was because of the 4K UHD content primarily. In order to get that you have to buy the most expensive package, total scam. I objectively looked at what is available now as compared to a year ago & they have lost so much content. Also, they decided to play games with the Sandler movie. Is going to be released on the platform everywhere else in the world at the end of the month with no announced date for the US. Everybody launching separate platforms is getting out of control & I just can't afford it. I'll just stick to my basic cable as most of what I watch is sports anyway. There is plenty of other content provided so its not like there is going to be nothing to watch.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Anyone else feel that Henry Cavil is channeling the Richard Harrow character from Boardwalk Empire?

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    I read somewhere that Henry Cavil was super into the video game and the books, so I'm going to give the rest of the episodes a go now that the holiday obligations are past.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    This was really, really good. Finally, a fantasy series that feels right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    This was really, really good. Finally, a fantasy series that feels right.
    I wholeheartedly agree! It just felt nice being embarked on a fantasy journey that just felt at ease with being what it was. Comparing it to GOT or LOTR is out of place to me, this isn't an epic journey to save the world (or is it? I don't yet have feelings of dread, despair and melancholy at least) nor is it drenched in politics, sex and violence. This is just good fantasy and I loved it. Cavill is great, as are the other actors.