Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Movies (Spoilers)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Star Wars: The Movies (Spoilers)

Figured we might as well have a thread for when the time comes...and since it appears the wait is going to be a bit shorter.

The Walt Disney Company and Lucasfilm announced today that Episode IX will actually drop May 24, 2019 (not December 2019) so half a year less it looks like...

edit: totally messed my dates up lol.

Last edited by october_midnight; 04-25-2017 at 02:50 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    IX was never supposed to come out in 2018. The plan was to always release the saga films every 2 years
    2015: VII
    2016: RO
    2017: VIII
    2018: Han Solo
    2019: IX

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    So, speculations on where this thing is headed?

I guess the prequels were sort of a win for the dark side (correct me if i'm wrong as i only saw them once,) with the original trilogy going to the white hats.
    So seeing as how the eastern philosophy that seems to permeate Star Wars is all about balance, i think this thing is somehow going to come down in the middle.
    I think it will be some kind of victory for "the force," which isn't good or bad.
    It just is.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Wow. JJ Abrams officially signed on to write and direct Episode IX!!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Damnit, i was just about to post that. Here's a link anyway http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-41245547

I'm pretty OK with that.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Very interesting. I still think TFA is a much better film than RO, with my only gripe being its unoriginality. I think if they veered the story just slightly further away from ANH it could have been excellent. But with Rian Johnson guiding the story somewhere with his film, I think Abrams will be able to bring it all back home and close out an overall solid trilogy. We shall see.
    Last edited by imail724; 09-12-2017 at 12:34 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I am very OK with this. JJ will do great with it.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Yeah, I think that bringing JJ back for the final film is an infinitely better choice than Trevorrow. The only thing I'm worried about now is how they'll handle Carrie Fisher's absence. An off-screen death doesn't seem appropriate because she's such an important character.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Star Wars Episode IX: Return of the Lens Flare

Okay, that was too easy.

Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    The only thing I'm worried about now is how they'll handle Carrie Fisher's absence. An off-screen death doesn't seem appropriate because she's such an important character.
    Agreed 100%. Her death is already going to make The Last Jedi heartbreaking to watch.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Now also delayed to Dec 20, 2019.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Not surprising. This much activity and having to rework the script to fit the story makes sense. I'm used to this as a Christmas occasion anyway so not a big deal.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I can't think of anyone i'd rather have writing and directing than Abrams.
    I'm fucking thrilled.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I can't think of anyone i'd rather have writing and directing than Abrams.
    I'm fucking thrilled.
    I'm not. I really liked TFA, it was a great way to kick off the new trilogy, but J.J. plays it safe and sticks to tropes and keeps it predictable. I have a feeling that IX will be the weakest in the new trilogy--the Into Darkness of Star Wars.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I'm not. I really liked TFA, it was a great way to kick off the new trilogy, but J.J. plays it safe and sticks to tropes and keeps it predictable. I have a feeling that IX will be the weakest in the new trilogy--the Into Darkness of Star Wars.
    I feel you but I WANT this trilogy kind of safe after the horror of the prequels.
    We have the rest of our lives for SW to go utterly and completely fucking sideways.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I feel you but I WANT this trilogy kind of safe after the horror of the prequels.
    We have the rest of our lives for SW to go utterly and completely fucking sideways.
    Please, don't just have the finale be blowing up another Death Star/Star Killer Base.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 09-14-2017 at 05:47 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Having seen some of the promo materials on the toys.....

have I got a tweet for you!

Spoiler: https://twitter.com/tswtoyboxdaily/s...92682269835264

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I'm glad they decided to stick with a December release for Episode IX. JJ Abrams returning is exciting news, although I am hoping VIII and IX are not just remakes of Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Also, please no more Death Stars/Starkiller Bases.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Please, just have the finale be blowing up another Death Star/Star Killer Base.
    dude, there will be a star wars movie every year or two for the rest of your life.
    Just look at that hotel thing Disney is building
    And in a few years, I expect star wars to be unrecognizable from the OG star wars.
    Re: blowing up starkiller base at the end of 9, I doubt they'll play it THAT safe, but I don't give a fuck if he does.
    I wonder how old you are? I'm going on 38 and the nostalgia of TFA gave me goosebumps and brought me to tears because several of my first conscious memories have to do with the OT. And I want a whole trilogy of that.
    Furthermore, I expect that's what we're getting to a certain degree. And I hope you choke on it. ( NOT REALLY xoxoxo<3)
    Also, if it's played too safe, don't blame JJ. Storywise, I imagine he'll be doing EXACTLY what Disney tells him to do. JJ is a fucking AMAZING sci fi director imho. He's the best mainstream director for this sort of thing working in this era.
    THAT'S why im glad he's directing: it has nothing to do with his "vision for the story." I think he'll be more interpreting what Disney has planned rather than actually WRITING it.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    dude, there will be a star wars movie every year or two for the rest of your life.
    Just look at that hotel thing Disney is building
    And in a few years, I expect star wars to be unrecognizable from the OG star wars.
    Re: blowing up starkiller base at the end of 9, I doubt they'll play it THAT safe, but I don't give a fuck if he does.
    I wonder how old you are? I'm going on 38 and the nostalgia of TFA gave me goosebumps and brought me to tears because several of my first conscious memories have to do with the OT. And I want a whole trilogy of that.
    Furthermore, I expect that's what we're getting to a certain degree. And I hope you choke on it. ( NOT REALLY xoxoxo<3)
    Also, if it's played too safe, don't blame JJ. Storywise, I imagine he'll be doing EXACTLY what Disney tells him to do. JJ is a fucking AMAZING sci fi director imho. He's the best mainstream director for this sort of thing working in this era.
    THAT'S why im glad he's directing: it has nothing to do with his "vision for the story." I think he'll be more interpreting what Disney has planned rather than actually WRITING it.
    I have mixed feelings about J.J. I thought he did a very good job with TFA, but his Star Trek movies sucked beyond belief.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    In the end this is all Kathleen Kennedy's business and JJ is just the executor. Think about thwis woman what you want but she's been involved in every single one of your fondest cinema memories from ET, to Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park and Star Wars. Either way I'm fine with Abrams and I am rather excited what Rian Johnson did with the last Jedi.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I have mixed feelings about J.J. I thought he did a very good job with TFA, but his Star Trek movies sucked beyond belief.
    Well see i think STAR TREK sucks beyond belief, but he did a very good job with the Star Trek movies :P

It was the coolest star trek movie i've ever seen and i've seen a LOT of them. i thought the first Abrams one was utterly fucking STUNNING. (i don't really think star trek sucks beyond belief, i just never really got into it aside from catching the movies, usually on acid. i've just never gotten in the show and i couldn't resist the wordplay :P)

EDIT:
    Dude, i don't think there's any way we're gonna see eye to eye on this one.

To each his own, i suppose.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Well see i think STAR TREK sucks beyond belief, but he did a very good job with the Star Trek movies :P

It was the coolest star trek movie i've ever seen and i've seen a LOT of them. i thought the first Abrams one was utterly fucking STUNNING. (i don't really think star trek sucks beyond belief, i just never really got into it aside from catching the movies, usually on acid. i've just never gotten in the show and i couldn't resist the wordplay :P)

EDIT:
    Dude, i don't think there's any way we're gonna see eye to eye on this one.

To each his own, i suppose.
    Abrams has stated that he was never a fan of Star Trek and it shows. His movies were full of holes, there was little or no substance, the cast was good but they played the characters all wrong--Emo Spock, Stifler Kirk, etc. The Spock/Uhura romance was forced, comes out of nowhere, the bridge looks like an Apple store, the villains in those movies were boring, flat and lifeless, I could go on and on.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Abrams has stated that he was never a fan of Star Trek and it shows. His movies were full of holes, there was little or no substance, the cast was good but they played the characters all wrong--Emo Spock, Stifler Kirk, etc. The Spock/Uhura romance was forced, comes out of nowhere, the bridge looks like an Apple store, the villains in those movies were boring, flat and lifeless, I could go on and on.
    And see I thought it was fucking amazing. We are just at opposite ends of the spectrum on this one and there's no point in arguing.

I think @dlb 's point is the most important thing here. He's not going to personally get star wars wrong in terms of story because K. Kennedy isn't going to LET him.
    So if you loved everything about TFA except the story being too safe, then I think a lot of what you loved was J.J.'s doing.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    And see I thought it was fucking amazing. We are just at opposite ends of the spectrum on this one and there's no point in arguing.

I think @dlb 's point is the most important thing here. He's not going to personally get star wars wrong in terms of story because K. Kennedy isn't going to LET him.
    So if you loved everything about TFA except the story being too safe, then I think a lot of what you loved was J.J.'s doing.
    He just seems like he is a much better fit for SW. Really liked TFA, I have high hopes for TLJ, don't blow it with IX.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    Having seen some of the promo materials on the toys.....

have I got a tweet for you!

Spoiler: https://twitter.com/tswtoyboxdaily/s...92682269835264
    I swear, if there is a deathstar in The Last Jedi, it better turn out to be only a deathstar poster on Kylo Ren’s bedroom wall next to his kenner Darth Vader helmet.

… It was the coolest star trek movie i've ever seen and i've seen a LOT of them. i thought the first Abrams one was utterly fucking STUNNING…
    If Gene Roddenberry were alive today to see what has been done to Star Trek, he’d likely be looking to punch somebody square in the dick!

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    If Gene Roddenberry were alive today to see what has been done to Star Trek, he’d likely be looking to punch somebody square in the dick!
    i don't know who Rod Genberry is, but if you're talking about not liking the 2009 movie, 94% of critics disagree.

For the record, i just looked at the dates those movies came out and i actually only saw 3 in the theater. And the only reason i watched them was because it was something fun to do on a head full of high powered blotter acid. And i've literally never seen one episode of the show.

I think it comes down to me not being a Trekker. If i was, from what you guys are saying, i probably wouldn't have liked it either.
    Last edited by elevenism; 09-14-2017 at 11:07 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    i don't know who Rod Genberry is, but if you're talking about not liking the 2009 movie, 94% of critics disagree.

For the record, i just looked at the dates those movies came out and i actually only saw 3 in the theater. And the only reason i watched them was because it was something fun to do on a head full of high powered blotter acid. And i've literally never seen one episode of the show.

I think it comes down to me not being a Trekker. If i was, from what you guys are saying, i probably wouldn't have liked it either.
    From what you guys are saying,
    Here is the breakdown in a nutshell. There isn’t anything wrong with liking the 09 ST reboot series, but it should be understood that they are not Star Trek.

Star Trek was created by Gene Roddenberry. His TV series often employed a narrative of exploring real world social and moral issues against the backdrop of the sci-fi epic. Not every episode or movie in his series is a masterpiece, a fair number were duds. But even in many of the failures there seemed to be higher aspirations. Even though Gene died in the early 90s, the TV series arguably reached its peak popularity in that timeframe in the hands of creative people who continued his vision.

In 2009 J.J. gave birth to Abramsverse, Hollywood action romps which in narrative really had nothing to do with what Gene was doing with Star Trek. Probably the larger movie going audience who didn’t have the patience for the older TV series found these Abramsverse films to be much easier to digest. Judging these films on their own merit, they are mindless fun action films. Judging them in the context of Star Trek however, Star Trek (2009) had some considerable flaws, but was the most tolerable of the three. Star Trek Into Darkness was just nonstop pissing into the wind, and even the creators of the follow-up essentially ignored it. And that follow-up, Star Trek Beyond, there I sat, the fiftieth anniversary of Trek, watching thousands of spaceships explode in brilliant flames while the Beastie Boys were jammin' through the speakers. It had all the dignity and depth of a monster truck rally.

So yeah, that’s where I kinda stand on Abrams and his dealings with Star Trek. His doings in SW: TFA were kind of better, I guess.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Here is the breakdown in a nutshell. There isn’t anything wrong with liking the 09 ST reboot series, but it should be understood that they are not Star Trek.

Star Trek was created by Gene Roddenberry. His TV series often employed a narrative of exploring real world social and moral issues against the backdrop of the sci-fi epic. Not every episode or movie in his series is a masterpiece, a fair number were duds. But even in many of the failures there seemed to be higher aspirations. Even though Gene died in the early 90s, the TV series arguably reached its peak popularity in that timeframe in the hands of creative people who continued his vision.

In 2009 J.J. gave birth to Abramsverse, Hollywood action romps which in narrative really had nothing to do with what Gene was doing with Star Trek. Probably the larger movie going audience who didn’t have the patience for the older TV series found these Abramsverse films to be much easier to digest. Judging these films on their own merit, they are mindless fun action films. Judging them in the context of Star Trek however, Star Trek (2009) had some considerable flaws, but was the most tolerable of the three. Star Trek Into Darkness was just nonstop pissing into the wind, and even the creators of the follow-up essentially ignored it. And that follow-up, Star Trek Beyond, there I sat, the fiftieth anniversary of Trek, watching thousands of spaceships explode in brilliant flames while the Beastie Boys were jammin' through the speakers. It had all the dignity and depth of a monster truck rally.

So yeah, that’s where I kinda stand on Abrams and his dealings with Star Trek. His doings in SW: TFA were kind of better, I guess.
    Man, that 2009 was so bad. It's like the story was just an afterthought. Nero goes back in time over 100 years, does he give Romulus a heads-up that it will be destroyed? Nope. Does he give Romulus 24th century technology, which would make them the biggest super power in the Alpha Quadrant? Nope. What does he do? He blows up Vulcan to get back at Spock for not saving Romulus 100+ years in the future, even though now he can warn his home planet about events to come. Awful writing.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 09-14-2017 at 03:30 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Man, that 2009 was so bad. It's like the story was just an afterthought. Nero goes back in time over 100 years, does he give Romulus a heads-up that it will be destroyed? Nope. Does he give Romulus 24th century technology, which would make them the biggest super power in the Alpha Quadrant? Nope. What does he do? He blows up Vulcan to get back at Spock for not saving Romulus 100+ years in the future, even though now he can warn his home planet about events to come. Awful writing.
    I’d agree. All three Trek’s had problems like that. But as a matter of preference I still like 09 best of the three, and find the Nero issue somewhat forgivable. If I remember the story correctly he wasn’t a military man or a strategist of any kind, Nero was the captain of a mining barge. I can chalk his poor planning and tactical decision making up to that.

But in broader strokes, bad storytelling is what holds these J.J. sci-fi movies back. The guy is great in the technical production of putting solid images on the screen, and generally playing on nostalgia, and even getting compelling performances out of his actors. But as far as I can tell, he really fumbles with telling a coherent and focused story.

This was my biggest issue with TFA, the story is all over the map and never distills into a coherent thing. The opening text crawl claims the movie is about everyone looking for Luke, but from that point on the story goes in a hundred different ways and none of them have anything to do with people looking for Luke. Then at the end R2 randomly awakens and says here is the map to Luke. Again great images, solid acting, nostalgia well played, but after seeing it 6 or 7 times I still have no clue what the hell the movie was really supposed to be about other than introducing the new characters and having the old characters pass the torch. The next film has its work cut out for it to provide some context to all this. And I can’t say I’m thrilled to have J.J. back for the last one.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    I’d agree. All three Trek’s had problems like that. But as a matter of preference I still like 09 best of the three, and find the Nero issue somewhat forgivable. If I remember the story correctly he wasn’t a military man or a strategist of any kind, Nero was the captain of a mining barge. I can chalk his poor planning and tactical decision making up to that.

But in broader strokes, bad storytelling is what holds these J.J. sci-fi movies back. The guy is great in the technical production of putting solid images on the screen, and generally playing on nostalgia, and even getting compelling performances out of his actors. But as far as I can tell, he really fumbles with telling a coherent and focused story.

This was my biggest issue with TFA, the story is all over the map and never distills into a coherent thing. The opening text crawl claims the movie is about everyone looking for Luke, but from that point on the story goes in a hundred different ways and none of them have anything to do with people looking for Luke. Then at the end R2 randomly awakens and says here is the map to Luke. Again great images, solid acting, nostalgia well played, but after seeing it 6 or 7 times I still have no clue what the hell the movie was really supposed to be about other than introducing the new characters and having the old characters pass the torch. The next film has its work cut out for it to provide some context to all this. And I can’t say I’m thrilled to have J.J. back for the last one.
    Agreed 100% with all of this. Star Trek Beyond had some of the more fun adventure elements I remembered from the more spirited Trek films, some beautiful imagery, but ultimately sat on a foundation of hollow characters without convincing emotional motives.

I have reasonably low expectations for both franchises, going forward, which is a shame. Geeks inherited the Earth, and turned it into a fucking Wal-Mart.
    Last edited by botley; 09-14-2017 at 08:30 PM.