Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Movies (Spoilers)

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I'm really shocked as are other people by how carelessly they seem to have handled the new trilogy up to a point where one could think more thought has gone into Solo and Rogue One. This next installement doesn't feel llike an epic conclusion to me at all, yet I'm intrigued how they will sum it all up. The Emperor gave me a nice thrill and the trailer had some beautiful shots as well. This could turn out really satisfying or totally forgetable.

The Mandalorian on the other hand looks and sounds really exciting. Can't wait to check out the first episodes in November.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    The Hungarian translation of the title is Age of Skywalker. Reading the comments, many people took personal offence in the mistranslation, and currently having a field day at the expense of the translators. It is the first SW title that is not a literal translation of the original. I personally couldn't care less, unless after seeing the movie it would become obvious that the original title was very important to the plot.

What was more interesting to me is that the "no one's ever really gone" was translated with gone being interpreted as disappear, and not dead. Probably just a minor thing though.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    The German translation really makes it clear to me that it has to do with Luke or some other Skywalker and not particular female, otherwise they would have worded it a tad differently. Well, half a year to go to find it out!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    It is the first SW title that is not a literal translation of the original.
    Not with TPM and the Ominous Shadows it was hiding in.

The use of the singular v plural forms of Jedi and Sith for VI and III always struck me as oddly random too.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Microwave Jellyfish View Post
    Not with TPM and the Ominous Shadows it was hiding in.

The use of the singular v plural forms of Jedi and Sith for VI and III always struck me as oddly random too.
    I thought about TPM before I said that, but ultimately that is an extremely close translation. It may be passed as "ominous shadows" in English, but the actual words in Hungarian don't sound that clichéd or boring. It also gives back the meaning of the original, aka unseen threat. It's not plural, that's true, but I don't think it matters whether it's threat or threats.

As for the other two, ROTJ is singular, because there is one Jedi, and ROTS is plural because there are (at least) two Sith. I think that makes sense.

But translating rise of to age of is a bit more than a stretch.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Big rumor going around as to Rey's parentage that'll be revealed in TROS... article here though of course....big spoiler alert.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    if she's a skywalker i'm gonna poop a duke. it would be so god damn disappointing.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    if she's a skywalker i'm gonna poop a duke. it would be so god damn disappointing.
    Oh, c'mon. It wouldn't be THAT bad, would it?

But, I don't think that's the case, literally. I'm interested in the idea that she was created, like Anakin was, making her a sort of Vader clone. That would be dope.

I also like the idea of Rey and Kylo becoming lovers.

But, it would seriously bother you if she was luke or leia's daughter?

Idk, man. I would like it. I don't think that's what's gonna happen, and, maybe I'm just a sucker for nostalgia, and like, "mirroring" and "rhyming," that I would actually like it a lot.

I take it you want it to be something bolder and riskier, right? See, I like that, but I ALSO would love a big old nostalgia trip.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    the downside of being directly related to either is that she met both of them and they didn't know who she was, so you're suggesting a love-child of a sort, a one-time tryst that they can't remember? Leia particularly since she would have had to have given birth, hence why there aren't maternity tests available.

Maybe Shmi had another force baby while in slavery?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    the downside of being directly related to either is that she met both of them and they didn't know who she was, so you're suggesting a love-child of a sort, a one-time tryst that they can't remember? Leia particularly since she would have had to have given birth, hence why there aren't maternity tests available.
    Unless they just didn't recognize her as an adult because they hadn't seen her since she was a baby? I will say that if that were the case, Leia should have figured it out since she's Force sensitive, too (same goes for Luke being her father).

Maybe Shmi had another force baby while in slavery?
    Unless she ages like Wolverine, she's way too young for that. If they pull the Force-baby/immaculate conception by divine intervention thing, I'd be more inclined to think she's the offspring of Palpatine (and someone other than Shmi) and she was born to balance out the Force since Kylo was fated to turn to the dark side. It would shed some light on the reasons for his inclusion in this movie and why the Death Star remains seem to be the location of Kylo and Rey's final confrontation. I feel like they're making it seem like Kylo might be redeemed, only to have this reveal pull the proverbial rug out from under the audience and have him instead do something (like try to trap or betray Rey) to further cement his allegiance to the Dark Side. Maybe he's been receiving training from the Force ghost of the Emperor (since Vader's force ghost would be Anakin since he was somewhat redeemed right before his death) while hiding out there, just as Rey is likely learning from Force ghosts of Luke and possibly Yoda and/or Obi-wan.
    Last edited by sonic_discord; 05-29-2019 at 01:10 PM.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    The biggest problem with a reveal like that is that it's too late. We are in the endgame (hah!) now, so every information like that is like... who cares? Last chapters are not about building up the characters, it is about finishing their arc; it's their crescendo.

I kinda wish it happened though, because we could get the most anticlimatic reveal in the history of cinema!

VII: She grabbed Luke's lightsaber?! Without any training?! Oh God, she's special for sure, so cool!
    VIII: Plot twist! She is a nobody! Why would you think you have to be special to be a hero? Everyday people can be heroes too, this is the moral of the story! You forge your own destiny!
    IX: Just kidding, of course she is a Skywalker you morons, lol!!!

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Well, I dunno if anyone clicked on the link from the spammy comicbook dotcom, but it says she'd be a lovechild of Han Solo's after he split with Leia or something, thus technically not making her a Skywalker but still giving her legacy heritage. In my experience, comicbook dotcom reports anything and everything, so I'd take that rumor with a huge barrel of salt for now.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    Well, I dunno if anyone clicked on the link from the spammy comicbook dotcom, but it says she'd be a lovechild of Han Solo's after he split with Leia or something, thus technically not making her a Skywalker but still giving her legacy heritage. In my experience, comicbook dotcom reports anything and everything, so I'd take that rumor with a huge barrel of salt for now.
    also, if that's true, gross to all the shippers

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    also, if that's true, gross to all the shippers
    I mean... Luke and Leia...

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    I mean... Luke and Leia...
    exactly. barrrrrf.

anyway, yeah, if she's a skywalker or solo, that's gonna be really disappointing. i love the idea of her being no one important and just being very in tune with the force, like the kid at the end of last jedi. it's like at the end of buffy when willow does the spell to make it so all the potential slayers become full slayers, it's amazing.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic_discord View Post
    Unless they just didn't recognize her as an adult because they hadn't seen her since she was a baby? I will say that if that were the case, Leia should have figured it out since she's Force sensitive, too (same goes for Luke being her father).

Unless she ages like Wolverine, she's way too young for that. If they pull the Force-baby/immaculate conception by divine intervention thing, I'd be more inclined to think she's the offspring of Palpatine (and someone other than Shmi) and she was born to balance out the Force since Kylo was fated to turn to the dark side. It would shed some light on the reasons for his inclusion in this movie and why the Death Star remains seem to be the location of Kylo and Rey's final confrontation. I feel like they're making it seem like Kylo might be redeemed, only to have this reveal pull the proverbial rug out from under the audience and have him instead do something (like try to trap or betray Rey) to further cement his allegiance to the Dark Side. Maybe he's been receiving training from the Force ghost of the Emperor (since Vader's force ghost would be Anakin since he was somewhat redeemed right before his death) while hiding out there, just as Rey is likely learning from Force ghosts of Luke and possibly Yoda and/or Obi-wan.
    I apologize for making you think I was serious.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    I apologize for making you think I was serious.
    Reading it again, it's much more obvious now. But I gotta say, there are some WILD fan theories regarding Star Wars out there, so you never know. As far as Han being her father, I highly doubt that's true.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Damn.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Also, a description of the new trailer shown today

Obvious spoiler warning.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    That picture looks very amateur, but to my knowledge it was only made for that event or something. I am, however, excited about the spoiler, and hopefully they will tease it in a trailer eventually.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    People being related to each other as a twist should be retired for eternity. It's so fucking tired

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Ah, to clear it up, the only spoiler I know is about a certain type of weapon being used. Don't know anything about family business, but as a rule of thumb, if anyone is related in a trilogy and you want to present it as a twist, do it in ep 2. It is incredibly cheap and shallow to throw it in the last episode.

Also, if it's about Rey, then double-no, because it was established in TLJ that she's a "nobody". Whatever we may think about that revelation, it should stick for numerous reasons I am too lazy to list now.

Also also, who would honestly care at this point?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    All I'll say is if the rumor of Ben Solo's moniker being an amalgamation of skywalker and solo​ ends up being canon, then I'll be amazed.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Ok, so now that the double bladed red saber wielded by Rey spoiler is not a spoiler anymore, I can safely say it (or at least the implication that she may be sith) is a red herring. Either it's some sort of vision, or she is about to wreck some bad guys.

I also have a bad feeling about the size of the fleets. Rebels are tiny, Order is comically huge. Like, not even "this is going to be a hard one" huge, it's straight up no contest. That means there will be some core power once again, which needs to be shut down, depowering everything else.

Cool red laser though.

Also, Kylo vs. Rey dueling on a wreckage island on the angry water - nice callback to EP 3. See, this is what JJ does. He is not a rocket scientist, it's not a 200 IQ parallel to come up with, but it's just simply neat. Good if you like fan service, bad if you want to see anything innovative or shocking.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    Good if you like fan service, bad if you want to see anything innovative or shocking.
    not trying to set you off at all, but didn't you absolutely hate​ the last jedi because it was the opposite? totally shocking with almost zero fan service? just genuinely want to understand your POV on this.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Every fan theory for this next movie, if true, would firmly make this trilogy as bad as the prequels in my opinion. My hype for this movie is completely dead between the asshats after the last movie, the return of the emperor, and the retcon. I'm not down. I'm very frustrated with this series right now. At the end of force awakens and tlj I was happy to be seeing good modern star wars movies. Now I'm wishing we just never went back and left things to lie.

Maybe the mandalorian can be redemptive. That looks neat.