Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Movies (Spoilers)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I left enjoying it and really wanting to see a new movie with Rey/Finn/Poe... Overall, it was a good "remake" of RotJ.

But a lot of it is just such knee jerk anti-Episode VIII. Why would Snoke want to kill Rey, if shes important to the master manipulator? totally odd... Woulda been better to have them all face the new Supreme Leader of The First Order, Kylo Ren...

My personal ranking:

ESB > TLJ > RoTJ > RotS > The Mandalorian Pilot (Chapter1-3) > RO > TFA > Solo > ANH > TRoS > TPM > AotC

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I hope I'm not offending anyone by saying that my least favorite scenes were the ones with Carrie. The CGI/editing job with her footage was fucking terrible.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Empire
    New Hope
    Rogue One
    Return of the Jedi
    Rise of Skywalker
    Force Awakens
    Revenge of the Sith
    Solo
    Last Jedi
    Phantom Menace
    Christmas Special
    AOTC

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    the more i sit here and think about it... the more TRoS really upsets me... So Kylo isnt aware his Mom is a fully trained Jedi? if the hate for this is so deep why isn't Snoke dead-set and obsessed to destroy Leia too?

WTF.. i fucking hate that i am not trying to actively dislike the movie, but it just makes me so upset when i think about this... terrible...

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdglss View Post
    the more i sit here and think about it... the more TRoS really upsets me... So Kylo isnt aware his Mom is a fully trained Jedi? if the hate for this is so deep why isn't Snoke dead-set and obsessed to destroy Leia too?

WTF.. i fucking hate that i am not trying to actively dislike the movie, but it just makes me so upset when i think about this... terrible...
    That's my experience through friends who - despite my hedding calls - went and see it. Many of them thought that it was okay, then I brought up a few nonsense, lazy bullshit from the movie out of the too many, and they were all like "well... yeah, that is stupid". Obviously, for many people, it was just an "I'm bored, let's see what they're playing in the cinema" thing. They probably barely remember or care about the previous two movies. It's like as if I was watching some random Fast and Furious episode. Maybe fans of the series are getting bored with it, but all I'd see is cars, tits and explosions, so I'd be like meh, decent movie I guess.

This trilogy, but especially this last episode is one of the best examples of why fanfics should remain fanfic. Basically every fanfic revolves around some cool or at least interesting idea, without any capacity of actually being able to fully fledge out a story. Having youngsters battle for good and evil, Luke throwing the lightsaber or Palpatine returning are all ideas which scale from moderately interesting to pretty cool. It's just like every creative portion of these movies ended after these sentences, and they thought the rest will just come naturally. In the case of a trilogy, this lazy-ass approach just kept piling on and on and on... TFA could get away a lot of bullshit, because it was a clean state. ROS had to be a really tight movie, instead it just doubled down on a 10 year old's fantasy.

I'm also sick and tired of the same old smartass arguments, like that the OT was not planned out either, Bobba Fett is like Phasma, etc. Apples and oranges. No one even knew there would be a second movie at the time of ANH, and Boba Fett did not appear at every single (if any) promotional interview, talking about how the next movie will really flesh his character out and he is so excited. Also, even if some excuses are sound, how the fuck can you defend a sequel trilogy being dogshit by pointing out that one which was made from a smaller budget 40 years ago had its problems as well? Well duhhh.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Here are my rankings (that noone cares about haha):

ESB
    ROTJ
    ANH
    Rogue One
    Revenge of the Sith
    TFA
    TPM
    RoS
    Solo
    TLJ
    AotC

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanmcfly View Post
    Empire
    New Hope
    Rogue One
    Return of the Jedi
    Rise of Skywalker
    Force Awakens
    Revenge of the Sith
    Solo
    Last Jedi
    Phantom Menace
    Christmas Special
    AOTC
    If you're brave enough to put the Holiday Special in there, you should also add in the Ewok Adventure movie and its sequel. Actually, everyone should.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    The Christmas Special at least did Boba Fett more proud than Attack of the Clones...

My ranking:

Empire Strikes Back
    A New Hope
    The Force Awakens
    Return of the Jedi
    Solo
    Rise of Skywalker
    Rogue One
    Last Jedi
    Phantom Menace
    Revenge of the Sith
    Christmas Special
    Ewok Adventure
    Battle of Endor
    Attack of the Clones

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Sounds like a better story than what we got, but I dont think it is still enough to save whatever the fuck this trilogy was.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Some cool things in there, but ultimately not satisfying as well. Would have loved for Luke to haunt Kylo though and Rey fighting the Knights of Ren would have been cool aswell. Heck, although I liked the concept of Phasma when she was first revealed, they should have had the Knights introduced in Force Awakens instead of her.

JJ's Kylo redemption still feels more right than to just have him "extinguished" although I prefer not having Palpatine as a full blown villain. Kylo killing Rey's parents is stupid though and so is a Kylo/Vader fight. Nah, still a messy story outline as a whole.... there is no doubt that this trilogy was nearly impossible to be saved without a cohesive outline to begin with.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    The epissing contest somehow managed to continue.

The treverow script is clearly absolutely better. A proper ending to this trilogy but perhaps not the trilogy of trilogies.

It's one gaping flaw is that it has some other shadowy figure pulling the strings, but at least it doesn't bring palpatine back from the dead. Would have been much happier. JJ is a hack

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    This been posted yet? Shit is hilarious.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Watching the destruction of the Death Star again:

How exactly did a large section of it land on the planet and remain intact?

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post

Not to mention the catastrophic damage to the planet that would be caused by that piece landing on the surface!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SM Rollinger View Post
    Not to mention the catastrophic damage to the planet that would be caused by that piece landing on the surface!
    Like this?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Just one of the many absurdities we were expected to stomach/ignore while watching this hot mess.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    If we're really getting into specifics here, the original explosion is also bullshit. Shockwaves don't work like that in space. It'd be a sphere, not a disc.

A Death Star is nowhere near the mass of our moon. That said, the damage would still be significant.

Our moon is about 3475 km in diameter. If that hits us, you're probably looking at a total extinction event.
    Chicxulub was somewhere between 11-81 km across, and that really fucked us up. That caused massive atmospheric change, practically global environmental chaos, enough to wipe out many major species.
    Death Star 2 is 160 km across, so if a large chunk of that fell onto a planet (speed of object not withstanding), I think we can safely say it'd be similar to Chicxulub.

Gravity is also necessary to make bombs drop. This franchise isn't particularly great when it comes to the 'science' part of 'science fiction'.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Also palpatine is thrown down an enormous chasm just moments before that happens.

Comes back in this one because "evil is everywhere" or some bullshit because fuck you for wondering. Then they kill him again why would he stay dead this time? Why would anybody stay dead?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    If we're really getting into specifics here, the original explosion is also bullshit. Shockwaves don't work like that in space. It'd be a sphere, not a disc.

A Death Star is nowhere near the mass of our moon. That said, the damage would still be significant.

Our moon is about 3475 km in diameter. If that hits us, you're probably looking at a total extinction event.
    Chicxulub was somewhere between 11-81 km across, and that really fucked us up. That caused massive atmospheric change, practically global environmental chaos, enough to wipe out many major species.
    Death Star 2 is 160 km across, so if a large chunk of that fell onto a planet (speed of object not withstanding), I think we can safely say it'd be similar to Chicxulub.

Gravity is also necessary to make bombs drop. This franchise isn't particularly great when it comes to the 'science' part of 'science fiction'.
    How about all the radioactive shit on Death Star 2? And again, how is part of it still intact? Wouldn't it have already been destroyed prior to hitting the planet? Wouldn't it have burned up in the planet's atmosphere? Wouldn't the impact of smashing into the planet destroyed whatever was left? Particularly Palpatine's throne?

Someone needs to contact Myth Busters.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    These movies have space wizards and witches with laser swords.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    These movies have space wizards and witches with laser swords.
    Fantasy elements should not be used as a panic button for covering up lazyness. I really like the bombing scene in TLJ. Even besides the issue of gravity, it bleeds from a hundred wounds. But it gave us something new (even if it's stupid), it looked pretty fucking cool, and it had an emotional element which affected two of our protagonists. Sure, I wish the writer(s) of that scene made it a bit easier to suspend my disbelief, because the more I think about those ships and the whole strategy of the fleet, the less sense it makes, but eh, it was still fun.

This Deathstar fuckery on the other hand... Let's begin with the difference between believing that somehow, some special bombs can be used in space for carpet bombing with huge ass chunks of the Deathstar surviving an incident where we literally (and this is one of the few cases when literally means LITERALLY) see it evaporated. No, "it's just fantasy and magic lmao chill xdd" don't cut it. You guys are aware that this was not a Monty Python bit, right? 'Cuz I can see how it would fit in the show:
    - So, how can be a wreckage of the Deathstar there?
    - See it for yourself!
    - I can see it, but how is this possible. It blown to little pieces in front of my very eyes.
    - Yeah. So? *cue in laugh track*

Palpatine could have based his headquarters ANYWHERE. Secret tunnel, abandoned space-ship graveyard, impenetrable and unseeable force bubble, who cares. But no, the stupid idiots who sleep in their SW blankets(tm), sip their morning Kylo Ren(tm) coffee in the morning from their Yoda(tm) mugs, and attend every fan convention with hygiene lacking just as much as the creativity in ROS, NEED to see the Deathstar. This is what these idiots recognize. Leia, Lando, Luke, Palpatine, Deathstar, Vader, Imperial March, boom, the rest of the movie could be a blank screen and they would leave a positive review. It's lazy, it's exploiting, it's shameless AND it's dumb. Bombing in space is just dumb. Dumb can be fine, or even encouraged. This, however? Everything that DS wreckage represents is just sad.

Hollywood, Disney, Kathleen and JJ does not need any excuses from us common people for atrocities like this.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Some level of suspension of disbelief is necessary to enjoy any movie, let alone science fiction movies. Also, the moon in that simulation video was traveling at an insane rate of speed like it was shot/launched at the Earth (rather than being pulled toward it by gravity), which is the main reason for the extinction level event that takes place in the aftermath of the collision.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Why does an ancient sith macguffin have a mechanism which lines up perfectly with the spherical area of the wreckage of a recently destroyed battle station

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volband View Post
    I really like the bombing scene in TLJ.
    Did the "your mum" joke come before or after this part? I don't remember.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Why does an ancient sith macguffin have a mechanism which lines up perfectly with the spherical area of the wreckage of a recently destroyed battle station
    I assume it was added at some point after the Death Star was destroyed? That seems like a logical enough explanation for me.

This next part is not directed to the quote or user above, just a general comment... I feel like more and more these days people can't just enjoy a movie for what it is. I totally get picking apart glaring issues with a move, but overall it is just a fun loud Star Wars movie. The sequel trilogy visually was amazing, the acting was great, there were some pretty strong story points, but overall it was probably the worst of the three trilogies. Even with that being said... it is just a movie and I didn't want my time or money back after seeing it.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckaroo View Post
    there were some pretty strong story points

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    the part of the bomber ships where the bombs are stored have gravity (hence Page falling down in the ship). the bombs are stacked on top of each other, so the weight of the ones at the top would push down the ones below, thus giving them enough momentum to fall down to their targets. and that's also assuming there isn't some kind of mechanism to push them down and out of the ship. yeah, there's no gravity in space, but once something has momentum (whether or not it's achieved in an environment with gravity or not), the only thing in space that can stop it is a collision or some other opposing force.

why are people so hung up on this and so quick to make it a condemnation of last jedi?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    So, overall, which was worse, the prequel or sequel trilogy?

I'm going with prequel trilogy. The romance between Anakin and Queen/Senator Padame tips the scales, plus I rather enjoyed TFA and TLJ.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Seriously I felt that TFA set up some decent story... the son of Han and Leia being sent off to train with Luke, the strain if had on their marriage, Ben being seduced by the dark side, the Knights of Ren, the struggle he felt between the light and dark, killing his father and how he dealt with that... yes it went off the rails, but I thought it started pretty strong.