Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19

Thread: Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Spoilers

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GulDukat View Post
    Terrible writing in R1? Can you be specific? I thought the writing was rather good, especially for a SW movie. What sci-fi movie would you say has good writing, for comparison?

On another note, I still say TLJ was an excellent, well made film and hand's down the best of the sequel trilogy.
    The beginning was very rushed. It was the definition of getting through the notions. The bigger flaw, however, was the lack of team building. The team lacked chemistry and comradeship. This was especially baffling, when they were forced into arguments, which fell flat due to this. Like when Jyn was being told off after the failed mission. I can't remember the exact details now, I know I have a few posts somewhere where I explained this in detail, but I still remember how weird it was. They tried to pull off a scene, where someone is arguing with his fellow comrade, or even friend, but we have seen no such relationships blossoming, because everyone was just running from scene to scene.

I know we can't expect a build-up like we had in Dirty Dozen, but you really need some feel-good, down to earth scenes between the characters, where they can bond. So when they argue or eventually die, it feels so much more impactful.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Daisy Ridley reveals that the rumored theory before the movie dropped was in fact true.

Rey was originally a Kenobi, but changed last minute to be a Palpatine.

Mentioned
    455 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Daisy Ridley reveals that the rumored theory before the movie dropped was in fact true.

Rey was originally a Kenobi, but changed last minute to be a Palpatine.
    both of those choices are stupid but her being a kenobi would have at least been less horrible.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    both of those choices are stupid but her being a kenobi would have at least been less horrible.
    I don't know. I actually think having her be the descendant of the villain is more interesting and (slightly) less predictable. They just handled it in a really clunky manner. It explained why she was drawn to the dark side of the Force when Luke was training her during her weekend-long Jedi training excursion. It was painfully obvious they were figuring this whole trilogy out as they went along, though. Just flying by the seat of their pants with a multi-billion-dollar franchise. It's absolutely dumbfounding that they didn't have the overall story arc even loosely planned out prior to the first movie hitting theaters. I hope they learned some valuable lessons, but they made their money anyway, so maybe not. Having said all that, they were still better than the prequels.

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    Holy shit. They are both so bad. And you can see the badness of it in decision making...

They are *actually shooting the movie* and JJ doesn't know who her fucking parents are all he knows is that it's gotta be secretly some other character that we know for the sake of having the twist. Not only was it not built fro the start is never meant to mean anything at all.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    If Rey had actually turned to the dark side and Kylo Ren turned to the light and then they killed each other and restored balance to the force, that would have been kind of cool and unexpected.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Breaking: Things could have been different!

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I saw one post about how the reveal was done while Adam Driver was masked because they still didn't know even then so it was a ADR line added in later. Sure it's a great story like the one about what David Prowse said one set vs. what was recorded later but not nearly as iconic.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Had a dream about this movie as I was scrolling through some production art work earlier this week and I really really hate the fact that the Knights of Ren were so underused in these movies. Why not have them be a steady antagonist or loyal to Palpatine and axe the Sith Troopers etc. or incorporate them more into the story of the movie where Rey accidently kills one of them in the desert and not Chewie? Lots of possibilities with those imho pretty cool characters that could have given the movie a more cohesive feel, a grittier atmosphere and most importantly tighten things up with less characters.