Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Star Wars: The Movies (Spoilers)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak33 View Post
    This wouldn't surprise me, especially with their telepathy like Luke and Leia had.
    it would surprise me considering the age gap of the characters.
    The movie takes place 30 years after the battle of Endor. Rey was born 11 years after Endor making her 19 years old. However, Ben, or Kylo Ren was born 0-1 years after Endor making him either 29 or 30.

[Sources of information: The book: The Force Awakens: The Visual Dictionary has details about Rey's age, 19, while I found Kylo Ren's age while researching through Wookieepedia (as unreliable as that sounds it fits with the appearance of the actor and timeline of the movie, in relation to when Han and Leia met... etc...)]

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    My prediction. As new supreme leader, Ben Solo will continue Snoke’s legacy of Imperial leisure attire. General Hux will fall in line as well. Concept art…

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Channard View Post
    My prediction. As new supreme leader, Ben Solo will continue Snoke’s legacy of Imperial leisure attire. General Hux will fall in line as well. Concept art…
    then in the biggest crossover in history, JJ Abrams brings two Starry universes together when Picard and Riker show up to join in the fun

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lt. Randazzo View Post
    It's still weird for me thinking about the head of Lucasfilm even being on a contract to begin with given how it was with George before Disney, you just always had that constant with him being there. Now since the company isn't independent anymore i guess that position can be a revolving door of sorts after some time and contracts expire.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Of the four SW films under her reign, three seem to be okay with general audiences. Audience scores on Rotten Tomatoes: TFA 87% Rogue One 87% and Solo 64%, the only film that seems to be a flop with fans is TLJ at 45%. That is more attributable to the incoherent narrative and directionless storytelling issues that fall between Abrams and Johnson, not much to do with K.K.

And Bob Iger is correct, these movies were “too much, too fast.” Rushed production doesn't always yield the best results. Very gentlemanly of him to openly shoulder the blame on this.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Honestly after everything that's happened, it's hard to give a shit about these movies any more. It's a net loss. Should have stopped after the 80s

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    If you look hard enough at that photo, you can see that Poe is only really hugging Finn so SLASH SLASH SLASH

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I feel the year and a half between the last movie (solo) and this will do everyone, including the film, some good. I've liked all the new ones so far and i'm looking forward to this one...though i do hope i can say i enjoy this one online without a million voices screaming in pain "YOUR WRONG SJW TRASH!" that got real old.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Really surprised how quickly they will release this movie after wrapping it up just now. The machinery must be really rolling on steam at all times to get the score and effects as well as everything else in post production done.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    After watching that Always trailer cut, it struck me with this distinct vibe that Rey is essentially Leia, if Luke and her had switched places, and Kenobi had trained her on Tatooine instead of Luke. Which easily could have happened, if Bail Organa hadn't always wanted a girl.

After watching the last season of Rebels, and how it flirted with time travel and alternate dimensions, it wouldn't entirely shock me if they tried to go for some version of that in IX. It would probably be too much for the average viewer since it would involve concepts never included in the films before, and a lot of people would just criticize it for jumping the shark (which it very well could if not executed correctly), BUT if Rey was in fact a "time displaced or alternate Leia", it would explain her OP'ness, bring a whole new level to "no, there is another", it would explain the unsure familiarity of the hug in XII, it would explain the similar but off'ness a planet like Jakku and some of the other same but different criticisms of the sequel trilogy. It would also end up being an even bigger swan song for the Leia character the legacy of Fisher, while still leaving the Star Wars universe with a "new" unique and powerful Rey character.

I'm not saying it will or even should happen, but an interesting concept to me nonetheless.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I like that idea, i REALLY like that idea. The only issue would be that they'd be no moment between Rey and Leia which would be really important. That and it might be just a little TOO out there for most standard film goers.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

THE EMPEROR - Ian McDiarmid showed up after the first viewing of the teaser and had them play it again.

Holy. Shit.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Trailer really got me going but I'm not sure how I like the Emperor coming back, I like the smaller scale conflict between Rey and Kylo. I hope it's not just an EP VIII retcon fest, but i get the impression it might be.

It's just JJ Abrams once again doing a series of shallow twists and coincidences... Great
    Last edited by Wretchedest; 04-12-2019 at 12:49 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    If they tell me something like Snoke was always a host body for the Emperor's spirit, and that he too was capable of existing beyond death like Obi-Wan, Yoda, et. al,... I couldn't be happier. Would actually give Snoke the Joke some fucking purpose.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Oh they're going to. Really that's probably the best Abrams can do is hack together some bullshit like that.

Even the symbolic gestures from episode 8... The lightsaber is back. The mask is back... Fuck this

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    lol, k

I'm not going to get into it again, because I've discussed my various issues with Episode VIII and VII elsewhere, here, and at great length. It's gotten to the point where bickering about the quality of the films and one filmmaker's vision versus another's actually soured me on the whole SW experience, and I generally refuse to take part in it anymore.

You take one guy's plan, have another guy fart all over it, and then give it back to the first guy, the damage is done. This whole trilogy is going to be looked on as an ugly unfocused mess, and we can thank both directors and the fanbase for that.

At this point all I'm expecting is a fun little romp, nothing more. Neither 7 or 8 lived up to my expectations fully. But hey, Ian McDiarmid's Palpatine under the hands of a director who isn't Lucas for the first time since ROTJ is kind of exciting to me.

As long as it captures the imaginations of kids, and they enjoy it, who gives a shit really?

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    I have goosebumps.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    And we'll get to see Carrie Fisher, one last time.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    The Nostalgia is just strip mined. And to say that Johnson "tripped over the vision" there was no vision. That's their biggest mistake, they didn't plot all three in advance, and instead went one at a time. Abrams, like in lost handed off some shitty mysteries to solve, and Johnson knew that it wasn't about that.

But now this Franchise at least THIS trilogy is about that bickering. Because now that Abrams has it back he has to go and retcon the last one instead of moving forward and doing something different. Now he's got to squeeze on this character that completely doesn't fit.

Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    First ever SW teaser that didn't really hype me up. I am happy however that we finally see a Tie Interceptor. Give me some in space too, and I am thumbs upping the movie right now.

The biggest goosebump is probably the title, and you betcha people are going to overanalyse it to shits. Is it Kylo? Is it Luke? Is Rey a Skywalker now? Is it someone else? Is it a red herring?

btw how on earth can they keep such things as a secret?? paparazzis should have seen him coming in and out of a Diesney lot or something.
    Last edited by Volband; 04-12-2019 at 02:14 PM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    I'd encourage everyone queuing up their Abrams vs. Johnson hot takes to read this liveblog of the panel, and especially focus on the quote below - https://io9.gizmodo.com/io9s-star-wa...-he-1833998744

Abrams: “I was so grateful to Rian Johnson for so many things he did, but the greatest thing was casting Kelly Marie.”
    Yeah, that sounds like someone who has to fix things. /sarcasim

Remember a few facts - Colin Trevorrow was the director of this movie until he wasn't because he couldn't wrap his head around the plot and story. Abrams was not brought back to retcon anything Rian Johnson did; he was brought back in because they needed someone familiar with the overall plot and because Rian Johnson was and is still developing other Star Wars stories. Period. The end.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    I'll probably watch this movie and enjoy it about as much I enjoyed the last two, but then I think I'm pretty much ready to close up shop on the whole Star Wars franchise from here on out.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    I'd encourage everyone queuing up their Abrams vs. Johnson hot takes to read this liveblog of the panel, and especially focus on the quote below - https://io9.gizmodo.com/io9s-star-wa...-he-1833998744

Yeah, that sounds like someone who has to fix things. /sarcasim

Remember a few facts - Colin Trevorrow was the director of this movie until he wasn't because he couldn't wrap his head around the plot and story. Abrams was not brought back to retcon anything Rian Johnson did; he was brought back in because they needed someone familiar with the overall plot and because Rian Johnson was and is still developing other Star Wars stories. Period. The end.
    I watched the panel live. Sure. Of course Abrams paid so lip service to it. Very briefly, one of the only mentions of the previous film at all. But in the end he's presenting a film that at least looks a lot like, it is undermining a lot of the messaging and ideas. Some of this is cut and dry. Those symbols we're destroyed I the last movie as part of a gesture. They're back in this movie. That's a choice someone made along the line that they didn't have to, and those choices come off like the described pissing match.