Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: All Killer, No Filler - The Album Thread

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    @Prettybrokenspiral I was considering posting that one... I fucking love that album.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    @Prettybrokenspiral I was considering posting that one... I fucking love that album.
    @Jinsai Me too (obviously, lol)

I started in order with The Scream and Joining Hands. Neither album blew me away (at the time) and I didn't see what all the fuss was about. Kaleidoscope I liked immediately and have only grown to appreciate more with time. But it was Juju that made me stand up and sing the praises of this band. Everything after that -- even The Rapture -- I love as well. I wish they'd just reunite already..

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    @Jinsai Me too (obviously, lol)

I started in order with The Scream and Joining Hands. Neither album blew me away (at the time) and I didn't see what all the fuss was about. Kaleidoscope I liked immediately and have only grown to appreciate more with time. But it was Juju that made me stand up and sing the praises of this band. Everything after that -- even The Rapture -- I love as well. I wish they'd just reunite already..
    You had a strange introduction! Most people being retroactively introduced to SatB to The Scream would walk away from a modern appreciation. Good on you for noticing how awesome they actually are. I still recommend Kaleidoscope as the best entry-point for people unfamiliar, but who knows... who are you dealing with, etc.

But Kaleidoscope vs Juju? that's a hard call

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Sufjan Stevens- Carrie and Lowell. I didn't see anyone who posted it. The reason why I posted it because its brilliant and the live version of the album came out a couple of days ago and it just made every song more detailed and more interesting. I think the live album deserves to be in this thread too.
    Last edited by Rdm; 06-12-2017 at 02:13 AM.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Hyæna needs more love. Not their best - I too would give that to Juju, but so much good stuff on that one too. My second fave of theirs.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

This record is beautiful. Just finished listening to it, and I'd forgotten how every song is filled with so much heavy emotion and creativity. There's not a minute wasted on it. Songs like Waitin' for a Superman, The Spark That Bled and Feeling Yourself Disintegrate are proof that The Soft Bulletin is an absolute classic. Flaming Lips at their utmost best.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    All Killer, No Filler

Thanks to the internet i rarely find albums i'll listen to in full over and over again (i usually just give them a couple of listens on before selecting my favorite songs to transfer to my Phone) But there is one album in recent years that has bucked the trend...

TesseraacT : Polaris
    Just so.fucking.good from start to finish! Seriously very few albums ever make it to my phone in full, but this one is worth every second!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    ^^I'll double down on the TesseracT love.

TesseracT - Concealing Fate (EP)

There is no way for me to measure how many times I've listened to these six songs. From the opening note until the last, everything flows wonderfully while various themes - lyrically and musically - are called up and varied to create one cohesive piece of music. TesseracT's vocalist has amazing range and he uses every bit of it. This may be my favorite album of all time.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Angel has got to be one of the best opening songs ever. The way it gradually unfurls with Horace Andy's awesome vocals, transitioning into those distorted guitars is so eerie. Sound-wise, the record hasn't aged, and I love listen to it on headphones, there's so much detail to each song.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

"deeper and deeper," "bad girl," "rain," "secret garden" ... this flawless record was sorely underrated. madonna at her best.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

dead can dance - within the realm of a dying sun

i came to the realization recently that DCD are definitely one of my favorite bands. i can listen to them no matter what mood i'm in because their catalog is so diverse, and it's all breathtakingly beautiful. but this album, in particular, is just fucking perfect. i'm not sure what else to say about this one other than GO LISTEN TO IT.

favorite tracks - xavier, cantara

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haysey View Post
    All Killer, No Filler

Thanks to the internet i rarely find albums i'll listen to in full over and over again (i usually just give them a couple of listens on before selecting my favorite songs to transfer to my Phone) But there is one album in recent years that has bucked the trend...

TesseraacT : Polaris
    Just so.fucking.good from start to finish! Seriously very few albums ever make it to my phone in full, but this one is worth every second!
    I normally lurk because I am too lazy to login, but I checked this album out along with many others suggestions and wanted to tell you thank you. Tesseraact's Polaris was fantastic - it's like a hybrid of the best parts of Tool, Incubus, Faith No More and Linkin Park.

Now that I am logged in... These are absolutely All Killer, No Filler...

Faith No More - The Real Thing
    White Zombie - Astro-Creep 2000
    Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine
    Orgy - Candyass
    Filter - Crazy Eyes
    Thom Yorke - Eraser
    Type O Negative - Bloody Kisses
    Run the Jewels - RTJ2

To me though, what's top of the list, the definition of what the title of this topic is all about...

Prodigy - Fat of the Land

Fat of the Land is not my favorite album, but if I ever wanted to go on a drug-filled rampage through a major city and not care about tomorrow - this would be the soundtrack. This album just is go-go-go, takes a much needed breather with Climbatize, then picks right back and ready to cycle back to track 1 and do it all over again.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    This is fairly recent...

SUMAC's 2016 release What One Becomes

Never was much into ISIS or Old Man Gloom but this shit right here....totally up my alley. So abrasive, visceral, crushing, tight and thoughtful (lyrically). It's a short and wonderfully hard trip into so many metal styles. It's totally atmospheric. When I play this album in my car on drives it kinda mellows me out which is ironic given how loud the band is and the material sounds. I wish I could ramble and prattle on about this album like I did in other posts I made here but I'm at a loss for words. Just give it a try if you're a metal fan.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by somewhatdamaged View Post
    I normally lurk because I am too lazy to login, but I checked this album out along with many others suggestions and wanted to tell you thank you. Tesseraact's Polaris was fantastic - it's like a hybrid of the best parts of Tool, Incubus, Faith No More and Linkin Park.
    Your welcome dude I'm always happy to help introduce people to new music.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)

cursive - domestica

while most people would point to "the ugly organ" as cursive's pinnacle (and i agree that it's a fantastic album), this is their crowning achievement in my eyes. a slightly more dramatized version of the story of tim kasher's real life divorce, the emotions that come through in all of these songs are so visceral, not to mention how beautifully crushing the music is. there's an imperfection present in the songs, despite (or included in?) the fantastic production by mike & aj mogis, that makes them all the more affecting. this is the kind of album you scream along to in your car between heaving sighs, even when you're not going through a breakup.

favorite tracks - the casualty, the martyr, the night i lose the will to fight

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Something different...

Soundtrack to the 1997 Film, Lost Highway.

I, like most people here, had this marvelous OST pretty much shape their music preferences. My fandom for many bands, styles and music appreciation stems from this record. It may be a mix matched compilation of various 1990's alt rock and other outings but it is downright surreal. The fantastic "The Perfect Drug" and creepy "Apple of Sodom" are enough to sing of this album's praises. This album helped expose me to David Bowie ("I'm Deranged"), Rammstein "Heirate Mich"), Angelo Badalamenti and The Smashing Pumpkins ("Eye") way back in late 2006 (Yes I know that's 9 years too late after its release but better late than never, right?). The music segues, tracklist flow and the crescendo of sound to match the dark imagery in the artwork insert made me much more adventurous in roads less travelled in the music world. Fantastic album and I would not change a damned thing about it.

I talk about driving with music a lot but this OST is PERFECT for dark night drives with nothing but your headlights and pavement around.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    THE PRODIGY
    THE FAT OF THE LAND

My favorite album of all time from my favorite group of all time. Yes, #1 for me. There's not much to say. It contains 10 solid tracks crafted to get your adrenaline pumping. Finely tuned bassbin bombers mixing up the darker, harder edge of electronic music with elements of hip hop and punk rock. These tracks are meant to be played loud and heard live. This is just before the loudness war took over. So the sound design is smooth yet powerful without needing to brickwall the mix. Every element, every layer is present. The Prodigy at their finest. It also happens to be turning 20 years old this summer. This era also had some awesome b-sides, such as "Molotov Bitch," "The Trick," and "One Man Army" featuring Mr. Tom Morello of Rage Against The Machine.
    This weekend, technically June 30th/July 1st depending on your country, marked the 20th anniversary of The Fat Of The Land. Been on rotation in honor of the occasion.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

This is a rap album, that sounds like two dudes living in the world of Blade Runner writing about their struggles. Plus it features some of my favorite rap lyrics of all time:

"Life's ill, sometimes life might kill..."

"Hellbent, hell went through changes, emotions, inner thoughts and rages / relieved and released on pages / my life in its cycles of stages / seen through descriptions in nature..."

"Tyring to escape out of hellfires and lakes / brain on another plane gliding through acid rain / that's stress trying to master pain / spit words not to hurt but to bash your brain..."

"I lost my first wish, but remember every detail of my first kiss..."

"While you playing, death is what happens / I found the passion in aerosol cans and hands clappin', backspins, microphones and cats rappin'..."

"You were a 'stillborn'-baby: mother didn't want you, but you were still born / boy meets world, of course his pops is gone / what you figure? the chalky outline on the ground is a father figure?"

I could go on and on...

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post

This is a rap album, that sounds like two dudes living in the world of Blade Runner writing about their struggles. Plus it features some of my favorite rap lyrics of all time:

"Hellbent, hell went through changes, emotions, inner thoughts and rages / relieved and released on pages / my life in its cycles of stages / seen through descriptions in nature..."

"Tyring to escape out of hellfires and lakes / brain on another plane gliding through acid rain / that's stress trying to master pain / spit words not to hurt but to bash your brain..."

"While you playing, death is what happens / I found the passion in aerosol cans and hands clappin', backspins, microphones and cats rappin'..."

"You were a 'stillborn'-baby: mother didn't want you, but you were still born / boy meets world, of course his pops is gone / what you figure? the chalky outline on the ground is a father figure?"

I could go on and on...
    Incredible album, but you failed to mention one of the main ingredients that makes it such a classic: El-P's production. There's a reason nothing these guys have released since has come even close to as good as their debut.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I wish there was a "I sorta agree" button... Cold Vein is just classic on every level.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post

I could go on and on...
    I loved Fantastic Damage and it's sister album Bazooka Tooth too, so damn much.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Cold Vein is basically perfect. It's also the exact soundtrack for walking through the snow in the freezing cold/on the train on your way to work or school in New York City in the winter.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    you failed to mention one of the main ingredients that makes it such a classic: El-P's production.
    yeah, but since the production is usually the first thing thats mentioned when talking about this album I thought I'd focus on the lyrics this time.

But I agree: EL-P outdid himself on this one! His own debut album from a year later is equally great from a production standpoint and with clocking in at almost 90 minutes with lots of beat changes, instrumentals and interludes it's a monster. It's like the rap version of The Fragile.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)

do yourself a favor, and turn this on right now, if you haven't heard it.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Isis - Panopticon

Isis - Wavering Radiant