Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Mirror - Charlie Brooker

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Wow. Like not the usual "wow", but WOW. :-) Watched S01E01 yesterday and (accidentally) S01E03 today and it will be hard to not immediately watch another one. But this deserves some time to sink in, to let mind work on it in the background for a while.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    My co-worker told me about this show. I'll definitely have to check it out!

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    yeah, this is easily one of my favorite tv shows ever. Beyond excited for the next season

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    My co-worker told me about this show. I'll definitely have to check it out!
    Oh man, i think you will love it.
    I would describe it as basically a contemporary tech-centric Twilight Zone.
    It's also wildly smart and imaginative, superbly well written, directed and acted, and can be pretty fucking scary, especially since a lot of the stories hit SO close to home.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I literally just started watching this show this week. After watching the first 3 episodes, I stopped. I knew my girl would dig it. So this weekend I started it over with her and we watched it all. We both love it!

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I'm on episode two of the new season, and I'm liking it, but it's hard not to hold it up to the standard that is the BBC run. I'm going to keep trying not to do that...

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    San Junipero and Shut Up and Dance are brilliant. Possibly my favourite episodes of the entire series.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I thought the first episode of the new run was a STUNNING commentary on social media.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Watched S01E02 yesterday and still thinking about that (clue: "singing contest"), impressive.

And I have whole seasons 2 and 3 in store, you jealous? :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This show is just better and better with successive seasons and episodes. Season 3 opener was superb! I'm just now into the 2nd episode. Nothing disappoints!

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Wait til you get to San Junipero...

Bring tissues.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    It's really weird, but I haven't been able to get myself to watch episode 4 yet... it's not from lack of interest, it's just that Shut Up and Dance was so fucking insane that I felt like I needed a break. That's the darkest shit ever.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    It's really weird, but I haven't been able to get myself to watch episode 4 yet... it's not from lack of interest, it's just that Shut Up and Dance was so fucking insane that I felt like I needed a break. That's the darkest shit ever.
    I have to agree with this. I tried to follow up with Episode 4 last night after Shut Up and Dance and it just fell flat. I didn't finish it.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I wasn’t that crazy about the first two seasons, save a couple of episodes that I really enjoyed. I wasn’t going to even bother with s3 but my sister has been absolutely raving about how great it is so I decided to give it a shot. Only watched episode one so far but I really, really enjoyed it. I hope the rest of the season is just as good.

As expected, it was super dark. I thought about watching one the day after I watched that first one but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. I think I need to space these episodes a few days apart because it’s just too much emotionally without a break.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Episode 6 was like its own movie. I think some of these could have been extended to 90 minutes and been their own movies. Perhaps the future of Black Mirror could be a film series along with seasons with the usual 45-60 min episodes. Kinda like Netflix & Black Mirror Presents or something. That video game testing episode could have been extended and been a great movie.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Episode 6 was like its own movie. I think some of these could have been extended to 90 minutes and been their own movies. Perhaps the future of Black Mirror could be a film series along with seasons with the usual 45-60 min episodes. Kinda like Netflix & Black Mirror Presents or something. That video game testing episode could have been extended and been a great movie.
    thats what certain episodes of the first two seasons felt like.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    That last episode was 90 minutes. My opinion, the variable episode length was one of the key reasons why season 3 was so damn good. Nothing felt stretched or stuffed, each one stands alone perfectly.

I'd say that it resulted in what's essentially a collection of films, except the format maybe gives more freedom than cinema, as they don't have to adhere to a ~90-minute minimum.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I've made it through 4 episodes so far. I think season 3 has been the best one so far. The only episode that fell a little flat, but only in comparison to the others, was the second one. Episodes 3 and 4 though.. wow..
    I can't find the link, but there was an interview with Charlie Brooker (look up his Weekly Wipe, Games Wipe and year in reviews..) where he talked about how the reason they are not movies is there is too much red tape and people's expectations involved. Channel 4 and Netflix pretty much let them do what they want from 40 - 90 minutes, with less involvement from multiple parties, and really that is why it shines. Let it be what it is!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Watched the "white Christmas" special on Saturday, shit, this thing is intense and overdose should be avoided. :-) And I have whole season 3 in store, yay!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Anybody else feel like the second episode of the new season was the worst episode of the series? I liked the ending a lot, but the hour leading up to it was pretty weak. And the main character had to be one of the most irritating characters in television history. I didn't love the first episode either to be honest. I hear 3 is great though.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    I don't get all the hate for episode 2. I watched it on Saturday and thought it was awesome. Even better than episode one, which I really enjoyed. It did, however, put me in a terrible mood afterward for a little while. Like, after I was done I genuinely needed a hug. It affected me really, really badly. Which is a testament to the show, but damn. I'm almost dreading watching the next one. I hear three and four are brutal.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theruiner View Post
    I don't get all the hate for episode 2. I watched it on Saturday and thought it was awesome. Even better than episode one, which I really enjoyed. It did, however, put me in a terrible mood afterward for a little while. Like, after I was done I genuinely needed a hug. It affected me really, really badly. Which is a testament to the show, but damn. I'm almost dreading watching the next one. I hear three and four are brutal.
    If one wants to say "Playtest" is the least successful of this season, sure. However, I also don't get the hate. I thought it explored some interesting space about Gen Y/Millennial men and the need to face reality, albeit through a subversion/usage of horror/VR tropes.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I preferred Playtest over the first episode.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    S03.E03 was genuinely amazing and the music they chose to close out the episode was perfect.

Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archive_Reports View Post
    S03.E03 was genuinely amazing and the music they chose to close out the episode was perfect.
    Oh my god, the last 30 seconds of that episode was absolutely gut-wrenching.

Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imail724 View Post
    Anybody else feel like the second episode of the new season was the worst episode of the series?
    D=

Playtest was awesome! And the majority of what made it awesome other than the plot itself was the acting of the main character. I thought he was really great and did an awesome job in the role.

Black Mirror season 3 ranked, imo:

1. Shut Up and Dance
    2. Playtest
    3. San Junipero
    4. Hated in the Nation
    5. Nosedive
    6. Men Against Fire

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Seaward View Post
    D=

Playtest was awesome! And the majority of what made it awesome other than the plot itself was the acting of the main character. I thought he was really great and did an awesome job in the role.
    I thought the actor came across as trying way to hard to be "real" and that just made him seem so much more fake IMO

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Just watched Men Against Fire and was slightly dissapointed with the ending but I would watch the shit out of it if it were it's own show. Definately wish the episodes were longer sometimes

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I thought Playtest was fucking incredible! It actually, really scared me and i think it would have made a great full length horror movie.

The only one that didn't impress me was the final one, Hated in the Nation.