Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Not The Actual Events - Physical Edition variations

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Got mine today!! Just took a photo with all together.

The purple credits card does have a VERY faint NIN logo on the back, can barely even see it in good lighting, at least with my kitchen lights anyway.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I really dig mine, kind glad my credits aren't landscape, but disappointed my credits card shows no sign of halo 29. I've looked "so hard... so long..." but it's not on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanLoser View Post
    Mine looks the same way. I was kind of surprised (and a little disappointed, but my other cards were pretty awesome looking, so whatever).

I took pictures however:
    http://thegentlemanloser.tumblr.com/...ine-inch-nails

All and all, I got a pretty good selection of card variants. The only thing I would change would be to get the white-text-on-blue title card and the blue-text-on-red She's Gone lyrics. Hell, anyone want to trade me for them, give me a PM. Though I doubt anyone would actually want the versions of them I have.

By the way, I put the entire thing in that frame. Cheap grocery store frame, but it works. And you can clean the cards off pretty well with paper towels.
    I'd prob trade she's gone away cards with you if we're ever around each other. You get to the twin cities much? I see your in Madison. My brother went to school there and his family in law is in Oshkosh.

https://goo.gl/photos/PE6eqdCnrkMjPFiR8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    http://eversonpoe.tumblr.com/post/157929263233

there's my whole set of pictures (which my wife patiently took while i carefully opened and inspected everything with rubber gloves). of course we listened to the EP (again) while going through the process. it was really fun.

of note:
    - i could not see the NIN logo or halo designation anywhere, but it's possible it might be there in better lighting
    - i got an extra "the idea of you" page...which is pretty freakin' cool
    - i think this is one of the coolest ideas to accompany music that i've seen in a while, and i can't wait to get frames

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Every time I see this one

I want to put on a pair of these

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    My component came in today. It had a sticker that said "do not open this will make a mess". My dad insisted to open it. Fuck it, why not. I thought nah, it's probably a gimmick. Nope. No gimmick. Whatever the black envelope is/was made of got all over our hands and kitchen counter.

I really have no words to describe what I think of this 'physical component' but what the fuck?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Please forgive the unartistic display, but here are my NTAE cards:

The back of the credits card has the NIN HALO TWENTYNINE, but it's nearly impossible to discern:

I'm very pleased with the overall set, but I'm not into the Red "She's Gone" card (it's so hard on my eyes).

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Working on putting up some 1600 dpi scans of two different sets, but my scanner is slow and kind of shitty...

Quote Originally Posted by xolotl View Post
    I decided to put together a simple webpage to collate the various versions of all these things, and I've got it up here for the time being:

http://apocalyptech.com/ntae/

I'm sure I'm missing some, and many of the versions could use some higher-res images (I'll be trying to get some images of my own up there over the weekend, though with family visiting that may not happen). I'd especially like to get some good images of the backs of these sheets; there are some fun details in there. Seemingly left-over impressions from other prints, etc... I seem to have a different set of impressions on the back of my credits card, for instance (and I don't seem to have the NIN logo or halo designation on mine, too).

Anyway, enjoy! I'll be keeping tabs on this thread (and the other NTAE thread), and updating as more images are posted.
    Also, my horizontal credits page DOES have a logo on the back, but it's ridiculously hard to make out.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_guyet View Post
    Also, my horizontal credits page DOES have a logo on the back, but it's ridiculously hard to make out.
    Ah, good to know; looking forward to your scans! I'll update the description on there, thx.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Here are some scans with my goddamn shitty scanner.

Second set coming in an hour or so.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Last night I updated my variations index page (at http://apocalyptech.com/ntae/ ) with links to all the sources for the images, btw, so I feel a bit better about that. I also realized that there's probably no reason not to just throw that thing up on Github, so if you wanted your own local mirror of all that (including the script which generates the HTML), feel free to grab it over here: https://github.com/apocalyptech/ntae

I'd happily accept pull requests, of course, though I'll be continuing to monitor this (and other) threads for more images, so definitely don't feel compelled to do so if it's not something you'd naturally do anyway.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Here are some scans with my goddamn shitty scanner.

Second set coming in an hour or so.
    Those aren't viewable by someone without a Facebook account, btw (or possibly without being Friended or whatever the hell Facebook does). Would you mind either changing the permissions on that set, or uploading 'em elsewhere as well? Thx!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    transparency

branches/bones 1 front

branches/bones 1 back

dear world, 1

she's gone away 1 front

she's gone away 1 back

the idea of you 1 front

the idea of you 1 back

burning bright 1

credits 1 front

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    credits 1 back

transparency / the idea of you 1

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I guess TR now collects every Physical Component owner's prints via these scans. Welcome to Year Zero.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Thank you @xolotl for compiling all the images to catalog the variants! Does anyone remember seeing a print run for the Physical Component?

For simplicity, I'm going to speculate that Black on White is the main version (save for "She's Gone Away") & the other colors are secondary:

Transparency

NTAE_01
    a. White card/Black text
    b. Blue card/Black text
    c. red splotches

NTAE_02
    a. White card/Black text
    b. Black card/White text
    c. Green card/Black text

NTAE_03
    a. Black card/White text
    b. Red card/Blue text

NTAE_04
    a. White card/Black text
    b. Grey card/Black text (slightly different text layout)
    c. Blue card/Red text

NTAE_05
    a. White card/Black text
    b. White card/Multicolor text
    c. Black card/Pink text

Credits
    a. White card/Black text
    b. Blue card/White text
    c. Black card/White text (landscape)

I'm guessing there are 3 random variants and we've yet to see the third version for "She's Gone Away."
    Last edited by FULLMETAL; 03-04-2017 at 04:18 PM. Reason: paul_guyet's corrections.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    branches/bones 2

she's gone away 2

the idea of you 2 front

the idea of you 2 back

burning bright 2

credits 2 front

credits 2 back (faint logo dead center almost at the very bottom)

transparency / burning bright

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FULLMETAL View Post
    Thank you @xolotl for compiling all the images to catalog the variants! Does anyone remember seeing a print run for the Physical Component?

For simplicity, I'm going to speculate that Black on White is the main version (save for "She's Gone Away") & the other colors are secondary:

Transparency

NTAE_01
    a. White card/Black text
    b. Blue card/Black text

NTAE_02
    a. White card/Black text
    b. Black card/White text
    c. Green card/Black text

NTAE_03
    a. Black card/White text
    b. Red card/Blue text

NTAE_04
    a. White card/Black text
    b. Blue card/Red text

NTAE_05
    a. White card/Black text
    b. White card/Multicolor text
    c. Black card/Pink text

Credits
    a. White card/Black text
    b. Blue card/White text
    c. Black card/White text (landscape)

I'm guessing there are 3 random variants and we've yet to see the third version for "Branches/Bones," "She's Gone Away," & "The Idea of You."
    There are two black on white versions of "The Idea of You" with different font arrays, so I think that's all three. And there's a version of "Branches/Bones" with red splotches instead of black. "She's Gone Away" is the only one that hasn't had a third yet.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Callahan View Post
    Got mine today!! Just took a photo with all together.

The purple credits card does have a VERY faint NIN logo on the back, can barely even see it in good lighting, at least with my kitchen lights anyway.

i got this variation. didn't take pictures, just wanted to clean up. i'm really happy with it, feels totally worth $12 and then some. that said, i put it back in the plastic sleeve and i have no intention of opening it again.

this whole thing makes me very excited for whatever might come. maybe nothing, but still ...

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    This thread seemed to be the right place to mention this particular thought concerning the physical component's black dust or powder. Anyway, I was just wondering if it's actually corn starch colored black. It also made me wonder if they're to represent the ashes of all the songs with fire and burning references in them as the remains of the idea of him.

Aside from that, I'm just thankful that I have been very much fulfilled upon receiving it, as it'll give me another way to enjoy Not The Actual Events in its entirety. As much as I still enjoy looking through CD cases and booklets, this certainly is yet another creative and brand new experience for me that I definitely appreciate. I also didn't mind the delays that much because I got used to things being postponed or simply not happening whenever it came to Nine Inch Nails, which as a result lead me to be very patient and accepting with whatever Trent Reznor does or doesn't do no matter how many times he might openly suggest or merely hint at any type of prospective release or tour.

I'm also pretty big on the whole "I'll only believe it when I actually see it." approach to such things, so it still gives me yet another reason to be thankful and appreciative, as I saw, touched and believed.

I suppose you can say that my faith and devotion to NIN is still going strong. I also thought to myself, with all the times I bought multiple NIN albums as presents, what's $12.00 without the physical component?

But again, it is quite a relief and pleasant surprise to have it, as I also enjoy the visual aspects of music, with further proof of the money being well spent, whether they be videos or album art even if I tend to block out images and videos from time to time while listening to music.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 03-04-2017 at 10:25 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    There are two black on white versions of "The Idea of You" with different font arrays, so I think that's all three.
    Yeah, I'd noticed that there seemed to be more than one font layout for The Idea of You, even though they otherwise superficially look quite similar. I hadn't yet looked closely enough to find out if it really was just two distinct versions or not; I'll probably end up splitting up my summary page to reflect that once I have a bit of time.

Edit: I wonder if there's a third variant for She's Gone Away but the difference is on the back of the card, not the front. We don't have nearly as many pics/scans of those yet...
    Last edited by xolotl; 03-04-2017 at 10:52 PM.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    has anyone besides me gotten any extra pages? i'm certain it was just that the two pages were stuck together but i also think it's pretty awesome that i ended up with a variation like that.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    has anyone besides me gotten any extra pages? i'm certain it was just that the two pages were stuck together but i also think it's pretty awesome that i ended up with a variation like that.
    You are super special!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    They might make it a bit bulky and, you know, covered in fine, black powder, but, yeah, they should fit. They are just over 6 by 9 inches each

Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    I haven't received mine yet, as I live outside the continental U.S. Will these things fit inside the NTAE LP jacket once it arrives?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    @xolotl

I'm pretty sure that there are two different variations of the green card stock for "Dear World"
    From what I've seen, some are bright green and some are dull green. Of course, I'm aware that different cammeras and or different backgrounds might affect the "green", however comparing the photos people have put up and comparing the white, blue, black, purple, etc within the same picture... I'm fairly certain that there are two different "greens". One is bright, and one is dull. The bright green is already documented. Here's an example of the dull green: http://www.pictaram.club/share/BRIyp4vlfXj

edit:
    Last edited by bwary; 03-04-2017 at 11:22 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Here's my version, back and front :

Close up here : https://imgur.com/a/nXuK3

There is a new line of lyrics in the second verse of The Idea of You :

GO BACK TO THAT IDEA
    CAN YOU HEAR ME OVER HERE?
    (TLEF UOY) YOU FEEL IT HAPPENING?

It's strange, because this line can't be heard in the song, it's not on NINwiki but we can find a variation of it on other lyrics sites like : http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/ninei...ideaofyou.html

This last variation ("Can't you feel it happening?") is also on other versions of the Physical Component.
    Last edited by Dimitri.; 03-05-2017 at 08:17 AM.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri. View Post
    Here's my version, back and front :

Close up here : https://imgur.com/a/nXuK3

There is a new line of lyrics in the second verse of The Idea of You :

GO BACK TO THAT IDEA
    CAN YOU HEAR ME OVER HERE?
    (TLEF UOY) YOU FEEL IT HAPPENING?

It's strange, because this line can't be heard in the song, it's not on NINwiki but we can find a variation of it on other lyrics sites like : http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/ninei...ideaofyou.html

This last variation ("Can't you feel it happening?") is also on other versions of the Physical Component.
    There are some lyrics on the "Burning Bright" sheet that aren't in the song either.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kris View Post
    This thread seemed to be the right place to mention this particular thought concerning the physical component's black dust or powder. Anyway, I was just wondering if it's actually corn starch colored black.
    I believe the substance is Lake Pigment:

"Lakes are often used to color food, drugs and cosmetics. For food coloring, lake pigments are used when other types of food dyes are inefficient. Specifically, when the food at hand lacks the appropriate level of moisture in which other types of dyes can dissolve, lake pigments are often used. Lake pigments are also used for coloring foods containing fats and oils. While both traditional food dyes and lake pigments are both oil insoluble, lakes are oil dispersible. Lakes are commonly used in personal care products such as lipsticks, eye-shadow, nail polishes, lotions and other cosmetics because of their chemical attributes and coloring qualities."

"Fats and oils" is bolded because fingerprints.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    branches/bones 2

she's gone away 2

the idea of you 2 front

the idea of you 2 back

burning bright 2

credits 2 front

credits 2 back (faint logo dead center almost at the very bottom)

transparency / burning bright
    This is the set I have too...I think these are really cool to be honest, good work team NIN/Kraw. Maybe still trumped by the Year Zero disc changing colour...!
    Last edited by simonn; 03-05-2017 at 10:18 AM.