Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Get Out

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I'll just put this here.

Clever, horrifying, funny, and incredibly claustrophobic this film was. Just came on HBO the other night. Just as good, if not better the second time around.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    people aren't green you idiot. it clearly DOES matter to you.
    im not sure if you're trying to be funny here or playing some other angle, in any case go away

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    FWIW my favorite horror movie ever is Halloween...and in terms of 'horror' I've always found these types of movies to be more horrific than what others may view as 'horror'. Demons and aliens, etc.? Yeah that can be scary...but a dude in a mask slaughtering people, or a family such as the one in 'Get Out'? That shit could be happening a few blocks away. That terrifies me. Just me, though...
    agreed 100%...but this doesnt quiet strike me as the type of story that can play out down the street. Michael Myers is omnipresent - all day, every day.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by center27j View Post
    im not sure if you're trying to be funny here or playing some other angle, in any case go away
    no, i'm not trying to be funny. whenever people try to play the "i don't care about race" card, they always throw random colors into the mix that don't actually represent what people look like. it's a common argument that shows hypocrisy and lack of understanding for the actual struggles of people who aren't white. i was calling you out for being a jerk.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    no, i'm not trying to be funny. whenever people try to play the "i don't care about race" card, they always throw random colors into the mix that don't actually represent what people look like. it's a common argument that shows hypocrisy and lack of understanding for the actual struggles of people who aren't white. i was calling you out for being a jerk.
    i not white....who's the fuckin moron now?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Still you.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Alternate ending
    This should have totally been the ending. Yes, it is depressing as fuck, but makes the movie even more poignant. I can't believe they used the ending that they did. This is a million times better.

Does the Blu-ray let you watch it with the alternate ending? I want this version.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    The problem with that ending is that it's the ending the audience was expecting. When I saw the film in a theater, and he raised his hands, the whole audience had that "oh shit" moment, because they thought he was going to get arrested (or, most likely, be gunned down). The sense of relief that washed over everyone when it was revealed that Rod was behind the wheel of the cop car was so great, and cathartic in its own way. I usually go for darker endings, especially when it comes to horror films, but I feel like this was one case where the darker ending just wouldn't have worked.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    The problem with that ending is that it's the ending the audience was expecting. When I saw the film in a theater, and he raised his hands, the whole audience had that "oh shit" moment, because they thought he was going to get arrested (or, most likely, be gunned down). The sense of relief that washed over everyone when it was revealed that Rod was behind the wheel of the cop car was so great, and cathartic in its own way. I usually go for darker endings, especially when it comes to horror films, but I feel like this was one case where the darker ending just wouldn't have worked.
    The darker ending makes a lot more sense than the Rod to the rescue ending. I know Rod works for the TSA, but he was just some low level airport grunt. Why would he have a TSA vehicle? Was he ever shown with a vehicle before? If he did, why would he just be allowed to take a TSA car away from the airport wherever he wanted? Plus, do TSA even have vehicles that look like police cars? I've seen trucks, but not police cars. To me, that Rod ending feels shoehorned in, like "Shit, we gotta try to make a not so dark ending." I get what you are saying. Honestly, I did not even have the same thought as you. When you initially see the flashing lights, I expected Rod to save the day when I first saw it. The theatrical ending feels forced and, when you really look into it, it just doesn't make sense. It doesn't feel right for the movie. I showed my girl the alternate ending and she said the same thing, the alternate ending works much better with the rest of the movie. It's a good movie, this ending would have made it great.
    Last edited by neorev; 03-03-2018 at 11:05 AM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Still haven't seen this. Should've bought the blu-ray when it was $5.00

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    The darker ending makes a lot more sense than the Rod to the rescue ending. I know Rod works for the TSA, but he was just some low level airport grunt. Why would he have a TSA vehicle? Was he ever shown with a vehicle before? If he did, why would he just be allowed to take a TSA car away from the airport wherever he wanted? Plus, do TSA even have vehicles that look like police cars? I've seen trucks, but not police cars.
    He could have stolen the car to save his friend. He may be low level, but there's no reason to believe he wouldn't have access to a vehicle like that. Also, Rod had been in communication with both Chris and Rose, and used that to find him. It may be a stretch, but it's not entirely impossible. The problem with that alternate ending is having the cops show up. Who called them? How did they find out shit was going down? Rose's parents' house is set up to be in the middle of nowhere, so I doubt there were any neighbors close enough to hear something suspicious and call the police.

Also, from reading comments online, it seems like a lot of audiences had the same reaction to the ending that my audience did, which I think gets the point across that Jordan Peele was trying to make. He wanted you to have that moment to connect the dots before the film ended. If anything, the alternate ending with him in jail lays it on too thick. Like I said, I usually go for darker endings, but I don't think that ending would have worked as well (or gotten the point across in the same fashion) as the ending that was used. To be honest, it's not even what I would consider a "happy" ending. He got away, sure, but there's still more of those motherfuckers out there. The work isn't done yet. He's just managed to put it on hold.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Still haven't seen this. Should've bought the blu-ray when it was $5.00
    oh dude, you gotta see it. It's a fucking trip.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    I would argue that the ending forces the audience to acknowledge within themselves that this is the justice we all hope for. Of course it feels unrealistic, because our society is so shitty and depressing. We've seen so many videos of cops murdering black guys, it's almost like we've come to expect injustice from America. Which is why I think the unrealistic ending is intentional and smart. However fantastical it might seem, it lets us feel the sense of elation that Chris gets to survive, and this forces the audience to experience this idea of justice within themselves. They know it's unrealistic, but they're happy for him. That's an important thing for people to experience. It's one thing to read some article or have somebody tell you what they think would be fair or better for our society, and it's another thing to actually feel it in your own gut.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Very deserving and a great speech. Definitely one of the best films of 2010s so far... eager for what Peele will do next. I don't blame him for quitting acting all due to the fucking Emoji Movie where they offered him to play the role of the shit emoji. I would quit acting too if they offered me that as well.