Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last of Us

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

The Last of Us

New game from Naughty Dog. Looks like some sort of action/horror. With Naughty Dog's track record as of recent, I'll certainly keep my eye on this one!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Between this and I Am Alive, I'd say we have a couple of really slick survival games on the way.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Is it sad the only games by Naughty Dog I cared for were the 90's Crash Bandicoot games? Uncharted is so massively overrated it isn't even funny.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Is it sad the only games by Naughty Dog I cared for were the 90's Crash Bandicoot games? Uncharted is so massively overrated it isn't even funny.
    The first Jak and Daxter game was pretty damn fun, if not as good as Crash Bandicoot 2 (my personal fav) and Uncharted 2, which (while I really liked 3) pretty much wipes the floor with any other 'cinematic' game of its ilk. Tight gunplay, a decent plot that only goes batshit stupid a couple of times and enough character to make up for the glut of generic military shooters and drab settings.. I don't think you could call it over-rated at all. It does exactly what it set out to do and still looks jawdropping in places. The first one is pretty great but a little sparse when compared to the sequels and the third one relies a little too much on cinematic and set pieces.

Seeing Naughty Dog do a survival action game should be very interesting, what I really don't want it to be is Uncharted with zombie spore monsters... They covered that in Uncharted 1..

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    I don't know that I'd call the gunplay in Uncharted "tight," I mean it does what its supposed to do, but It's never interesting, and the hit feedback is godawful. Those games are so boring it drives me crazy.

As for this, well... I'd say it's really early to judge. I feel like people have been riding the hype train on this one since its announcement. The information to excitement ratio when combined with uncharted's reviews make me wonder how much Naughty Dog is paying the media these days.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    So it's getting great press, and it comes out Friday in US. Anyone else hyped?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Oh yes. Can't wait.
    Skimmed a few reviews and it seems to be hitting high marks all around. It just looks like a story that is worth experiencing.
    Last edited by liquidcalm; 06-09-2013 at 07:37 AM. Reason: finishing my sentences..

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Definitely! I really wanted this to go on my list of games to buy on day 1, but finances aren't quite allowing that. (I'd much rather spend my money on tickets to NIN, sorry, Naughty Dog.) I'll be renting this bad boy before work on Friday.

For what it's worth, Uncharted had more of a light-hearted and comical feel to it. It doesn't feel like we'll have any of that here, in a good way. I think they're trying their hand at making a more "serious" game this time around, and from what I hear, they've succeeded.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I'll get in many, many, many months later

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nin64 View Post
    So it's getting great press, and it comes out Friday in US. Anyone else hyped?
    ont know how to say this but, YES!

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I don't understand how people couldn't love Uncharted 2. That game was pretty much perfect in every way as far as I'm concerned.

I've been tempted to download the demo w/ my copy of God of War Ascension, but I think I'm just going to hold off since I'm pretty positive I'll be buying this on day one.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    a few hours in and it's incredible so far. Been playing offline to avoid the autosaving glitch that I read about (even though it's apparently fixed now). They were having an event at the store I picked it up at where a bunch of the team from Naughty Dog were there signing posters for it. Nice people.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Just picked this up, on my way home. Let's do this.

Gamer tag is same as my Xbox live name. Cubanmislcrysis

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I don't understand how people couldn't love Uncharted 2. That game was pretty much perfect in every way as far as I'm concerned.

I've been tempted to download the demo w/ my copy of God of War Ascension, but I think I'm just going to hold off since I'm pretty positive I'll be buying this on day one.
    The reason i dont love Uncharted, is because to me it seems very soulless and empty. The plot is kind of bland and generic, the characters are very ehatever, youve seen the 100 times before and nothing has been done to make them stand out. The game is built to take you from one set piece to the next. Thats it. And the gameplay doesnt set itself apart.

It essentially does the bare minimum in order to be playable. It has perfected aspects of that, and it has great graphics but I actually never understood why people like those games so much...

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    The reason i dont love Uncharted, is because to me it seems very soulless and empty. The plot is kind of bland and generic, the characters are very ehatever, youve seen the 100 times before and nothing has been done to make them stand out. The game is built to take you from one set piece to the next. Thats it. And the gameplay doesnt set itself apart.

It essentially does the bare minimum in order to be playable. It has perfected aspects of that, and it has great graphics but I actually never understood why people like those games so much...
    I laugh at my initial reply in this thread BUT I do still think the series is overrated to a degree. They are well made and can be fun, if on the right day, but it is a great action-adventure game. I don't classify as a true third-person shooter as some. I like the first game's use of weaponry as it was needed to fend off enemies and survive along. 2 and 3 relied more on gunfights to move the game along.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I was so fucking butthurt this morning! I went to Hastings to rent this before work, but didn't even see it on the shelf yet...So I thought "eh, whatever," and walked out. I got to my car, then I called the store real quick to ask if they even had it available (I was feeling lazy and didn't wanna walk back across the parking lot, heh), and the guy says "Yeah, we only have one left." What the fuck?? So I go back inside, literally after like, 2 minutes, and there are three empty rental slots for The Last of Us sitting right there in their new home. Thanks for taking your sweet time and not having the games available at open, Hastings.

I GUESS I'll play one of the other 50 games I have digitally that I have yet to play, and continue beasting through Bioshock: Infinite's 1999 Mode. :P

SOON.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Played a good couple of hours this evening.
    It is intense. It's basically the anti-Uncharted.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    it's pretty good so far. dripping with flavor, of course. Kotaku recommended that people play on hard, so I'm doing that, and I can see why. Supplies are so much more abundant on normal...

The little girl can be really annoying sometimes. She often gets in your way, even when there isn't a battle! I wish they had found some kind of fix for this. Like making her hide under a desk. She's invincible anyway, so they might as well give her an excuse not to be seen during battle, she single handedly kills the mood during those sections. and I wish there was a dedicated cover button, because it's hard to tell when you are "in cover" in the official sense.

Still, it's working out so far.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I really haven't made any time to play any games over the past year and a half, but I REALLY wanna play this game, I have to just cut out a 15 hour block somewhere and go IN.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wretchedest View Post
    The reason i dont love Uncharted, is because to me it seems very soulless and empty. The plot is kind of bland and generic, the characters are very ehatever, youve seen the 100 times before and nothing has been done to make them stand out.
    Geez... What game characters DO you like then? One of the biggest draws on Uncharted is it's awesome characters. I've never seen characters so well written, performed and animated.

Just finished my second 5 hour stint of Last of Us, tomorrow's session should be enough to have it finished (the first run anyways).

I went with Medium for my first playthough and yeah, it's crazy how many supplies there are. I find myself maxed out with them all the time and unable to make any more supplies. I assume the weapon/character upgrade amounts are the same on all difficulties? Maybe not though...

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: The Last of Us

Only a few hours in, but I'm enjoying it a great deal. Very hectic. How resident evil should be.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    sooo.. It picks up a lot once you leave Boston. I thought the intro was pretty slow (with some great moments)

However once thing so far has caught me off guard: Spoiler: A 'boss' fight against the 'bloater'? Felt.. un-necessary, and the guy is lobbing shit at you? hmmm.. I'm not much further than that right now.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sa_nick View Post
    Geez... What game characters DO you like then? One of the biggest draws on Uncharted is it's awesome characters. I've never seen characters so well written, performed and animated.

Just finished my second 5 hour stint of Last of Us, tomorrow's session should be enough to have it finished (the first run anyways).

I went with Medium for my first playthough and yeah, it's crazy how many supplies there are. I find myself maxed out with them all the time and unable to make any more supplies. I assume the weapon/character upgrade amounts are the same on all difficulties? Maybe not though...
    Actually the supplies are much, much lower on hard. It actualy feels more survival horror that way. I actually hit a bump that was little too tough for me, the first major zombie encounter, and I switched to normal for a moment, and suddenly there were weapons fucking EVERYWHERE! ha! But it killed the vibe for me so I switched back.

As for Uncharted I really disagree about its characters. When I try to find depth I hit a wall. They aren't even just shallow, there's just nothing there. No motivations, no interesting backstory. nothing.

to answer what I assume is a rhetorical question:

Oliver (from Ni No Kuni)
    Mordin (from Mass Effect)
    Jack (From Mass Effect)
    Cole in the first Infamous
    Almost every character in Persona 4. That is a very well written game
    Jason Brody (Far Cry 3)
    Wei Shen (Sleeping Dogs)

I think each of those characters has a lot of depth and substance. Most of them are pretty relatable, or at least you can understand what motivates or drives them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    That's a decent list of characters. They're all good on paper but i when I'm playing any of those games the characters shout "I'm a video game character!", whereas the Uncharted gang feel much more human and real. There is a lack of motivation and questions about why Drake is fine with being a mass murderer but i can forgive that because it's kinda him or them. Did you play Uncharted 3? That starts getting into the background of the characters. Some people weren't keen on it but I really dug it.

I've seen a lot of Mass Effect gameplay but it never interested me enough to make me wanna play it... maybe it's time i gave it a shot.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    I'm impossibly in love with this game.

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Re: The Last of Us

Quote Originally Posted by liquidcalm View Post
    sooo.. It picks up a lot once you leave Boston. I thought the intro was pretty slow (with some great moments)

However once thing so far has caught me off guard: Spoiler: A 'boss' fight against the 'bloater'? Felt.. un-necessary, and the guy is lobbing shit at you? hmmm.. I'm not much further than that right now.
    Spoiler: Bloaters suck. I'm stuck in Pittsburgh. Can't find the card key, and when I turn on a generator, I get bombarded by a Bloater and a couple infected (I think?). Next try, I'm just going to try running.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Anyone got the Joel/Ellie Edition? Are the 20 bucks more worth it?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Just finished it.
    Simply amazed. It's pretty much what The Walking Dead could have been if it wasn't a point & click, and what I am alive could have been if it didn't suck.

Really engaging. I'm sorry but Ellie didn't annoy me at all... After a while, its obvious that she really is the main character in the game... the most lovable one anyway

I'm eager to play the upcoming DLC.
    Last edited by Ash512; 06-16-2013 at 04:43 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Piko View Post
    Spoiler: Bloaters suck. I'm stuck in Pittsburgh. Can't find the card key, and when I turn on a generator, I get bombarded by a Bloater and a couple infected (I think?). Next try, I'm just going to try running.
    Spoiler: I just got past that part. Don't turn on the generator, explore the upstairs first, theres a few runners but nothing bad. The card key is in the security room in the middle? I think, I found that before I realised there was a generator. When everything bursts out when you switch on the generator I already had my route planned out and legged it

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidcalm View Post
    Spoiler: I just got past that part. Don't turn on the generator, explore the upstairs first, theres a few runners but nothing bad. The card key is in the security room in the middle? I think, I found that before I realised there was a generator. When everything bursts out when you switch on the generator I already had my route planned out and legged it
    Spoiler: Took a couple tries, but I finally did it. When I finally got it, I turned on the generator, quickly ran up, got my shotgun ready and took out the runners as I turned the corner, then ran like hell.