Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: John Wick Saga

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I enjoyed the film a lot as a whole. As usual, it was a gorgeous movie to look at, but to me it seemed like the emphasis on color and cinematography wasn't QUITE as strong as it was on the first two films. Still very pretty, just felt like they concentrated more on the action sequences in this one. Speaking of the fights, they were great.. the beginning fight with the book, the knife fights, and the motorcycle chase. All good shit. Halle Berry was cool. Always a pleasure to see Ian McShane and Laurence Fishburne. The concierge is great too.

I liked seeing the world opened up a bit more, and I liked learning a little bit more about the high table / enforcers / John's background..still, not a lot of plot here though. Sort of a John Wick 2.5 like someone mentioned earlier..there wasn't really an ending here.

STILL, that said, I liked it a lot...just not as much as the first two. JW1: A, JW2: A+, JW3: B+

Also, kinda wanna rewatch and tally up just how many words John says throughout the flick..it's gotta be like 100 or something.

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Saw it yesterday, loved it. Never saw anything before like the dog sequence! I'm sure Halle will be back in part 4.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    I'll just wait for the blu-ray release.

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    I'll just wait for the blu-ray release.
    I'm torn...I might do the same thing, but I enjoy being in the theater for action flicks

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Saw it yesterday and totally loved it allthough I had some gripes with it. Didn't like Halle Berry's character too much, yet it made up for some great variations for the fights. And while it was a nice idea to have some more backstory on John I wasn't really feeling it. The movie itself felt a little bit too cramped as well, but overall I still enjoyed it and had a great time at the movies. The book, the motorcycles, the horses... perfect! We walked out of the cinema and got very excited for the fourth movie!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    LOVED the hell out of JWIII <3 Went into it with cautious expectations since JWII let me down, was visually sexy but failed to deliver as a whole package, imo. Glad to see they recognized where their strengths lie with this one. The dog scenes were amazing. Also love how they keep peeling layers to show us this underground assassin world.

Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss.Selfdestruct View Post
    LOVED the hell out of JWIII <3 Went into it with cautious expectations since JWII let me down, was visually sexy but failed to deliver as a whole package, imo. Glad to see they recognized where their strengths lie with this one. The dog scenes were amazing. Also love how they keep peeling layers to show us this underground assassin world.
    100% this.
    I loved the first one, and then was stoked for the 2nd, but left the theater disappointed. The second one really didn't do anything for me at all. This one though, fantastic film!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    John Wick 4 delayed an entire year, now dropping May 27, 2022.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I'm still pissed that they had him basically renounce the thing that started this movie series in part 3. Like, almost irrationally angry. It's basically Fast & Furious or Bond now and the throughline of stories is basically done. Sure there will be 'oh right, that part's from ___" callbacks and The Continental (which is now a series of TV movies) as well but the bit that made me understand his character is gone, he gave it up.

There are going to be a couple of challenges to the upcoming, three-part series The Continental since while it is a go, the series will be shot as three 90-minute episodes that will go into detail as to how the hotel grew into what it currently is within the John Wick movies. It will also show a young Winston as he makes his way forward as a hotelier that will be attempting to create a safe haven for hitmen. How this will be seen to happen is bound to be fairly interesting since the time period that will be taken...

Director Albert Hughes to Helm New John Wick TV Show “The Continental

See full article at TVovermind.com »
    I also read the John Wick comic series they put out. There's a person who is insane for killing in a way that you can only do in comic books and it's kind of distracting because they've also got Plot Armor to spare...until they don't.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I'm still pissed that they had him basically renounce the thing that started this movie series in part 3. Like, almost irrationally angry. It's basically Fast & Furious or Bond now and the throughline of stories is basically done.
    The first John Wick will always be a classic. Perfect use of minimalism and it pushed action movies forward for the better by finally getting rid of the whole shaky-cam thing and doing it right. The rest of the movies in the series I just look at as a continuation of the action but in terms of the story, it ended with the first one just like every other franchise pretty much.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I never saw these movies as realistic. That is the whole allure of the character is that he is THE "Baba Yaga." But instead is punishing adults instead of children. If you are going into a John Wick film hoping for realistic things to happen to him, than I dunno what to tell you lol...

I disagree with the story ending in the first film. Every film so far has pushed it forward just enough to want more of what is going on in this universe, and I'm all for it. It's a straight up in your face action series that isn't in a rush to tell you every little thing that is going on, what more do you want?
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 08-06-2021 at 07:28 AM.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    The first John Wick will always be a classic. Perfect use of minimalism and it pushed action movies forward for the better by finally getting rid of the whole shaky-cam thing and doing it right. The rest of the movies in the series I just look at as a continuation of the action but in terms of the story, it ended with the first one just like every other franchise pretty much.
    I love this series and find the second one is my favorite but the first one is its own monster and is wildly better for it and more original. I can openly admit it.

Parabellum was ok but everything outside of The Continental and in Morocco I could take or leave. The entire Morocco part of the story just....drags.

Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    I never saw these movies as realistic. That is the whole allure of the character is that he is THE "Baba Yaga." But instead is punishing adults instead of children. If you are going into a John Wick film hoping for realistic things to happen to him, than I dunno what to tell you lol...

I disagree with the story ending in the first film. Every film so far has pushed it forward just enough to want more of what is going on in this universe, and I'm all for it. It's a straight up in your face action series that isn't in a rush to tell you every little thing that is going on, what more do you want?
    Receiving that many gunshot wounds in all 3 films would surely pierce or damage a functioning organ. Not to mention the heights he gets thrown off of would cause major damage. When Winston throws him off the rooftop that man would not have gotten up after that haha.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Suicide View Post
    Receiving that many gunshot wounds in all 3 films would surely pierce or damage a functioning organ. Not to mention the heights he gets thrown off of would cause major damage. When Winston throws him off the rooftop that man would not have gotten up after that haha.
    Das why he the Baba Yaga .

I read "Major Damage" and could not help but hear Phil Swift saying this lolol.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)

Maybe John Wick uses Flex seal to fix his bullet wounds.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Oh don't get me wrong. I'm glad they keep making them, they are a blast to watch. I just think the first movie is the one that's going to stand the test of time and still be noteworthy 50 years from now. The others aren't bad but they're basically just expanding on the lore now and at some point that can go south in a franchise. To me, the less you know about John Wick and the Continental and the other assassins the more effective it is. I don't want to know some of these assassins were raised and trained in some weird catholic orphanage. That's too much info. The less backstory Wick had the more mythic he seems. Same with the world they're in. I don't want to know the politics of the High Table. How much better is the first movie when you know nothing of Wick's past and all you know about the high table is that if some of these motherfuckers break their rules a bunch of random people pop out and execute them on the spot. The more those type of mysteries are expanded on, the less effective it becomes imo.

But yeah, they gotta make these sequels be about something, they can't just make the 1st one over and over so I get it and I'll probably watch them all until they stop making them regardless. But they're not topping the first one and that's not a knock on them, its just almost impossible for sequels to outdo a genuinely great first film. Godfather 2 being the obvious exception.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    What did you guys think of Odenkirk's Nobody? I mean i guess it's not officially part of the JW universe but it might as well be! I want it to be!

Talk about a double feature to end all double features, just watch John Wick and Nobody together. Wooooooo!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    Oh don't get me wrong. I'm glad they keep making them, they are a blast to watch. I just think the first movie is the one that's going to stand the test of time and still be noteworthy 50 years from now. The others aren't bad but they're basically just expanding on the lore now and at some point that can go south in a franchise. To me, the less you know about John Wick and the Continental and the other assassins the more effective it is. I don't want to know some of these assassins were raised and trained in some weird catholic orphanage. That's too much info. The less backstory Wick had the more mythic he seems. Same with the world they're in. I don't want to know the politics of the High Table. How much better is the first movie when you know nothing of Wick's past and all you know about the high table is that if some of these motherfuckers break their rules a bunch of random people pop out and execute them on the spot. The more those type of mysteries are expanded on, the less effective it becomes imo.

But yeah, they gotta make these sequels be about something, they can't just make the 1st one over and over so I get it and I'll probably watch them all until they stop making them regardless. But they're not topping the first one and that's not a knock on them, its just almost impossible for sequels to outdo a genuinely great first film. Godfather 2 being the obvious exception.
    Yea I hear ya on the not showing too much... I would liked to have maybe seen that continue into the second. For me, after awhile I would want to know more about those random people and what they're about. I love that scene though when they all start attacking Wick after they all find out he is excommunicado lol...

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

The John Wick has been unleashed. Everyone will pay!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post

The John Wick has been unleashed. Everyone will pay!

Hahaa, I tried sharing a gif, but my phone just had a nervous breakdown. The John Wick is coming for me...
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 08-07-2021 at 03:21 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

Hahaa, I tried sharing a gif, but my phone just had a nervous breakdown. The John Wick is coming for me...
    Did your great grandfather's neighbor's second cousin twice removed ever cross the grandma of first grade teacher of the taxi driver that once drove the father of the babysitter of the puppy killer's kindergarten best friend's mother?

Then you bet your butt The John Wick is coming for you.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Fourth movie delayed almost an entire year to March 24, 2023. Wommmp.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...-4-1235143457/

Keanu Reeves Had One Goal for John Wick in ‘Chapter 4’: Make Him Suffer

"We just attack one at a time," Reeves told THR of whether this installment will be his last ride with Chad Stahelski.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Are our bodies ready?

“Yeah.”

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    ^^^ Yeah... I'm thinking we're back.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Anything that I'm ever excited for is always a year or more away AND I DON'T STOP AGING.

This shit never gets any easier lol

Can it just be opening day for JW4 already? Please? Anyone got a time machine? Fuck i so badly want to see this.

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post
    Anything that I'm ever excited for is always a year or more away AND I DON'T STOP AGING.

Can it just be opening day for JW4 already? Please? Anyone got a time machine? Fuck i so badly want to see this.
    You age while Keanu Reeves reverse-ages, lol.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple View Post

True story the first thing I thought when I saw this trailer is "wow I remember going to see John Wick 2 in the theatre 5 FUCKING YEARS AGO!!"

Back then I even looked a bit like John Wick, or at least that's what my friends told me. Now I look more like Bill Burr. WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED haha

I didn't get the Keanu gene but fuck it I'll watch as many of these movies as they wanna make.