Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: John Wick Saga

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    John Wick Chapter 3 confirmed for May 2019.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    This is fantastic news. I'd argue this is already a better franchise for Keanu than The Matrix.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    I'm usually eye-rolling at TV spin-offs, but I think this could be good, even if Keanu only makes a few guest appearances. I heard they pulled it off well in Limitless, where they had Bradley Cooper reprise his movie role in the TV series.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    RAD. Perfect. I'd honestly want Wick's involvement with the show's story to be relatively minimal. The universe they've established in the first two films is absolutely large enough for them to keep it alive without having to rely on Wick being the central character for every story.

Extra super bonus points if McShane and Reddick come back, too! I'd almost prefer seeing more of them in the show than Reeves, but so far I've got pretty good faith in this. The sole premise of focusing on The Continental is EXACTLY what I would've wanted for a series.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Yes please.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    I am ready.

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Now with 100% more dogs shredding thugs!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I was sold at the horse. (Even though I've been sold since Chapter 2 ended.)

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    I was sold at the horse. (Even though I've been sold since Chapter 2 ended.)
    I saw a fleet of motorcyclists wielding swords and the biggest, dumbest smile spread across my face.

Judging from the fact that they're saying "this is not the end of a trilogy, we can do anything we want," I really can't wait to see where this one ends up in terms of scale. I want John Wick vs. the entire planet. I mean, unless the organization is exclusively US based, we're kind of already at "John Wick vs. Everyone" with this one. They've done a fantastic job with building their universe and pacing themselves, ramping up the scale of things just one step at a time. What a brilliantly written action franchise.

Anybody check out the John Wick comics that came about a couple years ago? I might have to check those out...

Edit: Regarding the meaning of "parabellum," it sounds like they couldn't have picked a more fitting word for this one.

early 20th century: the name of a German make of gun, from Latin para bellum (from para! ‘prepare!’ (imperative of parare ) + bellum ‘war’) in the phrase si vis pacem, para bellum ‘if you want peace, prepare for war’.
    Last edited by ImTheWiseJanitor; 01-17-2019 at 12:31 PM.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
    I saw a fleet of motorcyclists wielding swords and the biggest, dumbest smile spread across my face.

Judging from the fact that they're saying "this is not the end of a trilogy, we can do anything we want," I really can't wait to see where this one ends up in terms of scale. I want John Wick vs. the entire planet. I mean, unless the organization is exclusively US based, we're kind of already at "John Wick vs. Everyone" with this one. They've done a fantastic job with building their universe and pacing themselves, ramping up the scale of things just one step at a time. What a brilliantly written action franchise.
    I am glad that they haven't fully opened up this world all the way yet. They are very intricate with how they are telling the story, and doesn't try to cram anything down your throat when it comes to exposition, nor really overwhelms you. The only worry I have is if Halle Berry can pull off this role since she has been pretty non-existent over the past 5 years, but they seemed pretty bad-ass fighting together at the end. I just wanna see another fight with him and Common.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    I am glad that they haven't fully opened up this world all the way yet. They are very intricate with how they are telling the story, and doesn't try to cram anything down your throat when it comes to exposition, nor really overwhelms you. The only worry I have is if Halle Berry can pull off this role since she has been pretty non-existent over the past 5 years, but they seemed pretty bad-ass fighting together at the end. I just wanna see another fight with him and Common.
    I think I might actually be a little disappointed if Common doesn’t come back at some point. I’d imagine if it’s happening in part 3, they’re keeping it under wraps, but as long as it happens someday I’ll be happy! He was a great character.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    I just wanna see another fight with him and Common.
    I still can't get over John Wick and Common's character whose name escapes me, Cassius i think? the scene where they're practically flirting with each other by discrete gun shots. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Anjelica Huston ftmfw!!!

That trailer makes the movie look like it's going to be even better than parts 1 & 2...which would be no small feat. Amped!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ImTheWiseJanitor View Post
    I think I might actually be a little disappointed if Common doesn’t come back at some point. I’d imagine if it’s happening in part 3, they’re keeping it under wraps, but as long as it happens someday I’ll be happy! He was a great character.
    I believe he will pop up somewhere, maybe to even help John? Since they do have a morbid way of having respect for each other. Even if he comes back to fight as a villain, I'm sure it will be a pretty extravagant finale.

Quote Originally Posted by thelastdisciple
    I still can't get over John Wick and Common's character whose name escapes me, Cassius i think? the scene where they're practically flirting with each other by discrete gun shots. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!
    Yesss, couldn't think of it at the time! That scene had me and my ex cracking up in the theater, along with many others. It was their facial expressions that had me losing it almost to tears.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Yes please.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

Will somebody PLEASE get this man his guns!

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Do I see an Enter the Dragon callback? Cannot wait to see how this ends!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Got my ticket for tonight.

Glad to see JWIII is getting good reviews so far.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Seeing this tomorrow, very excited!

Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    It’s so good. There’s a twist I’m not fond of but I trust this franchise to work it out.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    More of a John Wick 2.5 than anything, which wouldn't be a problem, because I loved the second one even more than the original, but I was hoping for a real ending this time. Instead we've got more of the same with another sequel hook. Found myself zoning out during some of the fight scenes, paying more attention to the gorgeous set design and lighting, but overall, it does satisfy the John Wick itch. Plenty of spotlight for the Continental and supporting characters we've come to love. "Yeah"/10

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Pretty much where I sit as well. They ignored so much of the previous two movies, like bullet counting. Halle Berry basically had a movie pistol for her fight, running around shooting and shooting and shooting. I saw her reload...twice? Three times maybe? I was amazed at how many stunts looked like stunts instead of something in the real world. And the reliance on CGI knives? Even the cracking glass was CG. What about the exploding glass skull displays? That was just laughably bad. Then there was the bullet waste. Just shoot him in the head once, he's dead. Nope. One, two, three in the head and once in the throat and then another in the chest. Still moving? Shoot him in the head again. And when they give him armor-piercing rounds he still shoots people two or three times in the head and chest. I'm pretty sure that you reduce someone's head to jelly on round 1, round 2 is just to make sure he's atomized or something.

The Raid guys were short. Keanu was on his knees fighting them and he was still taller! Looked like he was fighting little kids.

The movie was gorgeous to look at. The composition of the scenes and colors...it was a gorgeous movie. Though there were times - like the gigantic fucking advertisement for those expensive-ass watches during the final fight - that made me roll my eyes.

And if they had ended the movie before that last scene it would have been the best ending to the series, easy. I was so excited for that that the real ending bummed me out. Oh well, can't have everything.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I really fucking enjoyed it! 2 is still my fav of the 3, but i do love the actions scenes (best use of dogs in a fight ever) It has so much style though, added with the action makes these always a good fucking time for me!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Oh yeah, the dogs. They were pretty awesome, though I would have liked more of the dog/human movement that we only saw for a few seconds. It's just so cool to see a dog who's so well trained they look like they're a part of their master. And I don't know what it's called so I can't find an example, but you know when the dog is basically right between the legs and they move at the same time? That's impressive.

Also the dogs provided some hilarity in the number of crotch shots they went after, plus the times they were fighting with a guy and either KR or HB would kill the dude and the scene would give you two or three seconds of the dog wrestling with a dead body.

Speaking on the animals: the horse scene was pretty good too.
    Last edited by allegate; 05-20-2019 at 08:47 AM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    The horse scene was great, showing how much of a master of his surroundings John is, and i did love how the dogs always went in for a crouch bite. Also i thought it was a nice little foreshadow when Spoiler: John's going to ask for a ticket to Casablanca he has to put everything he has on the table as he can use ANYTHING to fight if he wanted and has to leave his belt...which he much MUCH later uses in a fight I appreciate those little things in these films.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    JW4 - May 21, 2021

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    I enjoyed it. At times it felt like it was a little too drawn out. But it was still good. I think the first one is still my favorite.