Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Frank Herbert's Dune

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    No doubt, it's borderline impossible to read it all. I have a friend that made it his mission to read/collect everything Sandman and at a certain point he sent me a pic of an entire ikea bookshelf literally bursting with it... "it's a lot to keep up with." and I was like "the fuck you mean 'a lot' that's an entire library." lol.
    Bahahahaa, that would have been my reaction as well. Shit, I was almost defeated just seeing how many editons and prints each volume has.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    https://lnk.to/ArtandSoulofDuneMusic

if you can figure out how to get it to download for free I'll be in your debt. the only place it downloads is iTunes and Amazon but when you click the link you have to pay. wtf is this bull?
    i'm sure i can find it. You'd have to come over to the Dark Side of the Force, though. :/

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Stellan Skarsgård doing a straight up impersonation of Marlon Brando as Col. Kurtz in Apocalypse Now made me quite giddy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm glad audiances seemed to have like this. There seems to be a new interest in the books and the Dune universe in general. I unfortunately was underwhelmed which was sad for me because the first book and the original movie are two of my favorite things.
    I saw Lynch's Dune as a kid and it became my favorite movie. I liked the movie more than Star Wars or any sci-fi or adventure. I didn't read the book until I was about 18 and have since read the whole series several times and some of his son's extended universe books. It is one of rare cases that I enjoyed the book and the original movie equally.
    I liked Arrival and Blade Runner so I had high hopes for this adaptation but I wasn't even thrilled with how it looked creatively or with some of the cinematography. I was maybe most disappointed in the score and how it was used.
    I was probably not the target audience for this film. I don't generally like modern action or large market sci-fi movies or comic book movies. The one thing that didn't bother me that seems to have bothered others was the stoping point or break between parts. The end had no effect on on my thoughts about the film.
    I applaud Villeneuve for taking on the scope of Dune and I guess making a version of Dune that people are enjoying. I do hope part 2 is made and am hoping TV spin offs like the Bene Gesserit find homes. And I will watch part 2 and whatever TV spin offs there are because I love the source material.
    Last edited by Alpha 60; 10-28-2021 at 06:44 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    movie sucked. Completely ripped off Tremors. 0/10.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Double Jesus, ha!
    Last edited by allegate; 10-30-2021 at 01:31 PM.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I really hope that when I see part 2, I walk away feeling better about part 1.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinsai View Post
    I really hope that when I see part 2, I walk away feeling better about part 1.
    Did you read the book?

I REALLY wanna dive into a big book that takes me away from all earthly concerns. Believe it or not, but i liked reading Battlefield Earth. Yes it was pulp, but it took me to a different place.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    I’ve read Dune and a couple sequels. I’m not going to claim I’m a hardcore fanboy. I loved the first book and I disliked this movie. It was a let down. I really don’t understand what fails, but it fails despite doing everything right. Maybe it’s just best left as a book

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I’ve read Dune and a couple sequels. I’m not going to claim I’m a hardcore fanboy. I loved the first book and I disliked this movie. It was a let down. I really don’t understand what fails, but it fails despite doing everything right. Maybe it’s just best left as a book
    I HAVEN'T read it, but like, i'm saying that i could REALLY go for, you know, something that's, if not EXACTLY pulp or space opera, is at least in the ballpark.
    I wanna think about different alien races and shit, fighting for imaginary resources, instead of covid and joe biden.

Will the books help?

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I HAVEN'T read it, but like, i'm saying that i could REALLY go for, you know, something that's, if not EXACTLY pulp or space opera, is at least in the ballpark.
    Random recommendation, but have you seen Katsuhiro Otomo's Memories?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    This film plays out like a semi-prologue, because the main character of the ensemble has no meaningful agency until the very end and the stakes aren't exactly clear if you didn't know anything about Dune beforehand. It's like as if Fellowship of the Ring did not have its (actual) prologue and had ended as soon as Elrond declared the fellowship... a fellowship. That kind of storytelling works well with tv series, but not so much with movies. Not even Marvel does it like that.

It could've been improved by having another act after the fight with Jamis, but then they likely would've ran into the same problem as Lynch did. Another solution could've been to have shot the two Dune films simultaneously and release them 6-9 months apart, but the studio did not want that. It might not have improved the film on its own, but not having to wait as long could have improved the experience. Maybe not focusing as much on Paul until after the attack by the Harkonnens could've been helpful too. Put his parents more front and center in stead.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Random recommendation, but have you seen Katsuhiro Otomo's Memories?
    I've not, but you must remember: my Japanese is all but nonexistent. I remember tamago and usagi... and that's about it, aside from words commonly used in the west. :/

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

I laughed so hard I almost cried.

Of course, it's full of spoilers if you haven't seen the movie yet (shame on you!) but more than that, if you have not read the books (at least the first three) there is a major spoiler for things to come hidden in there.

Don't say I didn't warn you.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Song Exploder episode of Paul's Dream, Hans Zimmer speaks about his soundtrack, interesting listen: https://songexploder.net/dune

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Fuck me, this is one of those things where you REALLY need to read the book first, right?
    I TRIED to watch it. It LOOKED great, visually.
    But, JESUS, it lays 20 or 30 min of exposition on you from the get-go.

We actually turned it off at about the 1hr mark.
    It IS beautiful. But it was just so obvious that there was SO much going on that i wasn't fully understanding, so, yeah, book first.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    wife didnt read the book. and she loved it. ordered the books right after.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I would argue that the movie actually had much less exposition than the book. There is a ton of stuff about the relationships of characters and houses and whatnot that explicitly explained in the book but you sorta have to assume from the hints they are showing you on screen.

The book has some extra scenes that add details but would really hurt the pacing of an already slow movie, but on top of that there are pages and pages of internal thought process that every main character goes through and tons on non-verbal communication (mostly between Jessica and Paul) that also really detailed. Barely any of this made it to the film.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I would argue that the movie actually had much less exposition than the book. There is a ton of stuff about the relationships of characters and houses and whatnot that explicitly explained in the book but you sorta have to assume from the hints they are showing you on screen.

The book has some extra scenes that add details but would really hurt the pacing of an already slow movie, but on top of that there are pages and pages of internal thought process that every main character goes through and tons on non-verbal communication (mostly between Jessica and Paul) that also really detailed. Barely any of this made it to the film.
    Well, yeah. "Less exposition," but the fact that the exposition was NECESSARY...

I just didn't feel like I was getting the full experience, @fillow .

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    This finally opened here in Australia. I saw it tonight, and am … lost for words, really. It’s everything I hoped it would be, and I am utterly excited for Part Two. I need to sleep on this, but gosh, what an experience.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Whoa. Dune Part Two has found it's Emperor Shaddam IV.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    "Woah-uh, what's with all this...sand?"

hard to do Walken in text.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Awesome! Walken is a lot of things. "Boring" is not one of them.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    yeah that show he did with Stephen Merchant is pretty good, he's a bright spot in it.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Hell yeah that's awesome news, can't wait for the second film, I thought the first was brilliant and stunning. (And I just watched it at home)

I am a huge fan of the David Lynch version, specifically the v3 Spicediver edit in leu of an official directors cut, that really turns an unfinished film into a more complete, easier to follow, and much more enjoyable movie.
    Last edited by SM Rollinger; 05-12-2022 at 05:27 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Very, very solid casting for that role.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm a big fan of all the books Frank Herbert wrote. None of the ones his son wrote. The 1984 movie is okay. The 2000 Sci Fi miniseries has a very special place in my heart both because it gets the heart and meaning of the novel and because I'm nostalgic for low budget scifi from that era. If you're not, it might seem kinda tacky lol.

I immensely enjoyed the new movie. I have to admit I was stoned as fuck when we watched it lol. The vibe and pacing really just lent itself to that.

I wish I could see the new movie from the perspective of someone who is new to the material. I would be very interested to know what they took away from seeing half of it in this format. But I just kinda can't see it with those eyes when Dune is my absolute shit. Very excited for the next one. Hope those that didn't really "get it" from this movie start to do so when it's all put together. It's really just a coming of age story in a complicated political and religious environment.

Dune really has influenced how I see and understand the role of religion in the world to a great extent.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Guys and gals, it was fated to happen.

"If you walk without rhythm, you won't attract the worm"

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Illustrate me: the tweet shows a slate and says that production has begun? Does that mean filming has begun? I associate film slates with actual filming, but I could be absolutely wrong. Either way, super excited about this.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post

Illustrate me: the tweet shows a slate and says that production has begun? Does that mean filming has begun? I associate film slates with actual filming, but I could be absolutely wrong. Either way, super excited about this.
    Yes, filming has begun. I came across a very blurry pic of Florence Pugh on set. She plays Princess Irulan.

Article about filming starting and the latest cast additions: https://variety.com/2022/film/news/d...is-1235319029/