Thread: Frank Herbert's Dune

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    As opposed to James Patterson's Dune?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    sigh. that twitter comparison is everything I didn't like about the trailer. it's just showing the old movie in a new way. I was trying to explain it to my wife. it's kind of like a meme: you take an image and add your own text and the two together make a new third item, yeah? this trailer is like that where they took images from the previous movie and added some new elements to make a new thing for the trailer. I love the 1984 film, I have very fond memories of watching it on Saturday afternoon when it was on television. I don't know. I'm still excited to see this. all of the parts that said "we're new and original" were very fun to see and I can't wait.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    I'm incredibly thrown off by the worm design and I just can't settle with the cast at this point. I really like half of these actors, whereas I really dislike the other. I hope they amp it up with the set pieces, too as the world looks rather dull and empty at this point. Can't really put my finger on it, but this trailer does very little for me eventhough I was very excited to finally see some footage. But my faith in Villeneuve remains unbroken.

Also I'm a bit confused on which version of the Lynch movie to watch? The TV-series is forgettable, I guess? So what's the definitive watch to refresh my Dune mind these days?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    I'm incredibly thrown off by the worm design and I just can't settle with the cast at this point. I really like half of these actors, whereas I really dislike the other. I hope they amp it up with the set pieces, too as the world looks rather dull and empty at this point. Can't really put my finger on it, but this trailer does very little for me eventhough I was very excited to finally see some footage. But my faith in Villeneuve remains unbroken.

Also I'm a bit confused on which version of the Lynch movie to watch? The TV-series is forgettable, I guess? So what's the definitive watch to refresh my Dune mind these days?
    do not watch the extended version of david lynch's (alan smithee's) dune. david lynch disowned it completely.

re: the new movie - a lot of people have taken issue with the fact that herbert's original novels borrowed a LOT from arab and islamic culture and that, while the cast is thankfully not all-white, there's not a single actor of middle-eastern descent present, nor any acknowledgement of the importance of that culture on its story.

here's a great article on syfy about it (written last year). hopefully the author will write a new article or an update in regards to the movie actually coming out.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    do not watch the extended version of david lynch's (alan smithee's) dune. david lynch disowned it completely.

re: the new movie - a lot of people have taken issue with the fact that herbert's original novels borrowed a LOT from arab and islamic culture and that, while the cast is thankfully not all-white, there's not a single actor of middle-eastern descent present, nor any acknowledgement of the importance of that culture on its story.

here's a great article on syfy about it (written last year). hopefully the author will write a new article or an update in regards to the movie actually coming out.
    My friend, don't take this personally but I have very strong feelings about this,

First of all, I don't remember any of the characters being referred to as middle-eastern in the book, On the other hand, the desert scenes were filmed in Jordan so I'm willing to bet that a lot of the extras are going to be from that region.

It's absolutely true that Herbert borrowed extensively from both Arab and Islamic cultures. This has never been a problem, ever, However, there are some who are complaining that in the trailer, Paul talks about a "cruisade" coming, instead of a jihad. The word jihad appears many times in the book and it's how the Fremen revolt is described. But in today's context, the word jihad has taken a very charged, negative connotation and I think this is why we're hearing about a cruisade instead. Both words refer to religious war anyway. The Fremen jihad in incredibly violent too. Remember Alia, all dressed in her black veils and armed with her crysknife, stabbing soldiers left and right from her 3 foot height? What a glorious image that was. Arabs and Muslims must be so proud to be depicted as a people who send armed children to war. (sarcasm, for those who can't recognize it).

The wonderful elements owed to the Arabic culture will be there, no doubts about it. The problematical stuff? Maybe not. Let's wait and see.

Still, she was glorious!

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    My friend, don't take this personally but I have very strong feelings about this,
    no offense taken at all! i have no stake in the argument, i was just bringing something to the table that i've seen a lot of people talking about. glad to hear your thoughts on it!

alia stabbing all those soldiers is literally my favorite part of the movie, btw. it's amazing.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Nothing to see here....

Nope.

Dune delayed to Oct 1, 2021.
    ​K BYE!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    just saw that, and also saw they're thinking about moving Batman as well.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    In other news: I HATE EVERYONE AND EVERYTHING.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Good, now I have time to read a book beforehand.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Good, now I have time to read a book beforehand.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I feel like the person to update that meme with "2020 years later" will have a hit on their hands.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Bless the Maker and His Water!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

how does that look more like DUNC?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Haha seriously. Let’s make that little dot that’s part of the E even fainter! That’s the ticket!

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    This should be a lesson to all graphic designers out there. No matter how clever your font/lettering idea is, if people can't read it - let it go and do something else.

Also:

Last edited by fillow; 03-03-2021 at 12:51 AM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    There was not enough space (haha) to add the last "e" to DUNCE.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Official Legendary twitter acct is posting official posters of each character, looks sharp. Trailer will be online Friday after it premieres at the IMAX events.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Well!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    There was not enough space (haha) to add the last "e" to DUNCE.
    DUNC must refer to Jason Momoa's character, Duncan. There should be a scene where Dunc is eating some spiced crumb donuts.... the type that are sand-like. We could just call it the Dunc and donuts scene. He might even operate an entire donut factory, for he who controls the spiced crumb donuts, controls the universe.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Two tracks from the Dune soundtrack have been made available:

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Hans Zimmer Composed a Second ‘Dune’ Score for Film’s Massive Behind-the-Scenes Book
    The limited edition of the new making-of "Dune" book will cost fans just under $600. It's that big.
    Just how massive is Denis Villeneuve’s upcoming “Dune” adaptation? Apparently it’s big enough to inspire two original Hans Zimmer scores. It was already known that Oscar winner Zimmer was composing the original score for Villeneuve’s “Dune” theatrical release, but now io9 confirms Zimmer has written additional and separate original score music inspired by the making-of “Dune” book that is being published in tandem with the film’s October release.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    [QUOTE=Alexandros;540266]Two tracks from the Dune soundtrack have been made available:

I just listened to the songs, and WOW. This soundtrack is going to be amazing. I will probably get the vinyl for this. Thanks for sharing.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Do we know if this is an adaptation of the first book only, or does it pull stuff from the whole series?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Do we know if this is an adaptation of the first book only, or does it pull stuff from the whole series?
    It’s half of the first book in the series.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I saw he's thinking of a trilogy of the first book being two movies and the second book being the third. is it doable? Should he have done the LotR thing and film them all? or does it work better for the actors to age up a bit?

Need to read the books.