Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Frank Herbert's Dune

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

Frank Herbert's Dune

I think it's time we have a thread for this.

As @Alexandros has posted in the Random News thread, Denis Villeneuve has been confirmed as director to the Dune remake.

Link to prove I'm not making this up

So let's talk about Arrakis, past and present. I love the extended cut of David Lynch version because even though the special effects are not quite finished, it makes the story easier to understand. I hate the Dune mini-series because it's really really bad but I love the sequel, Children of Dune which is much better.

When I first heard about a remake, I was very much against it. I was expecting another disaster and there's nothing I hate more than seeing a beloved book being made into a disastrous movie. But now Denis Villeneuve is directing and he can do no wrong so I'm more than willing to give him a chance. However, we still have to see the Blade Runner sequel...

Who do you see in the cast? I think Kyle MacLachlan will be hard to replace; so will be Brad Dourif and Dean Stockwell.

What about Kyle MacLachlan as Leto? Too gimmicky?

I've read all the books, by the way. Several times. I just love them.

So let's have at it!

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I still want to see the film version that Alejandro Jodorowsky wanted to do. I mean come on! Orson Welles as Baron Harkonnen, Mick Jagger as Feyd-Rutha, with David Carradine, Amanda Lear, Gloria Swanson, and Salvador Dali in the film with visual effects by Dan O'Bannon, art work by H.R. Giger, Chris Foss, and Jean Geraud, and music by Pink Floyd. It would've been fucking awesome. I hope Villeneuve's version is more like that.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    I think it's time we have a thread for this.

As @Alexandros has posted in the Random News thread, Denis Villeneuve has been confirmed as director to the Dune remake.

Link to prove I'm not making this up

So let's talk about Arrakis, past and present. I love the extended cut of David Lynch version because even though the special effects are not quite finished, it makes the story easier to understand. I hate the Dune mini-series because it's really really bad but I love the sequel, Children of Dune which is much better.

When I first heard about a remake, I was very much against it. I was expecting another disaster and there's nothing I hate more than seeing a beloved book being made into a disastrous movie. But now Denis Villeneuve is directing and he can do no wrong so I'm more than willing to give him a chance. However, we still have to see the Blade Runner sequel...

Who do you see in the cast? I think Kyle MacLachlan will be hard to replace; so will be Brad Dourif and Dean Stockwell.

What about Kyle MacLachlan as Leto? Too gimmicky?

I've read all the books, by the way. Several times. I just love them.

So let's have at it!
    I don't want Jared Leto anywhere near this film (films?). You know how I feel about the mini series. For those who don't know about the mini series, just avoid it like a plague.
    I have faith that Denis would do the movie justice, although, I would have loved to seen Alfonso Cuarón direct it. He directed the perfect novel to film adaption of, Children of Men, and I think his directing abilities would have been perfect for adapting the novels into a properly made and updated movie or movie series. Oh well we will see how good the Blade Runner sequel will be soon enough.

Brain Herbert, the son of the late author Frank Herbert,... Intriguingly, Herbert describes it as a “Dune series film project” which seems to suggest there will be more than one installment, which in this world of franchises, and the sprawling nature of the source material, seems to make sense.
    I swear if Brian Herbert is a consultant for this film it might suck. He was one of the people involved with the horrible prequel novels. So I am a little worried that he might be attached to the remake of Dune. Time will tell as well as how much involvement and influence he will have for the movies.

Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I still want to see the film version that Alejandro Jodorowsky wanted to do. I mean come on! Orson Welles as Baron Harkonnen, Mick Jagger as Feyd-Rutha, with David Carradine, Amanda Lear, Gloria Swanson, and Salvador Dali in the film with visual effects by Dan O'Bannon, art work by H.R. Giger, Chris Foss, and Jean Geraud, and music by Pink Floyd. It would've been fucking awesome. I hope Villeneuve's version is more like that.
    I agree but that whole concept you stated seems outdated. Some of those people you mentioned are dead but I know what you mean. For it's time it would have been perfect.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I can't tell you all how excited I am by the prospect of another adaptation of this amazing book (my ETS username will give you a hint of how important this work is to me - to a similar degree as NIN, to be honest). But as others have said, I do worry that if "they" don't get this right, it might be the last we see of Dune on film forever.

The only Villeneuve film I've seen is Enemy, which I loved, so I don't know if he's the right pick, but I do know that he is a fan, so he will know what the franchise means to the rest of us. I am certainly more excited at the prospect of a Villeneuve adaptation, than I was at the idea of a Peter Berg version, back when that was a real possibility.

Can the greater franchise ever work on film, though? I think the core series will work up to God Emperor, and as much as I would love to see that book on film, I'm not sure it is actually film-able! The last two books would work as much as the first three would, I feel. But the prequels, sequels and intequels are another matter entirely. Sure they'd make great action films, but would anyone want to see them? What's the best route to take insofar as the non-core books go?

(I can see the first book getting a trilogy treatment, to be honest, and if they're wildly successful, further books-to-films from there. But, the idea of the "project" extending to features beyond core-Dune would surprise me. For those works, perhaps TV, but not features.)

Ohmygoodness, thank you ever so much for this thread. I am SO EXCITED!

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    There could still be an animated version of Alejandro Jodorowsky's Dune, which he even mentioned in the documentary. If only someone would fund it.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I didn't hate the 2000 miniseries, although it definitely was lackluster and I do agree the Children of Dune part was better. Lynch's vision did capture the epicness more effectively but was far too all over the place to be coherent.
    @muad'nin If they devote a full trilogy only on the first book that would be more than enough, but I don't think that's very probable.

The way the announcement has been made almost definitely implies movies, but I do think that Dune lends itself very well to a multi-season show, especially this period of very well produced network shows. It would be the perfect vessel to give the story the room to breathe it so desperately requires. But I guess such an approach for Dune may be too big a strain on the budget of a network show. Anyway, another go at movies is fine by me! And Villeneuve has been showing great signs so far, so it seems we're off to a good start.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
    I didn't hate the 2000 miniseries, although it definitely was lackluster and I do agree the Children of Dune part was better. Lynch's vision did capture the epicness more effectively but was far too all over the place to be coherent.
    @muad'nin If they devote a full trilogy only on the first book that would be more than enough, but I don't think that's very probable.

The way the announcement has been made almost definitely implies movies, but I do think that Dune lends itself very well to a multi-season show, especially this period of very well produced network shows. It would be the perfect vessel to give the story the room to breathe it so desperately requires. But I guess such an approach for Dune may be too big a strain on the budget of a network show. Anyway, another go at movies is fine by me! And Villeneuve has been showing great signs so far, so it seems we're off to a good start.
    Totally agree, on all counts.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    There could still be an animated version of Alejandro Jodorowsky's Dune, which he even mentioned in the documentary. If only someone would fund it.
    If I was a rich man, I'd fund the shit out of that. We could get voice actors as some of the people who are no longer here. Hell, Orson Welles was going to do the film because Jodorowsky offered him the chef at a restaurant that Welles ate regularly to cook for him exclusively. How fucking cool is that?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ziltoid View Post
    I don't want Jared Leto anywhere near this film (films?).
    i'm confused...who said anything about jared leto? @marodi suggested Kyle MacLachlan as Leto Atreides

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    I assume you've watched this already based on your comment. Everyone should see it. Fantastic documentary about filmmaking, the behind the scenes drama, Jodorowsky's passion and alot more. I don't even care about Dune at all and I loved it.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    That documentary introduced me to who Jodorowsky is as I've seen all of his films, with the exception of his most recent one Endless Poetry, as I think the man is a genius. I would hope he would release the script and all of the drawings for the film into a book.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Yeah I miss read that.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I do want to see this one; Lynch's version has lots of flaws (still i like it...) and Jodorowsky's version was a dream that never came true.

I think it could be great, not sure about the cast but i got no problems with Jared Leto (except in Suicide Squad...)

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)
    I would only see this if it had Jared from Subway.

And considering that he's in prison for a long time, I guess that means I won't be seeing yet another failed attempt to make a movie out of a book that can never be a good movie.

Even with Sting in his weird underpants.
    Last edited by allegro; 02-12-2017 at 03:23 PM.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    i would like to see Jodorowsky's version
    -louie

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    That documentary introduced me to who Jodorowsky is as I've seen all of his films, with the exception of his most recent one Endless Poetry, as I think the man is a genius. I would hope he would release the script and all of the drawings for the film into a book.
    from what i heard there was talk of this and a soundtrack and concept art. i guess geiger's death and eastate caused complication, as well as pink floyd. ongoing legal issues.
    -louie

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Thank you everyone for your input!

I'd really love to see this becoming a franchise but its reputation as being unadaptable is still strong. Too many characters, too many alien concepts, too many themes etc. But that has been said about The Lord of the Rings too and then Peter Jackson happened. Let's hope Villeneuve is going to do the same thing for Dune.

I've always wondered how God Emperor of Dune could be done. I want to see how they could render Leto II in his worm form without having it look like a gigantic penis with a human face. In the miniseries, they seemed to imply that he would totally transform into a worm, without any human characteristics because you could see at the very end that Leto's teeth were becoming... worm-like.

As for cast: I've come to the conclusion that Jessica Chastain must play the Lady Jessica and that Maisie Williams must play Chani. Like, absolutely.
    @allegro Sting in his weird understand still confuses me to this day.

However the casting goes, I believe they will never be able to top Alicia Witt as Alia. She was glorious!

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Not enough action as well... There are very large parts of the first book where nothing is going on, where you just can't show anything, and it gets worse as you advance in the following volumes.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Not enough action as well... There are very large parts of the first book where nothing is going on, where you just can't show anything, and it gets worse as you advance in the following volumes.
    I agree @Khrz which I think is part of the reason the Lynch version introduced so many non-canonical elements (Weirding Modules, Paul's god-like powers, etc.). If nothing else, than to liven it up, allow for narrative shortcuts and a give it a "Hollywood" ending.

I think the overuse of internal monologues in Lynch's Dune (mainly from Paul) was another consequence of the "you just can't show anything" aspect to much of the book. I do wonder how any future adaptations will tackle this, as the original book itself uses Paul's internal musings quite a bit as a device to provide exposition.

It'll be fascinating to see how Villeneuve approaches this, for sure!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    However the casting goes, I believe they will never be able to top Alicia Witt as Alia. She was glorious!
    She was! In fact, I reckon one of the most appealing things about the Lynch adaptation was the almost spot-on casting in many instances (Jessica, Leto, Chani, Alia, Piter, ... even Paul (he was certainly a better Paul than Alec Newman)). There were some mis-steps, but on the whole I feel that they nailed the casting there.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    A little bit of news has come our way, with word of a potential screenwriter making the rounds -

http://www.blastr.com/2017-4-5/denis...g-screenwriter

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Denis Villeneuve turned down directing Bond 25 because he did not want to back down from Dune:

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/01/den...ig-1201912537/

I'm so proud of my fellow Québécois!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Some news is starting to trickle through now, largely from Brian Herbert’s Twitter. It’s worth a follow.

Confirmation that the novel will be split into two for the film -

http://www.syfy.com/syfywire/dune-re...lf-of-the-book

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    We are getting one hell of a cast, people!

Update here: https://www.esquire.com/entertainmen...-details-news/

Momoa as Duncan Idaho? I'm running around screaming too. Idaho is my favorite character and a most important one because... if you've read the books, you know why.

This has better be good!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I'm still not sold on Momoa in anything i've seen, but i'll give him a chance in this, the rest of the cast is STELLA!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    David Dastmalchian just got cast and it sounds like it will be his most substantial role to date. I just went from six to midnight.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Forgot to mention that I've also been cast in this. Super excited!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ltrandazzo View Post
    Forgot to mention that I've also been cast in this. Super excited!
    You too??!?!! Can't wait to see you on set!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Wait, does Duncan even appear in the first book? It's been a while since I read it, but I feel like he was "Sir Not Appearing In This Book", oft mentioned but never actually there. He didn't show up until Dune Messiah.

Momoa in a bit part in the first movie makes sense, but if they wanted to continue with later books he's a weird choice to carry the entire series, given how important Duncan becomes.