Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Fuck.

March 15, 2024
    pain-knights-tale.gif

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    So how exactly the strike affects movies that are presumably 100% completed? Is it just because they (actors) wouldn't be able to promote the film on the red carpets and late night talk shows?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    So how exactly the strike affects movies that are presumably 100% completed? Is it just because they (actors) wouldn't be able to promote the film on the red carpets and late night talk shows?
    It's also pretty standard to need to reshoot some scenes as they get into editing and realize they didn't quite get what they wanted.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Even more so, studios know it'd be a bad look (and possibly a hit to ticket sales) to release a major movie during a strike where the actors within it are currently on strike.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Even more so, studios know it'd be a bad look (and possibly a hit to ticket sales) to release a major movie during a strike where the actors within it are currently on strike.
    The studios clearly don't care how their decisions make them look. The bottom line is all they care about.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I mean, Blue Beetle was certainly affected by the lack of promotion the cast could do.

you know, on top of the whole "this movie doesn't actually matter" announcement that James Gunn did back when he changed from the DCEU to the DCU.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    I've been on a mission to watch or rewatch everything David Lynch, and I watched his Dune for the first time last month.
    I almost liked it! and totally agree with Lynch (and probably everyone else) that him not having the final cut ruined the film. I also watched lots of making-of docos and featurettes, and the amount of stuff they cut from the story (second half especially) just to fit it into strict length requirements is astounding.
    I've also read a rumor that after years and years of refusing to have anything to do with it, David is thinking of revisiting the movie and possibly making a new cut with whatever was filmed... fingers crossed.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Holy actual shit. I'll take all of this ya got.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Spoilerish for those who care. Looks awesome!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Stayin' dark on this for sure. Can't wait.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    So, Anya Taylor Joy plays a "major character" in Dune : Part Two.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/a...235912248/amp/

Gee, I wonder which character that could be... Not.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Ah yes, the guild navigator finally revelaed (j/k)

Do you think it's gonna be CGI trickery, or just different version of a character altogether?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    It would be pretty ballsy to just use forced perspective to compensate.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Ah yes, the guild navigator finally revelaed (j/k)

Do you think it's gonna be CGI trickery, or just different version of a character altogether?
    Sorry for the late reply! The answer is "adult" and I'll leave it to that.

TWO DAYS.

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Saw it yesterday and left mindblown. Yes, it is too short and too long at the same time, too shallow and too complex all at once, but visually I have seen nothing that baffled me this much apart from the first movie. If you forget the fact that the book is much more complex and if you see it as an accoustically and visually stunning two-movie sci-fi epic, then there's little else that comes close. And heck, they don't make these big sci-fi movies as much as they should these days. And if they do, nobody cares was with The Creator.

I'm very happy with this one apart from some minor things that could have been handled a little better (maybe adding 15 minutes even) and a few pacing oddities, but I certainly want more from Denis Villeneuve! But he should definitely take his time as I thought Part 2 came a little bit too soon after it has been uncertain if we'd even get a second movie.

Now I just hope they handle that Bene Gesserit show with just as much care later this year.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    The IMAX screening I went to yesterday was unreal. Just gutted there’s no 70mm near me.

Also, dunno if it’s been mentioned before but some stuff from Part Two was filmed during Part One, so maybe that’s why the gestation on the second film was shorter

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    [dramatic lamentation intensifies]

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Epic, epic stuff! As @dlb said, there will be minor gripes here and there, but Villeneuve did a great job with adapting the material to create a thrilling, coherent and meaningful story. Book-reader me occasionally squirmed at how fast things were moving along, scenes were played out and at certain minor or bigger changes, but it was only a momentary feeling and, really, ALL changes make sense.

Audio-visually, what is there to say? Pure bliss. Everything is beautifully made and everything sounds amazing.

So much wait for Dune Messiah now...very, very curious as to how that part of the story will be handled.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    No way in hell does Feyd Rautha survive a Gom Jabbar trial, that's all I have to say.

Which says a lot, because that's probably my major gripe with the film and it's completely inconsequential, so...

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandros View Post
    So much wait for Dune Messiah now...very, very curious as to how that part of the story will be handled.
    After the credits I kept thinking about how releasing a story about oppressed space Bedouins victoriously burning the corpses of their enemies and going on a holy war is kind of awkward right now, no matter what's your opinion on the actual current geo-political situation. Dune Messiah would bring a little needed subtlety to the narrative arch. Especially since Villeneuve decided to cut all the oh-hum internal and temporal back and forth, which makes it seem like no one has any second thoughts about their decisions.
    Last edited by Khrz; 03-09-2024 at 05:28 AM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Just got back from my first viewing of Part Two

I remember following the course of this thing ever since Peter Berg was attached to directing, never believing that I’d actually see a final product that lived-up to how my favourite novel appeared in my mind’s eye. Sure, it ain’t perfect, but no film ever is. What these two films represent to me, though, is the best possible adaptation I could ever hope to see. Minor gripes aside, the thing is a dream come true for me, and I’m just glad that I survived to 2024 to see it completed.

My love for the series lives in hope that Messiah becomes a financial smash, and DV has no choice but to continue with the series. It’s selfish of me, but if he made nothing but Dune adaptations for the rest of his working career, I’d be blissful. It’s the year 2037 and Chapterhouse debuts to stellar reviews and box office………

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    Dune Messiah would bring a little needed subtlety to the narrative arch. Especially since Villeneuve decided to cut all the oh-hum internal and temporal back and forth, which makes it seem like no one has any second thoughts about their decisions.
    I'm sure this will be addressed properly. I'm mostly curious about the more...exotic aspects of the story. So far Villeneuve mostly tones down the strangeness, but it would require significant workarounds to the story if he wants to avoid them in Messiah as well.