Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Frank Herbert's Dune

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    I saw he's thinking of a trilogy of the first book being two movies and the second book being the third. is it doable? Should he have done the LotR thing and film them all? or does it work better for the actors to age up a bit?

Need to read the books.

Aging won't be a thing, the biggest age issue is that Paul is 15 at the beginning of the book, which is easily ignored if you have him older to begin with.

It would be weird to film the first two books and not intend to do at least the third, since all of these resolve in roughly the same time period.
    Last edited by Alexandros; 08-27-2021 at 01:10 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I saw he's thinking of a trilogy of the first book being two movies and the second book being the third. is it doable? Should he have done the LotR thing and film them all? or does it work better for the actors to age up a bit?

Need to read the books.
    I hadn’t heard that, but it’s certainly doable!

Book 2, Dune Messiah, is set 12 years after Dune.
    Book 3, Children of Dune, is set 9 years after Dune Messiah, should that be adapted. Also doable.

Except for any child characters (kids age and change physically quite quickly, after 12 years), the same actors could be used I’d imagine.

Largely different story for book 4, if that were to be adapted. There’s a 3500 year time gap there, lol!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    hmm, I feel like you might know what you're talking about Mr. My-Name-is-a-Killing-Word. :P

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    hmm, I feel like you might know what you're talking about Mr. My-Name-is-a-Killing-Word. :P
    LOL! Dune; NIN…

“…these are a few of my favourite things”

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    @muad'nin does indeed knows about what he's talking about.

I'd just like to add that we often forget that other adapation of Dune, the one that was done for Sci Fi in 2000. It was a 3 parts series and it was so much worse than the Lynch movie, in my opinion.

However, it was followed by Children of Dune. Also a 3 parts series, the first part was dedicated to the events of Dune Messiah. Now this series is a great improvement although not without some cringworthy moments. The major change it makes from the novel is that they have aged the twins, Leto II and Ghanima, from 10 years old to young adults.

If you are inclined to watch it, wait until after the Dune movie because spoilers!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    @muad'nin does indeed knows about what he's talking about.

I'd just like to add that we often forget that other adapation of Dune, the one that was done for Sci Fi in 2000. It was a 3 parts series and it was so much worse than the Lynch movie, in my opinion.

However, it was followed by Children of Dune. Also a 3 parts series, the first part was dedicated to the events of Dune Messiah. Now this series is a great improvement although not without some cringworthy moments. The major change it makes from the novel is that they have aged the twins, Leto II and Ghanima, from 10 years old to young adults.

If you are inclined to watch it, wait until after the Dune movie because spoilers!
    That’s so true! Both of those mini-series often get overlooked.

I do love the score for Children of Dune, as an aside… Plus, a young James McAvoy features as one of the leads.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

it's been previewed. Man I cannot wait to watch this.

also am I weird for loving Dune having only watched the movie? When the series came out I was married and my wife has a huge hate on for Dune because it was her stepfather's favorite book/movie and I never bothered.

https://www.pdxmonthly.com/arts-and-...i-classic-dune

Did not know that until today, pretty cool.
    Last edited by allegate; 09-04-2021 at 01:50 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Review are out for Dune and it’s very good it seems (85% on RT). FWIW it got a seven minute standing ovation at the Venice film festival.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    FYI Apple Music has the Dune Sketchbook and it's Lossless / Atmos.

apologies if this has been posted:

https://insighteditions.com/pages/dune-le

Last edited by allegate; 09-05-2021 at 08:36 PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I am very much looking forward to letting this movie wash over me in IMAX!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I've listened to the soundtrack four times now and it's pretty amazing. Long too*, wow. Anyway it's probably the most avant-garde thing that he's done. The Atmos mix really does a number on you too because there's some real immersion in most of the songs.

I don't see how this is music from the soundtrack because there's some real discordant work going on. Like, how would you cut a scene to match? It just makes me that much more excited for the movie.

1. Song of the Sisters (16:25)
    2. I See You in My Dreams (18:25)
    3. House Atreides (13:54)
    4. The Shortening of the Way (11:14)
    5. Paul’s Dream (7:03)
    6. Moon over Caladan (8:34)
    7. Shai-hulud (9:47)
    8. Mind-killer (11:11)
    9. Grains of Sand (5:12)
    *Apparently a two-disc CD set?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I've listened to the soundtrack four times now and it's pretty amazing.
    I'm listening to it now and I really like what I'm hearing! Just came to say that the House Atreides theme (what sounds like the actual theme starts at around the 5:10 mark) is kickass and quite different than anything I can readily think from Hans Zimmer. Can't wait to hear the music in the appropriate context.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Haven't read the books but this was by far the best movie I've seen this year. Got me so invested in the worldbuilding I might pick up the book now in the long wait for Part 2...

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    The actual Dune soundtrack is out so I'm listening to it now.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    The actual Dune soundtrack is out so I'm listening to it now.
    I'm sure the official soundtrack will accompany the movie well, but for the time being I find Dune Sketchbook more enjoyable as a listening experience. And I'm bummed to see (or rather, hear) that certain themes and motifs from the Sketchbook are either very short, subdued or even completely missing from the movie soundtrack! Oh well...at least the music exists for us to hear and did not end up in the trash can.
    Last edited by Alexandros; 09-20-2021 at 06:06 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I think it's a Zimmer thing, he also released a Wonder Woman Sketchbook and there was something like that on the Amazing Spider-Man soundtrack he worked on as well as on the Deluxe Man of Steel.

Hey it's also on Atmos, gonna download it for tomorrow.

Last edited by allegate; 09-22-2021 at 05:43 PM.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow (after film was postponed) View Post
    Good, now I have time to read a book beforehand.
    Boy, am I glad that I did! It would be a non-stop WTF-ride for me if I'd seen the film without knowing the book. The quote above about it being too fast and too slow at the same time is spot on. I won't elaborate on that to avoid spoilers.

I wondered why no one discusses the film and only just now realized that US release date is a whole month later than the international. (I've seen it last week).

One thing is for sure: it looks and sounds fucking fantastic.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Something Underneath View Post
    Haven't read the books but this was by far the best movie I've seen this year. Got me so invested in the worldbuilding I might pick up the book now in the long wait for Part 2...
    I think this might be the first movie I see in the theaters since Covid. I'm fully vaccinated, and I'll wear my mask, and I'll go to a matinee or something... but I need to see this movie.
    Dune is one of my favorite books, and I've always considered it to be "unfilmable."
    None of the adaptations have done it ANY justice really, and I say this as someone who loves David Lynch.

But everything about this project has had me excited and really optimistic.
    And yeah, if you walked away from the movie feeling in awe of some of its worldbuilding, despite not being familiar with the books, that's the best sort of thumbs up.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    I've booked the friday off (i also get paid) so i can enjoy this thing with as few people around me (i prefer emptier cinemas and always go super early) very VERY much looking forward to this!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)

Oh dear...

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Really pissed that there is no IMAX in this city anymore because that movie was massive!

Really enjoyed it although I had really low expectations as I'm not truly digging the cast and it went on a tad too long in it's last 45 minutes... Oscar Isaac was amazing in this, so were Rebecca Fergusson and Timothee Chalamet. The rest of the actors didn't do much for me apart from Bardem, but I guess his time to shine will come in part two (if there is one).

The set pieces were amazing, the Harkonnen looked badass, the spaceships, cities... just amazing! Only the Sardaukar looked a little too tame and not really menacing for my taste. Their introduction was one of my favorite scenes though. It might also be the first time in ages that I truly enjoyed a Hans Zimmer score. He (or his countless minions) really knocked it out of the park with this one. I still have it ringing in my ears today.

Looking forward to dig into the art books that are about to be released and I keep my fingers crossed for part two.

Go see this in the biggest cinema possible! And in case some of you are wondering: Yes, it could stand on it's own, but the last third isn't exciting enough to give you full closure, so I do hope they deliver on their promise with the title card saying "part one".
    Last edited by dlb; 10-06-2021 at 07:47 AM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    since you mention the art books:
    the soundtrack to the book is free if you sign up.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Booked my tickets! They just started selling here with the movie premiering next week, but already seats are selling pretty fast. No IMAX screens in my city either, at least there is Dolby Atmos and the word on the grapevine is that sound is maybe as equally important as screen size for this one.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Apparently Mondo will announce a Dune OST vinyl on Monday (that's my theory), the OP mentions in the comments that "All Will Be Answered on Monday"

https://twitter.com/MondoNews/status...33987434909699

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Sorry for the double post: Mondo just announced they are going to release a triple vinyl of the Dune Sketchbook soundtrack, not the motion picture soundtrack, and I think this is great! as @Alexandros mentioned, the Sketchbook music fleshes out more the different themes and motifs. It goes on sale Wednesday noon CT. Great news.
    https://mondoshop.com/blogs/news/the...l-on-sale-info

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    I refuse to even consider the idea that I might get one. I would love to of course but I can't be disappointed if I don't try. that's the college way, right?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I refuse to even consider the idea that I might get one. I would love to of course but I can't be disappointed if I don't try. that's the college way, right?
    Are these Mondo vinyls really hard to get? It’s the first time I get one, I plan to be there on time.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    limited to 3k copies for the entire world? yeah they go fast. like, less than a minute fast.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    Are these Mondo vinyls really hard to get? It’s the first time I get one, I plan to be there on time.
    If by hard, you mean damn near impossible, then yes. Same goes for their posters, too. I don't even bother anymore because you'll be lucky enough to get one in your cart the second they go on sale and get excited, but by the time you've clicked "Checkout," they'll have removed it from your cart because they're sold out. I bet half of that 3,000 will go to scalpers and there will be at least 50 on eBay within an hour of them going on sale. But don't let me discourage you from trying; you should try. Good luck.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    OK that was all over in less than a minute, I was worried for nothing I guess. in for one.