Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Frank Herbert's Dune

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Ok, I know nothing about Dune, but these visuals are realllly intriguing me. Is there anywhere else I should start besides the 1984 film?
    I would really recommend reading the book

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    Ok, I know nothing about Dune, but these visuals are realllly intriguing me. Is there anywhere else I should start besides the 1984 film? Is this a sequel?
    The book, definitely. It's one of sci-fi masterpieces anyway.

I love the pics. Seeing Chalamet in a stillsuit really helps; I am finally starting to see him as Muad'Dib. Chalamet is a very talented actor, there's no denying that but I admit I had a hard time imagining him as a hardened Fremen warrior. He's just... too pretty. I have confidence that Dune's unforgiving sun and sand will do a number on that porcelain skin.

And those pics also seemed to confirm a little theory I have: where Villeneuve will end his first movie. If you've read the book, it's evident. If you haven't, I'm not going to spoil it for you.

I'd like to point out that there is no casting on this movie for Alia and there is no way Villeneuve has cut her out from the story.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. Seeing that David Lynch directed the original film, with Kyle McLachlan starring puts a smile on my face. Needed some new reading material so this is perfect.

Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nodylnai View Post
    @Self.Destructive.Pattern I would start with the book, it's amazing. The 1984 film has a lot of differences and, while I appreciate it in a number of ways, is not exactly 'good' as much as a guilty pleasure. This is a new adaptation of the first book. Well, half of it or so.

There are going to be 2 movies, so they should be able to cover a lot of territory while not getting all Hobbitt on it. I've had the urge to watch the Lynch version again lately. Going to soon, mainly because I"m on a David Lynch bender.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I really enjoy Lynch's movie. There are good things in it. And I looove the soundtrack. I have it on CD and I often listen to it.

In 2000, the Sci Fi Channel (as we wrote it at the time) did a 3 parts miniseries with Dune. I did not like it very much. However, they also did a sequel called Children of Dune in 2003. It was 3 parts also, the first one being based on Dune Messiah. That series is really good. The actress playing Alia was amazing.

The major change they made for the series is that they aged the twins. Instead of being 10, they are young adults. Leto II was played by some unknown young actor by the name of James McAvoy, and we got to see the beginning of his transformation into the God Emperor.

Made for TV with so so special effects but still very entertaining.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I remember Christmas shopping at Egghead Software. I picked out the Dune PC game for my dad, but I think I was the only one at home that ever played it.
    The soundtrack really stood out, and still sounds good today.
    PC playlist:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...693553826B8892

The Amiga version of the soundtrack was a bit different:

Adlib soundtrack:

There's also this thing, which is neither the PC nor the Amiga version:

Dune history:
    https://www.filfre.net/2018/11/contr...ge-and-screen/

https://www.filfre.net/2018/11/contr...-2-cryos-dune/

There's also a part 3.
    Last edited by Findus; 04-15-2020 at 01:37 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    I thought I found this here on ETS before but search doesn't think so...

Why should you read “Dune” by Frank Herbert? - Dan Kwartler
    Discover Frank Herbert’s science fiction classic, “Dune,” which tells the story of a man catapulted into the middle of a planetary revolution.

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Can't miss the opportunity to plug this here for all my homies

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    New image of Paul training.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    First footage of Dune to be shown at the re-release of Inception on July 17. Trailer rumored to be shown at the virtual Comic-Con.

https://theplaylist.net/dune-sneak-p...lease-20200616

It's better be true or I might go full Rabban the Beast on them!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Yusssssssss

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    This makes me feel tingly in my cockles.. . .

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Dune still on track for its December 18th release, according to Villeneuve.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/08/du...234577580/amp/

That's really nice to know. Do you know what else would be nice?

A GODDAMN TRAILER.

*must contain inner Rabban*

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Dune's official trailer to officially drop online September 9. WB said so so it's officially official.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/08/du...234582955/amp/

I'll believe it when I see it. Oh and teaser trailer will be shown in theater before Tenet.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    Dune's official trailer to officially drop online September 9. WB said so so it's officially official.

https://www.indiewire.com/2020/08/du...234582955/amp/

I'll believe it when I see it. Oh and teaser trailer will be shown in theater before Tenet.
    I hope this stupid covid-19 shit doesn't ruin this film's release and financial success.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I haven't read the books yet, but I'd like to start it when I'll see the trailer. I've done the same with Blade Runner and fell in love with it- it's one my favorites. Denis is truly remarkable in creating movies and I believe Dune will be no different. I hope it comes out this year... Definitely going day one!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EJackson89 View Post
    I haven't read the books yet, but I'd like to start it when I'll see the trailer. I've done the same with Blade Runner and fell in love with it- it's one my favorites. Denis is truly remarkable in creating movies and I believe Dune will be no different. I hope it comes out this year... Definitely going day one!
    It's still set to come out on its original release date in December. I'm thinking that how the release of Tenet goes will have an impact on that. That being said, since you're not familiar at all with the story, the trailer should give you an idea of what's it about. Reading the book for the first time can be challenging, because Herbert created a whole world that we are not familiar with. The first time I read Dune, I spent a lot of time going back and forth to the lexicon. It's a lot like reading The Lord of the Rings for the first time.

But if you stick with it, it becomes an addiction and before you know it, you have devoured the whole series. And then you start over again.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    But if you stick with it, it becomes an addiction and before you know it, you have devoured the whole series. And then you start over again.
    Yeah, I definitely think that the second reading of Dune, when you are generally familiar with all the concepts, characters and terminology, allows for extra layers of enjoyment. You can absorb more details and nuances in the story and world building.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    The litany against fear. You can never go wrong with it.

I can't wait!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Fucking hot.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Holy hell bring it on!

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Yeah. This is the good stuff, alright. Qh my God... this is...

Yeah.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    The sandworms look amazing...and can anyone remind me what character Dave Bautista is playing? (just saw in Wikipedia that he is Rabban, looks menacing!)

Great use of Pink Floyd's Eclipse
    Last edited by cahernandez; 09-09-2020 at 12:14 PM.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cahernandez View Post
    The sandworms look amazing...and can anyone remind me what character Dave Bautista is playing? (just saw in Wikipedia that he is Rabban, looks menacing!)

Great use of Pink Floyd's Eclipse
    Dave plays Rabban Harkonnen, aka Rabban the Beast, nephew of Baron Vladimir Harkonnen. He's a nasty, nasty guy. Not as nasty as Uncle Vlad though.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Don't wanna be that guy but Deadline is reporting that due to (obviously) disappointing ticket sales for Tenet, they're considering delaying Wonder Woman 84....oh and uhh...something...else...until 2021.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Don't wanna be that guy but Deadline is reporting that due to (obviously) disappointing ticket sales for Tenet, they're considering delaying Wonder Woman 84....oh and uhh...something...else...until 2021.
    What's that? I can't hear you!

Imma go watch the trailer again now.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Hook it to my fucking veins!

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Looks good, hope this sees a normal release. Not sure how or when I'd see it in theaters but hopefully I can.

Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    I'm not surprised. This virus shutdown has ruined just about everything.