Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Frank Herbert's Dune

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slopesandsam View Post
    Wait, does Duncan even appear in the first book? It's been a while since I read it, but I feel like he was "Sir Not Appearing In This Book", oft mentioned but never actually there. He didn't show up until Dune Messiah.

Momoa in a bit part in the first movie makes sense, but if they wanted to continue with later books he's a weird choice to carry the entire series, given how important Duncan becomes.
    Without providing too many details, lest I spoil anything for those who haven’t read or seen any of the adaptations, Duncan is most definitely in the original Dune. Check out the Wikipedia synopsis for further details, but that character does appear in the original.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post
    Without providing too many details, lest I spoil anything for those who haven’t read or seen any of the adaptations, Duncan is most definitely in the original Dune. Check out the Wikipedia synopsis for further details, but that character does appear in the original.
    Ah. I still feel like it was a very brief appearance. I remember thinking he was the only member of Leto's retinue that didn't really get fleshed out as a character.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2019/...nis-villeneue/

I’m not sure what to make of this. I think it could be utterly sensational, and the Bene Gesserit are among my favourite “factions” in the universe, so hopes are high. But, I do wonder if it will be an extension of Herbert’s written works, based on one of his novels, or perhaps even the Sisterhood of Dune prequel novel? The article says that it’s set in the same “universe” novel, so perhaps the events of that era told from the BG’s perspective?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post
    https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/2019/...nis-villeneue/

I’m not sure what to make of this. I think it could be utterly sensational, and the Bene Gesserit are among my favourite “factions” in the universe, so hopes are high. But, I do wonder if it will be an extension of Herbert’s written works, based on one of his novels, or perhaps even the Sisterhood of Dune prequel novel? The article says that it’s set in the same “universe” novel, so perhaps the events of that era told from the BG’s perspective?
    I agree. A very interesting and intriguing idea but yeah, there are questions about the source. The Bene Gesserit are central to the Dune universe and having more insight into them would be great for everyone, familiar with the books or not.

Also, after having watched Stellan Skarsgard flawless performance in Chernobyl, I can't wait to see what he is going to do with Baron Harkonnen.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Oh my sweet zombie jesus.

I read online that early descriptions of the footage are completely insane.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    One thing we can all agree on, this will at the very least LOOK ABSOLUTELY STUNNING! It's going to be an IMAX day one!

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    So it's coming out this year? They were adding so many actors to it all through last year that I just assumed it was a 2021 movie. wow.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Clearer image of the key art. Looks gorgeous. Love how it reads the same upside down.

Apparently it's just a rework from the original one earlier in the thread. Still..new wallpaper for me lol.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by allegate View Post
    So it's coming out this year? They were adding so many actors to it all through last year that I just assumed it was a 2021 movie. wow.
    Filming has been done since July 2019 apparently.

This is the most hyped movie for the year for me. I never read the book as I'm not too big into books, but as a kid I loved the David Lynch film. Really enjoyed the Dune RTS games.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    well here's hoping for a Big Game™ commercial.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i keep seeing people make fun of the title text looking like it says "DUNC" and making dunkin' donuts jokes. twitter's having a lot of fun with it haha

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    well here's hoping for a Big Game™ commercial.
    I never thought of that. And now I'm hoping for it.

You and I are going to have words if it doesn't happen.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    oh, I hope they're words I don't know!

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    If it's such an epic as they make us believe than I'm pretty sure we will at least get a small teaser or glimpse of this. I'm actually quite surprised that there haven't been any leaks or production shots. Or are there any?

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    oh, I hope they're words I don't know!

They are going to be French words, my friend, and lots of them! It's my first language after all.

Can I say how proud I am of my fellow Québécois Denis Villeneuve?

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post
    They are going to be French words, my friend, and lots of them! It's my first language after all.

Can I say how proud I am of my fellow Québécois Denis Villeneuve?
    I'll have you know I took four years of French in high school so if you go beyond je m'appelle jean christophe, où est la bibliothèque? then I'm going to be lost.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Hier j'ai vu un baguette mystere dans la Metro Laurier

C'est la verite, ceci n'est pas un shitpost

If he keeps making fantastic movies, they're going to have to name a street or two after him

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    ^^ You bet we will!

Je veux ma bande annonce de Dune, maudit!

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Well, here we are with those nice coats again! And wow, quite not-Dune-y for a first pic... guess this is getting delayed massively though? :/

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    Well, here we are with those nice coats again! And wow, quite not-Dune-y for a first pic... guess this is getting delayed massively though? :/
    So far no word of it moving from its Dec 18 release, though we all know that could still happen lol.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Intrigued by this. I'm a big fan of Villeneuve's work, having not only seen his more recent big-budget stuff but some of his earlier smaller works too. I know not much about the source material other than what I saw in the Jodorowsky doc. I am kind of disappointed someone like Nicolas Winding Refn wasn't given a shot to do this, since he came off almost as passionate for the project as Jodo himself.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dlb View Post
    Well, it's a pic of Paul being mopey in a nice coat while walking on a beach of his home world of Caladan. I get him though; if I was forced to leave this paradise for the inferno of Arrakis, I'd be mopey too.

And he doesn't know what's in store for him on Dune. Poor sweet pretty pretty boy...

I'm fully expecting the movie to be delayed too. And that makes me mopey. At least gives us the trailer so we can watch it a gazillion times while we wait!

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marodi View Post

I'm fully expecting the movie to be delayed too. And that makes me mopey. At least gives us the trailer so we can watch it a gazillion times while we wait!
    THIS! I would totally watch it to death... only two movies I did that so far with were Prometheus and Joker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Here we go:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...ya-oscar-isaac

This is definitely my most anticipated film this year (assuming it still hits the December release, with delays and now everything seemingly releasing in that same window).

Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Ah yes! Nice! Of course it's all production shots, but this makes me really excited for the movie! Great casting despite Momoa, but even he can deliver if put into the right position.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Hell yes.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Ok, I know nothing about Dune, but these visuals are realllly intriguing me. Is there anywhere else I should start besides the 1984 film? Is this a sequel?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm a little iffy about the armor they're wearing, I don't recall any mention of armor in the book. Not that it looks bad or anything, but it seems a bit redundant with personal shields, unless they're foregoing those (which I can't imagine, given their usage in the book and Villeneuve's reverence for the source). Definitely OK with opening up Lady Jessica's (yay for more Rebecca Ferguson!!) role a bit and making Kynes a woman, which has no effect on the character as I see it.

This really has me craving a trailer even more, I so badly want to see all this in action.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    @Self.Destructive.Pattern I would start with the book, it's amazing. The 1984 film has a lot of differences and, while I appreciate it in a number of ways, is not exactly 'good' as much as a guilty pleasure. This is a new adaptation of the first book. Well, half of it or so.