Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Progressive Rock

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Frank Zappa is utterly amazing.

PS. RIP Jimmy Carl Black.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I saw a BBC documentary on Prog Rock on YouTube. It was great. Especially in how it all began and how silly it got towards the end.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Mike Oldfield, can't forget him. Wanted to include him in the first post, but the following video wasn't on YouTube at the time. Everybody will recognize the first few minutes of this piece (especially horror fans) but the entire album is a genuine masterpiece. And it came out in 1973, 10 days after his 20th birthday. Which means technically he was a teenager when he composed and recorded it. The majority of the instruments were recorded by Mike himself. After a long climb in the UK charts, it eventually hit number one in 1974, knocking Oldfield's follow-up Hergest Ridge off the top spot.

Last edited by onthewall2983; 02-09-2013 at 08:05 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    11 years ago that could have been one hell of a trip... God Damnit I hate being old.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I love this song, as odd as it is.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Steven Wilson on some latest re-releases he's had a major hand in putting together. Get your wallets ready.

The 40th anniversary stereo and 5.1 remixes of King Crimson's "Larks Tongues in Aspic" will finally be released on 15th October in 3 different editions, one of which is a collector's dream 15 disc box set with Blu-Ray and 8 CDs of live material. My 5.1 mix of Jethro Tull's "Thick as a Brick" should also be released around the same time as part of a 40th anniversary edition of that album (I'm not sure of the formats on that one yet, but most likely a more modest CD/DVDV combination).
    Also, Marillion's 18th album Sounds That Can't Be Made will come out next month. Here is the first single, "Power", a song already familiar to American audiences after becoming a staple on their first tour of the U.S. in quite sometime.

And the EPK for the album, with previews of every track, artwork, and interviews with the band.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

New most awaited release of 2012 for me.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

This sounds...interesting

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Always thought it was interesting that Daryl Hall's first solo album was a collaboration with Robert Fripp, it sounds exactly like what you would think if both of them got together:

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    For some reason, when I saw this thread I assumed it must be about a TV show in which a bunch of left-wingers live on a mountain.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I knew they worked together before, but didn't bother until now to listen to it. Kicking myself a little for not giving it a chance until now, but I'm very impressed. One of the interesting things to come out of the progressive movement is that there were bands able to mix what made Prog so unique with a genuine pop sensibility. ELO, Supertramp and some others that escape me fit this bill perfectly. It's also what I like about Marillion, is that they revere the classic pop music and alternative bands (they've covered U2 and REM in concert quite a few times), while still doing longer numbers and instrumentally being very sound.

Continuing in that vein, I'd be remiss not to mention Kevin Gilbert. He met a sad (and controversial) end, which can be read about here. He was jaded by the record business for various reasons stated in that article, and it's reflected on his 2nd (and posthumous) solo album, The Shaming Of The True.

He was also a huge devotee of progressive rock, especially Gabriel-era Genesis. The following video is from a performance of The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway with his band Giraffe. Apparently the leather jacket he is wearing here was actually Peter's, given to Kevin by Rosanna Arquette (briefly mentioned in the above article).

Last edited by onthewall2983; 02-09-2013 at 08:07 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    For those interested, I highly recommend reading Prog magazine. Loads of articles of bands old and new and interesting reviews that go beyond the borders of what people generally accept as "prog". I have the iPad app which is wonderful, and cheaper than buying the magazines themselves I believe.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Love this band, looking forward to it's release. Former Porcupine Tree drummer Chris Maitland is behind the kit on this, and from what I'm gathering from this video he'll fit right in.

Speaking of PT, it looks like Steven Wilson is working with Hawkwind now. Never thought I'd see him share credits with Lemmy on something.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Been digging even deeper into Camel lately. Hell of a band.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 08-04-2013 at 07:44 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Oh yeah, Camel is fantastic. Andy's vocals aren't that good, but it somehow doesn't cheapen it for me. Instrumentally brilliant.

Mentioned
    552 Post(s)
    I've been on a random 70s prog tangent lately. I'd always had a hard time getting into most of the classic progressive rock bands because of the uncomfortable moments where they teetered into outrageous melodrama, but I've come around and I'm finding all that stuff quirky and endearing.

Lately I've been all about Soft Machine.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I was listening to this on vinyl yesterday. Prog on....

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

This made me smile. I've been meaning to write a big long tribute to Yes here, and might do it soon but words escape me at the moment.

www.voicesforyes.com

I submitted my entry with little provocation.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Big Big Train.

English Electric (Part One)
    English Electric (Part Two)

Quite simply some of the best new (relatively speaking, they've been around for 20-plus years now) progressive rock I've heard since getting into Steven Wilson, via Porcupine Tree. These two records are along feel like everything the genre was, is and should always be. An amazing achievement.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 08-11-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Phish want to perform The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway with Peter Gabriel. Would be very interesting to see how they would pull it off, I'd imagine the audience not familiar with the album would be quite bewildered seeing it.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Phish want to perform The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway with Peter Gabriel. Would be very interesting to see how they would pull it off, I'd imagine the audience not familiar with the album would be quite bewildered seeing it.
    That would be fucking awesome. Add Steve Hackett to the performance and that would be even more special.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

This made me smile. I've been meaning to write a big long tribute to Yes here, and might do it soon but words escape me at the moment.

www.voicesforyes.com

I submitted my entry with little provocation.
    Yes brings back SOOOOOOO many 70s memories (mostly clouded by pounds of pot)

Especially the below song. OVER EIGHT FUCKING MINUTES LONG and they used to play it on the radio all the time.

Mentioned
    994 Post(s)

Progressive Rock

Ohhhhh this one, too

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Two prog cruises in 2014. Great lineups, but I'm still not convinced any kind of cruise/concert package is a great idea.

Last edited by onthewall2983; 08-23-2013 at 03:21 PM.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Is anyone here into Fish's new studio album? I think it's great! One of his finest solo releases.
    Also autobought Steve Hackett - Genesis Revisted Live 3cd/2dvd. Can't wait till October.
    Last edited by Lerxto; 09-13-2013 at 07:50 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I have to admit I've never gotten into Fish, as I'm not as big a fan of that period of Marillion as they have been since he left. I am a little curious about his solo efforts though, because he's gotten some interesting names (Steven Wilson worked on at least one of them I believe).

A band I found online a long time ago and loved (before they even got a record deal), Norway's Airbag has announced the release of their latest record The Greatest Show On Earth. Their guitarist runs the site gilmourish.com which strips down David Gilmour's technique, and he replicates those classic parts perfectly. The band has a huge Floyd influence in their sound but it remains interesting on it's own.

Airbag are ready to release their new album called ’The Greatest Show on Earth’. This is their third album on Karisma Records and after two highly acclaimed albums, ‘Identity’ (2009) and ‘All Rights Removed’ (2011), the new release is of course a much-anticipated album.

Airbag are continuing their journey through atmospheric sounds and serious topics, creating cinematic pictures and bringing out emotions, pulling the listener into their world. ‘The Greatest Show on Earth’ is a cohesive album with strong emphasis on musical themes and arrangements. The listener is treated to a wide sonic experience, from massive walls of sound to ambient textures and soulful soundscapes. The lyrics deal with the individual and its growing feeling of alienation and distrust in society and the established authorities. At the same time, we are manipulated and kept in a comfortable state of mind, believing we’re in control of our self-centered lives.

Bjørn Riis (guitars, keyboards, backing vocals, bass, co-producer), Asle Tostrup (vocals, keyboards, programming, producer, graphic design), Henrik Fossum (drums), Jørgen Hagen (programming, keyboards) and Anders Hovdan (bass), together with engineer and co-producer Vegard Sleipnes, have with ‘The Greatest Show on Earth’ managed to raise the music of Airbag to the next level. It has taken about 18 months to finish this album, but quality and musical craftsmanship are the essence in this production. This is a record that is a bit rougher and with some heavier parts than before, but still giving us the classic Airbag sound…

Tracklisting:

1. Surveillance (part 1) 02:23
    2. Redemption 07:02
    3. Silence Grows 05:54
    4. Call Me Back 11.15
    5. The Greatest Show on Earth 07:02
    6. Surveillance (part 2-3) 16:45
    Total playing time: 50:21

The record will be available in following formats:

Standard jewel case CD
    Ltd edition vinyl replica style CD
    Double vinyl, gatefold cover
    Double vinyl, gatefold cover, ltd edition white vinyl
    Digital download

CD’s and Vinyl will very soon be available to pre-order…
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 09-13-2013 at 08:08 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Good, I hope Robert Fripp got his finances back in order. Bill Rieflin... awesome.... uh... where's Adrian Belew?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Belew's absence is telling me they're going in a different direction. Jakko Jakszyk is a good singer and guitarist in his own right, and is more attuned to the earlier KC material (he in fact fronted a group of former KC members playing the 1969-75 material for awhile). So if this gets off the ground it could owe more to those earlier records than anything else.