Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Progressive Rock

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Yes, a massive change-up is what is needed anyway.

I'm psyched about it and am surely glad Mr. Fripp didn't actually go into retirement.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    uh... where's Adrian Belew?
    From his Facebook

questions and answers.

q: are you in the new King Crimson planned for next september 2014?

a: no. after 32 years I am no longer in King Crimson.

q: were you asked to be in the new King Crimson?

a: no, I was not. robert informed me in an email that he was starting a 7-piece version of the band. he said I would not be right for what the band is doing.

q: so, how do you feel?

a: "happy with what I have to be happy with". which is quite a lot.

I'm busy creating something I've wanted to create all my life, something which has never been done. FLUX: never the same twice. creatively I'm exploding with new ideas, songs, and music. in 60 days I'll be touring south america with my beloved Power Trio and next spring I'll be touring europe with Crimson Project, which is a celebration of the crimson music
    tony, pat, and I have help create. life is great.

q: what would you like to say to crimson fans about the new King Crimson?

a: my advice is to check it out and if you like it: support it.
    and on that note: thanks to all of you for your continued support of my music.
    cheers!

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    A new Yes box set from Atlantic The Studio Albums 1969-1987, will be released around Christmas (December 24th in the U.S.). I feel a little conflicted about it with the recent reissue of Close To The Edge on Blu, but the price is very tempting (and very cheap for 13 CD's). I would recommend it if you are a fan who could do without the bells and whistles.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    First big release of 2014 I'm looking forward to. These guys always put out high quality, high energy music with a classic edge to it.

Progressive-rock super-group Transatlantic, featuring Mike Portnoy, Neal Morse, Roine Stolt and Pete Trewavas will release their brand new fourth studio album ‘Kaleidoscope’ on the 28th January 2014. "This is right up there with the best of them for me" says Neal Morse. "Some reviewers have said they think it's better than The Whirlwind, which is pretty high marks in my view." Mike Portnoy says “I can't believe we did it again! The magical chemistry in this band never ceases to amaze me...Following up The Whirlwind was always going to be tough, but I think we have done it again with flying colors!! (no pun intended) : ) Prepare yourself for another epic Prog journey....”
    Main Disc:
    1 Into the Blue 25:11
    2 Shine 7:26
    3 Black as the Sky 6:43
    4 Beyond the Sun 4:29
    5 Kaleidoscope 31:53

Bonus Disc:

1 And You and I 10:43
    2 I Can't Get It Out of My Head 4:43
    3 Conquistador 4:10
    4 Goodbye Yellow Brick Road 3:16
    5 Tin Soldier 3:21
    6 Sylvia 3:49
    7 Indiscipline 4:43
    8 Nights In White Satin 6:12

Pre-order details

Last edited by onthewall2983; 01-27-2014 at 10:31 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quite enjoying this one:

Edited because they took it down.
    Last edited by Maximilian; 01-10-2014 at 05:44 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

From 1975, an English comedian's novelty song...featuring members of Genesis and King Crimson. Phil Collins explained the recording session on his website...

"It did indeed feature Robert Fripp, Percy Jones, Keith Tippett, me and Peter G. A friend of Pete's, Martin Hall wrote the song, or possibly co-wrote it with Peter, called You Never Know. Apparently Charlie Drake, who was a huge comedy star of the 50s and 60s, wanted to make a record. How he ended up with this line-up I have no idea! It seems the most obscure set of people to make a comedy record. On the day Charlie, who was quite small, turned up with a brand new denim outfit for his rock debut... it was quite touching to see him at it. Percy Jones and I were already in Brand X by then. The whole session was one of life's interesting snapshots!"
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 01-23-2014 at 01:47 AM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

One of my favorite releases of last year, a nice combination of space-rock lyrical motifs, tight musicianship and modern production values.

(I would be the first to agree that the latter two videos are a bit silly, but the songs are worth listening to at least).

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Finally getting into Beardfish, a band from Sweden that combines psychedelia, heavy metal and Frank Zappa influences into something a little more silly but nonetheless engaging.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The next album in the series of Yes albums remixed by Steven Wilson for Blu-ray and DVD has been announced - The Yes Album

CD/Blu pre-order

https://www.burningshed.c...sive/product/494/5539/

CD - New Stereo Mixes:

1. Yours Is No Disgrace
    2. Clap
    3. Starship Trooper: Life Seeker / Disillusion / Wurm
    4. I've Seen All Good People: Your Move / All Good People
    5. A Venture
    6. Perpetual Change

Additional Tracks:

7. Clap (Studio Version)
    8. A Venture (Extended)

Blu-Ray (Region 0, NTSC):

Presented in DTS-HD Master Audio

- Album mixed in 5.1 Surround
    - New Album mix
    - Original Album mix (flat transfer)
    - New Album mix (instrumental version)
    - Alternate version of The Yes Album drawn from live tracks, singles edits & an extended mix

Plus further audio extras some exclusive to the Blu-Ray edition.

NTSC, all regions, LPCM playable in all Blu-Ray players & Blu-Ray drives

CD/DVD-A pre-order

https://www.burningshed.c...sive/product/494/5540/

CD - New Stereo Mixes:

1. Yours Is No Disgrace
    2. Clap
    3. Starship Trooper: Life Seeker / Disillusion / Wurm
    4. I've Seen All Good People: Your Move / All Good People
    5. A Venture
    6. Perpetual Change

Additional Tracks:

7. Clap (Studio Version)
    8. A Venture (Extended)

DVD-A (Region 0, NTSC):

- Album mixed in 5.1 Surround from original multi-track sources.
    - New Album mix in High Resolution Stereo
    - Original Album mix (flat transfer) in High Resolution Stereo
    - Alternate version of The Yes Album drawn from live tracks, singles edits & an extended mix

NTSC Region 0 hybrid DVD-A, compatible with all DVD players & DVD-rom drives.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Questlove admitting his love of Gentle Giant on Twitter last night while meeting Derek Shulman is pretty damned cool.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...of-jethro-tull
    So Jethro Tull's over. Not surprising but....

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Was raised on Prog, been getting back into it lately.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    More Genesis...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Nice doc on the Gabriel years, oddly enough narrated by Ray Wilson, Phil Collins' replacement as singer on their last album. The channel itself has a lot of rare Genesis TV stuff, interviews and docs mostly.

The bare minimum of what I'd recommend to anyone wanting to get into classic prog would be anything Genesis or Yes recorded from 1970 to 1977. Some King Crimson and ELP as well, but those two bands during those years made some really astonishing albums that still hold up today.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    ELO and Alan Parsons Project, too!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Pink Floyd, as well. I love the Arthur C. Clarke book this song is named for:

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

This looks good, I read that he sought out Mike Oldfield and Tom Newman (the producer of this and Oldfield's Tubular Bells which served as major inspiration for this) before recording and got their blessing to do it.

Mentioned
    736 Post(s)

people argue with me over whether or not Type O counts as prog.

i say fuck yes.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post

people argue with me over whether or not Type O counts as prog.

i say fuck yes.
    I'd say no, they're a mix of Black Sabbath, The Beatles, shoegaze and hardcore.

One of my top five bands, easily.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Genesis is getting back together...for a BBC documentary

Genesis and the BBC have been working together over the last few months on GENESIS: TOGETHER AND APART

A feature length documentary on one of the most successful bands in rock history. From its first beginnings as a band of songwriters in the late 1960s to its final incarnation as a rock giant in the 1990s – via full-blown theatrical progressive rock in the mid-1970s and the subtler jazzy pop of the early 1980s – Genesis could perplex and enrage the die-hards, whilst exciting and exhilarating the newer disciples.

Made with the full co-operation of Genesis, the film reunites all original members of the band together – Tony Banks, Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel, Steve Hackett, Mike Rutherford – for the first time since 1975.

The film recounts an extraordinary musical story, exploring the band’s songwriting as well as emotional highs and lows, alongside previously unseen archive material and rare performance footage across their entire career.

Transmission date to be confirmed.
    That's not exactly true about the 5 of them being together for the first time since '75. They were part of a reunion concert to help Gabriel's world-music charity in 1982, they got together (with other past members as well) for a photo shoot in 1998 (you can see clips of it in a video I posted here earlier), and a year later they recorded (albeit patched together from different parts of the world) "The Carpet Crawlers 1999" for a greatest-hits package.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 02-28-2016 at 09:11 AM.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I just hope this would lead to a few reunion shows. I understand Peter Gabriel's reluctance to do a big tour. I would rather prefer that the band would do some shows in the U.K. and then some shows in the U.S. and that's it.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'd much rather hear Gabriel do The Lamb with Phish.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    In other news Tony Banks looks a lot like my step-father in that pic.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Never thought i would see Gabriel and Collins in the same picture again...

Hopefully this is good timing for remastering/reissuing the first Genesis albums (specially "Foxtrot")

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    They did that already in 2008. They're all out individually, but I shelled out the cash for this and don't regret it.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Found this on Twitter and thought why not post it here. I'm already collating the list in my head. This will surely be a more definitive and interesting list than anything done before, at least moreso than the one done by Rolling Stone.

http://prog.teamrock.com/news/2014-0...um-of-all-time

The time has come, we have decided, to finally answer the question: what is the greatest prog rock album of all time?

Is it a classic of a bygone era? Do In The Court Of The Crimson King, The Dark Side Of The Moon or Selling England By The Pound still hold up over forty years after their creation? Or have more recent generations stamped their authority on the genre? Where does Marillion's Misplaced Childhood or Brave sit in the over-all equation? Did the 90s prog metal boom make much of an over-all impression on listeners? And what of today's successful progressive artists? Where do the likes of Steven Wilson, Opeth and Anathema fit into things?

Now is the chance for Prog readers to have their say as we compile the ultimate list of the 100 Greatest Prog Albums Of All Time. It's easy to get involved. Just e-mail us your list of your top ten favourite prog albums of all time. Make sure you give us a sentence for each choice as to why you've made it - you never know, you might find yourself in print when we publish the results.

And simply e-mail your list to us here. We'll be publishing the list in a future issue of Prog. Closing date for entries is Friday 4 July. We look forward to seeing all your choices.

Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    I'm betting "Dark Side of the Moon" will win... anyway i'm sending my list also...

*EDIT*

My final list (no particular order...)

- Pink Floyd - Meddle
    - Marillion - Fugazi
    - King Crimson - Red
    - Yes - Close to the Edge
    - RUSH - 2112
    - Steven Wilson - The Raven that Refused to Sing
    - Mastodon - Crack the Skye
    - Goblin - Suspiria
    - Jethro Tull - Aqualung
    - Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Pictures at an exhibition

...obviously i left out many great albums like "Freak Out!" by Zappa, "Thick as a Brick" by Jethro Tull, "Ghost Reveries" by Opeth, "In the court of the Crimson King" by KC, "In Absentia" by Porcupine Tree and "Snow" by Spock's Beard, what the hell...
    Last edited by henryeatscereal; 06-25-2014 at 02:26 PM. Reason: List...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Since it's 100 I'm fairly confident at least 8, if not all of these will make it in. If I could choose 20, there would be at least 1 more Genesis, 2 more Yes, and 1 more Floyd. I'd also put The Moody Blues' Days of Future Passed, Dream Theater's Metropolis 2: Scenes From a Memory (which I know will be a lock anyway since DT have a huge online presence and will be all over this list), and probably another King Crimson or Camel album or two. But I'm satisfied with this list. I'll email it soon as I lock down the right writing for each record I have in my head.

1. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here.
    2. Yes - Close to the Edge.
    3. Genesis - Selling England by the Pound.
    4. King Crimson - Red.
    5. Steven Wilson - Insurgentes.
    6. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon.
    7. Genesis - A Trick of the Tail.
    8. Marillion - Seasons End.
    9. Camel - The Snow Goose.
    10. Porcupine Tree - Deadwing.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 06-26-2014 at 12:18 PM.