Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Donnie Darko

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Donnie Darko

British company Arrow released a 4K restoration last year, and it came out there with a mighty deluxe edition on Blu-ray/DVD, encompassing features from all previous home video releases, as well as new and otherwise unreleased material. And it will come to the US this spring.

NEW US TITLE: Donnie Darko (Limited Edition Dual Format Blu-ray & DVD)Arguably the first cult classic of the new millennium newly restored and loaded with extras.
    North American pre-orders links should be live soon!
    Release Dates: 18 April 2017
    I WANT YOU TO WATCH THE MOVIE SCREEN. THERE’S SOMETHING I WANT TO SHOW YOU.
    Fifteen years before Stranger Things combined science-fiction, Spielberg-ian touches and 80s nostalgia to much acclaim, Richard Kelly set the template – and the high-water mark – with his debut feature, Donnie Darko. Initially beset with distribution problems, it would slowly find its audience and emerge as arguably the first cult classic of the new millennium.
    Donnie is a troubled high school student: in therapy, prone to sleepwalking and in possession of an imaginary friend, a six-foot rabbit named Frank, who tells him the world is going to end in 28 days 06 hours 42 minutes and 12 seconds. During that time he will navigate teenage life, narrowly avoid death in the form of a falling jet engine, follow Frank’s maladjusted instructions and try to maintain the space-time continuum.
    Described by its director as “The Catcher in the Rye as told by Philip K. Dick”, Donnie Darko combines an eye-catching, eclectic cast – pre-stardom Jake and Maggie Gyllenhaal, heartthrob Patrick Swayze, former child star Drew Barrymore, Oscar nominees Mary McDonnell and Katherine Ross, and television favourite Noah Wyle – and an evocative soundtrack of 80s classics by Echo and the Bunnymen, Tears for Fears and Duran Duran. This brand-new 4K restoration, carried out exclusively for this release by Arrow Films, allows a modern classic to finally receive the home video treatment it deserves.
    LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
    •Brand new 4K restorations of both the Theatrical Cut and the Director’s Cut from the original camera negatives produced by Arrow Films exclusively for this release, supervised and approved by director Richard Kelly and cinematographer Steven Poster
    •High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations of both cuts
    •Original 5.1 audio (DTS-HD on the Blu-ray)
    •Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
    •Audio commentary by writer-director Richard Kelly and actor Jake Gyllenhaal on the Theatrical Cut
    •Audio commentary by Kelly, producer Sean McKittrick and actors Drew Barrymore, Jena Malone, Beth Grant, Mary McDonnell, Holmes Osborne, Katharine Ross and James Duval on the Theatrical Cut
    •Audio commentary by Kelly and filmmaker Kevin Smith on the Director’s Cut
    •Deus ex Machina: The Philosophy of Donnie Darko, a brand-new documentary by Ballyhoo Motion Pictures on the making of Donnie Darko, containing interviews with writer-director Richard Kelly, producer Sean McKittrick, director of photography Steven Poster, editor Sam Bauer, composer Michael Edwards, costume designer April Ferry, actor James Duval and critic Rob Galluzzo
    •The Goodbye Place, Kelly’s 1996 short film, which anticipates some of the themes and ideas of his feature films
    •The Donnie Darko Production Diary, an archival documentary charting the film’s production with optional commentary by cinematographer Steven Poster
    •Twenty deleted and alternate scenes with optional commentary by Kelly
    •Archive interviews with Kelly, actors Jake Gyllenhaal, Jena Malone, Drew Barrymore, James Duval, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Holmes Osborne, Noah Wyle and Katharine Ross, producers Sean McKittrick, Nancy Juvonen, Hunt Lowry and Casey La Scala, and cinematographer Steven Poster
    •Three archive featurettes: They Made Me Do It, They Made Me Do It Too and #1 Fan: A Darkomentary
    •Storyboard comparisons
    •B-roll footage
    •Cunning Visions infomercials
    •Music video: Mad World by Gary Jules
    •Galleries
    •Trailers
    •TV spots
    •Exclusive collector’s book containing new writing by Nathan Rabin, Anton Bitel and Jamie Graham, an in-depth interview with Richard Kelly, introduction by Jake Gyllenhaal and contemporary coverage, illustrated with original stills and promotional materials
    •Limited edition packaging featuring new artwork by Candice Tripp

Last edited by onthewall2983; 01-14-2017 at 05:33 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    that looks awesome!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    I bought the deluxe edition on amazon.uk last month. It's a beautiful set, and the movie looks great. I haven't watched the new features yet, but the DE is well worth picking up.

Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Might need to scrounge up money for it....

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I love how the Product Description had to mention Strange Things lol

I'd buy this package if we get it here in the US, but I'd prefer to purchase a 4K Blu-ray of it.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    If only this could help Richard get the money to make a new (and good) movie again...

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    If only this could help Richard get the money to make a new (and good) movie again...
    I kinda liked The Box. Southland Tales was ehhh.
    I think he's gonna ride this wave for as long as he can lol.

Honestly, a part of me thinks he was just lucky with Donnie Darko. And I love the movie. But the director's cut was atrocious. The movie's flaws and plot holes plus low budget is kinda what makes the movie mysterious and great and kept it from going too far. Once he started including too many answers in the director's cut, the movie just lost the stuff that made it interesting to discuss. It's kinda funny when an incomplete (theatrical) movie turns out better than the complete (director's cut) movie. It's good he left those things out because it left you with questions and pondering what happened. An example where less is better.
    Last edited by neorev; 01-14-2017 at 03:56 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    I'd buy this package if we get it here in the US, but I'd prefer to purchase a 4K Blu-ray of it.

http://www.diabolikdvd.com/category/Arrow-Releasing/Donnie-Darko-(Arrow-US-Limited-Edtion)-(DVD-[sl]-Blu~Ray-Combo).html

It's not 4K Blu-ray though.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post

http://www.diabolikdvd.com/category/Arrow-Releasing/Donnie-Darko-(Arrow-US-Limited-Edtion)-(DVD-[sl]-Blu~Ray-Combo).html

It's not 4K Blu-ray though.
    Yeah saw the Blu-ray and Blu-ray/DVD package. Seems strange how it's this big "coming back to theaters remastered in 4K" yet no 4K Blu-ray... strange.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I rarely watch analysis of things because I like to figure things out myself and have my own interpretation, but youtuber Night Mind did a great video about Donnie Darko (too bad youtube took the full version down. It's on Dailymotion though)
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4x8adq

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Yeah saw the Blu-ray and Blu-ray/DVD package. Seems strange how it's this big "coming back to theaters remastered in 4K" yet no 4K Blu-ray... strange.
    The 4K Blu-ray technology is still in its infancy. These damned things are still verrrry expensive, and the movie companies are toying with the format's possibilities. Unfortunately, since Donnie Darko seems to be a limited edition, it's already very expensive for them to produce the Blu-ray/DVD boxset as it is. They may eventually release it on 4K Blu-ray, but it probably won't have all those special features, unless they sneak one of the Blu-rays in the package. It's more likely that it will be released on digital 4K rather than physical. Still, I'm glad they remastered both cuts, and that Kelly and the cinematographer approved them.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    The 4K Blu-ray technology is still in its infancy. These damned things are still verrrry expensive, and the movie companies are toying with the format's possibilities. Unfortunately, since Donnie Darko seems to be a limited edition, it's already very expensive for them to produce the Blu-ray/DVD boxset as it is. They may eventually release it on 4K Blu-ray, but it probably won't have all those special features, unless they sneak one of the Blu-rays in the package. It's more likely that it will be released on digital 4K rather than physical. Still, I'm glad they remastered both cuts, and that Kelly and the cinematographer approved them.
    I was gonna buy a PS4 Pro until I found it doesn't have a 4K Blu-ray drive (the X Box One S does). Need to pick up a 4K player. Streaming is good, but Netflix doesn't have much 4K movies except for their originals. I prefer an actual disc rather than streaming if possible. Shame Sony skimped out on it with their PS4 Pro. Sold my PS4 and this is the first time that I don't have a PlayStation since PS One.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    How many more times are they going to make me buy this movie?

I own:
    - The original DVD release.
    - The Director's cut 2 Disc Edition
    - The Blu Ray anniversary ed.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Why do people like this movie? I don't think I understand it as I thought it was a whatever movie.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    Why do people like this movie? I don't think I understand it as I thought it was a whatever movie.
    I can only answer for me.
    It has a massive eighties nostalgia factor.
    It was one of the first really "weird" movies i've ever seen. In fact, it was THE first, that i saw and actually understood. I can't count lost highway because it took me growing up to wrap my head around THAT shit.
    The love story was beautiful.
    And Jake G was insanely compelling in his first role.

But for me, most of all, it's a movie full of nostalgia which now, is something in and of itself for which i am nostalgic.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    I can only answer for me.
    It has a massive eighties nostalgia factor.
    It was one of the first really "weird" movies i've ever seen. In fact, it was THE first, that i saw and actually understood. I can't count lost highway because it took me growing up to wrap my head around THAT shit.
    The love story was beautiful.
    And Jake G was insanely compelling in his first role.

But for me, most of all, it's a movie full of nostalgia which now, is something in and of itself for which i am nostalgic.
    I guess I'll take another shot at it. I haven't seen it since it first hit DVD so maybe it will hit me this time around.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Conan The Barbarian View Post
    I guess I'll take another shot at it. I haven't seen it since it first hit DVD so maybe it will hit me this time around.
    People are right about the director's cut kind of ruining the fancy. I suggest trying to make sure and watch the OG, Real Deal Holyfield edition, but that's just my meek and humble opinion, take it or leave it.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I honestly like the director's cut better. I didn't used to.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    There were lots of things to admire, but I don't think it gets it's due with how funny some of it is. Not just in a dark, cynical way either (though that is definitely a factor) but some of it is almost laugh-out loud funny. It offsets a lot of the danger and menace it sometimes shows.

Plus Drew Barrymore has probably never been better on film, at least since she was a child actor.

An unfortunate place somewhere in the Southwest
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    People are right about the director's cut kind of ruining the fancy. I suggest trying to make sure and watch the OG, Real Deal Holyfield edition, but that's just my meek and humble opinion, take it or leave it.
    Ugh. I hated the director's cut. It holds your hand and explains every tiny detail, completely ruining the mystery and the vibe of the whole film. Bleh.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I think I only watched the DC to hear the audio commentary with Kelly and Kevin Smith. What I remember is that there was some CGI that looked really out of place. Not that it was a cheap-looking film to begin with, but that stuff really didn't jibe with everything else visually.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Fifteen years before Stranger Things combined science-fiction, Spielberg-ian touches and 80s nostalgia to much acclaim, Richard Kelly set the template – and the high-water mark – with his debut feature,

What? That's a pretty ridiculous way to frame things

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Eh, it's just a way to sell it. No skin off my teeth.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    There were lots of things to admire, but I don't think it gets it's due with how funny some of it is. Not just in a dark, cynical way either (though that is definitely a factor) but some of it is almost laugh-out loud funny. It offsets a lot of the danger and menace it sometimes shows.

Plus Drew Barrymore has probably never been better on film, at least since she was a child actor.
    "i...i think you're the fucking antichrist" for the win. :P

or how about "what are feces?" - "baby mice!"

holy shit i think i'm gonna have to watch it today.

Elevenism sounds like a super hero or something. "how do you know i'm not?"
    Last edited by elevenism; 01-17-2017 at 11:27 AM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @onthewall2983 , i hate to say this, but sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Beach View Post
    I honestly like the director's cut better. I didn't used to.
    There's stuff that works better in the Director's Cut and stuff that works better in the original cut...

- I like the song order in the original cut better (never liked the opening with "Never tear us apart")

- I like the "cut-away scenes" with the excerpts of the "Philosophy of Time Travel" on the Director's cut.

- The original cut makes the movie more mysterious.

- The director's cut makes the movie easier to understand.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    I didn't understand why the DC cut out the line "I'm so sorry" or Patrick Swayze's cries when he is shown on TV being arrested.

I'm sad that Southland Tales crashed as hard as it did. I never watched the whole thing. I remember visiting its official website a few months before the film had premiered in Cannes. It had this huge mythology built on it, with comics and character biographies and all that stuff, and everything had this almost proto-Year Zero feel. We will not see the original Cannes version anytime soon. The version that's currently available has better effects but 20-25 minutes of footage is missing. It actually needs a Director's Cut that explains more things, and Kelly always wanted to do it, but Tales still isn't the cult classic that Donnie became.

Two good Kelly interviews, the latter also featuring Jake Gyllenhaal:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...y-donald-trump
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...ake-gyllenhaal

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    I fucking hated The Box btw

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I like all of Kelly's movies, but there's a definite downward curve in quality. Donnie Darko's comfortably in my top 5 films.

Definitely agreed with @wizfan that a new edit of Southland Tales would be great, it does feel excessively chopped.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I always liked "Southland Tales", it's both funny and terrifying.
    The story is a mess but it's enjoyable and it has a great music selection (like Donnie Darko...)
    My favorite bits are with John Lovitz, he's awesome as the racist cop...