Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Donnie Darko

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I feel like Kelly should have done more straight-up writing for other films, like he did for Tony Scott's Domino. Working under guys like that could have upped his game a little more.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    I feel like Kelly should have done more straight-up writing for other films, like he did for Tony Scott's Domino. Working under guys like that could have upped his game a little more.
    Agreed. He's become just known for one great film, one extremely unwatchable film, and a mediocre film. You can't just coast by on one single triumph.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    I'd actually be more interested in a direction/production effort with no authorship involved. All his films are beautifully made, whether you're looking at the camerawork, lighting, effects, design, acting, score or sound; the writing's arguably the weak link (well, maybe the editing). Anyway, he gets my box office money whether writing or not.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I checked Kelly's IMDB page and it's sad to see that "The Box" was his most recent proyect.
    The guy has a lot to say and he has become a hermit essentially, i get why Hoollywood doesn't give him projects, but the guy could look to branch in other places like TV series...

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    He's been trying to get films made. Funding has been an issue but the last one sunk due to the absolute worst luck, James Gandolfini was the key player (and can I just say? Death can fuck right the fuck off. Incredible actor who should still be with us).

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    I'd actually be more interested in a direction/production effort with no authorship involved. All his films are beautifully made, whether you're looking at the camerawork, lighting, effects, design, acting, score or sound; the writing's arguably the weak link (well, maybe the editing). Anyway, he gets my box office money whether writing or not.
    What about a Richard Kelly film written by Kevin Smith. Both have strengths the other is weak in.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    I think the reason why Donnie Darko was so good is probably because Richard Kelly spent years writing it.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    He's been trying to get films made. Funding has been an issue but the last one sunk due to the absolute worst luck, James Gandolfini was the key player (and can I just say? Death can fuck right the fuck off. Incredible actor who should still be with us).
    I didn't know that. I remember he was active on Twitter for awhile. He had a wonderful review of Fincher's Dragon Tattoo that he managed to squeeze in one post that impressed me.

I would normally say television would be a good avenue for him, but I think the Stranger Things ​comparison could hurt him, unless he went in a completely different direction.
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 01-18-2017 at 09:32 PM.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I don't really feel Stranger Things when watching Donnie Darko.... like at all. Yeah, I get it, Donnie Darko was set in the 80's. But I don't really feel like the time period was a huge factor with the story. It wasn't a love letter to the 80's like Stranger Things is. Honestly, the mention kinda cheapens it. Just a dumb marketing scheme for the people of today who never seen this movie that will read it and be like "Oh! Look! Stranger Things! It must be good then! I should buy this!" Then they get home and it's absolutely nothing like Stranger Things at all.

While we're at it... it's set in the 80's and about time travel... why not say it's the new Back To The Future while we're at it?
    Last edited by neorev; 01-18-2017 at 08:44 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Back-to-back I can see what you're saying, but it's more that they both draw from the same well is where the comparison comes in.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Oh god... he's really squeezing out whatever he can on Donnie Darko...

‘Donnie Darko’ director hints at sequel
    Asked whether there could be any future Donnie Darko films, Kelly replied: “I think there’s something much bigger and more ambitious to do in that universe. It’s big and expensive and I think there’s time to get to that. I want to make sure we’ve got the budget to do it justice and not to compromise anything. Another story in this world needs resources and we need to have that in place. I need to get my next film out of the gate and then we can go back and look at it.”

http://www.nme.com/news/film/donnie-...-hints-1960730

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Did anybody watch, or can anybody recommend, S. Darko? -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S._Darko

I understand that the general consensus is that it's a failed cash-grab, but I wonder if it has redeeming qualities enough to warrant a watch.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Oh god... he's really squeezing out whatever he can on Donnie Darko...

‘Donnie Darko’ director hints at sequel
    Asked whether there could be any future Donnie Darko films, Kelly replied: “I think there’s something much bigger and more ambitious to do in that universe. It’s big and expensive and I think there’s time to get to that. I want to make sure we’ve got the budget to do it justice and not to compromise anything. Another story in this world needs resources and we need to have that in place. I need to get my next film out of the gate and then we can go back and look at it.”

http://www.nme.com/news/film/donnie-...-hints-1960730
    That's a film that doesn't need a sequel. This is just someone desperate to recapture some old glory that was lost. The question is that, who will be part of it?

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    I strongly disliked the director's cut because it ruined the original film's mystique that made it great by explaining and solidifying too much Diving any further into that world will just diminish the meaning and impact of the original. Donnie Darko isn't some huge, encompassing story like Southland Tales. It's a much more focused and personal story. Yes, several characters were affected by the events that happened, but it was still intimate. Moving away from the original's more personal aspect to build some bigger world around it just feels wrong and betrays what is special about this story. If he felt so horrible about someone making the S. Darko sequel, I think that's enough to tell him to just leave it alone and let it be. Luckily, many people don't even consider S. Darko a legit sequel and simply ignore it. Let's keep it like that.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by muad'nin View Post
    Did anybody watch, or can anybody recommend, S. Darko? -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S._Darko

I understand that the general consensus is that it's a failed cash-grab, but I wonder if it has redeeming qualities enough to warrant a watch.
    Oh man, "S. Darko" is a predictable, boring and uninspired mess.
    I appreciated that they tried to bring back that universe and they sure expand on "Kelly's" ideas, but the execution was terrible, just skip this one...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Arrow released a one-disc version subsequent to the initial release. Got it on eBay for a nice price last month. I still think it holds up, especially as being the first film I can recall that was a period piece about a time in which I lived through (although I was 5 years and a day old on October 30th, 1988). The documentary about the making of the film was a bit eye-opening, and everyone interviewed still seem to have high affection for the project, including DP Steven Poster, who's work in other capacities on Close Encounters of the Third Kind and Blade Runner made him an impressive find for someone's directing debut (though it was the first film he was the cinematographer proper on as well).

Arrow is also releasing a new Blu-ray of Southland Tales, including the cut that was shown at the Cannes Film Festival which garnered better reviews. Earlier in the year Kelly said he was working on a third cut which I guess would have been part of this but isn't. Hopefully that's still in the cards but who knows.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)

Arrow is also releasing a new Blu-ray of Southland Tales, including the cut that was shown at the Cannes Film Festival which garnered better reviews. Earlier in the year Kelly said he was working on a third cut which I guess would have been part of this but isn't. Hopefully that's still in the cards but who knows.
    Great, i'm one of the few who likes "Southland Tales".

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Last edited by onthewall2983; 01-29-2021 at 03:12 PM.

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    so has the SMPTE color bars always been part of the branding for the film?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    No that's an Arrow thing

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    are they doing a region-1 version? i hate it when arrow only gets the license for region 2 stuff (like abominable dr. phibes, which i am DYING to own on blu-ray)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    UHD Blu-ray is entirely region free

Mentioned
    233 Post(s)