Thread: Sigil 5: New HTDA speculations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prettybrokenspiral View Post
    Anyone who doesn't like it probably had no intention of doing so to begin with..
    That is a bold statement. Right up there with saying "Anyone who likes those vocals only likes them because it is TRs wife".

I have taken a good few listens to HDTA lately, and each time with the earnest intention of trying to like it. I can't quite put my finger on why it is exactly, but the fact that I don't find the vocals very compelling is likely to be part of it. But that is not all. I also don't find the music itself very memorable. She is not a bad vocalist by any means either, and I will surely check out any new stuff they put out under the name, but for now, it isn't for me.

I only checked it out in the first place because it involved TR. I doubt I am alone in that regard. While we are at it, does anybody know of anybody who got into TRs work first through HDTA? Without being aware of NIN at all, I mean.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astfgyl View Post
    While we are at it, does anybody know of anybody who got into TRs work first through HDTA? Without being aware of NIN at all, I mean.
    It's possible, but they'd have to be in their pre-teenaged years now to have grown up avoiding any encounter with NIN at all.

Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astfgyl View Post
    While we are at it, does anybody know of anybody who got into TRs work first through HDTA? Without being aware of NIN at all, I mean.
    Festival-goers? I mean, they played some pretty big sets. You go as a fan of the headliner (someone way different than NIN, so you've quite possibly never heard them) and stop by to see this "Destroy Angels" band. A Trent-free introduction to HTDA.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Yeah both of the above are probably true. I was thinking at the time how it must hinder them as well as help them. I mean, it must be pretty difficult for HTDA to be judged on its own merits without always being held up against NIN. And yet they have a ready made audience by association, including those fairly large festival slots mentioned above.