Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14

Thread: Rap Music

Mentioned
    656 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    He's one half of Cannibal Ox. If you haven't listened to their classic Cold Vein album, I suggest you stop what you're doing and go listen to it.

Classic El-P sound.
    So.I shall.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Stuff like Cannibal Ox is basically the reason why I did prefer underground rap to mainstream artists like Jay-Z, Dr. Dre or Nas or Puffy back in the late 90s/early 00s. While the latter often seemed to compromise their art by, say, remaking 80s songs, having RnB cats singing their hooks or rapping about women and cars, the underground stuff felt much more relateable to me, myself being a melancholy white kid with a love for comics and the feeling that there should be more to life than bragging about a model you slept with. Especially when there was all kinds of Shit happening in the world, like 9/11, Bush Jr, the war in Iraq and so on...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Primo is released an EP with a bunch of artists including Nas, Run The Jewels and Lil Wayne.

https://hiphopdx.com/news/id.71621/t...e-jewels-more#

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Cruising to this gem today.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Since we're giving Slick Rick love...

Mentioned
    656 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Stuff like Cannibal Ox is basically the reason why I did prefer underground rap to mainstream artists like Jay-Z, Dr. Dre or Nas or Puffy back in the late 90s/early 00s. While the latter often seemed to compromise their art by, say, remaking 80s songs, having RnB cats singing their hooks or rapping about women and cars, the underground stuff felt much more relateable to me, myself being a melancholy white kid with a love for comics and the feeling that there should be more to life than bragging about a model you slept with. Especially when there was all kinds of Shit happening in the world, like 9/11, Bush Jr, the war in Iraq and so on...
    AMEN.

I mean, Blackalicious, J5, Del, Sage Francis, Atmosphere, Cunninlynguists, Jedi Mind Tricks, Dose One (with Subtle, and other projects), dead prez, Pikahsso, PPT, even Public Enemy...

I honestly had a friend who turned me on to a LOT of that shit, and I'm forever grateful.

Coming up in the Triple D, I ALSO loved nastier shit like Oak Cliff Assassin, Mr. Pookie, Mr. Lucci, but they were hometown heroes.

But, mos def (pun intended), I've always been way, WAY more into underground/conscious/backpack rap.
    Last edited by elevenism; 07-15-2022 at 02:52 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Early 00's underground hip hop was a great antithesis to all the ghetto fabulous rap music in the mainstream. Lots of great memories being young, listening to these records and going to shows.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    my IG handle comes from a Can Ox song from that record. Just an absolutely classic album with no skips. And then everything they did after is trash lol.

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Early 00's underground hip hop was a great antithesis to all the ghetto fabulous rap music in the mainstream. Lots of great memories being young, listening to these records and going to shows.

Huge 7L & Esoteric fan here. It's been great seeing them finally get some long overdue recognition with Czarface. And the amount of music they've been releasing lately has been great too.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Man, that Mr. Lif album is absolutely insane. Telling a story about an individual that goes through different phases in life is kinda reminiscent of TDS. Except that Lif ends the story with getting everyone killed in an atomic blast lol.

But thinking about it, both albums share some similar themes... like being let down by society, frustration, feeling lost, selfishness, destruction and death. Great album.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Apparently Mr. Lif has been living in Toronto for some time. If for some reason I ever run into him, I'm definitely telling him that I Phantom still holds up today haha.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    New Joey Bada$$ is pretty great.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Dude if you don't remember, this was in response to me posting the new Rich Chig...I mean Rich Brian with Warren Hue. In fact, here:

NOW.

Idk if there's some sort of INDUSTRY thing against the cat, or some shit I don't know. This is the first track I've heard, and I don't keep up with every little bit of new, ahem, "hip hop."

But FUUUUUCK me. If you don't think these kids are rapping their fucking asses off, idk what to tell you, man. I don't understand.

This is better than 90% of the bullshit that passes for hip hop these days, in terms of pure skill.

It's also uplifting to my Asian sister in law, and my mixed niece and nephews: same as Lyrics Born and China Mac...except these two are fucking choppers who belong on a Tech 9ine record. This is something my nephew, who gets fucked with every day at school for his Korean eyes, can feel good about.

But that isn't the point.

I honestly wanna know how, and why, you think this is so much worse than all the godawful "money phone, look at these guns, look at these girls with fake asses" bullshit that's on the pop.charts these days, made by people around whom I COULD fucking rap circles if I wanted to.

Like, how is this a "don't, stop" when fucking Saweetie is blowing up. Travis Scott has good production, but he couldn't RAP his way out of a paper bag. Aubrey Graham of Degrassi: the next generation isn't a rapper, he's a team of people.

I honestly wanna know, and, no offense, what's wrong with these Asian kids chopping like Tech.

Is it that I'm supposed to be supporting O Block instead?
    ok, so I finally remembered to respond. Apologies. So the very first thing you wrote is the main reason I have never and can never give this kid any serious consideration. Calling himself Rich Chigga initially is an unforgivable offense man. That shit is fucked up & lame. I don't buy the excuses, I don't care how young he was. I don't buy the foreigner "oh I didn't really understand the word" excuse either. I'm not checking for someone who does that.

That video you posted is super lame too for me. Massive poser vibes...again, to me. I also always thought his massive internet presence was lame, and overtook what supposedly was the most important thing, his music.

I never said the kid was a worse rapper than someone like Travis, or Saweetie. Yes the kid can rap. There's a ton of rappers better than the terrible nonsense we play on my radio stations. That's not an apt comparison. I would compare him to actual MC's, like a Cole, maybe Logic? And I just have no interest in the vibe this kid gives off, sorry. I find it interesting/confusing how he clearly has a pretty big fanbase, but he's pretty quiet on the live front, even before Covid. Maybe there's a reason he can't get out of his niche & branch out into the bigger world of hip hop despite having a following.

As far as Drake, he's a pop rapper/artist and you may not like him, but he dictates basically where the entire industry goes and has for about a decade now, so you should at least pay attention. He's ahead of the curve often...the new house record is just the latest example.
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 08-11-2022 at 02:45 PM.

Mentioned
    656 Post(s)
    @bobbie solo I thought you just didn't want to respond. And that was fine.This was awhile ago: like 2 years in internet time.

So, okay. I played the race card, and perhaps I shouldn't have.
    BUT, idk. I just think these kids can rap. I digs it. This was my first Rich 'ahem" Brian song.
    And idk. I thought it went hard.

As far as posers...what, they're posing as Asian kids? The melody is literally Asian Pentatonic.
    Did you read the lyrics? They're repping their culture.
    ALSO, Asian people take Xanax and drink lean, too. Trust me. I drank a whole hell of a lot of it with my Korean sis in law, way before it was the new cocaine.

Idk. Today's "hip hop" is fucking AWFUL, and doesn't deserve to be called hip hop. So when I hear two kids straight spittin, well, yeah.
    That makes my ears perk up

Also, how come it's cool for Mexican rappers to say n"gga?

Bottom line?

These kids are rapping their asses off.

You know who ISN'T? Durk, Youngboy, Travis Scott, etc.

And lil Aubrey had a couple of good songs, but he MOSTLY fucking sucks, imho.
    HE'S ahead of the curve?
    Maybe his writers are. Maybe his producers.

But Lil Aubrey is nothing but an actor, as far as I can tell.

I DID like some of his old stuff, but I'll eat my fucking hat if he wrote it.

Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    New Joey Bada$$ is pretty great.

All of the vocals on this are fucking amazing, just kill some highs on the cymbals. It just hurts my ears, and it disrupts a great track.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    @bobbie solo I thought you just didn't want to respond. And that was fine.This was awhile ago: like 2 years in internet time.

So, okay. I played the race card, and perhaps I shouldn't have.
    BUT, idk. I just think these kids can rap. I digs it. This was my first Rich 'ahem" Brian song.
    And idk. I thought it went hard.

As far as posers...what, they're posing as Asian kids? The melody is literally Asian Pentatonic.
    Did you read the lyrics? They're repping their culture.
    ALSO, Asian people take Xanax and drink lean, too. Trust me. I drank a whole hell of a lot of it with my Korean sis in law, way before it was the new cocaine.

Idk. Today's "hip hop" is fucking AWFUL, and doesn't deserve to be called hip hop. So when I hear two kids straight spittin, well, yeah.
    That makes my ears perk up

Also, how come it's cool for Mexican rappers to say n"gga?

Bottom line?

These kids are rapping their asses off.

You know who ISN'T? Durk, Youngboy, Travis Scott, etc.

And lil Aubrey had a couple of good songs, but he MOSTLY fucking sucks, imho.
    HE'S ahead of the curve?
    Maybe his writers are. Maybe his producers.

But Lil Aubrey is nothing but an actor, as far as I can tell.

I DID like some of his old stuff, but I'll eat my fucking hat if he wrote it.
    - 2 years internet time lol you're not wrong.

- for me, with Rich Brian, i guess it mostly comes down to this: he comes off as corny. I can't get into him despite the fact that yes he undoubtedly can rap. Doesn't appear anything he does can shake that for me.

- to me, it's NOT ok for a Mexican rapper to say that.

- I hear you on the people around Drake are certainly a big part of him pushing his sound in diff ways. I don't believe he isn't writing his own verses for the most part. He def. has help, but I believe he in involved.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    i dont know what he's saying but that beat is bananas.