Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Rap Music

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    He's one half of Cannibal Ox. If you haven't listened to their classic Cold Vein album, I suggest you stop what you're doing and go listen to it.

Classic El-P sound.
    So.I shall.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Stuff like Cannibal Ox is basically the reason why I did prefer underground rap to mainstream artists like Jay-Z, Dr. Dre or Nas or Puffy back in the late 90s/early 00s. While the latter often seemed to compromise their art by, say, remaking 80s songs, having RnB cats singing their hooks or rapping about women and cars, the underground stuff felt much more relateable to me, myself being a melancholy white kid with a love for comics and the feeling that there should be more to life than bragging about a model you slept with. Especially when there was all kinds of Shit happening in the world, like 9/11, Bush Jr, the war in Iraq and so on...

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Primo is released an EP with a bunch of artists including Nas, Run The Jewels and Lil Wayne.

https://hiphopdx.com/news/id.71621/t...e-jewels-more#

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Cruising to this gem today.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Since we're giving Slick Rick love...

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Stuff like Cannibal Ox is basically the reason why I did prefer underground rap to mainstream artists like Jay-Z, Dr. Dre or Nas or Puffy back in the late 90s/early 00s. While the latter often seemed to compromise their art by, say, remaking 80s songs, having RnB cats singing their hooks or rapping about women and cars, the underground stuff felt much more relateable to me, myself being a melancholy white kid with a love for comics and the feeling that there should be more to life than bragging about a model you slept with. Especially when there was all kinds of Shit happening in the world, like 9/11, Bush Jr, the war in Iraq and so on...
    AMEN.

I mean, Blackalicious, J5, Del, Sage Francis, Atmosphere, Cunninlynguists, Jedi Mind Tricks, Dose One (with Subtle, and other projects), dead prez, Pikahsso, PPT, even Public Enemy...

I honestly had a friend who turned me on to a LOT of that shit, and I'm forever grateful.

Coming up in the Triple D, I ALSO loved nastier shit like Oak Cliff Assassin, Mr. Pookie, Mr. Lucci, but they were hometown heroes.

But, mos def (pun intended), I've always been way, WAY more into underground/conscious/backpack rap.
    Last edited by elevenism; 07-15-2022 at 02:52 AM.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Early 00's underground hip hop was a great antithesis to all the ghetto fabulous rap music in the mainstream. Lots of great memories being young, listening to these records and going to shows.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    my IG handle comes from a Can Ox song from that record. Just an absolutely classic album with no skips. And then everything they did after is trash lol.

A post shared by on

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Early 00's underground hip hop was a great antithesis to all the ghetto fabulous rap music in the mainstream. Lots of great memories being young, listening to these records and going to shows.

Huge 7L & Esoteric fan here. It's been great seeing them finally get some long overdue recognition with Czarface. And the amount of music they've been releasing lately has been great too.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Man, that Mr. Lif album is absolutely insane. Telling a story about an individual that goes through different phases in life is kinda reminiscent of TDS. Except that Lif ends the story with getting everyone killed in an atomic blast lol.

But thinking about it, both albums share some similar themes... like being let down by society, frustration, feeling lost, selfishness, destruction and death. Great album.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Apparently Mr. Lif has been living in Toronto for some time. If for some reason I ever run into him, I'm definitely telling him that I Phantom still holds up today haha.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    New Joey Bada$$ is pretty great.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    Dude if you don't remember, this was in response to me posting the new Rich Chig...I mean Rich Brian with Warren Hue. In fact, here:

NOW.

Idk if there's some sort of INDUSTRY thing against the cat, or some shit I don't know. This is the first track I've heard, and I don't keep up with every little bit of new, ahem, "hip hop."

But FUUUUUCK me. If you don't think these kids are rapping their fucking asses off, idk what to tell you, man. I don't understand.

This is better than 90% of the bullshit that passes for hip hop these days, in terms of pure skill.

It's also uplifting to my Asian sister in law, and my mixed niece and nephews: same as Lyrics Born and China Mac...except these two are fucking choppers who belong on a Tech 9ine record. This is something my nephew, who gets fucked with every day at school for his Korean eyes, can feel good about.

But that isn't the point.

I honestly wanna know how, and why, you think this is so much worse than all the godawful "money phone, look at these guns, look at these girls with fake asses" bullshit that's on the pop.charts these days, made by people around whom I COULD fucking rap circles if I wanted to.

Like, how is this a "don't, stop" when fucking Saweetie is blowing up. Travis Scott has good production, but he couldn't RAP his way out of a paper bag. Aubrey Graham of Degrassi: the next generation isn't a rapper, he's a team of people.

I honestly wanna know, and, no offense, what's wrong with these Asian kids chopping like Tech.

Is it that I'm supposed to be supporting O Block instead?
    ok, so I finally remembered to respond. Apologies. So the very first thing you wrote is the main reason I have never and can never give this kid any serious consideration. Calling himself Rich Chigga initially is an unforgivable offense man. That shit is fucked up & lame. I don't buy the excuses, I don't care how young he was. I don't buy the foreigner "oh I didn't really understand the word" excuse either. I'm not checking for someone who does that.

That video you posted is super lame too for me. Massive poser vibes...again, to me. I also always thought his massive internet presence was lame, and overtook what supposedly was the most important thing, his music.

I never said the kid was a worse rapper than someone like Travis, or Saweetie. Yes the kid can rap. There's a ton of rappers better than the terrible nonsense we play on my radio stations. That's not an apt comparison. I would compare him to actual MC's, like a Cole, maybe Logic? And I just have no interest in the vibe this kid gives off, sorry. I find it interesting/confusing how he clearly has a pretty big fanbase, but he's pretty quiet on the live front, even before Covid. Maybe there's a reason he can't get out of his niche & branch out into the bigger world of hip hop despite having a following.

As far as Drake, he's a pop rapper/artist and you may not like him, but he dictates basically where the entire industry goes and has for about a decade now, so you should at least pay attention. He's ahead of the curve often...the new house record is just the latest example.
    Last edited by bobbie solo; 08-11-2022 at 02:45 PM.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @bobbie solo I thought you just didn't want to respond. And that was fine.This was awhile ago: like 2 years in internet time.

So, okay. I played the race card, and perhaps I shouldn't have.
    BUT, idk. I just think these kids can rap. I digs it. This was my first Rich 'ahem" Brian song.
    And idk. I thought it went hard.

As far as posers...what, they're posing as Asian kids? The melody is literally Asian Pentatonic.
    Did you read the lyrics? They're repping their culture.
    ALSO, Asian people take Xanax and drink lean, too. Trust me. I drank a whole hell of a lot of it with my Korean sis in law, way before it was the new cocaine.

Idk. Today's "hip hop" is fucking AWFUL, and doesn't deserve to be called hip hop. So when I hear two kids straight spittin, well, yeah.
    That makes my ears perk up

Also, how come it's cool for Mexican rappers to say n"gga?

Bottom line?

These kids are rapping their asses off.

You know who ISN'T? Durk, Youngboy, Travis Scott, etc.

And lil Aubrey had a couple of good songs, but he MOSTLY fucking sucks, imho.
    HE'S ahead of the curve?
    Maybe his writers are. Maybe his producers.

But Lil Aubrey is nothing but an actor, as far as I can tell.

I DID like some of his old stuff, but I'll eat my fucking hat if he wrote it.

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    New Joey Bada$$ is pretty great.

All of the vocals on this are fucking amazing, just kill some highs on the cymbals. It just hurts my ears, and it disrupts a great track.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    @bobbie solo I thought you just didn't want to respond. And that was fine.This was awhile ago: like 2 years in internet time.

So, okay. I played the race card, and perhaps I shouldn't have.
    BUT, idk. I just think these kids can rap. I digs it. This was my first Rich 'ahem" Brian song.
    And idk. I thought it went hard.

As far as posers...what, they're posing as Asian kids? The melody is literally Asian Pentatonic.
    Did you read the lyrics? They're repping their culture.
    ALSO, Asian people take Xanax and drink lean, too. Trust me. I drank a whole hell of a lot of it with my Korean sis in law, way before it was the new cocaine.

Idk. Today's "hip hop" is fucking AWFUL, and doesn't deserve to be called hip hop. So when I hear two kids straight spittin, well, yeah.
    That makes my ears perk up

Also, how come it's cool for Mexican rappers to say n"gga?

Bottom line?

These kids are rapping their asses off.

You know who ISN'T? Durk, Youngboy, Travis Scott, etc.

And lil Aubrey had a couple of good songs, but he MOSTLY fucking sucks, imho.
    HE'S ahead of the curve?
    Maybe his writers are. Maybe his producers.

But Lil Aubrey is nothing but an actor, as far as I can tell.

I DID like some of his old stuff, but I'll eat my fucking hat if he wrote it.
    - 2 years internet time lol you're not wrong.

- for me, with Rich Brian, i guess it mostly comes down to this: he comes off as corny. I can't get into him despite the fact that yes he undoubtedly can rap. Doesn't appear anything he does can shake that for me.

- to me, it's NOT ok for a Mexican rapper to say that.

- I hear you on the people around Drake are certainly a big part of him pushing his sound in diff ways. I don't believe he isn't writing his own verses for the most part. He def. has help, but I believe he in involved.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    i dont know what he's saying but that beat is bananas.

Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

So how about that NFT shit from Em and Snoop? LOL

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    A BLATANTLY CHRISTIAN Em song?! This is all very strange.
    Em and his camp aren't promoting this song last time I checked. In fact, they won't even really acknowledge its existence.

And so yes, I'm an Esoteric Pseudo-gnostic Christian Kabahlist or whatever, but I LOVE this track, and it isn't the subject matter.

It's that he's FINALLY easing up on his recent, incessantly repetitive style. It's like watching someone do an Olympic event. Yes, it's fucking great, but I'm not gonna listen to it a bunch of times.

THIS is a damn good SONG, with great wordplay, WITHOUT the chopping. I felt the same was about Curtain Call 2 (the song.) The BEAT is fucking AMAZING. It SOUNDS like Ye's production.
    Oh. Also, it's technically a DJ Khaled song?
    At least he didn't scream anything.

My theory? Em didn't want this to come out YET. I think it was for Donda, based on some tweets from Ye back then. But then maybe Ye sold it to Khaled?
    Perhaps Em wanted to finish the Curtain Calls 2 cycle and maybe do a LITTLE something else.

Whatever the case, that's 2 new em songs in a row I'll actually burn to a disc.

Here's the other one, btw. Give me some honestly angry ass Eminem, or emotional em like When I'm Gone over anything else, all day long.

Last edited by elevenism; 09-02-2022 at 08:27 AM.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    @elevenism

That second song is not Eminem.

His verse on the DJK song is nice, too bad its a Kanye Track. Also not the first time he did a song with a religious theme. His verse on Yelawolf's Best Friend is better than this one.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burnmotherfucker! View Post
    @elevenism

That second song is not Eminem.

His verse on the DJK song is nice, too bad its a Kanye Track. Also not the first time he did a song with a religious theme. His verse on Yelawolf's Best Friend is better than this one.
    Are you fucking SERIOUS about that second song? You've got to be shitting me.

Jesus christ I wish it WAS. Who in the fuck is it? Just some unknown imposter?

With the Ye one (I refuse to call anything that eerie fucker Khaled puts out HIS), I'm NO kind of Eminem stan, but don't you think it's weird that they aren't claiming it, like it wasn't supposed to come out yet or something?
    Also, my wife is an Eminem fanatic, so I have to hear all of it, and I'd goddamn sure call that his most religious track to date.

But so ok. You're telling me there IS a good, new em verse on a yelawolf song that's halfway serious, well written, and doesn't sound like it belongs on Worldwide Choppers, but the one I REALLY dig is a hoax?

Edit: fuuuuuuuck me. I fell for that shit @burnmotherfucker! . I watch YouTube on my roku tv, and I can't see the comments. I just read them. I'm baffled.

So when I saw Eminem-Curtain Call 2, and that VEVO logo, and Kamikaze somewhere in there, and the fucker SOUNDED like em, except...well, like, how I WANT Eminem to rap, with some fucking heart, like he does on the handful of songs by him I listen to, I fell for it, hook, line and sinker.

So the Yelawolf verse is better than "Curtain Call 2?" I sure fucking hope so, because... DAMNIT. If it's not, I'm holding you personally responsible.
    Last edited by elevenism; 09-03-2022 at 07:43 AM.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Are you fucking SERIOUS about that second song? You've got to be shitting me.

Jesus christ I wish it WAS. Who in the fuck is it? Just some unknown imposter?

With the Ye one (I refuse to call anything that eerie fucker Khaled puts out HIS), I'm NO kind of Eminem stan, but don't you think it's weird that they aren't claiming it, like it wasn't supposed to come out yet or something?
    Also, my wife is an Eminem fanatic, so I have to hear all of it, and I'd goddamn sure call that his most religious track to date.

But so ok. You're telling me there IS a good, new em verse on a yelawolf song that's halfway serious, well written, and doesn't sound like it belongs on Worldwide Choppers, but the one I REALLY dig is a hoax?

Edit: fuuuuuuuck me. I fell for that shit @burnmotherfucker! . I watch YouTube on my roku tv, and I can't see the comments. I just read them. I'm baffled.

So when I saw Eminem-Curtain Call 2, and that VEVO logo, and Kamikaze somewhere in there, and the fucker SOUNDED like em, except...well, like, how I WANT Eminem to rap, with some fucking heart, like he does on the handful of songs by him I listen to, I fell for it, hook, line and sinker.

So the Yelawolf verse is better than "Curtain Call 2?" I sure fucking hope so, because... DAMNIT. If it's not, I'm holding you personally responsible.
    Hey, anyone can be fooled by just about anybody at any time. Magicians and cons make a living on this fact haha.

I knew that wasn't real though because that's just not Eminem's voice. Plus it would be weird if he just turned on a dime and went back to a blackcent like that.

I've no idea about Em's camp not acknowledging the song though? Is that what they are doing? I do know that Eminem is a pretty insane perfectionist with shit and I wouldn't be surprised if he and Kanye had worked on it and agreed it needed more work and to come back to it. And then Kanye's fool self sold it to Dj Kowhead. Who knows?

But no, the "best friend" Yelawolf track isn't new. It's from like 2015, I brought that up because it is also a religious themed verse that Em did years ago. I've never seen him be annoyingly blatant about religion like Kanye but I've also never heard him denounce it and based on his writing I've always assumed he had some sort of faith. Most rappers do. They're like athletes. But yeah, to me that verse is much better than the one on Ye's track. But music is subjective and all.

Also, I actually own an autographed copy of DJ Khaled's "The Keys", which is a motivational book. I did NOT buy this nor ask for it but the universe saw fit to put it in my possession and I've gotta tell you, it is one of the most unintentionally hilarious thing I have ever read.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Yeah @burnmotherfucker! , I'm not...I've never OWNED an Eminem album. I like a LITTLE bit of it, and the chopping is amazing, but I'm more of a Busta Rhymes/Jay Z/MF DOOM/OutKast kind of cat.

And I'm not the only one who thought "Curtain Call 2" was real.

As far as faith, though, well, like I said, his rap chain is an AA logo, and the twelve steps of that famously secular program sure do have a lot to do with "God:" they get right to it in the second one.
    Hell, inadvertent AA brainwashing is 99% of the reason I lurched from studying, say, Celtic magic, to Kaballah and Gnosticism and the Jesus movement.

And i can think of two other SLIGHTLY christian songs by eminem, and several that have underpinnings of faith, and it's not surprising or anything.
    It's just that, well...read those lyrics again: it honestly sounds more mainline protestant than fucking NF. "Bible at my side like a rifle" and "I pay so much homage to Jesus because he is the savior" and such.
    THAT'S new.
    And YEAH. As of a few days ago, last time I checked, Em and his people not ONLY haven't promoted the thing: they haven't acknowledged it's EXISTENCE, hence my theory about it possibly being released too close to a collection featuring 3AM, with the rock and roll devil horns and the juvenile jokes hidden in the numbers for the cover art.
    Your theory sounds just as plausible, though.

But it isn't that I'm excited to hear em rap about jesus.
    It's that I've never liked the goofy tracks much, and the chopping is, well, it's getting old.(from him, specifically) even though he's the best mainstream rapper to ever do that style, no doubt. (To paraphrase Tyler the Creator, who grew up on eminem, "ok, you're good at rapping really fast. We get it. It's like, GROSS at this point. Please do something different).

Rather, it's more that the Eminem verses I dig are either angry, or hold some type of emotional weight, or both, and don't NEED to be Rap God: The Fast Verse: part 37, you know what I mean?

Like that "The Way I Am" is the first time I saw the cat as much more than anything but a novelty. I dig Toy Soldiers, Mockingbird, Renegade, Not Afraid, Mosh, his verse on the LeBron thing, Darkness, Hail Mary, etc.

Sadly, now that I'm listening to "Curtain Call 2," yeah. The blackcent is pretty fucking telling and I'm surprised I fell for it now. It's weird as shit: it's like it was Em until you told me it wasn't, and now I don't know HOW in the hell I thought it was him.
    I guess it's just the vibe and style of that song are...well, like, I WISH he'd done that track.

I've been going through a lot of bullshit, too, so that probably added to me being tricked.

Edit: yeah, that Best Friend verse IS better. The Yelawolf part isn't so cool, though: I like HIM better screaming about oxycontin and shit
    Last edited by elevenism; 09-03-2022 at 09:54 PM.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Yeah @burnmotherfucker! , I'm not...I've never OWNED an Eminem album. I like a LITTLE bit of it, and the chopping is amazing, but I'm more of a Busta Rhymes/Jay Z/MF DOOM/OutKast kind of cat.

And I'm not the only one who thought "Curtain Call 2" was real.

As far as faith, though, well, like I said, his rap chain is an AA logo, and the twelve steps of that famously secular program sure do have a lot to do with "God:" they get right to it in the second one.
    Hell, inadvertent AA brainwashing is 99% of the reason I lurched from studying, say, Celtic magic, to Kaballah and Gnosticism and the Jesus movement.

And i can think of two other SLIGHTLY christian songs by eminem.
    It's just that, well...read those lyrics again: it honestly sounds more mainline protestant than fucking NF. "Bible at my side like a rifle" and "I pay so much homage to Jesus because he is the savior" and such.
    THAT'S new.

But it isn't that I'm excited to hear em rap about jesus.
    It's that I've never liked the goofy tracks much, and the chopping is, well, it's getting old.(from him, specifically) even though it's amazing.

It's more that the Eminem verses I dig are either angry, or hold some type of emotional weight, or both, and don't NEED to be Rap God: The Fast Verse: part 37, you know what I mean?

Like that "The Way I Am" is the first time I saw the cat as much more than anything but a novelty. I dig Toy Soldiers, Mockingbird, Renegade, his verse on the LeBron thing, etc.

Sadly, now that I'm listening to "Curtain Call 2," yeah. The blackcent is pretty fucking telling and I'm surprised I fell for it now. It's weird as shit: it's like it was Em until you told me it wasn't, and now I don't know HOW in the hell I thought it was him.
    I guess it's just the vibe and style of that song are...well, like, I WISH he'd done that track.

I've been going through a lot of bullshit, too, so I was caught off guard.
    Yeah I bet that track fooled a lot of folks.

And lmao at the idea of AA being secular. That shit is a cult. But it also helps some people so if it helps then I say there's no harm in it. Penn & Teller did an episode about it on their amazing show "Bullshit" a few years back. Yeah, basically relapse rates among AA members are equivalent to people who get no help and just quit on their own. But again, it's gonna come down to the individual.

Some of the Em lines are definitely double entendres and metaphor. The Bible being the rhyme book, God being the "god", etc. But yeah his sign off line is very clearly just praises to Jesus so I think it is sincere enough. The cult of Kanye's ego wouldn't have let him on the track if it wasn't I'm sure.

The choppy flow is, as someone who plays bass very poorly, him playing with staccato. It is very unmelodic like his earlier stuff was and it is definitely more drum and rhythm based and is not nearly as catchy. I get it though, it's the rap equivalent of a guitarist doing a tapping solo. Impressive but tiring.

I like those old tracks of his you mention too but if I'm being honest my favorite version of Em was the wild, say anything, horror core rapper from SSLP and MMLP. Role Model for example. But also, people need to give the guy a break. He's not a 20 year old drug addict in an abusive relationship with a toddler to raise anymore. He grew up and isn't angry anymore. Yeah the music isn't as impactful but the guys life must be better now. Plus as far as I'm concerned he went further than anyone else in terms of his career. I mean Jay and Nas also did their best work right out the gate as most rappers do. 3 Stacks retired. Most rappers just mail it in, at least Em still cares about the craft itself.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @burnmotherfucker! i was still editing that post when you quoted it, so i also mentioned these tracks: Not Afraid, Mosh, his verse on the LeBron thing, Darkness, Hail Mary, etc.

Don't get me wrong, though. I don't DISLIKE Eminem, and he MAY be the best wordsmith of all time.
    And i LOVE chopping. Guitar solo is a good approximation; i think i went with watching an amazing athlete earlier.

It's just, yeah: it's not the sort of thing i'm gonna LISTEN to on a daily basis. I mean, i listen to every album and single he puts out, and it's always like OH MY GOD, with the fast stuff. But when i burn a CD for the car, that's a different set of songs, WITH the exception of some of the mind blowing stuff that's also catchy as fuck, like your Rap Gods and your Godzillas and, omg, please tell me i don't sound like DJK.

Like, THEY DON'T PLAY THAT SHIT AT THE BARBERSHOP OR IN THE RIDE! WE MAKE THE BEST MUSIC!

:P

nah man, it's honestly hard to explain, why i come back to some songs and not others. i mean, shit: i've owned like ten copies of E.1999, and all those fuckers do is speed rap.

It's not all about anger or shit talking, either. I like his inspiring shit a WHOLE lot, you know?

And i love EVERYTHING about em's verse on the yelawolf track, and it's better than the DJK by far.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    @burnmotherfucker! i was still editing that post when you quoted it, so i also mentioned these tracks: Not Afraid, Mosh, his verse on the LeBron thing, Darkness, Hail Mary, etc.

Don't get me wrong, though. I don't DISLIKE Eminem, and he MAY be the best wordsmith of all time.
    And i LOVE chopping. Guitar solo is a good approximation; i think i went with watching an amazing athlete earlier.

It's just, yeah: it's not the sort of thing i'm gonna LISTEN to on a daily basis. I mean, i listen to every album and single he puts out, and it's always like OH MY GOD, with the fast stuff. But when i burn a CD for the car, that's a different set of songs, WITH the exception of some of the mind blowing stuff that's also catchy as fuck, like your Rap Gods and your Godzillas and, omg, please tell me i don't sound like DJK.

Like, THEY DON'T PLAY THAT SHIT AT THE BARBERSHOP OR IN THE RIDE! WE MAKE THE BEST MUSIC!

:P

nah man, it's honestly hard to explain, why i come back to some songs and not others. i mean, shit: i've owned like ten copies of E.1999, and all those fuckers do is speed rap.

It's not all about anger or shit talking, either. I like his inspiring shit a WHOLE lot, you know?

And i love EVERYTHING about em's verse on the yelawolf track, and it's better than the DJK by far.
    Yeah I know exactly what you're saying. I came of age during the 90s-00s era. But you just can't catch lightning in a bottle twice. His early stuff just sounded like a stick of dynamite going off. Yeah, he was already technical back then but there was also this other factor there. And it had nothing to do with the technical ability. DMX had it too and he was far from technical, the track just felt like it would melt your speakers. Biggie had that. Not many rappers ever had that though.

I really don't even like or listen to rap all that much anymore tbh. I just can't, unless it's older stuff I have nostalgia for. And even then I'm usually reminded how young and dumb I was back then. It just seems so pedestrian compared to other genres these days. But that's me. I think I just fell out of love with it and I also think hip hop culture is pretty fucking toxic in a lot of ways. Not to paint with a broad brush, I know there's exceptions, but just on the whole. The stuff that gets attention these days? I mean I figure you'd have to have an IQ under 80 to actually like most of it. Old man yells at cloud...

I think Em's current style peaked at Kamikaze. The real reason I appreciate his modern style is because I used to listen to him when I'd go on long runs. It's perfect for that. The same reasons no one would throw it on at a party is why it works so well for cardio. But MMLP it ain't. Jay is never going to top Blueprint or the Black album, Nas never beat illmatic, Wu-Tang never beat 36 Chambers. It is a genre by youth for youth at the end of the day. And that's ok.

Oh, and you're right about Yelawolf's part of that track. The version I had was just Em's verse cut off in a mixtape or something. Yelawolf has skill but yeah, that's just not my kinda thing.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    @burnmotherfucker!

I feel you man, regarding hip hop today, 100%. I don't count 99% of today's "hip hop" as being the same GENRE. First there was the idiotic soundcloud era, but what's taken its place?
    It's mindless, and it's getting people.killed.

It's white people in board rooms promoting the worst kind of gangster rap imaginable, signing black kids and literally taking out LIFE INSURANCE POLICIES on them, and then selling the music to kids in the suburbs, while the artists shoot each other and OD, and then the old white guys REALLY start making money when the kids are dead. It's evil as fuck, and it's racist. Demon time! Yay! Fuuuuuuck that.

But I still listen to a fuckton of hip hop, and it doesn't remind me of being dumb. It's mostly old conscious stuff.

I listen to Outkast and Busta and Fugees and Bone and Tribe and UGK and DOOM and the Black Eyed Peas when they were hip hop, John Forte, Rah Digga, let's see, and the Roots, PE, Wyclef, Digable Planets, Arrested Development, Digital Underground, some 90s Dallas stuff, H-Town stuff, Black Sheep, fucking Kriss Kross, Weezy Baby...i could go on and on, and I think I've mentioned a lot of this already.
    i also ADORE every Jay album up through and including Blueprint 3.

I also love shit like Subtle/DoseOne, Del the Funky Homosapien, Blackalicious, Pharcyde, Sage Francis, Beast 1333, J5, JMT, Immortal Technique, and a BUNCH of obscure older underground shit.
    And if i'm not listening to burned CDs, I listen to the Rock the Bells station on XM when I'm driving: classic hip hop, from the late 70s to about 08 or so.

And I mean, ok, SOMEWHAT more recently, we've had Das Racist, who I fucking ADORE, Lakutis, Odd Future when they were Odd Future, you've got your Joey Badass and Capitol Steez, fucking TYLER and EARL ffs, Chance the Rapper's Acid Rap and Donnie Trumpet/SOX, and the new shit he's putting out after the two bad ones, and like, Kendrick, Earthgang, Danny Brown...there's SOME good shit. I'm just getting into J Cole.
    And then of course I LOOOOOVE fucking ghostemane: it's like if TDS and E.1999 created an unholy child at a Golden Dawn Ritual.

I've never been too big into the violent shit, or the super ultra misogyny, with a few exceptions: Doggystyle, just like most people my age, Bone because "the same reason I got into NIN" more or less: it was mysterious and frightening and insanely unique, DMX because he was almost like two different people, T.I. was just kind of revolutionary, and I mean, UGK and and the Houston scene because, well, you know.

I guess I still MOSTLY listen to hip hop: just, you know, NOT the shit I described at the beginning of this post.

You say old man yelling at cloud. Dude. I won an award from the Dallas.Morning News for an editorial on censorship, about album cover art. I'm violently opposed to censorship. But I've wondered about people maybe getting terroristic threat charges for some of these lyrics.

This shit that's popular now, where two of these kids are getting shot per week, and Akademiks is keeping body count scores like it's cool, and people are rapping about smoking other people's ashes?
    Nah, man. Fuuuuuuck THAT shit.

Despite birthing some good tunes, the OLD gangsta shit kind took hip hop in the wrong direction.
    But TODAY'S shit is soooooooo much worse, because so much of it is 100% real and PERSONAL. It's the antithesis of the origins and the 4 elements, of the days of political change and party music.

You know what else I love? True Crime. The shit topping the charts these days? I don't listen to it. I watch gang war documentaries about it. YNW Melly and cats like that are characters in Trap Lore Ross docs, you feel me? And that's fucking sad.
    Last edited by elevenism; 09-04-2022 at 02:42 AM.