Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Rap Music

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brotha52 View Post
    With the recent Tobacco hype, I wanted to remind you all about this collab. with Aesop Rock

Also, wanted to plug this album, after a week it's still in rotation and has a nice West Coast sound even if it did come out of Minneapolis.
    Felt 4 U is amazing! I bought it after hearing the first track. I love the west coast/G-funk vibe it's got going on, reminds me a LOT of Dr. Dre (a very good thing!). I'm only just beginning to dip my toes into Tobacco and Black Moth Super Rainbow. I actually checked out a track or two from Malibu Ken earlier today for the first time, as well. Have you listened to Prof's Powderhorn Suites at all?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tobacco collaborated with a lot of rappers through the years. "Lick the Witch" in its EP form features Rob Sonic (he's the guy who did the "no atheists in the air" part on Flyentology). It appears in this video at 5:44:

Rob Sonic is a very underrated rapper imo. He's usually even producing his songs himself, for which he uses all types of analogue synthesizers:

The group he was in before going solo was once dubbed as the Radiohead of Hip Hop.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katara View Post
    Can anyone recommend any rap with similar production to Trent's remix of Puff Daddy's 'Victory'?

Aside from the misogyny and homophobic slurs in the lyrics, I love what's going on here.
    That's pretty tough, since it's Trent and all. Maybe give dälek a shot:

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    @katara dalek is incredible. The whole Absence and From Filthy Tongue of Gods and Griots albums are damn near perfect hip hop albums. All their albums are great too.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I wonder if Hip Hop and music in general will because harder, more raw and confrontational as a result of everything that's going on.

New LOX is good too. The Large Professor track is the cream of the crop.

I've also been enjoying the new Nas a lot. I think it's one of his most consistent albums

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Grimy street shit from Toronto.

Daniel Son.

Futurewave might be one of my fav new producers. He's like RZA meets Muggs.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Conway the Machine is a beast!

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    I'm hardly a rap expert, but my personal favorite rap album ever is Original Gangsta by Ice T. Bought it the other week and listened to it for the first time since I was 12 or 13. Love that album. Love Ice T. Always thought he awesome.

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    New Eminem record dropped today. How the fuck are they able to press 4 records and only charge $54 for it?!? That’s clearly $80, even more since it’s colored. #deviationsIsAScam

https://shop.eminem.com/collections/...32866192064559

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    A friend turned me on to Clipping and I can't get enough of their latest album.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tony.parente View Post
    New Eminem record dropped today. How the fuck are they able to press 4 records and only charge $54 for it?!? That’s clearly $80, even more since it’s colored. #deviationsIsAScam

https://shop.eminem.com/collections/...32866192064559
    How is it??

Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Self.Destructive.Pattern View Post
    How is it??
    Just ok. It’s crazy he’s FOURTY EIGHT though.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Why am I just finding out that Afroman released a Christmas album? It's hilarious

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

first song out from the posthumous Phife Dawg album thats coming. J Dilla beat. It's marvelous.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    New album produced by The Alchemist.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    For those who haven't kept up with rap news, DMX (Earl Simmons) was rushed to a hospital in White Plains, NY following a heart attack at his home on April 2nd. The suspected cause is an overdose. He has had lung and brain failure and was put on life support so the outcome looks very grim.

Personally, I thought that DMX set himself aside from all of other rappers coming up around the same time with his unique delivery, storytelling, lyricism, and overall east cost grittiness. When his contemporaries like Jay-Z were becoming more commercial and making pop/R&B crossover hits, DMX was always the guy who kept it real. Having said that, DMX had his fair share of club bangers too (Who remembers Party Up in Here!?). DMX had also a very good selection of introspective songs and dare I say a sensitive side with songs like Slippin', Let Me Fly, and Prayer.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Like you said, he was definitely one of the only major rappers that kept it real. I really hope he comes through this. His music was definitely a part of my life growing up.

I met him many years ago outside next to my job, he was at a hobby shop buying remote control race cars.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    RIP Earl Simmons AKA DMX. 1970 - 2021. This one hit harder than all of the other rappers who passed in my lifetime (I was too young to listen to rap when Tupac or Biggie passed). His music was the first real rap that I listened to back in 2000/01 and he remained one of the last true artists in the industry. Unfortunately his demons caught up to him, which is tragic since he seemed to have been recovering from hard living in the last couple of years.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xen View Post
    RIP Earl Simmons AKA DMX. 1970 - 2021. This one hit harder than all of the other rappers who passed in my lifetime (I was too young to listen to rap when Tupac or Biggie passed)...
    Me too, man. Pac got killed pretty quickly after I started listening to him, so there wasn't some deep emotional thing going on for me with that. It reminds me of some song I heard that says something like "I didn't cry when Pac died, but I will when Hova does."

Also, it's horrible that all these younger artists are overdosing and getting shot, but that just isn't the hip hop I listen to. The first rapper that we lost that REALLY hit me hard was MF DOOM, and now, DMX.

After reading your post, it occurred to me that this is one of the first HUGE name rappers to go, for those of us who got SERUOSLY into hip hop in the JayZ/Nas generation rather than the Biggie/Pac era. It's only separated by a very few years, but they were FORMATIVE years, you know?

I mean, it sounds like I'm a little older than you- I was 16 when Pac got killed, but it still applies.
    Last edited by elevenism; 04-10-2021 at 01:46 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I feel you too, this was definitely heavier for me as it's the first time one of the artists that I listened to in my youth passed away. I'm 34 right now, so I was 9 when 2Pac was murdered and 10 when Biggie passed. I kind of stopped listening to mainstream rap about 10 years ago, so I haven't kept up with the latest trends in hip-hop. MF-DOOM was also difficult when I found out but in all honesty but I wasn't a huge fan of his work like I was for DMX. I grew up in a fairly conservative family that looked down on rap music, but it didn't stop me from discovering rappers like DMX, Nas, Jay-Z, Eminem and such from friends at junior high school at the time. The cool kids at school at the time were all listening to rap, and I was getting picked on by some of them because I was nerd, so I had this idea to "freestyle" to them to show them how cool I was. Looking back it was so stupid, but I managed to say "X' Gon Give It To Ya" in my lines (my last name starts with an X) and that drew a huge reaction from those guys and they left me alone for the rest of the time in school. That's one of the moments that stood out for me in my youth, using a line from a DMX song to stand up to my bullies.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Anyone here big into Jay-Z? My friend has this cassette. It was given to her in late '95 early '96 in an elevator in NC by someone affiliated with Jay-Z, I guess whom ever it was gave one to everyone in the elevator. I've known her forever, she isn't into Jay-Z and the only reason she held on to it for this long was because she thought it was cool and Jay-Z got pretty big. I have been very unsuccessful at finding out anything about this. There is no discogs entry, no pictures of it in any google search I do. I feel like if this was widely distributed there would be some information on the internet somewhere.

Anyway we're trying to figure out how rare this possibly is and what kind of monetary value it could hold. She's not going to sell it or anything. I know that figuring out how much it could be worth is purely subjective because it's really all about how much someone is willing to spend on it and what the market is for Jay-Z items. I didn't know where to ask for help with this and I figured my best first stop would be here. If no one has any idea but could point me in the direction of someone who could help it would be appreciated. Thanks all!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Depends of its rarity.
    Since you couldn't find it on the internet it might be worth something.
    I think reddit would be a decent place to ask around.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    Depends of its rarity.
    Since you couldn't find it on the internet it might be worth something.
    I think reddit would be a decent place to ask around.
    I found what I thought would be a great sub-reddit called "hip hop heads". I tried to post there but it got flagged immediately and didn't post. There doesn't seem to be a Jay-Z subreddit that would be good for this either. I never post on Reddit and barely go on there so I'm not exactly sure what I did wrong in my post. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

edit 1: Woo i tried to post there again and it worked this time!! Hoping for the best. Thanks again!!

edit 2: It got flagged and removed...again...WTF am i doing wrong???
    Last edited by Fadeout54321; 04-14-2021 at 09:11 AM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Revisited the Psycho Realm debut album recently and it's still so fucking good. This is a side project by the Cypress Hill rapper from 1997. He joined this group for their debut and guested on almost every song. Yet, the other two guys are equally as good at rapping. Lyrically it's a great album, too. It's very dark and tackles a lot of themes that are just as relevant today... like drug abuse, toxic masculinity, (gun) violence, war, etc. One of the guys got shot shortly after, making him disabled from the neck up, so this is basically their only completed album.

Mentioned
    253 Post(s)
    First DMX and then Shock G... this New Yorker article gets into how hard it is to survive as a hip-hop artist into middle age.
    Last edited by botley; 05-03-2021 at 01:45 PM.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Link is gone