Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Rap Music

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    After the awesomeness that was the double whammy of R.A.P. Music and Cancer 4 Cure, El-P and Killer Mike have teamed up as Run The Jewels

They will be releasing a full album this summer online for free. Titties.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

De La Soul was known for making more upbeat, positive stuff in the day, so this track (beats by J Dilla) blindsided everyone. It's fucking raw and sinister and delicious, and it's totally unexpected from either De La Soul or J Dilla. Been a favorite of mine forever.
    Last edited by Clownboat; 05-19-2013 at 05:47 PM.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    and they'd better perform it when I see them with LL Cool J, Ice Cube & Public Enemy 6/19

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Re: Rap Music

P.O.S and Astronautalis join up and form a new group. Sounds pretty good to me. I put the direct link to the song in as SC glitches when trying to use embedded links for me.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/music/...sive_premi.php

http://soundcloud.com/doomtree/6666-...rce=soundcloud

Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    I haven't really gotten into rap either, but Punks Jump Up To Get Beat Down by Brand Nubian has to be by far one of the rap songs that immediately clicked with me. I found out about it after looking up some of Hed PE's rap influences.

Last edited by Halo Infinity; 09-07-2013 at 05:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Last edited by nin5in; 09-08-2013 at 12:32 AM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    New Billy Woods project (with Elucid):

Highly recommended.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Death Grips entire discography, especially this album

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xmd 5a View Post
    New Billy Woods project (with Elucid):

Highly recommended.
    They also put up a free project a few weeks ago: http://armandhammer.bandcamp.com/

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    I have never really been into rap. I always ran the other direction musically. Boy, was I so close minded. My musical tastes has been so varied within the last few years: I'm embracing everything. I freakin' love Death Grips. The Cool Kids' The Bake Sale is a really good album.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    I have never really been into rap. I always ran the other direction musically. Boy, was I so close minded. My musical tastes has been so varied within the last few years: I'm embracing everything. I freakin' love Death Grips. The Cool Kids' The Bake Sale is a really good album.
    [Death Grips is what made me get back into rap music after walking away from the genre due to frustration with the lack of originality and lyrical content. Death Grips is considered experimental though, some even call it noise-rap. It consists of so many different genres, ranging from industrial to prog-rock. Plus Zach Hill is an awesome ass drummer.
    Last edited by nin5in; 11-02-2013 at 07:35 AM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Not really into rap music--just not my thing. A lot of it sounds pretty redundant to me and I hate the macho posturing. That said, I love Public Enemy, The Chronic, Eminem's early albums and a few others.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Die Antwoord: $O$

I have a girl crush on Yolandi Visser.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Black Moon were awesome, this is my favorite Black Moon track, first heard it on a Massive Attack mixtape. Such a sexy track.

It has a certain Dope fueled vibe which reminds me of the fact i cant stop listening to this one either at the moment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Rap Music

Quote Originally Posted by Charmingly Miserable View Post
    Die Antwoord: $O$

I have a girl crush on Yolandi Visser.
    Yes, they are pretty cool.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    im actually ok with the top 10 in this list, except id put danny brown at #1, bronson higher up and slip earl into the top 10. rest of the list is whatever for the most part.

http://www.stereogum.com/1595461/the...-of-2013/list/

overall i can't help but think rap has been much more exciting than any other genre i've listened to in recent memory.

edit: ha, i just realized i started this thread under my old screen name. guess i was really into danny brown last year too
    Last edited by TheyCallMeDrug; 12-16-2013 at 11:47 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    It's KA, Danny Brown and Run The Jewels in the top 3 for me this year.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    These guys just keep churning out awesomeness

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    ^Yeah, I'm late to the Run the Jewels game. I just downloaded it yesterday and haven't finished listening to the whole thing but from what I heard and read, both El-P and Killer Mike are at the top of their game.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    No way is this better than a record by Nas featuring production by Pete Rock, Primo, Large Pro and Q-Tip. It's a solid effort 'though.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    FWIW I think 2013/2012 had been great years for rap music. If you're into rap with great lyrics and that typical NY flavour I'd suggest you listen to KA. He's been killing it with his albums "Grief Pedigree" and "The Night's Gambit".

Mentioned
    551 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post

Part of my punishment was being forced to read the track titles out loud to my dad when he came home from work that night, which included such doozies as "Bichassniguz", "Getdafucout", "Im'a Bust Dat Ass", "Blac Vagina Finda" and "Da Nex Niguz"
    ... and then when you got to "Slam" he said "oh, it's that shitty group?"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I remember this girl was awesome, she seemed fucking tough.

This is what Death Grips want to sound like. Hip Hop never really took off in London, it was more about Jungle, Ragga,Trip Hop, Rave but a few good tunes came out sort of influenced by the bomb squad.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Been listening to this a lot lately:

AZ was the only guest spot on Nas' Illmatic album a year prior. Nas returns the favor by showing up on one of the tracks on this record. Track for track, it's almost a musical companion piece to Illmatic.

But for all the acclaim Illmatic receives, this is the better of the two albums, in my opinion. The songs leave a better lasting first impression and grow richer the more time you spend with them. Plus, the beats are fucking sublime. Well worth checking out if you like underground NYC hip-hop from the 90's.
    Because of your post I found this album and gave it a few listens. Although this album contains a few really good songs... I would never say it's close to or surpasses Illmatic. The reason for this is that Doe Or Die also features a couple really cheesy choruses and weak tracks. "Sugar Hill Baby. Sugar Hill!" being an example of a cheesy section of one of those songs.

However, the solid songs are well worth listening to and AZ has a nice up-beat, technically strong flow.... You can feel that AZ comes from the same school as Nas. I will eventually pare this album down to a really good one with the removal of some songs.
    Last edited by cashpiles (closed); 12-31-2013 at 03:28 AM.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    One of my favorite hip hop albums of all time is The Shining by J Dilla and company. Every track is a classic.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I thought The Shining lacked something as it sounded unfinished (as it probably was unfinished at the time of Dilla's passing). It's a bit all over the place, sonically. His best album, imo, is still Fantastic Vol. II by Slum Village, followed by his own release, Ruff Draft.

I also love this production of his... it really shows his Detroit techno influences:

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    I don't know if I should post this here, in the Run The Jewels thread or both?
    Run The Jewels is playing the Jimmy Fallon Show on Jan. 22nd

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    New Cool Kids coming out. Yes!!!!!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Danny brown recently played on the Jimmy Kimmel show. Pretty good although I would have chosen a different song from the album Old to showcase.

Lately I have been listening to more Scroobius Pip and Dan Le Sac, specifically Angels:

Angels really is an amazing album I keep coming to, as well as Distraction Pieces and No commercial Breaks.

Dan Le Sac's solo albums are not so bad either.

Edit: dan le sac Vs Scroobius pip is currently on tour in the U.K.
    Last edited by ziltoid; 01-26-2014 at 04:32 PM.