Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Rap album of the year just dropped:

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by october_midnight View Post
    Oh shit! Nearly 24 years later, Black Star is back.
    I never thought I'd see the day of someone posting "Black Star is back."

This is amazing... Cannot wait for this.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Can't see the Black Star project being amazing. I'd be shocked if Mos Def still has it. Talib is still solid, but Mos....I dunno. Hope I'm wrong.

Funny that, as of now, the Wu/Nas 'NY State of Mind' tour doesn't have an NYC date. Pru Center in Newark is close and works great for me, but still.

I need to hear something from this new Kendrick, b/c so far the roll out has me non-plused. He's calling himself "Oklama" now, and the record is gonna be called "Mr. Morale & the Big Steppers".

Um, ok.

Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    I would get this for my cats, but it's too big, lmao

Ruff Ryders Dog Collar
    https://www.hottopic.com/product/ruf.../17828103.html

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    The new Pusha T is excellent! All killer, no filler. Kanye was involved with the beats on half of it, and Pharrell on the other half. Every track is a big tune.

Last edited by mfte; 04-27-2022 at 08:38 AM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mfte View Post
    The new Pusha T is excellent! All killer, no filler. Kanye was involved with the beats on half of it, and Pharrell on the other half. Every track is a big tune.

What are the bars like, though? Because, man i just don't really get into the whole drug dealer rap thing unless it's fucking AMAZINGLY excellent.

I like Busta, Fugees, Kast, MF DOOM, Hova, Tech 9ine, Roots, Tribe, DMX, Common, Dead Prez, OF, Blackalicious, Das Racist, Bone, Joey Bad, Rah Digga, Tyler, Mos Def, Earl, Lost Boyz, Onyx, Kendrick, J5, old Chano, hell-Dose One from Subtle, Sage Francis, Atmosphere, Del, Pac, Lil Jon, Weezy Baby, Em, and a WHOLE bunch of other more shit from the 80s and 90s and 00s. I could go on and on.

Now some of those people bring up dope. But i mean, from what i've gathered, that's the entire focus of his solo music. Pusha-T is 45 years old. He's TALENTED, but how many cocaines do you think he's sold since he linked up with Neptunes? And yeah, i dug Neck and Wrist, but it's like, Jay-Z was putting himself into a particular frame of mind when he wrote...oh, sorry...randomly came up with that verse

It doesn't fit with much of his recent output.

I guess the bottom line is just that i can't RELATE to being a coke dealer, and i'm too old to fantasize about it.

And ain't that like, what he does? Coke rap?

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    "Let the Smokers Shine the Coupes" is immediately in the top 10 Pharrell beats.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elevenism View Post
    What are the bars like, though? Because, man i just don't really get into the whole drug dealer rap thing unless it's fucking AMAZINGLY excellent.

I like Busta, Fugees, Kast, MF DOOM, Hova, Tech 9ine, Roots, Tribe, DMX, Common, Dead Prez, OF, Blackalicious, Das Racist, Bone, Joey Bad, Rah Digga, Tyler, Mos Def, Earl, Lost Boyz, Onyx, Kendrick, J5, old Chano, hell-Dose One from Subtle, Sage Francis, Atmosphere, Del, Pac, Lil Jon, Weezy Baby, Em, and a WHOLE bunch of other more shit from the 80s and 90s and 00s. I could go on and on.

Now some of those people bring up dope. But i mean, from what i've gathered, that's the entire focus of his solo music. Pusha-T is 45 years old. He's TALENTED, but how many cocaines do you think he's sold since he linked up with Neptunes? And yeah, i dug Neck and Wrist, but it's like, Jay-Z was putting himself into a particular frame of mind when he wrote...oh, sorry...randomly came up with that verse

It doesn't fit with much of his recent output.

I guess the bottom line is just that i can't RELATE to being a coke dealer, and i'm too old to fantasize about it.

And ain't that like, what he does? Coke rap?
    Pretty much. Push made and continues to make his career from coke raps, beefs raps and goading Cash Money Records' artists into conflict.

You make a fair point. If you're not into that, then you're not into it.

I'm not all that much into coke raps but over and above his bars, he knows how to package it and make a solid album. Like Nas is arguably better than JayZ but Jay knew how to make dope albums that people like where as Nas struggled for a long time to make anything as listenable as Illmatic or It Was Written.

The fact that Push can spend his whole career rapping about the same thing and still be engaging is, for me, a testament to his artistry.

...and hearing Malice spit his verse over those organ chords gives me chills

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    we got Push on Summer Jam this year...

80% of the rest of the lineup I will not defend.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    we got Push on Summer Jam this year...

80% of the rest of the lineup I will not defend.
    Pusha is definitely talented.
    Young Thug is interesting, at least.
    Cordae is...well, everyone SAYS he's promising.
    NLE Choppa is better than some of his contemporaries.

But yeah, a whole big bunch of that shit just isn't for me, man.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    New Black Star is incredibly refreshing. The end of Freequency is so prettyyy.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r_z View Post
    Rap album of the year just dropped:

Not only that, but possibly my album of the year all together. This thing is incredible.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    The hype is real for this new Kendrick.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    No. Stop.
    Dude if you don't remember, this was in response to me posting the new Rich Chig...I mean Rich Brian with Warren Hue. In fact, here:

NOW.

Idk if there's some sort of INDUSTRY thing against the cat, or some shit I don't know. This is the first track I've heard, and I don't keep up with every little bit of new, ahem, "hip hop."

But FUUUUUCK me. If you don't think these kids are rapping their fucking asses off, idk what to tell you, man. I don't understand.

This is better than 90% of the bullshit that passes for hip hop these days, in terms of pure skill.

It's also uplifting to my Asian sister in law, and my mixed niece and nephews: same as Lyrics Born and China Mac...except these two are fucking choppers who belong on a Tech 9ine record. This is something my nephew, who gets fucked with every day at schoolfor his Korean eyes, can feel good about.

But that isn't the point.

I honestly wanna know how, and why, you think this is so much worse than all the godawful "money phone, look at these guns, look at these girls with fake asses" bullshit that's on the pop.charts these days, made by people around whom I COULD fucking rap circles if I wanted to.

Like, how is this a "don't, stop" when fucking Saweetie is blowing up. Travis Scott has good production, but he couldn't RAP his way out of a paper bag. Aubrey Graham of Degrassi: the next generation isn't a rapper, he's a team of people.

I honestly wanna know, and, no offense, what's wrong with these Asian kids chopping like Tech.

Is it that I'm supposed to be supporting O Block instead?
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-05-2022 at 02:37 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Point is: rapping your ass off doesn't necessarily make for great music. See: Eminem.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Point is: rapping your ass off doesn't necessarily make for great music. See: Eminem.

And Logic (though his most recent singles have been actually really good honestly)

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    Um.. Eminem? i don't know what to say to that.
    No, Em isn't my favorite music. I agree. But anyone who says he isn't fucking amazing is lying.

AND, does what YOU said deserve a "don't, no, stop," when the flow is fucking amazing?

Because of what (rhetorical) YOU think about their delivery or whatever?

Idk. I'd take 1 of the track i posted over a 100 song mixtape from Saweetie/Kodak Black/ etc.

I'd definitely ALSO put the track i posted up against a whole lot of Waka Flocka and...man, you know what i mean.

and you know i have mad love for you @bobbie solo .
    I'm still waiting for YOU to answer this.

Maybe i'm a little biased because my fam is asian, but, i don't think so.

edit: and how come you clicked like in the first place, when i first found the track, @r_z ?
    Last edited by elevenism; 06-08-2022 at 02:16 PM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    I'm all up for broaden your horizon, that's why I clicked like on a rap song from Asia.

And then I was just pointing out that being great at rapping doesn't necessarily translate into good music. Like, Eminem may technically be one of the best rappers of the last 25 years, but that didn't stop him from releasing songs/albums that sucked.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Eminem's rapping ability is like Yngwie Malmsteen's guitar playing ability. It's impressive but it doesn't make me want to put it on and listen to it.

Having said that, there are handful of really great Eminem songs.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    I agree with Eminem. He is God tier, but there are a good amount of songs on his most recent albums that are very hit and miss. There are so many tracks that break the landscape for me, I still look forward to throwing on songs I have heard a million times from him, but I have to take it in small doses.

This happens with me with a lot of Rap Music, especially in the mid 90's to early 00's where every album had over 17 tracks on it. Just straight up fatigue rolls in, no matter who I'm listening to.

This is one of Em's best tracks ever imo, and straight up just destroys it, even if Royce's verse is so damn good.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Oh, OK.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    So I've revisited XXXtentacion.

And I see a tortured artist, battling his demons and pouring his heart out on wax.

Full disclosure, I have a domestic charge. It didn't involve barbecue forks, and it goddamn sure wasn't premeditated, and I don't even REMEMBER it, but I was facing football numbers for a minute.

The kid was trying to change, and then they murdered him. I think he HAD changed.

The documentary shed a new light on everything, for me.

Idk. I dig it.

So that makes one ...two...three...wait, sorry...one.

ONE rappers I like from the new generation. One convenient locations.

Him and Ghostemane.
    Last edited by elevenism; 07-02-2022 at 04:00 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    I love the degree of hip hop literacy around here, and the unparalleled amount of discussion.
    @bobbie solo , I fucking MISSED Busta, because my niece and nephew insisted we go to Lakeside Park, a small amusement park in the Denver metro.

It was well worth it, though. Spot was fucking indescribably amazing, if you're into theme park/carnival shit like , AT ALL.

Meanwhile, I finally have a way to bur...I mean, buy, CDs again, and I've been listening to:

MM...FOOD by Metal Fingers Doom

Fugees: a bunch of trax from The Score, alongside tracks from Bootleg Versions and few Tranzlator Crew joints from Blunted on Reality

And, a bunch of Jigga, including a couple from Collision Course.

It really, really seriously blows that there isn't more discussion, here. I always assumed there would be more NIN super fans who were also into hip hop.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    MM...FOOD by Metal Fingers Doom
    Here's a great song from those album's sessions that appeared on Vast Aire's first solo album:

And here's one from Count Bass D's album from the same year:

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Was just talking to a friend that is a fan of the Jay-Z/NAS beef. I find it so cool, growing up as a kid listening to these two go at each other and now having someone 8 years younger than me showing interest .

I always preferred NAS' music and diss tracks over Jay, and found Jay-Z incredibly overrated growing up. But damn... Collision Course was huge back then and I still dig it, along with Renegade feat Em; Blueprint was ok from what I rememeber. Reasonable Doubt, Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 I found myself listening to most of the time.

NAS I found to be a better lyricist and his music just hits different. Illmatic and It Was Written are damn near perfect albums.
    Last edited by Self.Destructive.Pattern; 07-04-2022 at 06:48 PM.

Mentioned
    733 Post(s)
    O wow @r_z

what is Vast Aire?

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    O wow @r_z

what is Vast Aire?
    He's one half of Cannibal Ox. If you haven't listened to their classic Cold Vein album, I suggest you stop what you're doing and go listen to it.

Classic El-P sound.
    Last edited by mfte; 07-07-2022 at 07:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lil Darkie
    <span style="color:#000000;">