Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Doors

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

The Doors

How the hell do they not have their own thread? It was 50 years ago today that they released their self-titled debut.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 04-09-2024 at 10:51 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Really always thought the Doors had a thread, Their first album was a monster. Does anybody have the doors box set Perception?

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    I do like the Doors' music though I think Jim Morrison is an overrated icon. I don't think that movie Oliver Stone did about the band is very good at all. In fact, I think it's one of the worst films ever made. I did read Ray Manzerek's book back in the 1990s which was way more interesting than what Stone did. I really liked what the band did on albums like the first one, Morrison Hotel, and L.A. Woman.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Your Name Here View Post
    Really always thought the Doors had a thread, Their first album was a monster. Does anybody have the doors box set Perception?
    I have it. Thing is, they released a boxset in 1999, so another one in 2007 seemed kind of pointless. I do like the box better, less flimsy. The bonus songs/videos on the DVDs could have been better. Why not include an entire show if you are throwing in a DVD. Also, it was a mistake not to include the post-Morrison albums, Other Voices and Full Circle. Glad to see that they have since been reissued.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thevoid99 View Post
    I do like the Doors' music though I think Jim Morrison is an overrated icon. I don't think that movie Oliver Stone did about the band is very good at all. In fact, I think it's one of the worst films ever made. I did read Ray Manzerek's book back in the 1990s which was way more interesting than what Stone did. I really liked what the band did on albums like the first one, Morrison Hotel, and L.A. Woman.
    The movie portrayed Morrison as a caricature. He wasn't jumping on cars, proclaiming to be the Lizard King, acting like some of of messianic prophet, 24/7. He was a dude that was possibly mentally ill, liked to drink, do drugs and put on a show.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 01-05-2017 at 03:50 AM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    They are releasing a 50th anniversary edition of their first album, but honestly i don't see the appeal, excluding the "mono-mix" it's a bit "meh".

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    70 bucks is pretty expensive, and the CD that was reissued in 2007 sounds fine. I would like to hear the mono mix.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I have it. Thing is, they released a boxset in 1999, so another one in 2007 seemed kind of pointless. I do like the box better, less flimsy. The bonus songs/videos on the DVDs could have been better. Why not include an entire show if you are throwing in a DVD. Also, it was a mistake not to include the post-Morrison albums, Other Voices and Full Circle. Glad to see that they have since been reissued.
    I want it I have all the releases in the box set but I want the better remasters, you're right they should have included concert footage. As for the Oliver Stone movie, I think Oliver Stone is a brilliant director (I fucking love Wall Street, and Natural Born Killers) but The Doors is not his best work. From casting to the screenplay I think there numerous mistakes made.
    Its been well documented that Morrison was a brilliant lyricst and I totally agree with that statement, I agree that I think Morrison may have had Bipolar depression of coarse they never called it that back then and it would have been hard to spot among the alcohol and drug use. Generally talented artistic people tend to be flawed in some other area, a lot of artistic people tend to suffer from depression its not a hard and fast rule but tends to prove itself more often then it doesn't.
    You're right, the movie did make Morrison into a caricature, I think it would have made a better biopic if they had focused more on his relationship with the other band members and how the Doors came up. It would have served their legacy much better then the few times he made a grand spectacle of himself.
    Plus it would have helped to have introduced the audience to how the late 60's were, there was never a tour that featured a P.A system until 1969 when the Rolling Stones used one on that tour. Back then bands and artists use to put out an album two times a year because they weren't on the road for a year and a half. I think people also don't realize how stripped down a concert was back then, it was a stage some amplifiers and a couple of lights. Look at the footage from The Song Remains The Same that was filmed at Madison Square Gardens in 1973 that stage was bare bones and Zeppelin were selling out arenas. I still love the Zeppelin footage bare bones and all.
    They also didn't really show how conservative the older generations of the late 60's were. The older generations of that time thought all long hairs were drug addicted satanists thanks to Charlie Manson, there was a culture war going on at the time. To an extent Morrison I think unwittingly led that war more unknowingly then say Bob Dylan or The Stones. When younger generations watch that movie now a lot of that is missed because it wasn't explained well in the movie.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    I don't think I've ever seen another band's legacy get milked to high-hell like a dairy cow the way the Doors legacy has.

Granted, I'm in the wide margin that views them as a brilliant band for their time. Their catalogue with Morrison is undeniably classic.

But the way the other three have handled the band's legacy after his death has been absolutely cartoonish. Seriously, how many third-generation live bootlegs of Morrison bellowing and raving does even the most ardent fan need? I remember when they re-re-re-re-re-released the LA Woman album a few years back with "extra studio chatter" between songs or something, thinking to myself "who the fuck do they think wants to hear this stuff?"

Ffs, they were even touring behind the brand with the guy from Fuel at one point. Where does it end? How much clearer are we going to hear music that's been around for 40-50 years with a new remaster job every couple of years? The music doesn't have to die and probably never will, but let Morrison rest in peace already..
    Never saw them with the Fuel guy, but I did catch a show with Ian Astbury and it was killer. For fans that never got to see the original band, this was the next best thing. I do agree that they should stop with the re-releasing albums at this point.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    And when Jim isn't busy chatting with Hendrix and Nietzsche, he's apparently haunting his own grave.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...grave-20091016

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    ^^^^^^^
    "Greatest hits albums are for housewives and little girls" that's fucking funny. Notice the Lou Reed and Bowie albums in the background in that clip.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    I got the chance of seeing them live with Ian Astbury and it was awesome!
    then i saw them with the Fuel dude a few years later and it was terrible...

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by onthewall2983 View Post
    Awesome, I remember that.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    https://beatnikhiway.files.wordpress...e458.jpg?w=650

Jim Morrison mural Venice Beach California, that building use to be grey. That mural has been there forever.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Picked up the new Isle of Wight blu-Ray yesterday. Looks amazing, really great footage. The band sounds great, Jim sounds good, but boy, he looks rough. He was dead in under a year. Night and day compared to the (excellent) Live at the Hollywood Bowl, which was just two years earlier, where Jim was a lot thinner and looked about 30 years younger. Band went on around 2:00 am.

Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Here's a clip of one of the songs from the Blu-Ray:

Yeah, Morrison looked weary as it relates to that trial in Miami (I believe he only pulled out his finger which pretended to be his dick but many people would say otherwise). The video is great as it just focuses on the band which I often think gets overlooked as a lot of the focus was on Morrison which was unfair to Robby Krieger, the late Ray Manzarek, and John Densmore.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Frankly, I love the Doors' sound, and its too bad that sound's something of a stylistic dead end in the rock canon. I also love most prefixes anybody can attach to Punk and just about any Punk history shits on the Doors and specifically Morrison. A singer whom one gets the impression did alot of unwritten dirty deeds. Just say no, kids. Booze is a hell of a drug. That punk Reznor's given the most into rock with keys since then, don't you think?
    Last edited by SarahConnor; 02-26-2018 at 09:00 PM. Reason: grammar, can't type on fucking iPhone.

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    I'm just here to say that Josh Homme can fuck off with his comment about Jim not being a good singer, or whatever.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SarahConnor View Post
    Frankly, I love the Doors' sound, and its too bad that its something of a stylistic dead end in the rock canon. Just about any Punk history take pains to shit on them and Morrison specifically, about whom one gets the impression that he did alot of unsaid dirty deeds. Booze is a hell of a drug. Reznor's done the most and best rock with keys since then, don't you think?
    I'd take the Doors over any shitty, juvenile punk band. Most overrated genre of music, outside coffee house, anemic indie-rock of the last 15 or so years.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaro View Post
    I'm just here to say that Josh Homme can fuck off with his comment about Jim not being a good singer, or whatever.
    Josh homme can just fuck off generally. 1 good album

Ok the doors only have 3, but they were together for less time than has elapsed since the release of songs for the deaf. Qotsa are just the foo fighters for people who had to stop smoking weed cause it was like messing with their head man

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RhettButler View Post
    I'd take the Doors over any shitty, juvenile punk band. Most overrated genre of music, outside coffee house, anemic indie-rock of the last 15 or so years.
    Much more than the sum of their parts, that band. Read Tidmore's book. He knew his place and that was behind a leader like Morrison as deviant as he was. Also, Tidmore abashedly reports his younger brother's home recordings- and that music is on my list of unheard songs to 'Somehow Hear.' Robbie, release the tapes. They ain't as bad as u think.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaro View Post
    I honestly don't see the fuss over Josh Homme or Queens Of The Stone Age. He may be a good guitarist, but I can't honestly say I love a QotSA album in full. A few tracks here and there, sure. I find most straight up rock music lately just dull and unchallenging. I can only give Deftones props for being the one rock band still around who have grown and still able to do something interesting. For the last two decades, "pure" rock music has become less and less interesting to me. It's become too safe and formulaic. There's the occasional song here or there, like De Staat's "Witch Doctor," that catches my attention.
    Last edited by neorev; 02-26-2018 at 09:23 PM.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Josh homme can just fuck off generally. 1 good album

Ok the doors only have 3, but they were together for less time than has elapsed since the release of songs for the deaf. Qotsa are just the foo fighters for people who had to stop smoking weed cause it was like messing with their head man
    I'd rate then as:
    Doors--essential
    Strange Days--essential
    Waiting for the Sun--not essential, but good
    The Soft Parade--underrated, but not a good starting point
    Morrison Hotel--essential
    L.A. Woman--essential
    Other Voices--buy this last along with Full Circle. No ones favorite Doors album by far, but there's some good music here
    Full Circle--see above

Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Other Voices and Full Circle are both fucking brilliant records. Maybe the band should've done the Joy Division/New Order thing and re-brand themselves into something new for these records to get better recognition.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    As you've no doubt guessed, I rate the first two and LA woman as essential - the rest all have essential tracks, but fall short as LPs.

Are there are any decent quality concert movies of the doors? Wouldn't mind an early one and a later one

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    As you've no doubt guessed, I rate the first two and LA woman as essential - the rest all have essential tracks, but fall short as LPs.

Are there are any decent quality concert movies of the doors? Wouldn't mind an early one and a later one
    Live at the Hollywood Bowl and the Isle of Wight.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    Other Voices and Full Circle are both fucking brilliant records. Maybe the band should've done the Joy Division/New Order thing and re-brand themselves into something new for these records to get better recognition.
    Other Voices takes up where LA Women left off, although it's more mellow, relaxed. Full a Circle was jazzier, with some psycodelic elements, hence the name of the album. But without Jim, it just wasn't the same. Robbie and Ray have decent voices, but they're not great singers and lacked charisma. They actually wanted Iggy Pop to join the band at one point.
    Last edited by GulDukat; 02-27-2018 at 06:18 AM.

Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fillow View Post
    I agree they are both very underrated albums