Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Fragile Extended Playlists

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    So Many Directions: The Fragile Megamix by wizfan

Listen to me on Mixcloud!

High quality 320kbps mp3: PM me!

After five days of lovingly (and painstakingly) editing songs together, I present to you So Many Directions. 153 minutes of Reznorrific, Supercali-Fragile-istic explorations. This is my love letter to The Fragile, a celebration of all the amazing sonic experiments made by Trent and Alan during the intense post-TDS period, cobbled together using whatever I could find. Of course, 2017 DE and Deviations were my main sources; I strung them together with choice cuts from Still, Things Falling Apart, the 5.1 audio of AATCHB (even the menus, which have lots of secrets) and a few surprises.

It took a lot of wrestling with waveforms and crossfades to pull this off. I started with no clear plan; I would place a song and then think, "what should I put next?" I let each song lead me to the next, going on a different journey of The Fragile in the process. I felt like I was constructing a new narrative of my own — pssst, @Sesquipedalism — , finding my way in this seemingly endless tapestry of sounds. As such, I messed with the tracklist significantly. I even messed with the songs themselves, splicing sections from different versions together. You may NOT like what I've done to some of your fave tracks. Some are unharmed, others have had some slight additions or alterations, and others... well, let's just say I wasn't very kind to them, hehehe.

I will keep the tracklist a secret for the time being, and will post a timestamped tracklist on Mixcloud after it gets a few listens from you guys. No spoilers! And I will eventually post my individual song edits.

And, yes, @botley and @seasonsinthesky , I did leave -1db of headroom before converting to mp3, so you won't hear any clipping. Regarding audio processing, I've only done some EQ'ing, panning, and those ubiquitous crossfades (drinking game: every time I make a crossfade, take a shot).

Dedicated to all of you Bob Ezrins who keep the Fragile dream alive by making their own tracklists, mixes and experiments!

...and no Smash Mouth this time. Promise.

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    ^ How'd you isolate those New Flesh vocals at the beginning?

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    ^ How'd you isolate those New Flesh vocals at the beginning?
    They come from the AATCHB 5.1 menus. Same with the New Flesh bass notes. I had to break apart and edit each channel individually. The vocals are mixed incredibly low in the center channel, so I applied normalization, again leaving -1.0dB of headroom.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    That New Flesh intro is creepy as fuck. Nice one

Will have to give this a proper listen later!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Wizfan, can I just say that the segue from WITT into, well, I don't want to spoil those that haven't listened so I'll say "the next song", was amazing.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Im still listening to it, but I love what you did with +Appendage and Please.

This is top notch, im loving it.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    And you picked the one day this week I have to deal with audio at work for eight hours. It's spectacular that you did this, that you engaged with the work in this way. The results, from what I've heard so far, are also pretty amazing. It's this kind of thing that makes ETS special enough that I keep coming back after over a decade. Seriously, Wizfan: Fucking kudos.
    Hi-fives, man. I plan to make a video on how I made this. You guys are going to see me in the flesh. The new flesh.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    This megamix is pretty bad. I mean bad as in good. Like bad as in badasssss with five "s's".

Extracting elements from the AATCHB Dolby 5.1 channels was a masterstroke. That opening was great. The "Tick tock" segment had me scratching my head for a bit until I started to vaugely remember it from one of the menus.

I'm about half way thru right now and my only complaint is that you *could* have gone full supercut with TDTWWA and turned it into a 10-15minute megabeast, but that would be detrimental to the overall flow.

This shit has me remembering the Rusty Nails bootleg, but it's quite a bit better.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post

1/10 Worst New Megamix

In all seriousness: this is fucking amazing and you are a god amongst men

Also, important question -- where can somebody find all this AATCHB menu music without having to know how to rip the audio off of their DVD sets?
    Last edited by implanted_microchip; 02-01-2017 at 11:22 AM.

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Great job! I would have been even more conservative with the leveling rather than just normalizing across the board to -1 dB, but that's my personal taste

Sincerely, this is the coolest NIN mixtape focusing on this era that I've ever heard, and I've heard quite a few... @wizfan you NAILED it lol ol ol ol ol
    Last edited by botley; 02-01-2017 at 11:43 AM.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post
    Also, important question -- where can somebody find all this AATCHB menu music without having to know how to rip the audio off of their DVD sets?
    You shall be PM'd.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    I wouldn't mind access to that music as well. I no longer have a disc drive in my new computer (sigh...Progress...)

Regardless, this mix has me planning on putting my old AATCHB DVD on when I get home tonite. I haven't watched that in years...

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    So Many Directions: The Fragile Megamix by wizfan

Listen to me on Mixcloud!

High quality 320kbps mp3: PM me!

After five days of lovingly (and painstakingly) editing songs together, I present to you So Many Directions. 153 minutes of Reznorrific, Supercali-Fragile-istic explorations. This is my love letter to The Fragile, a celebration of all the amazing sonic experiments made by Trent and Alan during the intense post-TDS period, cobbled together using whatever I could find. Of course, 2017 DE and Deviations were my main sources; I strung them together with choice cuts from Still, Things Falling Apart, the 5.1 audio of AATCHB (even the menus, which have lots of secrets) and a few surprises.

It took a lot of wrestling with waveforms and crossfades to pull this off. I started with no clear plan; I would place a song and then think, "what should I put next?" I let each song lead me to the next, going on a different journey of The Fragile in the process. I felt like I was constructing a new narrative of my own — pssst, @Sesquipedalism — , finding my way in this seemingly endless tapestry of sounds. As such, I messed with the tracklist significantly. I even messed with the songs themselves, splicing sections from different versions together. You may NOT like what I've done to some of your fave tracks. Some are unharmed, others have had some slight additions or alterations, and others... well, let's just say I wasn't very kind to them, hehehe.

I will keep the tracklist a secret for the time being, and will post a timestamped tracklist on Mixcloud after it gets a few listens from you guys. No spoilers! And I will eventually post my individual song edits.

And, yes, @botley and @seasonsinthesky , I did leave -1db of headroom before converting to mp3, so you won't hear any clipping. Regarding audio processing, I've only done some EQ'ing, panning, and those ubiquitous crossfades (drinking game: every time I make a crossfade, take a shot).

Dedicated to all of you Bob Ezrins who keep the Fragile dream alive by making their own tracklists, mixes and experiments!

Listening to this now. This is really awesome so far. Just a heads up: you might want to upload this somewhere else as well. Mixcloud has a tendency to pull mixes that feature more than two or three songs by the same artist. My Nine Inch Nails mix that I uploaded there a couple years ago got pulled for that reason.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Listening to this now. This is really awesome so far. Just a heads up: you might want to upload this somewhere else as well. Mixcloud has a tendency to pull mixes that feature more than two or three songs by the same artist. My Nine Inch Nails mix that I uploaded there a couple years ago got pulled for that reason.
    Oh. Should I not post a timestamped tracklist, then?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    I don't think it matters actually. I think they operate in a similar fashion to YouTube. They scan your mix to see if anything matches, and if you get too many matches, they take it down.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    I don't think it matters actually. I think they operate in a similar fashion to YouTube. They scan your mix to see if anything matches, and if you get too many matches, they take it down.
    Okay. I guess I should use Bandcamp, then? I can't afford Soundcloud Premium (nor do I trust it). I'm also partial about YouTube. Oh, well, at least the 320kbps MP3 download will be fine for the time being.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Had to stop part way in, family responsibilities. But blown away by your arrangements. Will try to finish tomorrow.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Even if you don't, please share one here. What the hell is that amazing piece that comes right after Great Below?!

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamelion View Post
    Even if you don't, please share one here. What the hell is that amazing piece that comes right after Great Below?!
    Until I get to timestamping, here's a quick and dry tracklist.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Until I get to timestamping, here's a quick and dry tracklist.
    Aah, so that's what that is! Thank you - something new to track down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey there everybody, I recently updated my old DE Fan Mix to clean up some clutter and add in some of the new instrumentals, plus add in a bunch of edits that connect or overlap endings and beginnings. I'm really proud of what I came up with, here it is:

Disc 1: (62:28)
    Somewhat Damaged
    TDTWWA
    The Frail
    The Wretched (edited into..)
    The Great Collapse (edited into..)
    Missing Places (edited into..)
    We're In This Together (edited into..)
    Adrift And At Peace (edited into..)
    The Fragile
    The Persistence of Loss (edited into..)
    Taken (edited into..)
    Just Like You Imagined
    The March
    Leaving Hope (edited into..)
    And All That Could Have Been

Disc 2: (62:17)
    Even Deeper
    Pilgrimage
    No, You Don't
    La Mer
    The Great Below
    The Way Out Is Through (edited into...)
    La Mer (version) (edited into..)
    Into The Void (edited into..)
    Slipping Away
    Where Is Everybody?
    The Mark Has Been Made (edited into..)
    10 Miles High
    Hello, Everything is Not Okay

Disc 3: (50:27)
    One Way To Get There
    tfamain_swf
    (This is how it all begins)
    Please (edited into..)
    Appendage (edited into..)
    Feeders
    Starfuckers, Inc. (instrumental)
    Complication (edited into..)
    The New Flesh (edited into..)
    ILFTJYF
    Claustrophobia Machine (Raw)
    Last Heard From
    Metal (fade out and edited into..)
    The New Flesh (aatchb menu version) (edited into..)
    The Big Comedown
    Underneath It All
    Ripe (With Decay)

I'm very happy with it. One of my favorite moments is a flawless (to my ears) transition from the CD version of the intro to 10 Miles High after TMHBM into the full song. I also am really satisfied with The Way Out Is Through => La Mer (version) => Into The Void => Slipping Away.

If anyone wants my crossfaded tracks (done carefully in Audacity) or wants to hear the whole thing just let me know.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Woo-hoo, I finally found some time to finish editing my lengthy tutorial video (two months after I filmed it, lol). The original file was 79 minutes long and I cut it down to 49 by trimming all the "ummmm's" and such. I could make a 30-minute ummmmm-megamix with all of the discarded footage. Hmmm. Anyway, you can now see me in the (new) flesh! @Sesquipedalism @botley @seasonsinthesky @SM Rollinger @BRoswell @Triggermine @Ryan @kleiner352 @Kulerage
    Last edited by wizfan; 04-07-2017 at 09:27 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Woo-hoo, I finally found some time to finish editing my lengthy tutorial video (two months after I filmed it, lol)
    0/10 didn't start the video with "This is how it all begins".

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Fantastic vocal treatment on 'The Great Below'.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Hey @wizfan there's a Soundcloud-like streaming site called hearthis.at that perhaps you might like to look into for streaming purposes. I don't believe they're as insane as Soundcloud with pulling down media.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    holy shit. i *never* listen to fan-made stuff, but i'm so glad i did this time.

bravo, @wizfan .
    Last edited by kel; 04-08-2017 at 04:26 PM.

Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    honesty, i avoid the fragile for personal reasons, but this makes it, for lack of a better term, warm. just outstanding. thank you so much.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Amazing playlist... my only nitpick is And All That Could Have Been

I f'n love that track and wish it had a place in this, I find it the perfect closer.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neorev View Post
    Amazing playlist... my only nitpick is And All That Could Have Been

I f'n love that track and wish it had a place in this, I find it the perfect closer.
    Yeah, I really love this song too, I just didn't want to stray too far away from The Fragile. I already used too much of Still and TFA.

All right, I have a split mp3 version of the megamix up for grabs. The crossfades are still intact, as I didn't have time to re-render each song edit on its own, but I've split it up pretty tightly, and all files have proper filenames and tags. As usual, you all may hit me up for a link. Thanks @jezstyle for reminding me! I may eventually do a non-crossfade version of the whole thing, but I think I'll leave it as is for the time being (if anyone needs a specific song edit with no crossfades, PM me and I'll see what I can do).

Man, if Trent ever releases the full Fragile multitracks... I'm gonna go full bonkers™ on them!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by valiantsteed View Post
    ps If someone wanted to segue the DE edition of Ripe with the second half of Ripe (With Decay) from Deviations I think that we could consider that the definitive version. Just throwing that out there!
    I have a seamless version done here it was surprisingly easy and it sounds definitive to me. I'm sure if anybody wanted it etc..

On a related note, i've been trying to get appendage to fit on the end of please and I'm really close to getting something satisfying happening there.

and also @wizfan this is wonderful and I'm not even halfway through. I would recommend anybody to get their hands on this. Great work.