Faceplams Faceplams:  0
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Your NIN Remixes and Mashups

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Your NIN Remixes and Mashups

Now with remix.nin.com dead and ninremixes.com pretty much abandoned (though it looks like people are still posting stuff in there), let's post our NIN tinkerings (NINkerings?) in here.

I'll start. I made a mashup of In This Twilight and Broadcast's "Come On Let's Go"!

Come On Let's Go In This Twilight

@elevenism @eversonpoe @seasonsinthesky @Jinsai

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Christ. The idea of putting all of those up somewhere else annoys the hell out of me.

Maybe.

Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Made one very quickly with "Ruiner" and "The Hand that Feeds" in a dorm room above Hoskin Avenue with Adobe Audition circa October/November 2005. Both songs are in A, and roughly the same tempo, so not a lot of shifting was required though TBH if I'd done it in a little less of a hurry I would probably have used fewer vocals and fucked with the drum grooves a little more. Having very little idea of what I was doing I was surprised how well it turned out and I still like it today.
    Last edited by botley; 12-19-2016 at 09:30 PM.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Here's my NIN/HTDA remixes and edits. I have more than this, but I can't post them due to copyright restrictions on Soundcloud. One was an edit of Into The Void with Slipping Away's ending instead of the album ending, and another was a version of The Great Destroyer where I attempted to replicate the live version which incorporated the "Slave screams!" from Happiness In Slavery.

Corona Radiata (Edit)
    Requiem For A Zero-Sum
    Lights In The Sky (TDS Version)
    On The Wing (Lack Of Faith Mix)

Last edited by BRoswell; 12-19-2016 at 10:03 PM.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Christ. The idea of putting all of those up somewhere else annoys the hell out of me.

Maybe.
    I'm more concerned about people who may have lost their original remix projects and had remix.nin.com as their sole backup, only for it to be wiped out with no warning. I'm speculating, of course. Man, if this actually happened... damn.

And the last time Trent ever did something for fan remixes was on that dreadful Indaba Music site for a Welcome oblivion contest. He had even used Tunecore to share the Dragon Tattoo multitracks. He had stopped caring about remix.nin.com a looooong time ago. I hope he hasn't stopped caring about fan remixes. The Welcome oblivion thing was the very first remix I ever did, and I've learned so many things about audio production thanks to it.

Who was in charge of the redesign of NINRemixes.com, by the way? It looked very promising, but they stopped working on it after the 2014 overhaul.

Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    ohhh man @wizfan you are into Broadcast? i fucking LOVE Broadcast. They are one of my favorite bands of all time.
    and i have only ever met like 2 other people who listen to them.

I made a remix of in this twilight back in like 08 with like the slowest of portishead style breakbeats, and like voices saying "lights in the...lights in the sky" and such from wherever i could find them, but i lost it on my last computer. i need to get off my ass and work on my own fucking projects tbh.
    Last edited by elevenism; 12-20-2016 at 09:24 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've done some NIN fan mixes, generally using only the original source material in hopes of getting an "authentic" sound:

Sanctified Maxisingle: A fan-made hypothetical Halo 3.5. What if Sanctified had been released as a single? Remixes of Sanctified, The Only Time, Terrible Lie, and Head Like a Hole made using only the original source material for a pure/authentic feel (I hope!) In addition to using only original source material, I avoided anachronistic effects (glitching, autotune, etc.). For tracks that have official remixes (HLAH, TL) I have tried to ensure that my own mixes differ enough to justify their existence.

The Slip: Created using only sounds from The Slip and the two bonus Ghost tracks. "999,999", "The Four of Us Are Dying" and "Corona Radiata" are not present as tracks but material from those songs is mixed into the other tracks.

"With Teeth": Remixed using only audio from the 5.1 channels. I've done some other WT remixes that I still need to upload.
    Last edited by Jg23666; 12-28-2016 at 09:56 AM.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jg23666 View Post
    I've done some NIN fan mixes, generally using only the original source material in hopes of getting an "authentic" sound:

Sanctified Maxisingle: A fan-made hypothetical Halo 3.5. What if Sanctified had been released as a single? Remixes of Sanctified, The Only Time, Terrible Lie, and Head Like a Hole made using only the original source material for a pure/authentic feel (I hope!) In addition to using only original source material, I avoided anachronistic effects (glitching, autotune, etc.). For tracks that have official remixes (HLAH, TL) I have tried to ensure that my own mixes differ enough to justify their existence.

The Slip: Created using only sounds from The Slip and the two bonus Ghost tracks. "999,999", "The Four of Us Are Dying" and "Corona Radiata" are not present as tracks but material from those songs is mixed into the other tracks.

"With Teeth": Remixed using only audio from the 5.1 channels. I've done some other WT remixes that I still need to upload.
    Holy fucking shit. These are BRILLIANT. You're one of the most inventive remixers I've ever heard, seriously.

The link doesn't work. All I see is a NIN logo that takes me to a VK group.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    The link doesn't work. All I see is a NIN logo that takes me to a VK group.
    That's strange. But uploaded it to soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/xvs/everyone-seems-to-be-asleep

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Thank god for the new remaster of The Fragile and Deviations 1. I was finally able to re-do my Into The Void/Slipping Away edit, and it sounds even better now.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Care to share, BRoswell?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    I will try to release something in the first half of 2017. The concept is all ready, I just need to put down the ideas and produce them.

I also have a With (Re)Boots in progress with future remakes of some mashups but it will wait a bit more.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wizfan View Post
    I'll start. I made a mashup of In This Twilight and Broadcast's "Come On Let's Go"!

Come On Let's Go In This Twilight
    Nice superposition, doesn't work perfectly but it's quite charming I must say. Maybe the NIN orchestration could have been stripped a little as the multitrack is available.
    Last edited by totom; 01-09-2017 at 03:34 AM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    The Wretched, I'm Not.

Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shagg_187 View Post
    The Wretched, I'm Not.

This is excellent. My only small complaint is at the beginning. I think the opening lyrics of The Wretched begin a measure too early? Or maybe it should start right as the Me, I'm Not beat kicks off. I don't know, that part sounds a bit jarring to me. No complains with the rest of it. Terrific job.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BRoswell View Post
    Thank god for the new remaster of The Fragile and Deviations 1. I was finally able to re-do my Into The Void/Slipping Away edit, and it sounds even better now.
    Can we talk shop about this for a minute?

I did the same thing. But I have no idea what the best methodology is.

I've usually been going for a sorta 'straight to the point' splice, where I stop ITV at the end of the middle 8 (i.e. where the entire song literally stops) and start SA with the isolated "I keep slipping away" with the right timing.

But your comment about using the Deviations instrumental has me intrigued now. What'd you do? Use the instrumental ending?

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    Can we talk shop about this for a minute?

I did the same thing. But I have no idea what the best methodology is.

I've usually been going for a sorta 'straight to the point' splice, where I stop ITV at the end of the middle 8 (i.e. where the entire song literally stops) and start SA with the isolated "I keep slipping away" with the right timing.

But your comment about using the Deviations instrumental has me intrigued now. What'd you do? Use the instrumental ending?
    I used the instrumental version on Deviations 1 for a clean intro to start with (since the original album has the crossfade from The Way Out Is Through). After that, I cut the song at the same spot you mentioned, but I have it going right into the explosive ending of Slipping Away after that small pause. I tried doing what you said when I was originally making the mix, but I wasn't completely satisfied with it. It wasn't bad by any means, but I found it to be a lot more effective going right into the ending. I'm pretty happy with the mix now, and I'll only be upgrading it if/when Things Falling Apart gets released in a higher resolution.

So yeah, it wasn't too difficult to make, but I enjoy it a lot. I was always slightly disappointed with the ending of the album version. I always thought it should have ended with more aggression and noise, and with this mix, I finally get the best of both worlds.
    Last edited by BRoswell; 01-14-2017 at 06:41 PM.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Updated the link on my website to download With Boots:

http://www.boototom.info/ToToM-2006-With_Boots.zip

Still no revamp but it's in project...

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Some stuff of mine, inc. mixes of TOT/BYIT/YKWYA etc..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaps View Post
    Some stuff of mine, inc. mixes of TOT/BYIT/YKWYA etc..

I've been enjoying your stuff for years! Great work, any more to come in the future or does the death of remix.nin.com spell the end for your NIN mixes?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks! ^

Well if it is really the end of remix.nin then it would also spell the end of getting multitracks from Trent.
    Wouldn't make sense to promote remixing without a site to host them. To be honest remix.nin became an unmoderated-self-rating-clunky-piece-of-shit in the end.

I would welcome a return of the site maybe one that would pay for itself with a small subscription service. That way you get all the multitracks & rare stuff and a modern/fair way of hosting/rating music.
    Promoting fan remixes on Youtube, Soundcloud, Mixcloud etc is getting worse by the day for copyright issues but remixing is a relatively harmless pastime that keeps me off the streets so i'll continue

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Oh, @Reaps is here! Dude, I adore your remixes. Really great, great stuff. My personal favorite is your remix of The Frail — incredible work.

Keep it up, man.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Not mine but I'm digging this slightly political version

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Here's my NIN/HTDA remixes and edits. I have more than this, but I can't post them due to copyright restrictions on Soundcloud. One was an edit of Into The Void with Slipping Away's ending instead of the album ending, and another was a version of The Great Destroyer where I attempted to replicate the live version which incorporated the "Slave screams!" from Happiness In Slavery.

Corona Radiata (Edit)
    Requiem For A Zero-Sum
    Lights In The Sky (TDS Version)
    On The Wing (Lack Of Faith Mix)

Decided to make a list of all my mixes for those that might be interested.

Pinion (Flush) [Pinion with It's No Game Part 1 samples]
    Somewhat Damaged (Somewhat Different) [Album version with edited outro from Deviations 1.]
    Into The Void (Slipping Away Mix) [Clean intro from Deviations 1 + album version + the ending of Slipping Away from Things Falling Apart.]
    20 Miles High [Album version of 10 Miles High mixed with instrumental version from Deviations 1. Not 100% happy with this yet, so it needs to be redone at some point.]
    6 Ghosts I (Ambient Mix) [A pretty basic mix. I took the multitracks and added a ton of reverb to them so that the sounds kind of smear together.]
    Ghosts (Drone Mixes) [Title says it all. Various tracks from Ghosts I-IV that I've turned into drone/ambient tracks.]
    Pretty Eight Machine (Vocal Mixes) [Inverse Phase's 8-bit versions of Terrible Lie, Sanctified, and The Only Time with isolated vocal tracks from Rock Band laid over them.]
    And All That Could Have Been (Edit)/In Two (Edit)/Suck (Edit) [Basically what it would sound like if these tracks had radio edits.]
    Corona Radiata (Edit) [A condensed version of the original track. Also, no screaming cat noises. ]
    Leaving Hope (Memento Mix) [The original track played backwards and forwards at the same time.]
    Lights In The Sky (TDS Version) [A more ambient version of Lights In The Sky, with Trent's vocals pitched slightly higher so he sounds like did when he made The Downward Spiral.]
    The Great Destroyer (Extended Happiness In Slavery Outro) [Extended version of the outro with "Slave screams!" vocals and an added electric guitar layer I created. I originally said this was my attempt at replicating the live version, but having listened to that again, I can say that it's not very accurate. Still, not a bad listen.]
    Hyperpower! (Alternate Mix) [Just the original track minus the war samples. Nothing fancy.]
    Another Version Of The Truth (Inherited Darkness Mix) [Ambient version with a weird "spaceship" electronic layer I added, plus delay on the piano track.]
    Requiem For A Zero-Sum [Clint Mansell's end score for Requiem For A Dream with Zero-Sum vocals. My most popular remix.]
    How Long (Alternate Mix) [Removed some samples and brought others closer to the front of the mix, plus added some distortion. Could be better.]
    On The Wing (Lack Of Faith) [Made for the remix contest while I was...shall we say...under the influence. Should probably be redone, but for the life of me, I can't remember how I made it.]
    I'm Afraid Of Americans ("Live" with David Bowie) [Bowie soundboard from 2002 mixed with NIN soundboard from 2009. Not perfect, but gets the job done.]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Decided to make a list of all my mixes for those that might be interested.
    The piano effects you did on LITS (TDS) sound amazing.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    I love V A P O R W A V E as some of you might already know and I thought NIN needed a make over.

here is my first (and only) try.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2640365/reznorwave%20EP.zip
    Last edited by reznovka; 03-04-2017 at 07:41 PM.