Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12

Thread: The Vietnam War (2017)

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by richardp View Post
    I can tell you right now, after working in a movie theater for five years, talking with movie-goers constantly, the majority of the masses don't even NOTICE the music in movies, unless its like Guardians of The Galaxy pumping the film full of one hit wonders. Can't count how many times I'd be talking to someone about a movie they were going to see and I'd mention the score, and their reply would be "what's a score?". Now I'm sure NIN have more people than they don't who love soundtracks, but there are a FUCK TON of people out there who couldn't give a fuck less about "the background music" as others have gently put it.
    That's probably a good thing, depending on your relationship to music I guess. The music is one of the first things I always take into account when watching a movie, even a great one. But it's something I could take or leave because I want to be taken in by it as a whole. It's only when you see something again and again you might pick up on what the editing or cinematography is achieving, as well as the music.

The flip side to that is there are now fewer scores out there which become almost as popular as the movie anymore. There's still good work being done, by lots of talented people in that field, but there is a difference between the kinds of scores we see now and in the 80's for example. Then again it may have always been that way too, that there are people who loved Star Wars but haven't a clue who John Williams is.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Just doing a drive-by to reiterate that this thing still kicks ass and I'd really love What Comes Back and Justified Response to show up live.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadaloo View Post
    Just doing a drive-by to reiterate that this thing still kicks ass and I'd really love What Comes Back and Justified Response to show up live.
    I was listening today at work and couldn't agree more. What Comes Back is just incredible.

Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    i listened in the car yesterday for the first time in a while and the whole thing is gorgeous. it's a shame it came out around the same time as so much other stuff because it kind of got lost in the shuffle.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Yeah, I admit that I haven't been that into the scores in general, but this one really captured my attention.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    started watching the series. i had listened to the score already. it works really well in context with the film.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Yes! I've been revisiting this score and have been giving it more due. It's gorgeous and has intense depth and creates quite a landscape. It's quickly been rising as one of my favorite scores. I might have to rank them:

TGWTDT
    The Social Network
    The Vietnam War
    Gone Girl
    Patriots Day
    Before The Flood

Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joplinpicasso View Post
    Yes! I've been revisiting this score and have been giving it more due. It's gorgeous and has intense depth and creates quite a landscape. It's quickly been rising as one of my favorite scores. I might have to rank them:

TGWTDT
    The Social Network
    The Vietnam War
    Gone Girl
    Patriots Day
    Before The Flood
    patriots day has gotten the fewest listens from me. other than one or two tracks, most of it wasn't nearly as memorable as any of their other scores.

do you actually dislike before the flood or is it just your least favorite?

i'm with you on TGWTDT being the best, though!

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    patriots day has gotten the fewest listens from me. other than one or two tracks, most of it wasn't nearly as memorable as any of their other scores.

do you actually dislike before the flood or is it just your least favorite?

i'm with you on TGWTDT being the best, though!
    Hmm, I was really impressed by the PD score when it came out. I should admit that it's the only score for which I haven't also seen the accompanying film (I've watched half of The Vietnam War). It's stark and abrasive. I've connected a lot of the scores to eras and feelings in my real life, except for PD. Yet!

That being said, Before The Flood is beautiful, but it feels the most disjointed, and that's definitely because it was a collaborative project. I don't dislike it at all. Hell, the title track is a masterpiece in electronica, IMO.

But Dragon Tattoo, damn. I can only listen to that shit in the dead of winter. It's an icy mammoth of a record.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Can't rank these just yet, but I want to say that Patriots Day has a special place in my heart which I can't fully articulate.

I weirdly(?) love the film, but the 'Fincher Trilogy' = 3 of my favorite films of all time so that's not a unique trait necessarily. I think I like the brevity (by Trenticuss standards), and by extension the flow & track order. That definitely separates it. In terms of number of songs, it comes in under or matches proper NIN albums, which is appealing – I think that makes it look more accessible to me when I'm scrolling through which TR/AR soundtracks I want to casually vibe out on.

RE: Before the Flood, I feel similar to joplinpicasso. It's obviously fantastic and arguably the most unique, but the disjointed aspect slightly dilutes the experience for me.

All that being said, I am immensely grateful for all the score work we've been blessed with.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    I'm a little late to the game but I ordered the film score, the documentary and soundtrack. I just finished watching episode one and it really is outstanding, just really, really engrossing. There was so much information to absorb I had to pause and re-watch certain segments. And of course the score works beautifully. The soundtrack is chock-full of classic songs so it's nice to have them all in one compilation.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    episode 4: instrumental version of the wretched. perfect!!!!!!