Page 49 of 51 FirstFirst ... 39 47 48 49 50 51 LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 1516

Thread: The Fragile: Deviations 1 - Limited Edition 4xLP (Spring 2017)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Okay. Still doesn't make sense to me, but ok.

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    ...and the description of the album as a whole is that it's an alternate version of the fragile.
    It's very clearly a deviation, sir.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    It's not that fucking complicated

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Found it at my local HMV store
    610 HKD = 78 USD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Got it from jpc.de for 49.99 €.
    So basically half of what I would've paid (with shipping), if I had ordered it from the nin store.
    At that price it went from a no buy to a must have for me.

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Allmusic review of Deviations, in honor of its retail release today. Much more insightful and articulative than that clueless Pitchfork review from earlier in the year..

https://www.allmusic.com/album/the-f...1-mw0003023769

In late 2016, Trent Reznor issued a remaster of nine inch nails' classic 1999 double album The Fragile, as well as its counterpart, The Fragile: Deviations 1, a motherlode for the Fragile faithful and NIN completists. Comprised of 37 instrumentals (split into four LPs for the vinyl release), Deviations strips the originals of vocals, subtly reinterprets on "alternate" versions, and inserts a crop of brand new songs, creating a richer and more expansive journey. Even without Reznor's voice, the original self-loathing, seething rage, and hopeless despair still drip from every surface. The album's original textures, progression, and experimental instrumentation flourish in the spotlight, allowing the dense layers to come to the fore. Fans of Reznor and Atticus Ross' score work, as well as devotees of the Ghosts and Still instrumentals, should find much to appreciate here.

For Fragile diehards -- who may find it difficult to turn off the parts of their memories that will no doubt sing along even without Reznor's voice -- Deviations is a thrill to dissect and examine in obsessive detail. Of the old material, there are plenty of highlights that emerge from the pack of standard instrumental versions. Meanwhile, the newly released tracks inject new life into the entity, allowing it to evolve like a living, breathing creature.

Major changes occur when Reznor cleans the originals of static and dissonance, which allows the guitars to stab with cleaner thrusts, the drum hits to land like slug blasts, and the synths to bubble with even more melody.

On side one, "Somewhat Damaged," "The Wretched," and "Just Like You Imagined" benefit most from this polishing. New additions include the beat-heavy "Missing Pieces," which serves as the new intro to "We're in This Together," and "The March," last heard on Saul Williams' Reznor-produced "Skin of a Drum." Side two kicks off with a reimagined "Even Deeper," a highlight that now includes a string section, and quickly descends into madness with the riff-heavy of "One Way to Get There," a Broken-meets-"The Perfect Drug" cacophony that slides nicely into "No, You Don't." The intensity continues on the skittering "Taken" before the noise falls away to reveal the beating heart of the original Fragile, "La Mer" and "The Great Below." The former is less funky on Deviations and the Creole-French whispers are gone, but the bass, drums, and piano are amplified. "The Great Below" remains devastating, even without Reznor's performance, the de facto end to part one. As a palate cleanser, a trio of new songs provides an interlude, pulling listeners from the abyss with the somewhat hopeful "Not What It Seems Like," the elastic "White Mask," and the paranoid swirling of "The New Flesh," previously heard as a CD B-side and extra track on the original vinyl pressing.

On part two, Deviations wanders further into the hidden corners of the Fragile era. The first half of side three is home to the liveliest material, which follows an explosive "The Way Out Is Through" and extends to the funky "Into the Void" and the throbbing "Where Is Everybody?" "The Mark Has Been Made" is significantly different than the original, its jagged guitar and heavy distortion replaced by disembodied robo-gurgles and synths. The latter half of side three features the most changes on Deviations, from the standout "Was It Worth It?" -- reminiscent of the soundtrack cut, "Deep" -- to the "Please" addition "+Appendage," a drum jam originally found on the Fragile cassette. "Can I Stay Here?" and "10 Miles High" (aka "Hello, Everything Is Not OK") provide another buffer before the atmospheric closing run.

The raw side four begins with the atmospheric "Feeders," an extended version of the noise originally found on the intro to "No, You Don't." Here, it serves as necessary foreplay to the oft-maligned single "Starfuckers, Inc.," which works much better on Deviations without the cringe-worthy lyrics and cartoonish rage of the original. The uncomfortable "Claustrophobia Machine (Raw)" is a percussion-heavy assault that bleeds into the disturbing "Last Heard From," an ugly stretch before the thrilling collapse.

On the aptly titled "The Big Comedown," Reznor inserts more guitars and boosts the synths, adding samples of crowd screams that lift the original to new heights. After a newly extended start, "Underneath It All" ripples to life with the addition of crunchy guitars and more menacing synths, as overwhelming as anything on Broken's instrumental tracks. "Ripe (With Decay)" lays Deviations to rest with a more prominent beat that erases the sonic entropy of the original and persists until the abrupt coda.

With over two hours of instrumental indulgence, this collection is quite the undertaking. Casual fans would be advised to delve into the original first before exploring this treasure trove, which is best appreciated with knowledge of its predecessor. As an expansion of Reznor's creative and emotional state during that period and evidence of how he's evolved since then, The Fragile: Deviations 1 serves as both a sonic time capsule and a reminder of one of NIN's most rewarding and underrated efforts.

Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    For folks in the US that want The Fragile: Deviations 1 for $20 cheaper than the official NIN store, head on over to ImportCDs.com

$66.53 (use code TAKE10 for an additional 10% off)
    http://www.importcds.com/the-fragile...1/602557386103

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Here’s something interesting. In the first 18 seconds of “Feeders” there’s a sample of someone whispering “This is it...” then followed by mechanical/machinery like sounds. In the movie “Real Genius” there’sa scene where Mitch dismantled the closet to find Laslo and discovers a sign saying ‘This is it’ which is also whispered by Mitch. It’s in the enclosed clip at the 19 second mark. Is it the same sample? I’m pretty damn sure but I need more ears:

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Destruct26 View Post
    Here’s something interesting. In the first 18 seconds of “Feeders” there’s a sample of someone whispering “This is it...” then followed by mechanical/machinery like sounds. In the movie “Real Genius” there’sa scene where Mitch dismantled the closet to find Laslo and discovers a sign saying ‘This is it’ which is also whispered by Mitch. It’s in the enclosed clip at the 19 second mark. Is it the same sample? I’m pretty damn sure but I need more ears:
    Nice catch! I haven't seen this movie in forever.

I'm hearing the mechanical sounds of the door and the voice clip, with reverb and ping-pong delay on it (at the very least).

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Destruct26 View Post
    That's hilarious. Nice one!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    This is the cheapest I've seen The Fragile: Deviations 1. €19.79 on Amazon.it. They ship worldwide.

Amazon.it NIN The Fragile Deviations 1

I bought mine from the NIN store for £80 + shipping... :/

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo2000 View Post
    This is the cheapest I've seen The Fragile: Deviations 1. €19.79 on Amazon.it. They ship worldwide.

why are there a bunch of reviews from people as if it's the 2017 remastered version of the fragile?

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    why are there a bunch of reviews from people as if it's the 2017 remastered version of the fragile?
    Because Amazon often lumps reviews for different versions of the same products together. I've noticed this a lot with various releases of movies.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo2000 View Post

It says they are out of stock. I ordered it, but considering that it is sold out in the official NIN store and the price, I would not rule out that they'll tell me that they will not be able to sell it anymore.
    Last edited by mauro995; 01-04-2018 at 06:17 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    I had this from Amazon.it today:

Dear Customer,
    We will let you know the delivery date for the items you ordered on January 4, 2018:

Nine Inch Nails "The Fragile: Deviations I"
    Expected delivery date: 18 January 2018 - 12 February 2018

For more information, visit "My Orders":

https://www.amazon.it/miei_ordini

The amount for these items will be charged only when the shipment has been completed. We will send you a confirmation e-mail when we send the order.

See you soon on Amazon.it!

Customer care,
    Amazon.it
    Last edited by nufan; 01-16-2018 at 05:15 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nufan View Post
    I had this from Amazon.it today:

Dear Customer,
    We will let you know the delivery date for the items you ordered on January 4, 2018 (Order number 404-5877390-1280315):

Nine Inch Nails "The Fragile: Deviations I"
    Expected delivery date: 18 January 2018 - 12 February 2018

For more information, visit "My Orders":

https://www.amazon.it/miei_ordini

The amount for these items will be charged only when the shipment has been completed. We will send you a confirmation e-mail when we send the order.

See you soon on Amazon.it!

Customer care,
    Amazon.it
    Same here. I can't believe I got to buy this thing for 20€.

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    does anyone still have extra (even slightly damaged) copies of this? i gave my best friend The Fragile on vinyl for his birthday and he is over the moon about it. he also expressed great interest in hearing this, and i'd love to get him a copy, but i'm not spending another $80. i know a ton of people got free extra copies thanks to sandbag and i was hoping to get one for around $30.

thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I was skeptical, but my copy of this from Amazon Italy arrived today, was about €25 all in and came much quicker than they said. It does make me wonder how many copies were pressed though.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    does anyone still have extra (even slightly damaged) copies of this? i gave my best friend The Fragile on vinyl for his birthday and he is over the moon about it. he also expressed great interest in hearing this, and i'd love to get him a copy, but i'm not spending another $80. i know a ton of people got free extra copies thanks to sandbag and i was hoping to get one for around $30.

thanks in advance!

Sorry, I actually gave a friend of mine (whose favorite album is The Fragile, but isn't so into NIN that he knew about this until I told him about it) my damaged copy already.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The download code that came with the Deviations vinyl that I bought from Amazon didn't have the PDF with the additional artwork, I would be so grateful if someone here that has that PDF could upload somewhere.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Yo man, (if your a dude) try this link, I threw up for ya.

http://www.filehosting.org/file/deta...ations%201.pdf

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmitchell86 View Post
    Yo man, (if your a dude) try this link, I threw up for ya.

http://www.filehosting.org/file/deta...ations%201.pdf
    Thanks!

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    It's a little weird that The New Flesh (version) and Untitled from thingsfallingapart.com didn't show up on this, particularly as Untitled has the fade-out from The Great Below at the beginning. Hoping for those and the other remixes not available on disc to be released in full quality on an upcoming CD.

And yes, I did say CD.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I took today off, you know, just for the fuck of it, and decided to listen to my vinyl copy of Fragile: Deviations 1.

#BrilliantIdea

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    In february 2019, without buying the vinyl (i'm not a vinyl addict), how can I listen in good situation this album ?

Impossible on Spotify, don't know how to have the flac..

I try to find a torrent.. nothing clear..

I'm ready to pay for flac, but nin store doesn't allow it.

a solution ?

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMEO172 View Post
    In february 2019, without buying the vinyl (i'm not a vinyl addict), how can I listen in good situation this album ?
    a solution ?
    What ? Trent said it : vinyl only, and limited. You can still buy it, nothing has changed ??, and there is torrent on regular popular websites if you want to steal it.
    What the hell is that question ? you know that piracy is not allowed ?

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

a solution ?
    Well, that's NIN's choice : buy the vinyl or nothing.

If you really want to listen to it and don't know how to use google, it's on youtube...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I don't want a media I can't listen to but I still want to listen peacefully this album. Youtube isn't the solution.

I can clearly understand Trent idea but I would prefer having the choice betwee, vinyls or a 200€ deluxe CDs release that can also be very limited but at least can be a solution for people that don't care of vinyls.
    I will not pay 75€ for vinyls I will never played just in order to have the flac. Why not 20€ but no more.

It's a pity if the only solution is piracy because this is the last one I want.

Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    I don't want a media I can't listen to but I still want to listen peacefully this album. Youtube isn't the solution.

I can clearly understand Trent idea but I would prefer having the choice betwee, vinyls or a 200€ deluxe CDs release that can also be very limited but at least can be a solution for people that don't care of vinyls.
    I will not pay 75€ for vinyls I will never played just in order to have the flac. Why not 20€ but no more.

Yeah vinyl sucks, trent's choice. Nothing we can do.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Why is the only solution piracy? You can purchase the digital files from the website and as a bonus get the vinyl for free.

Don't get me wrong, I understand your frustration. However, if you apply this scenario to any other media it seems pretty straight-forward (e.g. I want this garage, but not the house it's attached to. Why do I have to pay so much? I will just steal the house... It is the only option).

If the music was not available to purchase in any capacity I would agree, but in this case you can easily purchase this.