Page 33 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23 31 32 33 34 35 43 ... LastLast

Thread: The Fragile: Deviations 1 - Limited Edition 4xLP (Spring 2017)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    I can't say enough about TDTWWA. I have followed it from it's days in the grid which still exist on the archived http://www.theninhotline.net/halo99/ page. How many incarnations is this? I feel that it is the one song that has never been fully completed. Single version. 4 minutes. Album version. 4 & 1/2 minutes. Vinyl version. 5 minutes. Instrumental version. 5 & 1/2 minutes. GODDAMIT. It's the one song from that era that's been cock teased since 99. It's a good thing I love it that much but let's hope Deviations 2 (if it exists in the future for that particular album again) doesn't give us a 6 minute version. I may have to go postal.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    ^^
    You forgot Porter Ricks version which is 7 minutes.

Deviations 2 should be a 4LP set consisting entirely of Stafuckers remixes, to my own please and everyone else's rage.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sesquipedalism View Post
    Also, anyone else feel like the second part of "Feeders" sounds like it's becoming a precursor to the now-15-minute suite of "We're in This Together"?

1. "Feeders"
    2. "Last Heard From"
    3. "Missing Places"
    4. "We're in This Together"

BONUS:
    5. "La Mer" (which I think Trent once said was intended to tie together with the coda of "Together")
    6. "Adrift and at Peace"
    FWIW I used Audacity and pre-existing transitions to create the following 27 minute jam:
    The Frail
    The Wretched
    The Great Collapse (cross-faded into...)
    Missing Places (cross-faded into an intro-truncated...)
    We're In This Together (cross-faded into...)
    Adrift & At Peace
    The Fragile wraps up the Frail motive nicely. Feels like it was meant to be. My favorite is overlapping Collapse & Missing Places, Trent's final "This is what it feels liiiiiiiiiike" goes on over the MP groove.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Listening to this version of 10 Miles High, I'm definitely hearing the Downward Spiral motif in the bridge - from around 3:16, it does almost three full iterations, until the drums kick back in (though the last is mostly overpowered by the main guitar riff returning).

Relistening to the WITT single version, it's now very clearly there for me in the intro.

Has this been obvious to people all along?
    I can't find any mention of the Downward Spiral motif being in 10 Miles High on ninwiki (or anywhere else).

Or is it not present at all and my ears are deceiving me?
    Last edited by noiseball; 01-11-2017 at 04:50 AM. Reason: my inability to count

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by noiseball View Post
    Listening to this version of 10 Miles High, I'm definitely hearing the Downward Spiral motif in the bridge - from around 3:16, it does almost four full iterations, until the drums kick back in (though the last is mostly overpowered by the main guitar riff returning).

Relistening to the WITT single version, it's now very clearly there for me in the intro.

Has this been obvious to people all along?
    I can't find any mention of the Downward Spiral motif being in 10 Miles High on ninwiki (or anywhere else).

Or is it not present at all and my ears are deceiving me?
    Holy shit, dude- I think you're on to something but it's not the TDS motif found in closer, piggy or heresy, etc.- it's the two note ascending/descending flute effect at a lower tempo. It creeps in around 3:38ish and lasts for about 10 seconds. It's also around the 0:10 mark in the beginning of the original version of TMH. Listen to it continually from 1:05 to 1:55 in The Downward spiral or from 2:44 to 3:14 on The Bottom remix off FTDS. It repeats 6 times there and is very clear. After hearing and comparing, I'm going to say it's the same sample- or it's REALLY REALLY close to being the same. And if that is true, then TMH may have a connection to TDS, which would explain its lyrical content Great find, dude. How the fuck did I not spot this?

**And the guitar riff in the beginining of TMH (instrumental) also closely line up with TDS guitar riff at 2:31. Especially the last 3 decending notes in the riff. (Also the guitars in closer @ 3:20) Mind Blown.
    Last edited by Destruct26; 01-09-2017 at 05:27 AM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Some connective tissue:
    Bpm 90 Closer
    Bpm 100 Tds
    Bpm 88 TMH/HEINO
    Bpm 86 All Time Low
    Closer foreshadows the TDS motif, both share motif and similar guitar riffs. TMH/HEINO uses the TDS flute sample, similar guitar riff. TMH lyrics may tie back to the title 'Closer'- 'I'm getting closer..." All Time Low has lyrics (hey! Everything is not ok!) that connect to the title of Apple Instrumental of TMH, 'Hello, everything is not ok' Another lyric similarity for ALT/TMH is the repitition of the word 'High' after the mid sections of both songs. Both are repeated 40-50 times before fade out. All time low is track 5 of Hesitation Marks, which is an album inspired somewhat by TDS, and art-wise. Closer is also track 5, and T Rez has folded some of Closer's lyrics into All Time Low live. I could do this all day. Listen to those fuckers in a row. That's a god damn story within itself.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Destruct26 View Post
    Holy shit, dude- I think you're on to something but it's not the TDS motif found in closer, piggy or heresy, etc.- it's the two note ascending/descending flute effect at a lower tempo. It creeps in around 3:38ish and lasts for about 10 seconds. It's also around the 0:10 mark in the beginning of the original version of TMH. Listen to it continually from 1:05 to 1:55 in The Downward spiral or from 2:44 to 3:14 on The Bottom remix off FTDS. It repeats 6 times there and is very clear. After hearing and comparing, I'm going to say it's the same sample- or it's REALLY REALLY close to being the same. And if that is true, then TMH may have a connection to TDS, which would explain its lyrical content Great find, dude. How the fuck did I not spot this?
    Using Audition, I stretching the section of The Downward Spiral you're talking about by 125% and it syncs very well with the bridge of TMH(instrumental) - the two note effect you're talking about, but also the main TDS motif (which I'm still definitely hearing in TMH).

(Is there a designated/recommended spot for dumping such files/incidental snippets?)

Haven't looked at the guitar riffs just yet.
    Last edited by noiseball; 01-09-2017 at 06:15 AM. Reason: punctuation

Joined (old ETS): 01 Sep 2004 -- Sydney, Australia
    Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Some connective tissue:
    Bpm 90 Closer
    Bpm 100 Tds
    Bpm 88 TMH/HEINO
    Bpm 86 All Time Low
    Closer foreshadows the TDS motif, both share motif and similar guitar riffs. TMH/HEINO uses the TDS flute sample, similar guitar riff. TMH lyrics may tie back to the title 'Closer'- 'I'm getting closer..." All Time Low has lyrics (hey! Everything is not ok!) that connect to the title of Apple Instrumental of TMH, 'Hello, everything is not ok' Another lyric similarity for ALT/TMH is the repitition of the word 'High' after the mid sections of both songs. Both are repeated 40-50 times before fade out. All time low is track 5 of Hesitation Marks, which is an album inspired somewhat by TDS, and art-wise. Closer is also track 5, and T Rez has folded some of Closer's lyrics into All Time Low live. I could do this all day. Listen to those fuckers in a row. That's a god damn story within itself.
    This makes my NIN OCD very horny.

NinWiki that shit!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    The flute part needs to be tabbed out by somebody with a musical ear before we can definitely say it's the same in TDS and 10MH. I'll try clearing them up and overlaying them at the same tempo when I get home tonight.

But we should get sheet music of the part. Who did the Know the Score stuff?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    (Is there a designated/recommended spot for dumping such files/incidental snippets?)
    Well, here it is on Soundcloud anyway: https://soundcloud.com/noiseball/10-...wnward-snippet

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seasonsinthesky View Post
    The flute part needs to be tabbed out by somebody with a musical ear before we can definitely say it's the same in TDS and 10MH. I'll try clearing them up and overlaying them at the same tempo when I get home tonight.

But we should get sheet music of the part. Who did the Know the Score stuff?
    Play TDS (the bottom) at 2:44. It's very clear there as well. The only difference is the tempo. This is God Given and Zero-Sum identical. Trust me. But yes, more people should listen and decide. I can't see how anybody would disagree. And I'm damn good when it comes to stuff like this. Unfortunately, I can't hear the TDS motif @noiseball was speaking of. But that goddamn TDS flute
    jumped out immediately. Sneaky, Trent...

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Well, here it is on Soundcloud anyway: https://soundcloud.com/noiseball/10-...wnward-snippet
    Fucking NAILED it, dude. Thank you.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Some connective tissue:
    Bpm 90 Closer
    Bpm 100 Tds
    Bpm 88 TMH/HEINO
    Bpm 86 All Time Low
    I'm so glad there are people like you who can and are willing to do this. Sometimes I hear things and it drives me crazy because I can't quite pick it out, but I know it's there. Thanks.

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    The surround mix has several bars of the isolated TDS mellotron flute-thing in the back channels.

Here they are lined up at 80 BPM (the 10MH intro tempo). 10MH left, TDS right.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Decided to give 10 Miles High normal and int. a listen, and I must say, that flute heard in The Downward Spiral is definitely in 10MH. And I too always found it interesting how All Time Low has the lyric "Hey! Everything is not okay." and 10MH had the working title of "Hello, everything is not okay." Trent, wyd?

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kulerage View Post
    Decided to give 10 Miles High normal and int. a listen, and I must say, that flute heard in The Downward Spiral is definitely in 10MH. And I too always found it interesting how All Time Low has the lyric "Hey! Everything is not okay." and 10MH had the working title of "Hello, everything is not okay." Trent, wyd?
    you found out his secret. He has only written one song in his life and he's been using it for close to thirty years.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    you found out his secret. He has only written one song in his life and he's been using it for close to thirty years.
    So that's the trick.

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    Play TDS (the bottom) at 2:44. It's very clear there as well. The only difference is the tempo. This is God Given and Zero-Sum identical. Trust me. But yes, more people should listen and decide. I can't see how anybody would disagree. And I'm damn good when it comes to stuff like this. Unfortunately, I can't hear the TDS motif @noiseball was speaking of. But that goddamn TDS flute
    jumped out immediately. Sneaky, Trent...

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post

Something something this is a trent reznor song youtube link

On a serious note: holy fucking shit that's what that always-familiar-nagging-at-me-eery-and-creepy-but-not-quite-placeable noise on 10MH has been all along?! No wonder it's always made me so uncomfortable, TDS' title track was one of the first pieces of music that I ever heard that honestly horrified me.

The fact that, almost 20 years later, people are still finding this kind of shit's a big part of why I don't just love this band, but consider it my favorite band.

Somebody has got to do a merging of 10 Miles High and The Downward Spiral as one huge, weird, upsetting song.

Some other stray connections I've always found were that the lyrics and vocal delivery for The New Flesh always reminded me of TDS quite a bit and the thing has always come across as one of the most sinister and generally malignant songs in the NIN catalog. And it's interesting to tie All Time Low back to 10MH since I always felt it had a ton in common with Into the Void both lyrically ("talking to myself all the way to the station/pictures in my head of the final destination/the passengers arrived today/it looks as though they're here to stay") and musically.
    Last edited by implanted_microchip; 01-10-2017 at 11:16 PM.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post

On a serious note: holy fucking shit that's what that always-familiar-nagging-at-me-eery-and-creepy-but-not-quite-placeable noise on 10MH has been all along?! No wonder it's always made me so uncomfortable, TDS' title track was one of the first pieces of music that I ever heard that honestly horrified me.

The fact that, almost 20 years later, people are still finding this kind of shit's a big part of why I don't just love this band, but consider it my favorite band.

Somebody has got to do a merging of 10 Miles High and The Downward Spiral as one huge, weird, upsetting song.

Some other stray connections I've always found were that the lyrics and vocal delivery for The New Flesh always reminded me of TDS quite a bit and the thing has always come across as one of the most sinister and generally malignant songs in the NIN catalog. And it's interesting to tie All Time Low back to 10MH since I always felt it had a ton in common with Into the Void both lyrically ("talking to myself all the way to the station/pictures in my head of the final destination/the passengers arrived today/it looks as though they're here to stay") and musically.
    Ever hear just the audio of Trent singing that song, center speaker from the 5.1 surround version? That takes the creep factor to a whole new level.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Unfortunately, I can't hear the TDS motif @noiseball was speaking of.
    So, I have attempted to isolate what I think/feel is the motif in 10 Miles High (with an attempt to isolate The Downward Spiral guitar, panned hard right) here: https://soundcloud.com/noiseball/10-...late-tds-motif

I'm starting to worry for my sanity, because to me the motif is very clearly there.

In 10MH(instrumental), at 3:16, the bridge starts, with a bass note fading out.
    There is a metronomic two-note tick-tock part happening, but alongside/"under" this, there is a distorted/flanged noisy synth which - to my ears - plays TDS motif where each note is sustained and continuous (as opposed to discrete plucks of guitar strings or piano keys). The start of each note lines up with the guitar notes in a tempo-adjusted The Downward Spiral.
    Each iteration lasts about 25 seconds:
    1st starts at - 3:16, 2nd - 3:41; 3rd - 4:06 (but then the guitar comes in).
    (I previously said it did almost four full loops - it appears cannot count/really have lost it...)

I don't suppose anyone has 10MH multitracks just lying about... :/

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...-deviations-1/

related:

The Downward Spiral’s title track (a song whose sonic toolbox “10 Miles High” raids extensively
    maybe this was obvious to some all along?
    Or perhaps the reviewer frequents these boards.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/...-deviations-1/

related:

Well, if he does, he owes me and @noiseball a coke.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    So, I have attempted to isolate what I think/feel is the motif in 10 Miles High (with an attempt to isolate The Downward Spiral guitar, panned hard right) here: https://soundcloud.com/noiseball/10-...late-tds-motif

I'm starting to worry for my sanity, because to me the motif is very clearly there.

There is a metronomic two-note tick-tock part happening, but alongside/"under" this, there is a distorted/flanged noisy synth which - to my ears - plays TDS motif where each note is sustained and continuous (as opposed to discrete plucks of guitar strings or piano keys). The start of each note lines up with the guitar notes in a tempo-adjusted The Downward Spiral.
    (I previously said it did almost four full loops - it appears cannot count/really have lost it...)

I hear it a little bit, not a-alot-a bit, but yes- multitracks would help. ALOT-Lol. But hey, look at it this way- you THOUGHT you heard the TDS, more particularly, it's Motif, which in turn made ME listen to it, and I stumbled upon an ACTUAL SAMPLE from the TDS ITSELF, which apparently NOBODY has picked up on, (or at least admitted it whilst have already known) but hey, it's still VERY possible. It's a bitch it has so much layering. Good luck, dude. I will see what I can do with it on my laptop.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Oh my god a reasonable and in depth review of the fragile from pitchfork. I am amaze.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kleiner352 View Post

Well, you're not wrong.

http://www.nin.wiki/The_New_Flesh#The_New_Flesh
    http://www.nin.wiki/The_New_Flesh#Live

Mentioned
    282 Post(s)
    http://www.nin.wiki/Untitled_(from_t...lingapart.com)

Untitled (from thingsfallingapart.com)[edit]

This is the only known version. It is built primarily from a single guitar riff, made up of several bends. It appears to be looped in reverse and processed. The opening and closing are high pass filtered into a quiet, washed out layer, while a distorted bass note enters at various points during the main layer. Interestingly, the opening milliseconds contain the very tail end of "The Great Below," hinting that this piece was originally intended to end the first disc of The Fragile.

^ Does this appear on Deviations anywhere given the above (that I only just read for the first time)?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I just listened to "10 Miles High (Instrumental)" and can clearly hear the TDS motif beginning at 3:16. Nice find!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I have a feeling this will sound snooty, when it's totally not supposed to be, but: I heard lots of TDS references pretty much immediately the first time I heard 10 Miles High, so it's definitely something that someone else could have noticed as well. Though I too would like to think that we've got a Pitchfork lurker in here.

Semi-relatedly, I wonder if there are newer folks at Pitchfork (speaking, like, the last five-six years here) who are NIN fans and sort of feel compelled to "make up" for that Fragile review. I remember being surprised by the amount of coverage NIN started getting on there, some time ago. I suppose it probably coincided with TR+AR doing more soundtracky work which is probably a bit more up their alley anyway, rather than more "straightforward" stompy industrial-rock.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Well, I can't for the life of me hear the motif in 10MH, I even listened to noiseball's isolation and still didn't hear it.