Page 4 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Vinyl Rereleases December 2016 (Broken, TDS, TF)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Ive ordered Ghosts. How exactly do I get the Hi Res Download for it?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Did TDS need to be remastered again? Didn't he remaster it when they did the anniversary re-release with the surround sound, bonus tracks etc? I understand putting it out on vinyl now, but am I really going to hear a difference on the digital files than what they did with the '04 re-release/remaster? Methinks not. B/c with that '04 remaster they put it out in both surround & regular stereo like this one will be.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbie solo View Post
    Did TDS need to be remastered again? Didn't he remaster it when they did the anniversary re-release with the surround sound, bonus tracks etc? I understand putting it out on vinyl now, but am I really going to hear a difference on the digital files than what they did with the '04 re-release/remaster? Methinks not. B/c with that '04 remaster they put it out in both surround & regular stereo like this one will be.
    I'm totally speculating here, but if they announced they're putting out all of the albums in a self-released way like that, it makes me think Trent probably reaquired the rights to all his back catalog from Interscope. I could be wrong, but I'm not expecting the TDS reissue to be radically different from the previous remaster, other than NIN reaping the benefits directly from further sales, which makes a lot of sense and would honestly be pretty awesome. I probably won't be buying TDS Vinyl again, but can't wait for the out-of-print ones to be available again (Year Zero!).

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Weird. I got a confirmation with download links for Not The Actual Events, but not Deviations. Anyone else in the same boat?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    So I guess my original fragile vinyl is likely to tumble in value. I've been too scared to play it so should have probably flipped it ages ago

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slave2thewage View Post
    Weird. I got a confirmation with download links for Not The Actual Events, but not Deviations. Anyone else in the same boat?
    Yes I guess the "download" for NTAE is an error from the store (as it is just an image)

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    So I guess my original fragile vinyl is likely to tumble in value. I've been too scared to play it so should have probably flipped it ages ago
    For a time, but I don't think original pressings ever really lose their value.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The Fragile was bound to be repressed, so this should be no surprise to those holding onto the original and looking at valuations.

Also, sorry but I have no sympathy for someone whose first thoughts that come with a repressing is 'should of flipped the original ages ago'. You should feel liberated and be spinning the crap out of it this morning!

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    So what's the deal with the Hi-Res digital download that came with the Ghosts I–IV vinyl? I'm very interested to compare it to the Blu-ray version.

Remember, Ghosts and The Slip can be shared freely, non-commercially.

Also, archive.org

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Canuckle View Post
    The Fragile was bound to be repressed, so this should be no surprise to those holding onto the original and looking at valuations.

Also, sorry but I have no sympathy for someone whose first thoughts that come with a repressing is 'should of flipped the original ages ago'. You should feel liberated and be spinning the crap out of it this morning!
    True on both counts. Thanks for the positive perspective

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    So what's the deal with the Hi-Res digital download that came with the Ghosts I–IV vinyl? I'm very interested to compare it to the Blu-ray version.

Remember, Ghosts and The Slip can be shared freely, non-commercially.

Also, archive.org
    Putting the 2496 ghosts back on archive was on my 2016 todo list (next week), it keeps getting deleted. That said, I wonder if this reissue is explicitly marked as CC-BY-NC-SA?

Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    i said this elsewhere (possibly earlier in this thread, can't remember) - every vinyl pressing of TDS has been taken from the ORIGINAL CD masters, none of them have been pressed from the DE masters that trent did a few years back. since trent never personally approved a master for vinyl, one of the biggest issues is the track segues being stuck on one side and not transitioning properly into the song that begins the next side. hopefully this new version will correct those issues.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sheepdean View Post
    Download codes are a lot more pointless than a USB stick. You can lose what you download the files to, you can buy an old album with one that has a code no longer usable etc. USB isn't going away any time soon, and the files will last for centuries no matter what happens to the devices they're copied to.
    Welcome to the 21st century. We all need robust digital storage and backups for all manner of shit, not just nin albums. A USB only wins over digital if you haven't sorted your shit out.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eversonpoe View Post
    i said this elsewhere (possibly earlier in this thread, can't remember) - every vinyl pressing of TDS has been taken from the ORIGINAL CD masters, none of them have been pressed from the DE masters that trent did a few years back. since trent never personally approved a master for vinyl, one of the biggest issues is the track segues being stuck on one side and not transitioning properly into the song that begins the next side. hopefully this new version will correct those issues.
    I wouldn't hold my breath though. Didn't the DE have issues that remained from the original segues despite the remastering ? I can't remember off the top of my head, but I remember being frustrated that "they" didn't fix a number of things compared to the original version...

Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmtd View Post
    Welcome to the 21st century. We all need robust digital storage and backups for all manner of shit, not just nin albums. A USB only wins over digital if you haven't sorted your shit out.
    Considering the secure 3-2-1 method of backups includes a physical copy ... just have USB to begin with

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chuenthez View Post
    Yes I guess the "download" for NTAE is an error from the store (as it is just an image)
    It's not an error... Next week at 12:01a on 12/23, check back at the link.

Before the flood was the same way..They sent the links immediately with purchase and then when the digital download was ready it was available in the same spot.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    OK for my stupid question of the day - I assume when the digital content is ready we'll get an email/the my orders section will update with a link?

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    $25 for Broken seems really really reasonable. And then the UK store is charging £35. That's a wee bit over a fair currency exchange. Almost like they got the numbers backwards in fact

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disassociative View Post
    OK for my stupid question of the day - I assume when the digital content is ready we'll get an email/the my orders section will update with a link?
    I assume so, yeah. Worst case scenario, the link you already got with your confirmation email will point to the actual files.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Well, after talking with the wife and making sacrifices on my current long time hobby. I am jumping shit to vinyl. I will be buying one non record a month and currently will search for a player. My first purchase next month will be that fragile record that is limited and hopefully still available by the time i make this jump.

Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    question: the 'lost highway' vinyl (it says it's the 2016 release), is it the 'music on vinyl' (black vinyl) release or a new one?
    Last edited by witte; 12-17-2016 at 12:27 PM.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)

Vinyl Rereleases December 2016

Do you think the sold out vinyls will be back in stock?

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    I don't know about that. Almost all of the sold out ones on the store are old releases - PHM 2010, HM, etc., and it seems like they were just clearing out their stock. Were any of those ever available when the site relaunched, or are they basically just placeholder listings for the old albums?

Mentioned
    180 Post(s)
    Yea, but it's The Downward Spiral

Like, the greatest album ever created by anyone ever. You could tell me there's a couple extra moths scattered around the artwork and I'd probably go scoop up a copy.

Baaaa. Baaaa, I say..

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    Yea, but it's The Downward Spiral

Like, the greatest album ever created by anyone ever. You could tell me there's a couple extra moths scattered around the artwork and I'd probably go scoop up a copy.

Baaaa. Baaaa, I say..
    "we slightly changed the saturation on the artwork so it's a wee bit more yellow now "
    " OMG IT'S SO PERFECT NOW DO YOU ACCEPT PAYMENT IN INTERNAL ORGANS "

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    "we slightly changed the saturation on the artwork so it's a wee bit more yellow now "
    " OMG IT'S SO PERFECT NOW DO YOU ACCEPT PAYMENT IN INTERNAL ORGANS "
    I prefer the subtle muddled colors in the 3rd pressing over the 5th, the earthy tones convey a sense of decay. The more saturated yellow in the subsequent releases is far too jarring and bright, like Everything, it's just a little too up-beat and clashes with the message of the album in such a way that does not disturb the senses as Trent may have wished, but rather is just a put off. The grit, the dark, the dirt, that is the essence of The Downward Spiral.

​While I joke, I'm sure there's probably some bullshit "article" on some "music website" that sounds like this. Furthermore, there will probably be at least one person on the forums that thinks this was serious and either agree or else blast me for being a snob, lol.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Assume you're happy with current album sound and own them all. Excluding Devistions 1, which one would you choose to buy on vinyl? I'm trying to figure out which would have the greatest amount and most differentiated set of goodies, both in way of music and art.

Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ericy210 View Post
    Assume you're happy with current album sound and own them all. Excluding Devistions 1, which one would you choose to buy on vinyl? I'm trying to figure out which would have the greatest amount and most differentiated set of goodies, both in way of music and art.
    There's no way to tell, I think... For a while half of us thought that there were no unheard Fragile tracks to hope for, based on Reznor's own admission that everything ended up being recycled one way or another. See where that got us.
    So in the end, I think no one can tell what kind of goodies NIN can have in stock, how much, or how good. The Slip has remained as it is so far, and we've never heard of additional artwork or demos, so it could go both ways, lots of stuff or nothing at all. On the other hand, we thought that The Fragile well had dried up, as I mentioned. Same for The Downward Spiral, after a dozen remix LPs and EPs, a Limited Edition remaster with a handful of demos, one would assume that there's nothing new to expect on that from, but... Back to The Fragile example.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrz View Post
    There's no way to tell, I think... For a while half of us thought that there were no unheard Fragile tracks to hope for, based on Reznor's own admission that everything ended up being recycled one way or another. See where that got us.
    So in the end, I think no one can tell what kind of goodies NIN can have in stock, how much, or how good. The Slip has remained as it is so far, and we've never heard of additional artwork or demos, so it could go both ways, lots of stuff or nothing at all. On the other hand, we thought that The Fragile well had dried up, as I mentioned. Same for The Downward Spiral, after a dozen remix LPs and EPs, a Limited Edition remaster with a handful of demos, one would assume that there's nothing new to expect on that from, but... Back to The Fragile example.
    All very fair points. I guess that's part of the fun..

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NYRexall View Post
    HEY TRENT

Any plans for a Slam Bamboo reissue??
    Oh man, that was a pretty funny joke in 1995. What a throwback!

On topic... so glad they're doing reissues, finally. I snagged TF for $45 from a Japanese record shop about ten years ago. Considering inflation and exchange rates and all that, $45 in 2016 is pretty amazing.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    These aren't out 'til spring?